Buying Property In Pattaya

This is a public forum with rules. Moderators do not necessarily have the expertise or time to look into 'cases'. Let's keep in mind that situations vary greatly and often the specifics aren't posted in the forum.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you buy real estate in Pattaya (and surrounding areas) which area do you think is the best to buy condos/houses? Why?

I would say the obvious Central for investment and resale reasons. Surrounding areas i would personally give Jomtien a wide berth just doesn't do it for me over there, but would defiantly invest in Naklua if the right opportunity came along.

I bought off plan in Central 18 months ago 122 square meter corner unit for 3.5 and sold 3 week's ago for 4.3, it was on the market for 2 days and I got a deposit and now fully paid.

There are plenty of buyers out there but only if you have something a bit special for sale, many condo developments in Pattaya I wouldn't buy if they offered me a 50% discount, you need to look hard for the good ones.

When you buy real estate in Pattaya (and surrounding areas) which area do you think is the best to buy condos/houses? Why?

I would say the obvious Central for investment and resale reasons. Surrounding areas i would personally give Jomtien a wide berth just doesn't do it for me over there, but would defiantly invest in Naklua if the right opportunity came along.

I bought off plan in Central 18 months ago 122 square meter corner unit for 3.5 and sold 3 week's ago for 4.3, it was on the market for 2 days and I got a deposit and now fully paid.

There are plenty of buyers out there but only if you have something a bit special for sale, many condo developments in Pattaya I wouldn't buy if they offered me a 50% discount, you need to look hard for the good ones.

I totally agree with you. It seems like Central Pattaya is the best area for returns at the moment. Your return for the investment sounds extremely good. Yes, you are also correct about the product that stands out from the rest. Jomtien and also Pratumnak are hot locations to invest for both houses and condos alike. I personally think this is a good time to buy real estate in Pattaya because if you have the cash in hand you have the upper hand in negotiations because it is a buyer's market. Don't you think so?

I would say Jomtien is one of the best areas around, much better roads (or at least will be when complete), less traffic congestion, better beach, easy access to Sukhumvit, Tesco, Big C and soon the new Makro.

And if you need your Pattaya fix it's just a short hop over the hill!

What the hel_l are you trying to say?

Are you talking about a condo or do you want to sell a house under the company theme?

I am talking about property in general.

If you are buying property in Pattaya and need to talk to a Broker/Real Estate Agent who posses the necessary experience and the product knowledge please contact us. We have a list of quality properties with reasonable prices in all areas in Pattaya. We are a certified member of the Real Estate Broker's Association of Thailand and Eastern Seaboard. If you have any questions regarding buying property we are happy to answer them. Benchmark Property Consultants (You can PM me or contact us through our website).

'Never ask a barber if you need a haircut'

Translation: A real estate broker in Pattaya (or anywhere) is the last person any newbie should be looking to for advice. There are rare-exceptions, just as there are with financial planners, but 99% of real estate brokers (as with financial planners) are sharks out to take advantage of people and earn a quick buck. The very good ones are usually so overwhelmed with referrals and clients that they wont have the time to walk a n00b through the process - but if you can find one (through referral-not an advertisement or spam forum post) this would be one way to learn about a market. The best way though is to ask others who are investing in it or have invested in it, particularly those who have done so for a long period of time.

In short, I'd trust the collective opinions of TV over any random real estate broker every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Edited by DegenFarang

Wow this thread is a bunch of spam, I hadn't even read it all the way through before making the above post.

The opinions of real estate brokers are next to worthless on this topic in my view and have ruined this thread.

Do any expat condo investors want to weigh in on whether or not now would be a good time to invest in Pattaya? What a good area to buy would be in, possibly a particular (finished) development? (Benchmark I have no interest in your opinion, thanks).

Aahh so that was you? If i'm correct i think you're talking about #201 overlooking the pool? You did well on that deal. I got a call from Noy the day before you signed as i was very keen on that unit. I ended up buying 2 in Apus up the road with a 17% discount off list price. I'm hoping to flip one of them come settlement time.

All done and dusted now Transit. Sounds like you got yourself a good deal anyway. This is the thing you have to ask for discount, if you don't ask you don't get, that's where a % of your profit is.

All the best with your new purchases.

Since you bought something recently I am asking you, what made you think of buying now? In other words are you buying now because you think this is the right time to buy real estate in Pattaya?

All done and dusted now Transit. Sounds like you got yourself a good deal anyway. This is the thing you have to ask for discount, if you don't ask you don't get, that's where a % of your profit is.

