Buying Property In Pattaya

Before I go on my merry way can I just share one of my experiences with prospective house hunters. Silk Road on the east side of the Suk. This village IMO is beautiful. Had everything I wanted, I was so excited about it, maybe I let the cat out of the bag too early. This was a while back so relatively inexperienced with my house buying poker face. How can the sales manager make thing go so wrong so quickly. If I remember correctly, according to the brochure the house I liked was 6.5M or something, within half an hour or so the sales geezer had it at 11M !!!!!! You have to go here to kick of your house hunting, its so funny but is a good indication of how sellers, agent, salesmen etc will prey on the weak.

Last year I too had a serious look at the Silk Road and I too liked what I saw until I started to inspect the houses that were still under construction. The found the quality for that development to be more on the cosmetic side and with too many short cuts being made on the structure.

We must also have come across the same sales man because when I started to ask too many difficult (for him that is) technical questions, he showed clear sign of aggression. I think the prices for the Silk Road houses are too much inflated.

I think Silk Road is a fairly successful project which proved that with the sales numbers. Overall the project offers good value for money. If you don't mind can you please explain to me in detail the construction quality you expect?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im just about to jump in at the deep end and buy a two storey house off plan at SP5. My main concern when searching for a suitable property was security, and I believe this village has what I need. I have been searching for a suitable place for almost 2 years now, I want to get it right first time as I kind of realise that it may take some doing if I want to sell it again for whatever reason, live happily ever after and all that. Its become a bit of a hobby, there's so much out there it makes you dizzy. There's always something slightly better around the next corner. So now im becoming impatient with all the searching and hopefully SP5 will work out for me and my young family. There will always be folk out there that say renting is the smarter direction to go in, I completely agree, but there is something about owning your own home which your heart will always over-rule your head.

Im no expert on property and dont profess to be, but there's one thing I have learned over my searching experience, dont listen to the agent, broker, seller or whoever is trying to financially gain from you. For me they had the key to the door to allow me to enter and make up my own mind. Just to be clear im not an investor, just looking to buy property to live out the rest of my life. So with that said I know my personal budget, I am armed with exactly the specifications I need for a home, I have a good inspection/walk around, you kind of get a good feeling within minutes of wandering around a property which is very close to what you want. Nearly there, then bring the key holder (agent, owner etc) to your presence, they wont be far away. At this point you have probably concluded that everything is perfect and in place to move to the next level, it may take several visits to get to this stage. "whats the lowest possible price you will sell for cash?". The amount obviously that you want to hear is below your budget, if not you have to make attempts to get it under or walk away. Walking away is an art form and is a very important part of the process, you have to mumble your budget as you retreat, lower your head, lift up your daughter (or son if you have one) and softly speak words of defeat to your better half "dont worry tirak there will be others". Now this may sound cheezy but this if done correctly will bring the true(ish) value from the seller/shark. If it doesnt you know its beyond your budget anyway. This part I love and is sooo addictive. You will be amazed how much some people will come down. Sometimes its actually worrying and puts you off.

Pattaya is full of excellent housing opportunities, east and west. I have been everywhere, but, there is only a very small percentage that would suit my needs. This is why you need to get out there on your scooter, car, foot whatever and see for yourself, there's for sale signs everywhere. Sellers/Estate agents are on their knees in front of you at the moment (steady). Forget the sharks/estate agents they usually take you to areas that are not suitable more times than not and it just puts you off the idea. Everybody knows inside themselves exactly what they want, draw a picture in your head and put a price on it, this is all you need. When this is combined with reality, bingo.

Before I go on my merry way can I just share one of my experiences with prospective house hunters. Silk Road on the east side of the Suk. This village IMO is beautiful. Had everything I wanted, I was so excited about it, maybe I let the cat out of the bag too early. This was a while back so relatively inexperienced with my house buying poker face. How can the sales manager make thing go so wrong so quickly. If I remember correctly, according to the brochure the house I liked was 6.5M or something, within half an hour or so the sales geezer had it at 11M !!!!!! You have to go here to kick of your house hunting, its so funny but is a good indication of how sellers, agent, salesmen etc will prey on the weak. Stick to your guns.

