Thx To This Forum To Bringing Me To Make My First Motorcycle Experience!

bkkc1976

Hello everybody!

After reading this forum for a long time already i decided to make a trip on a motorbike myself for the first time in my life!

I rented out a kawa 250 r from pattaya for 9000 baht a month,played around a little bit for have at least a little experience on a bike and than headed up north!

My trip was from here(bangkok) to sukhothai,next day to chiang mai,next day to chiang rai,next day to the border in mae sai for my visa and then straight back to chiang mai,after that to pai,then mae hong son and after this i went back to chiang mai via doi inthianon nationalpark and after a good sleep all the way back to bangkok!

The roads after mae hong son back to chiang mai was one of the best funs i ever had in my life!!

The whole trip was so good that i hope i can do the gt loop in tye next months before heading back to germany april next year!!

And when i am back in germany i will get a driving license and a bike as fast as possible...so thx guys for all the reports that brought me to my new hobby! :):D

post-83617-1256275524_thumb.jpg

post-83617-1256275638_thumb.jpg

post-83617-1256275824_thumb.jpg

Never been on a motorbike,having no driving license then renting a motorbike without insurance,as the pattya rental bikes are not covered out of the pattaya area,and then make a trip of let say at least 2500 km in a country that is infamous for its traffic habits.

Some will call it brave.I will call it stupid.

Sounds like a great trip, i've got the exact same photograph from the viewpoint on the loop.

Quite adventurous to do that road on your first trip but I'm glad it all worked out. The Ninja 250 is a great bike for those roads - I can't wait to get up there again...

Never been on a motorbike,having no driving license then renting a motorbike without insurance,as the pattya rental bikes are not covered out of the pattaya area,and then make a trip of let say at least 2500 km in a country that is infamous for its traffic habits.

:) ... are you serious? Learn to take chances and start enjoying your life.

Of course,let's wait till a thai without driver license and/or insurance makes an accident with you and disables you for life.

I am not so sure that you will still say that he was enjoying life.

Hi bkkc1976,

congratulations on your successful trip. What GPS did you use on the Ninja? Did the KSR drove the whole stretch with you?

I would also recommend you to go legal with a German or a Thai driving license, just in case(insurance...).

A health insurance is also recommended if you ride a lot in Thailand.

In my opinion a german driving school can`t teach you very much that would be beneficial to road driving in Thailand but at least you have to show something to the insurance in worst case szenario.

Uwe

How was the Ninja 250 using fuel? How much did the motor strain at 140kph, could it still accelerate instantly, or did you have to wait for it to build up power?

The question wasn't directed at me but i'll answer anyway since i've done the same route on the same bike.

Fuel is about 24-25 kpl, not much difference between cruising and riding "like you stole it"

In terms of power, it needs to be kept in the power band which is between 8k and 11-12k. If you don't like changing gear (or have trouble changing gear at the right time) then buy a bigger bike. If you like a flickable bike and enjoy keeping it on the pipe then it's a great bike especially on these type of roads. My only fault was that the rear brake faded during the long downhill sections. Strange really, maybe I was using it too much (I normally only touch the rear pretty gently) but i was being extra careful not to wash out the front as my gf was on the back so maybe I was using the back more than I usually would.

It's incomparable to a 600, which is why I'll probably get the zx6r if they don't take the piss over price, but as a 250 4 stroke I love it.

So what you are saying is that if the other person, in this case a Thai.. if he does not hold a DL or got insurance, your injury will be worse then if he did. Sorry but i dont see how that would matter?

Maybe what you mean is that the financal aspect wont be as smooth or cheap.

/peace

Of course,let's wait till a thai without driver license and/or insurance makes an accident with you and disables you for life.

So what you are saying is that if the other person, in this case a Thai.. if he does not hold a DL or got insurance, your injury will be worse then if he did. Sorry but i dont see how that would matter?

Maybe what you mean is that the financal aspect wont be as smooth or cheap.

/peace

My point was exactly that the injured party will have to pay for his own expenses and if he is unlucky to be unconscious without prove of personal insurance or money on his body they might even not help him in the hospital and let him die.

Anyway they will throw the uninsured person in jail until he is able to come up with the funds but remember that you can't scratch anything from a rock.

My point was exactly that the injured party will have to pay for his own expenses and if he is unlucky to be unconscious without prove of personal insurance or money on his body they might even not help him in the hospital and let him die.