Since you bought something recently I am asking you, what made you think of buying now? In other words are you buying now because you think this is the right time to buy real estate in Pattaya?

When you buy a condo in Pattaya what communal facilities would you expect to have?

When you buy a condo in Pattaya what communal facilities would you expect to have?

Good morning Benchmark

I have been following your recent threads with great interest.

I hope that you don't mind me joining this one...

In this day and age I would expect all new condo projects to have communal facilities that at least include:

Free Wifi Internet zone

Coffee shop

Swimming pool

Pool / sun deck

24 hour security

Fitness facility (optional due to the competitiveness of the fitness market)

The following would be great buying / selling factors:

concierge service

shuttle service from (say) the depths of Pratumnak to the Baht bus route.

You going to tell me the important ones that I've missed?

Regards

Rob

When's the right time to do anything? I don't know if it's the right time or not, some will say yes, some no. People need to think for themselves and weigh things up. If someone needs to ask the question "is it the right time to buy" then to me, that person is the sort that needs to be lead and can't think for themselves. If I can buy something and sell it on for a profit whether the property market is doing well or not then I will do. Likewise, If i was looking for a home to live in and I found something that was a good price compared to what else is available then I would buy it, again whether the property market was doing well or not.

Just use some common sense and get out there and get a feel of things. I tell you one thing though, you have to either live here or be here on a long stay to have any chance of finding yourself a bargain.

Looking at a website and booking a flight for a view then not wanting to go home without buying something (as many do) will end in tears. Spain is a prime example, there are hundreds and thousands of empty homes that people can't give away, many flown out there by an agent and driven from one development to another until they finally buy something out of desperation because they can't wait then regretted it later.

Supply and demand... its been saturated in Spain with to many properties and not enough buyers, that could happen here with the amount of new builds going up all over the place, not saying it will but there's only so many buyers you can sell to.

Back to now...good old fashion footwork is the way to go, get out there amongst it all, think for yourself and find yourself a deal, they're out there you just have to work hard to find them.

Good morning Benchmark

I have been following your recent threads with great interest.

I hope that you don't mind me joining this one...

In this day and age I would expect all new condo projects to have communal facilities that at least include:

Free Wifi Internet zone

Coffee shop

Swimming pool

Pool / sun deck

24 hour security

Fitness facility (optional due to the competitiveness of the fitness market)

The following would be great buying / selling factors:

concierge service

shuttle service from (say) the depths of Pratumnak to the Baht bus route.

You going to tell me the important ones that I've missed?

Regards

Rob

Hi Fivestar, I highly appreciate your feedback. I think all points you mentioned are quite important for a good condominium project. In addition to that to have rental management service would be a plus, don't you think so? I am looking forward to discuss about some good condo projects to buy in Pattaya, in this thread soon. I would appreciate your input. Thanks again.

When's the right time to do anything? I don't know if it's the right time or not, some will say yes, some no. People need to think for themselves and weigh things up. If someone needs to ask the question "is it the right time to buy" then to me, that person is the sort that needs to be lead and can't think for themselves. If I can buy something and sell it on for a profit whether the property market is doing well or not then I will do. Likewise, If i was looking for a home to live in and I found something that was a good price compared to what else is available then I would buy it, again whether the property market was doing well or not.

Just use some common sense and get out there and get a feel of things. I tell you one thing though, you have to either live here or be here on a long stay to have any chance of finding yourself a bargain.

Looking at a website and booking a flight for a view then not wanting to go home without buying something (as many do) will end in tears. Spain is a prime example, there are hundreds and thousands of empty homes that people can't give away, many flown out there by an agent and driven from one development to another until they finally buy something out of desperation because they can't wait then regretted it later.

Supply and demand... its been saturated in Spain with to many properties and not enough buyers, that could happen here with the amount of new builds going up all over the place, not saying it will but there's only so many buyers you can sell to.

Back to now...good old fashion footwork is the way to go, get out there amongst it all, think for yourself and find yourself a deal, they're out there you just have to work hard to find them.

You are absolutely correct. Doing your home work before buying and doing it in the "real world" is importnant before buying a condo. Certainly in Pattaya there is a very good choice to select from in many different locations. For a new comer I think it's good to work with a reputed agent to look at different choices they can buy for their money. Honestly as a real estate agent I am satisfied when we can find what the buyer is exactly looking for. Commission to me is not a priority and customer satisfaction comes first. I have been in the market long enough to know the benefits of customer satisfaction and how it helps to have repeat business. If a potential buyer consults us before you buy your next condo we are confident that we can find a good condo which comes with excellent value for your money whether it is a new condo or off the plan. I will discuss more about the best condo projects to buy in this market in this thread soon. Citizen Smith highly appreciate your input as a experienced buyer.