I love Pattaya and I love house hunting, I dont love estate agents though, sorry Im sure there is some good in you somewhere but unfortunately its not reserved for us prospective house owners in Pattaya.

Merry Christmas and a gid new year tae ye aw' :)

I foo will be looking to buy. The problem for me at least, will be finding the price that is attractive not the house that is attractive. If shop houses in Pattaya/Jomtien went from 1.4 million to 4 million in 10 years how can you find the actual value of the shop house today. I don't want a shop house but I simply use them as an example of Pattaya real estate. Do we go back to the beginning of the 10 year bubble and extrapolate based upon a larger slice of history? I don't know the answer but I do know that the shop house is not worth 4 billion and somebody suggesting that 3.75 billion is a huge bargain to me is just an idiot. I hear investors talking of condo values based upon square footage. Those value per square footage only have meaning to me relative to the timing of the bubble. If they were 200 at the beginning of the bubble and 2000 at the end of the bubble 1800 is not a bargain especially if the bubble was only 10 years. When I do decide to buy, and I am looking, it will be the appraisers who will interest me most, not the sales agents.

Im just about to jump in at the deep end and buy a two storey house off plan at SP5. My main concern when searching for a suitable property was security, and I believe this village has what I need. I have been searching for a suitable place for almost 2 years now, I want to get it right first time as I kind of realise that it may take some doing if I want to sell it again for whatever reason, live happily ever after and all that. Its become a bit of a hobby, there's so much out there it makes you dizzy. There's always something slightly better around the next corner. So now im becoming impatient with all the searching and hopefully SP5 will work out for me and my young family. There will always be folk out there that say renting is the smarter direction to go in, I completely agree, but there is something about owning your own home which your heart will always over-rule your head.

Im no expert on property and dont profess to be, but there's one thing I have learned over my searching experience, dont listen to the agent, broker, seller or whoever is trying to financially gain from you. For me they had the key to the door to allow me to enter and make up my own mind. Just to be clear im not an investor, just looking to buy property to live out the rest of my life. So with that said I know my personal budget, I am armed with exactly the specifications I need for a home, I have a good inspection/walk around, you kind of get a good feeling within minutes of wandering around a property which is very close to what you want. Nearly there, then bring the key holder (agent, owner etc) to your presence, they wont be far away. At this point you have probably concluded that everything is perfect and in place to move to the next level, it may take several visits to get to this stage. "whats the lowest possible price you will sell for cash?". The amount obviously that you want to hear is below your budget, if not you have to make attempts to get it under or walk away. Walking away is an art form and is a very important part of the process, you have to mumble your budget as you retreat, lower your head, lift up your daughter (or son if you have one) and softly speak words of defeat to your better half "dont worry tirak there will be others". Now this may sound cheezy but this if done correctly will bring the true(ish) value from the seller/shark. If it doesnt you know its beyond your budget anyway. This part I love and is sooo addictive. You will be amazed how much some people will come down. Sometimes its actually worrying and puts you off.

Pattaya is full of excellent housing opportunities, east and west. I have been everywhere, but, there is only a very small percentage that would suit my needs. This is why you need to get out there on your scooter, car, foot whatever and see for yourself, there's for sale signs everywhere. Sellers/Estate agents are on their knees in front of you at the moment (steady). Forget the sharks/estate agents they usually take you to areas that are not suitable more times than not and it just puts you off the idea. Everybody knows inside themselves exactly what they want, draw a picture in your head and put a price on it, this is all you need. When this is combined with reality, bingo.

