Incident On Sukhumvit What Should I Do?

rcox81

I took a taxi to a 7-11 and asked him to wait for me until I came out. When I came out of the 7-11 a pickup was honking at the taxi. I gave him a look like "relax dude" and got in the taxi. Before the next stop light the truck pulled alongside the car and tapped on my window with a sword that was almost 3 feet long. I made a motion like "im calling the police."

the taxi took me home, wrote down the trucks plate, make and model.

what should i do from here?

im tired of thais thinking their generals in the third reich even when theire half your size but i need some motivation to act on this.

Where you went wrong was giving a dirty look . Up to them, what they do ,why get involved, live and let live , that way you will be aloud to live,You will never win in Thailand because you are a falang and always will be, Sorry but thats the truth ,

Leave it.

Will be more trouble than worth and maybe, maybe could repercuss.

In ALL countries you will find an element resenting foreigners, imigrants or what have you.

It is not just amongst Thais, even though parts of Suk. have virtually been taken over by us lot.

" ...i need some motivation to act on this"

As you can tell, the only action that will resolve this situation is moving back to from wherever we came. As foreigners, we aren't appreciated getting involved in such (original incident) disputes.

Edited by Curt1591

I took a taxi to a 7-11 and asked him to wait for me until I came out. When I came out of the 7-11 a pickup was honking at the taxi. I gave him a look like "relax dude" and got in the taxi. Before the next stop light the truck pulled alongside the car and tapped on my window with a sword that was almost 3 feet long. I made a motion like "im calling the police."

im tired of thais thinking their generals in the third reich even when theire half your size but i need some motivation to act on this.

lack of parking and impatient drivers on Sukhumvit. I've seen worse happenings there.

At least your taxi driver had the courtesy to take you home safely, unlike incidents where a taxi driver shoots you.

just be more mindful.. you never know when a weirdo nut will surface in a situation anywhere.

You probably stared eye to eye at him for a few seconds, "Morng naa kan" มองหน้ากัน This is a serious insult in Thailand. A challenge to take it further almost! Let it go... forget about it, but learn from the incident too.

This is very typical of what foreigners do - giving nasty looks and acting like they own the country. Sorry, but what applies back home doesn't always work here!

So you were a chicken and "ran" away - should have thought about the ramifications of your actions BEFORE you gave him a nasty look! Serves you right!

Same goes for those who think they can just cross the road and expect cars to stop for them. This ain't Europe or North America! Don't expect Thais to kow tow to you just because you are blond!

Go and report this to the police - have fun dealing with Thai bureaucracy! hhehehehehehehe

This is very typical of what foreigners do - giving nasty looks and acting like they own the country. Sorry, but what applies back home doesn't always work here!

So you were a chicken and "ran" away - should have thought about the ramifications of your actions BEFORE you gave him a nasty look! Serves you right!

Same goes for those who think they can just cross the road and expect cars to stop for them. This ain't Europe or North America! Don't expect Thais to kow tow to you just because you are blond!

Go and report this to the police - have fun dealing with Thai bureaucracy! hhehehehehehehe

Lucky it was a pickup truck and not a heavily tinted Benz...the one that did battles with public buses... :)

I sinc, we forigners do not have to act same Thais. Only this "do nothing and smile" let some ... do like the driver did.

As you have the trucks plate, make and model i woud complain to the police. I know after this not much will be done, but after your complain the police has to investigate at there own. Maybe they confront the like to mafia guy as this guy did comit a serios violation!?

Report to the police since you've got the details and hopefully the taxi driver's details too as a witness...the rest is up to them.

Whilst I do not condone anyone waving a sword in a threathening manner for a minor incident, I also think the OP need to remember the taxi was waiting for him and presumably obstructing traffic? Perhaps a "thanks for your patience and sorry for blocking traffic" gesture may have been more appropriate than a "relax dude" look. Sorry that you are "im tired of thais thinking their generals in the third reich even when theire half your size..." but perhaps some locals are tired of farangs thinking it's quite OK to block traffic.