Edited by benchmark

Things to consider:

Thai neighbours who dont maintain their properties or turn their house into a buisiness.

Future resale value - as property is generaly overpriced and building of new condos and houses continues at breakneck speed.

Foreigneirs can not own a house in any secure or reasonable way ( lawyers and agents will tell you different). Government are currently looking into property held in nominee company structure.

Poor currency exchange rates. Eg. if you bought a property using UK pounds today you would be paying considerably more than you would have 18 months ago (30%) and if the baht weakens you stand to make a big loss.

If house bought using illeagal nominee company structure then you ave to piss on every year doing accounts.

So many rental properties availabel with rents falling.

On the plus side -

Things to consider:

Thai neighbours who dont maintain their properties or turn their house into a buisiness.

Future resale value - as property is generaly overpriced and building of new condos and houses continues at breakneck speed.

Foreigneirs can not own a house in any secure or reasonable way ( lawyers and agents will tell you different). Government are currently looking into property held in nominee company structure.

Poor currency exchange rates. Eg. if you bought a property using UK pounds today you would be paying considerably more than you would have 18 months ago (30%) and if the baht weakens you stand to make a big loss.

If house bought using illeagal nominee company structure then you ave to piss on every year doing accounts.

On the plus side -

Certainly good points. Majority of foreigners prefer to buy condos because they can own it in their own name. Have foreigners stopped buying houses in company names? I know they are still buying. I agree that is not the ideal way to own a property but we must not forget that many owners have accepted company ownership as an option. It will be good if the government can make foreigners feel more welcome in terms of the land ownership laws.

Things to consider:

On the plus side -

Which is why i'm about to rent in Pattaya not buy even though I have a company structure that would easily let me do so.

But more importantly the thing that amazes me day in day out is the stupidity of people who buy villas off plan in Pattaya. With the best will in the World it's a terrible idea, you simply have no idea what the final product will turn out like despite what the brouchures say, and 9 times out of 10 you're going to look at several aspects of it and think "That wasn't supposed to be like that". I have been looking at "high end" villas in Pattaya on and off for several years now and almost none of the villas that are really good quality will ever come back on the market as resale properties - when you find a good one you hang on to it or sell it to a friend if you really need to let it go.

Get your feet on the ground, let the agents you've approached know you're not desperate but have cash waiting for the right property and use a well established Bangkok law firm to handle the deal if you wish to put it in a company name. Anything else is simply too risky considering the money involved and the odds are still stacked against you finding anything worth the time and effort.

And don't listen to property agents unless you're very brave or very stupid, they need to sell properties at the end of the day and you will always be just another punter.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, you have a valid point. These days buyers are much more cautious before they invest their hard earned money on a property purchase. Obviously Pattaya property market has a lot to offer but like you said buyer or the property agent needs to be selective to buy in a project that delivers what they promise. But however if you have cash in hand in my own opinion this is a right time to start looking to buy. You need to take some time to do your research looking at different options in the market and to compare what you get for your money because like Warren Buffet said "Price is what you pay and value is what you get". I know that there are projects or private sellers in the market now who will listen to the clients not like before so it's not too hard for a potential buyer to negotiate a good deal with them. Finally you are absolutely correct about using the lawyer because I always advice my clients to use a lawyer in a property purchase to do the due diligence before they sign and pay anything. Recently I cautioned one of my clients who didn't buy a property through us to do the due diligence on the property they were going to buy because that deal sounded a bit too good to be true kind of. They took my advice and used a lawyer to check the title deed and surprisingly the lawyer found out that there was a 6 million baht loan registered in the title deed which the seller didn't ever mention to the buyer about. In fact when they showed the title deed they covered this loan from the buyer when they made the copy of the deed. Fortunately my clients didn't pay any deposit at that time and they stopped their wire transfer from UK immediately. This is one good example to show that sometimes with our experience we can serve clients. I did not charge anything for my service as I thought it is my duty to guide these new comer clients out of the trouble they were going to get in to. In the end these clients were highly appreciating my guidance and I introduced a lawyer to assist them to handle this transaction.

I introduced a lawyer to assist them to handle this transaction.

Rule number 1 never use a solicitor recommended by an agent, never ever, it should be at the top of your list of no no's.

It was good you saved your client a lot of money through your recommendation Benchmark but as a general rule of thumb you should always get recommendations from a third party IE: Other foreign property owners in your area, never from an agent.