Before I go on my merry way can I just share one of my experiences with prospective house hunters. Silk Road on the east side of the Suk. This village IMO is beautiful. Had everything I wanted, I was so excited about it, maybe I let the cat out of the bag too early. This was a while back so relatively inexperienced with my house buying poker face. How can the sales manager make thing go so wrong so quickly. If I remember correctly, according to the brochure the house I liked was 6.5M or something, within half an hour or so the sales geezer had it at 11M !!!!!! You have to go here to kick of your house hunting, its so funny but is a good indication of how sellers, agent, salesmen etc will prey on the weak. Stick to your guns.

I love Pattaya and I love house hunting, I dont love estate agents though, sorry Im sure there is some good in you somewhere but unfortunately its not reserved for us prospective house owners in Pattaya.

I foo will be looking to buy. The problem for me at least, will be finding the price that is attractive not the house that is attractive. If shop houses in Pattaya/Jomtien went from 1.4 million to 4 million in 10 years how can you find the actual value of the shop house today. I don't want a shop house but I simply use them as an example of Pattaya real estate. Do we go back to the beginning of the 10 year bubble and extrapolate based upon a larger slice of history? I don't know the answer but I do know that the shop house is not worth 4 billion and somebody suggesting that 3.75 billion is a huge bargain to me is just an idiot. I hear investors talking of condo values based upon square footage. Those value per square footage only have meaning to me relative to the timing of the bubble. If they were 200 at the beginning of the bubble and 2000 at the end of the bubble 1800 is not a bargain especially if the bubble was only 10 years. When I do decide to buy, and I am looking, it will be the appraisers who will interest me most, not the sales agents.

sorry for the typos, hopefully they will be obvious. million, not billion. etc...

Thanks for posting. If you say that "don't listen to the Agent/Broker" I assume my comments won't be important to you anyway.

But do remember one thing " All Brokers are not the same" and there are few brokers in this town who are not after the "quick bucks" and value customer service.

Quite True, not all the same. Some a lot more "not the same" than others

Benchmark, when looking at your website, I see that your company has been "Nominated for the "Best Thailand Agent" at the Thailand Property Awards 2009.

When can we expect to see the winners announced and who actually nominated your company for such a prestigious award? And who actually holds the Thailand Property Awards ceremony?

[...Benchmark, when looking at your website, I see that your company has been "Nominated for the "Best Thailand Agent" at the Thailand Property Awards 2009.

When can we expect to see the winners announced and who actually nominated your company for such a prestigious award? And who actually holds the Thailand Property Awards ceremony?

Hi, if you don't mind can you tell me whether you are a property agent, an invester, a potential property buyer or just an interested TV member?

Answers to all your questions are at Link

Hi, if you don't mind can you tell me whether you are a property agent, an invester, a potential property buyer or just an interested TV member?

Answers to all your questions are at Link

Happy to oblige. Anyone who owns property is, I suppose, a potential investor so I suppose I fall into that category. I am about to build again. Interested TV member is probably about right. One who is completey bedazzled by the absolute rubbish which is routinely spouted out by members of your unregulated, wannabee professional and shady industry. An industry which supplies it's own professional standards(minimal) and answers to them not a lot. An industry where agents and management fail to reach the exceedingly low standards they set themselves. Might be a generalisation, and I will agree that there are some who try, but look back at TV and see for yourselves.

But I digress!! You deigned not answer my question. Who nominated your company for the Thailand Property Awards? Thanks for the link, but I didn't see your name in there. The nomination process is very simple, see below

Nomination

To enter the 2009 Thailand Property Awards you must be nominated – a company cannot nominate themselves or be nominated by a member of company personnel. No nominations are sought for Real Estate Personality of the Year award – this award is decided by and presented by the publishers of Property Report magazines.

Nominations will be sought from all sectors of the Thailand real estate industry – developers, agents, architects, interior designers, construction companies, suppliers etc., and the public. No points are awarded in the nomination process. Being nominated for an award to which the company is eligible ensures entry into the next stage.