Anyway they will throw the uninsured person in jail until he is able to come up with the funds but remember that you can't scratch anything from a rock.

no, but you can certainly throw one from a high horse.

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing. Love you're home made rain gear in the first pic! :)

Dunno what grumpy pants is saying about no insurance outside of Pattaya. Most of the rental bikes (especially the new Kwackers) in Pattaya include the basic liability insurance that is required by law. (You can't renew your annual tax sticker without proof of insurance.)

Have to agree that Pai-Mae Hong Song-Mae Sariang is pure bliss on two wheels.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Dunno what grumpy pants is saying about no insurance outside of Pattaya. Most of the rental bikes (especially the new Kwackers) in Pattaya include the basic liability insurance that is required by law. (You can't renew your annual tax sticker without proof of insurance.)

Tony

So kawasaki's are different from other brands when it comes to insurance.Thank you for pointing that out.

By the way you call the insurance required by a law an insurance? :)

Edited by basjke

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Hello everybody!

After reading this forum for a long time already i decided to make a trip on a motorbike myself for the first time in my life!

I rented out a kawa 250 r from pattaya for 9000 baht a month,played around a little bit for have at least a little experience on a bike and than headed up north!

My trip was from here(bangkok) to sukhothai,next day to chiang mai,next day to chiang rai,next day to the border in mae sai for my visa and then straight back to chiang mai,after that to pai,then mae hong son and after this i went back to chiang mai via doi inthianon nationalpark and after a good sleep all the way back to bangkok!

The roads after mae hong son back to chiang mai was one of the best funs i ever had in my life!!

The whole trip was so good that i hope i can do the gt loop in tye next months before heading back to germany april next year!!

And when i am back in germany i will get a driving license and a bike as fast as possible...so thx guys for all the reports that brought me to my new hobby! :):D

post-83617-1256275524_thumb.jpg

post-83617-1256275638_thumb.jpg

post-83617-1256275824_thumb.jpg

Bkkc, Congratulations on the trip! Fantastic! The roads south of MHS that you were on are my favorite as there is so little traffic on the road, lots of curves with good sight distance, and of course all those beautiful mountains. Enjoy your new life, and hope to see you up around CM again soon!

I d say a new biker is born, a brave start :D

The insurance required bay law is usually the only insurance for rental bikes and is valid all over the country. It covers some very basic medical if you have a drivers lisence, and thats it. :)

Riding a rental bike in LOS is great financial risk with or without a driverslisence. If you have an accident and are not in fault, you still have to expect to cover the expenses for own bike and medical. The other party will often not have insurance, lisence or funds and you cant claim compensation in court from a thai with taxed income less than 10k baht/month. Thats more than 90% of the population.

Ride on OP :D

I dont, you just have to know yourself and ride within your ability.. I say well done !!

I remember on AVD rider, some young Dutch guy, only late teens IIRC, got his first license, flew to india, negotiated with the notorious enfield builders, had them make him a full recon / repaint (in india = new) enfield and then set off on a multi 1000 km adventure through the deserts of rajastan to the hill stations of the north and all around the country. Did it have risks, sure as hel_l, do I have major respect for the guy, 100% for sure.

How was the Ninja 250 using fuel? How much did the motor strain at 140kph, could it still accelerate instantly, or did you have to wait for it to build up power?

The question wasn't directed at me but i'll answer anyway since i've done the same route on the same bike.

Fuel is about 24-25 kpl, not much difference between cruising and riding "like you stole it"

In terms of power, it needs to be kept in the power band which is between 8k and 11-12k. If you don't like changing gear (or have trouble changing gear at the right time) then buy a bigger bike. If you like a flickable bike and enjoy keeping it on the pipe then it's a great bike especially on these type of roads. My only fault was that the rear brake faded during the long downhill sections. Strange really, maybe I was using it too much (I normally only touch the rear pretty gently) but i was being extra careful not to wash out the front as my gf was on the back so maybe I was using the back more than I usually would.

It's incomparable to a 600, which is why I'll probably get the zx6r if they don't take the piss over price, but as a 250 4 stroke I love it.

What about power at cruising speed? when I rode a friend's cbr 150 it was straining at 140kph...Is there still power left to go above 140kph? Is it a matter of just twisting the throttle and accelerating instantly?

Or is it like twisting the throttle and having to wait 30-60 seconds before it builds up momentum then goes becase its almost maxed out? eg: CBR 150

In other words, is it straining to do 140-160 kph or is it easily achieved with more power in store after exceeding this speed?