I introduced a lawyer to assist them to handle this transaction.

Rule number 1 never use a solicitor recommended by an agent, never ever, it should be at the top of your list of no no's.

It was good you saved your client a lot of money through your recommendation Benchmark but as a general rule of thumb you should always get recommendations from a third party IE: Other foreign property owners in your area, never from an agent.

Yes, I completely agree with you. But I would recommend the client to consult their Embassy or a consulate to get a third party recommendation. If the client has their own solicitor that's completely fine. What I expect is for them to use a solicitor in the first place. It is important that they also consult the right kind of lawyer because we all know how some of the lawyers here work in their own interest to make profit for them not being fair to their clients. But in the case I mentioned if those clients didn't use the lawyer I recommended they will potentially loose a big amount of money. They are new to the market and trusted me to recommend someone to them as they didn't have any connections. Practically in some situations it is difficult to follow the theories but how ever "Due Diligence" is of utmost importance before buying something from anybody.

Edited by benchmark

You've taken quite a bit of stick here and I admire you for keeping your cool, retaliation is a dead give away from someone unprofessional.

Good luck with your business, be honest and upfront every time and I'm sure you will make a good name for yourself.

Thank you CitizenSmith I highly appreciate your feedback. As real estate agents we need to be patient as well. What do you think about the idea of this market getting over saturated in the future? Is this really going to happen or are we going to experience another booming market with the improved infrastructure compared to what it was 5 years ago?

You've taken quite a bit of stick here and I admire you for keeping your cool, retaliation is a dead give away from someone unprofessional.

Good luck with your business, be honest and upfront every time and I'm sure you will make a good name for yourself.

Thank you CitizenSmith I highly appreciate your feedback. As real estate agents we need to be patient as well. What do you think about the idea of this market getting over saturated in the future? Is this really going to happen or are we going to experience another booming market with the improved infrastructure compared to what it was 5 years ago?

Improved infrastructure needs more explanation. The place is getting worse by the day. 5 years ago, traveling up Soi Siam Country Club, Nern Plub Wan, Khao Talo etc. was quite easy. Now they are shocking. What used to be nice areas are looking like apartmenthell, the traffic management has gone downhill rapidly, and NO ONE seems to care.

Once you reach the SP 5 area, it gets quite nice on Soi Siam Country Club, but for how long?

As an example, the Canary Islands tourist areas were properly designed and planned, but it is really open season out here.

Improved infrastructure needs more explanation. The place is getting worse by the day. 5 years ago, traveling up Soi Siam Country Club, Nern Plub Wan, Khao Talo etc. was quite easy. Now they are shocking. What used to be nice areas are looking like apartmenthell, the traffic management has gone downhill rapidly, and NO ONE seems to care.

Once you reach the SP 5 area, it gets quite nice on Soi Siam Country Club, but for how long?

As an example, the Canary Islands tourist areas were properly designed and planned, but it is really open season out here.

It's a good and interesting question and thanks for asking. In the western world there are organized infrastructure, medical care, etc because in these countries all citizens pay a high tax on everything which goes to the government. In return government is using this money to maintain and improve the infrastructure, health care, etc. This is not the way things work in developing Asian countries like Thailand. We all know that we don't pay any property taxes or high income or other government taxes in this country. But why do we enjoy living here? Why do we buy or invest on property here? simply because the cost of the property is low and because we don't pay high taxes like in other western countries. The price comparison between Spain/ Canary Islands and Pattaya will explain that definitely buying in Pattaya is much more value for your money. Infrastructure? Comparison is Pattaya has a reasonably good infrastructure and compared to what it was 5 years ago we have better telecommunication systems, shopping malls, International standard hospitals, improving roads, International hotel chains, etc. Some foreigners who are here for some time actually have forgot why they are here and the benefits they enjoy. If you look at the positive side yes things are getting better and Pattaya has more to offer than before and it's transforming in to a International resort city. I know there are few things like road works dragging for sometime and traffic light issues, etc. But as we know in Thailand things are not happening that fast even if we want it that way. But at some point these things will improve and will be completed. Pattaya is a growing city and that's why we see all these changes, improvements everywhere. If we can focus on the benefits and positive side of living here I think we should be able to not to complain but to help improve these areas which need to be improved. Overall I think living in Pattaya is affordable and the lifestyle you can have here as a foreigner would cost us a fortune in the western world.