All nominations must be submitted to the organisers. Once nominations have closed, all information will be submitted to BDO Richfield for their double-checking against the eligibility criteria and the above rules of nomination.

The final confirmed list of nominations in each category may be published by the organisers.

There is no nomination fee.

But I digress!! You deigned not answer my question. Who nominated your company for the Thailand Property Awards? Thanks for the link, but I didn't see your name in there.

What is your real concern and what is your real identity? I have a open profile but you don't. I am ready to talk with you if you come out of the mask.

"Anyone who owns property is, I suppose, a potential investor so I suppose I fall into that category"

Ask someone who knows real estate whether anyone who owns a property is a potential investor? You got it all wrong mate. In my opinion you just want to waste other people's time.

And remember I will not answer any of your silly questions. I think you fall in to the category of "Real Estate for Dummies".

Keeping it real to me is simply recognizing that the world-wide bubble of the last decade is not likely to occur again in most of our lifetimes. It will likely be a buyer's market for quite some time. To suggest otherwise is not being optimistic, it is IMO being foolish. The experienced may still do okay in this next market but those like myself who know little about the buying/ selling process, may well be better off renting. I have, in the past made money in real estate, only because of the market forces, not my own expertise. I bought when I arrived and sold when I departed. Nothing magical about it. I knew little and got away with it.

This song is sang after every burst bubble since the early '80s. And still another bubble is just over the horizon. Human greed knows no bound.

I personally think Pattaya's peak potential is yet to come. Given the right political climate and indications of global economic recovery there are tons of Western buyers who want a piece of this paradise. I think we have passed the worst time of the global recession so it won't be that long for things to turn around in this market. Condo market for example is showing early recovery signs now.

"Be greedy when others are fearful" , happy home hunting.............

For general information. There are some very long posts in this thread. Nothing wrong with that, but when replying to them please do not quote the entire post or even a series of nested posts. Just snip everything except the part of the post you are replying to. Quoting the entire post and highlighting the part being replied to with bold format or by changing the colour is also not the correct thing to do. From forum netiquette:

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing. Moderators will snip excessively long nested quotes.

Thank you all.

--

Maestro

tch tch, changing the subject just when it was getting interesting.

"Real Estate for Dummies" Isn't that the book which teaches estate agents that all the target audience are dummies. I say that because proper investors would not come anywhere near the average Pattaya Estate Agent. So, you lot target the elderly and the holidaymaker crowd, because there is less hassle.

I asked a simple question about who nominated you for an award at the Thailand Property Awards. You chose not to answer, indeed you refused in bold type, but then you tried to insult me instead in 2 separate threads? Bit much, isn't it? I may indeed be a time waster, but just for the crime of questioning your integrity? Having been in the sales game I am well aware of the term "time waster" given to anyone who listens to the sales pitch and does not go through with the purchase.

Getting back to my original question. I looked in the link you provided and could not find your name mentioned. Therfore, once again, I ask for the sake of your honesty and integrity, "Who nominated you for the award?" As the award ceremony is a closed shop deal, surely someone had to do it. Or did they?

Please give me your name, phone number and address. I am happy to talk with you. It seems like you have a personal concern with something, although it does not makes sense. I have already answered your question regarding nomination.

Edited by benchmark

Benchmark website

http://www.benchmarkthailand.com/pages/why_buy_off.html

Why buy off plan

Buying off plan is the best investment strategy available in the current real estate market in Pattaya, Thailand. When you buy a property off plan your investment will be minimum because you will be required to make installment payments during the construction of the new development. It is also possible to sell the purchase contract to a potential buyer during the construction of the new project, with a considerable amount of profit. On the other hand you will get the lowest selling price when you buy off plan during pre-construction period because the prices will be increased accordingly until the construction is completed. We can suggest you the best and most reputed projects to invest your money off plan. We also can recommend you which units you need buy and the limit of the investment. Another popular investment method is to buy a condo unit off plan as a bare shell unit and decorate and furnish the unit up to a very high standard and sell it to an end user with a decent profit. Please consult us to get all information on latest off plan projects available for sale. Buy off plan and be a winner.