Hi

I wonder how many of you guys have been driving without license, give him a break

That's right..i was one of them, actually made my Drivers Licence here(Motorbike) ...but i drove bikes before in various countries.

No Risk - No Fun!

Keep the rubberside down,

mbox

Actually nobody is calling me stupid!

But thx for your STUPID reply!

What about power at cruising speed? when I rode a friend's cbr 150 it was straining at 140kph...Is there still power left to go above 140kph? Is it a matter of just twisting the throttle and accelerating instantly?

Or is it like twisting the throttle and having to wait 30-60 seconds before it builds up momentum then goes becase its almost maxed out? eg: CBR 150

In other words, is it straining to do 140-160 kph or is it easily achieved with more power in store after exceeding this speed?

It gets to 140 pretty quickly and then from 140-160 isn't that quick, I wouldn't want to be overtaking a car that was doing 150 unless

I could see a long way in front. It tops out around 165. Great for the twisties but for long journeys there are times you want a bit more power over 140 IMO. It takes a while to get used to the high revving engine as well, there's not much vibration but you're always aware that the engine is spinning really fast for long periods.

They're solid bikes though, there's guys on the 250 forums that have been commuting daily on these things (and riding them at near the top end speed most of the time) and the bikes have done well over 60,000 kms with no issues. Given your line of questioning though I think the 650 Ninja would suit you better.

The bikes are basic insured,taxed with white plates...so the insurance would cover it if i had a driving license!

this is exactly the reason why i didnt rent a bike in CM because of the 1.class insurance its much more expensive and as i dont have a driving license the insurance is worthless...i know that and i knew that!!i have a german private insurance that will cover this kinds of accidents....but f... o..!

i am not a stupid teenager that rents out the biggest bike and than starts riding through the mountains like a maniac!i just chosed the bike cause i wanted something with alittle bit power in the mountain parts and an easy going 130 km/h on the long way between bangkok and chiang mai!

I know what i can do and what i cannot do..!!

I DONT PLAY WITH MY LIFE and I AM NOT SCARED TO LIVE IT EITHER!

end of discussion!

Hi bkkc1976,

congratulations on your successful trip. What GPS did you use on the Ninja? Did the KSR drove the whole stretch with you?

I would also recommend you to go legal with a German or a Thai driving license, just in case(insurance...).

A health insurance is also recommended if you ride a lot in Thailand.

In my opinion a german driving school can`t teach you very much that would be beneficial to road driving in Thailand but at least you have to show something to the insurance in worst case szenario.

Uwe

Hello.

i used the garmin nuvi from my neighbour and mounted a charger plug-in on the bike and when it started raining i just putted it into my pocket!

The guy with the ksr i met in chiang mai and after a few beers....okokok...after a lottttttt of beers the idea was born that he will rent the ksr and come with me...i just went up front and all 30 minutes waited for him...but its a good bike(ksr) and its absolutly possible to do it if you dont have lagguage!

The bikes are basic insured,taxed with white plates...so the insurance would cover it if i had a driving license!

this is exactly the reason why i didnt rent a bike in CM because of the 1.class insurance its much more expensive and as i dont have a driving license the insurance is worthless...i know that and i knew that!!i have a german private insurance that will cover this kinds of accidents....but f... o..!

i am not a stupid teenager that rents out the biggest bike and than starts riding through the mountains like a maniac!i just chosed the bike cause i wanted something with alittle bit power in the mountain parts and an easy going 130 km/h on the long way between bangkok and chiang mai!

I know what i can do and what i cannot do..!!

I DONT PLAY WITH MY LIFE and I AM NOT SCARED TO LIVE IT EITHER!

end of discussion!

I'm not gonna waste anymore breath on this topic.From your latest post it is clear enough that you don't have any idea about when and what an insurance covers,not the thai basic insurance nor your own private insurance.

Enjoy your trips and don't pay attention to my posts,just consider yourself lucky that you haven't had an accident because you wouldn't be posting on this forum for a long time. :D:)

do post on the GT Rider forum as well - there you will find an incredible selection of road trip reports.

Welcome to the Thai biker community! And when someone is concerned about your health or potential legal issues.

this shows c a r i n g. We don't want to hear you are rotting in some jail or

are in danger of dying like a Turkish biker, due to no money for the cops,

so they won't allow the badly injured biker to be driven in an ambulance...

There are some very unpleasant realities over here - protect yourself and don't be offended.

Ride on!

Chris