It's a good and interesting question and thanks for asking. In the western world there are organized infrastructure, medical care, etc because in these countries all citizens pay a high tax on everything which goes to the government. In return government is using this money to maintain and improve the infrastructure, health care, etc. This is not the way things work in developing Asian countries like Thailand. We all know that we don't pay any property taxes or high income or other government taxes in this country. But why do we enjoy living here? Why do we buy or invest on property here? simply because the cost of the property is low and because we don't pay high taxes like in other western countries. The price comparison between Spain/ Canary Islands and Pattaya will explain that definitely buying in Pattaya is much more value for your money. Infrastructure? Comparison is Pattaya has a reasonably good infrastructure and compared to what it was 5 years ago we have better telecommunication systems, shopping malls, International standard hospitals, improving roads, International hotel chains, etc. Some foreigners who are here for some time actually have forgot why they are here and the benefits they enjoy. If you look at the positive side yes things are getting better and Pattaya has more to offer than before and it's transforming in to a International resort city. I know there are few things like road works dragging for sometime and traffic light issues, etc. But as we know in Thailand things are not happening that fast even if we want it that way. But at some point these things will improve and will be completed. Pattaya is a growing city and that's why we see all these changes, improvements everywhere. If we can focus on the benefits and positive side of living here I think we should be able to not to complain but to help improve these areas which need to be improved. Overall I think living in Pattaya is affordable and the lifestyle you can have here as a foreigner would cost us a fortune in the western world.

I copied this from another thread. This person says it all. It's all about being positive and appreciating the benefits you get by living in Pattaya and not to focus on the negatives. This is a person who has lived here long time too.

................................................................................

................................................................................

Well; to all of those 'wingers-oer-Pattaya': READ THIS:

I have lived in Pattaya for almost 18 years and thoroughly enjoyed it ! !

It's a bit like TV in most European Countries: there'll be a number of Porno-Channels - however; nobody is holding a gunto your head, forcing you to watch any of them. There are buttons on the remote,which will take you to CNN, BBC, Nat.Geographics, ANPL etc. So: the choice is entirely yours.

Likewise in Pattaya; sometimes a tear goes by where I (we) don't see the Walking Street, Soi 6, 7 or 8. Only when we get visitors from overseas, do we venture to these areas and come home with cheeck-musscles hurting from laughing so much.

The reason WE love Pattaya is this:

1. Superb Shopping (You can buy most everything you can at home,at places like Foodland; Frienship, Carefour et al)

2. Superb Restaurants (Virtually unlimited choice, at prices that puts most of the rest of Thaiand to shame)

3. Superbs shops (in fact, there is an abundance of shops and malls for clothes and everything else here)

4. Some great Used-Book shops.

5. Superb Sailing

My point is, nobody is forcing anyone to ive in "The Circus", so pick your residence with some foresight and thought.

Pattaya is a truly terrific plae to live (near to) !

:)

JGK/Pattaya

Today I have seen a new condo project from the owners of the Nova Group who is my friend Mr. Rony Fineman. It's called "The Cliff" and it's situated in the up market Cozy Beach area. The price for a 37 Sqm large studio starts from just Baht 1.8 Million. This is a really good value for money project from a developer who has a very good track record and credentials. The show units are now open so if you need to visit this exciting project just let me know. Very attractive payment plan and nice show units.

A client of mine asked for advice to buy in Siam Ocean View condo in Pratumnak Soi 6. I think it is a good investment because he is buying for rental returns and returns there is as high as 10% P/A. What is your opinion Citizensmith? Would appreciate your input.

I just stumbled across this thread. I am quite shocked by it.

Benchmark, I don't think you are well served by this thread. It appears to be an advertisement for you. I, for one, would be very wary of doing business with you because instead of advertising in a straighforward way, through an ad, you instead try to make this seem to be just a normal thread. I believe this seems underhanded and does not reflect well on you.

If I were you, I would ask the moderators to remove this thread and would stop advertising in this manner--I really think it does a lot more damage than good.

Edited by Jimmyd

I just stumbled across this thread. I am quite shocked by it.

Benchmark, I don't think you are well served by this thread. It appears to be an advertisement for you. I, for one, would be very wary of doing business with you because instead of advertising in a straighforward way, through an ad, you instead try to make this seem to be just a normal thread. I believe this seems underhanded and does not reflect well on you.

If I were you, I would ask the moderators to remove this thread and would stop advertising in this manner--I really think it does a lot more damage than good.

I know very clearly about what I am doing. I think you have not seen my banner AD on top of the real estate section. That's what makes you and me different. I am a sponsor and I am allowed to advertise my products or services in the forum. Can you specify what kind of "damage" you are talking about?