There is no point getting involved in confrontations with locals. Just need to be mindful, and avoid trouble. Has always worked for me. :)

there is no point in getting involved in any confrontations with anyone-period

what is it with this sort of myth that a drunk local thug is anymore of a danger than any other, any where else in the world?

let me tell, there is zero differnce, bar the obvious size issue

There is no point getting involved in confrontations with locals. Just need to be mindful, and avoid trouble. Has always worked for me. :D

what is it with this sort of myth that a drunk local thug is anymore of a danger than any other, any where else in the world?

That would quite correct. I don't think that I said that I would encourage any confrontation with anybody. I would ask though, why do you carry a blade? :)

You need some motivation to snitch like a little B! #%H?

If you blocked me and gave me the dirty looks without apologizing .id chases u and stick that sword where the sun don’t shine.

Peace.

If you blocked me and gave me the dirty looks without apologizing .id chases u and stick that sword where the sun don’t shine.

Peace.

LOL, so you would punish him by making him watch you stick a sword up your a55? Would would you do if he kissed your girlfriend? Chop your own ba11s off to punish him? Wait, did someone kiss your girlfriend and now you are overcompensating trying to show that you still have ba11s. :)

Edited by Tim207

There is no point getting involved in confrontations with locals. Just need to be mindful, and avoid trouble. Has always worked for me. :D

That would quite correct. I don't think that I said that I would encourage any confrontation with anybody. I would ask though, why do you carry a blade? :)

nice to see a senisible dialog thanks

i carry a blade ( better to say folding knife) simply because i feel like i am making myself and others and when i say others i mean joe public safer

i know i may be called a knight or made fun of insulted , told i am another guy ( check the youtube) even by a guy here i once helped out ( think it was him) - thats cool- but the reality simply is that in all my years of carrying one i can say that the only people who wished i did not were the bad guys

conversely i would say all of those that this self appointed mad knight assisted (i will betcha are )glad i did ( do)

i had better not offer to back this up by offering to show proof of this or i may be further insulted by someone who has 18 months of hard full on combat but does not like to boast about it ( exuse me hav'nt you just...?)

i mean , can you see my point here? i know that there is no hard and fast rule, but its never yet gone against me, it may do, i may have it taken of me and used against me, and/or others

but so far this has not happened

do you see where i am coming from?

If you blocked me and gave me the dirty looks without apologizing .id chases u and stick that sword where the sun don't shine.

Peace.

too aggressive man, but i know you may be kidding, better not chase trouble

be prepared but avoid it

a guy should only use violence when it is offered

showing something is usually a sign that they dont want to use it

besides , have to ever tried to shove a blade up a guys ass?

nice to see a senisible dialog thanks

i carry a blade ( better to say folding knife) simply because i feel like i am making myself and others and when i say others i mean joe public safer

i know i may be called a knight or made fun of insulted , told i am another guy ( check the youtube) even by a guy here i once helped out ( think it was him) - thats cool- but the reality simply is that in all my years of carrying one i can say that the only people who wished i did not were the bad guys

conversely i would say all of those that this self appointed mad knight assisted (i will betcha are )glad i did ( do)

i had better not offer to back this up by offering to show proof of this or i may be further insulted by someone who has 18 months of hard full on combat but does not like to boast about it ( exuse me hav'nt you just...?)

i mean , can you see my point here? i know that there is no hard and fast rule, but its never yet gone against me, it may do, i may have it taken of me and used against me, and/or others

but so far this has not happened

do you see where i am coming from?

Thank you dave for taking the time to give an explanation. I think we could continue to debate this for sometime, but probably easier to agree to disagree on the benefits of carrying a knife.

You have your reasons for carrying, and I have mine for not -it's pretty simple. Anyway, the important thing for people to be is aware of their environment, and if at all possible avoid confrontation at all costs. Just for the record dave, no I haven't had 18 months of hard full on combat. :)

should have just done a slight bow giving a sorry gesture (thai style) before entering back to your taxi and not the "relax dude" kinda look.

Explorer

Why sorry? Sorry for what? What you SHOULD have done was just ignore it completely. Not even looked at the other driver.

Oh and I sincerely hope you and your taxi driver were smart enough to ensure that he didn't follow you home because if he knows where you live, your troubles with him have barely begun.

Next time remember IGNORE!, NO EYE CONTACT!