Are you kidding? Buying off the plan - particularly in Pattaya - in Thailand is an extremely risky exercise. Ask the purchasers of Ocean One if they feel like winners. In a country like Thailand, where there is minimal legal protection for such buyers, a developer's track record is everything, and even then it is certainly no guarantee that you will get what you pay for. Personally, I would never buy off the plan.

Benchmark website

http://www.benchmarkthailand.com/pages/why_buy_off.html

Why buy off plan

Buying off plan is the best investment strategy available in the current real estate market in Pattaya, Thailand. When you buy a property off plan your investment will be minimum because you will be required to make installment payments during the construction of the new development. It is also possible to sell the purchase contract to a potential buyer during the construction of the new project, with a considerable amount of profit. On the other hand you will get the lowest selling price when you buy off plan during pre-construction period because the prices will be increased accordingly until the construction is completed. We can suggest you the best and most reputed projects to invest your money off plan. We also can recommend you which units you need buy and the limit of the investment. Another popular investment method is to buy a condo unit off plan as a bare shell unit and decorate and furnish the unit up to a very high standard and sell it to an end user with a decent profit. Please consult us to get all information on latest off plan projects available for sale. Buy off plan and be a winner.

Are you kidding? Buying off the plan - particularly in Pattaya - in Thailand is an extremely risky exercise. Ask the purchasers of Ocean One if they feel like winners. In a country like Thailand, where there is minimal legal protection for such buyers, a developer's track record is everything, and even then it is certainly no guarantee that you will get what you pay for. Personally, I would never buy off the plan.

Well there are pros and cons in buying off the plan but if you buy from a developer with a proven track record there are clear benefits such as

1. Choice of best located units

2. Best and lowest price

3. Ability to negotiate payment terms and no need to invest the full sales amount at once

There are many investors and also private buyers who are buying off the plan. Most of them are investors. I certainly agree that there is a risk involved when you are buying off the plan but for an investor to make a profit this is the best possible way. Seasoned investors know that there is a certain amount of risk involved in this buying strategy. But for example all View Talay building are sold out before even piling starts to mostly investors.

There are couple of developers in Pattaya who got a proven track record. By doing the due diligence you can also minimize the risks.

Well under the current economic climate most private buyers would like to buy in a finished project. But that does not mean that the investors will stop buying off the plan.

Keeping it real to me is simply recognizing that the world-wide bubble of the last decade is not likely to occur again in most of our lifetimes. It will likely be a buyer's market for quite some time. To suggest otherwise is not being optimistic, it is IMO being foolish. The experienced may still do okay in this next market but those like myself who know little about the buying/ selling process, may well be better off renting. I have, in the past made money in real estate, only because of the market forces, not my own expertise. I bought when I arrived and sold when I departed. Nothing magical about it. I knew little and got away with it.

This song is sang after every burst bubble since the early '80s. And still another bubble is just over the horizon. Human greed knows no bound.

I personally think Pattaya's peak potential is yet to come. Given the right political climate and indications of global economic recovery there are tons of Western buyers who want a piece of this paradise. I think we have passed the worst time of the global recession so it won't be that long for things to turn around in this market. Condo market for example is showing early recovery signs now.

You very well could be correct but in my view, this was no ordinary bubble and the bottom is IMO artificially delayed. There are no sales happening in the the west that feed the real estate market here. Nobody is borrowing and nobody is loaning in the numbers that could again support such an unusual bubble. I would be shocked if we do not see another big drop in home prices in the coming year. I am looking for an agent who sees this and is prepared for the events that follow. There is no advantage to trying to buy a house using an agent who is overly optimistic about the market in general.

You very well could be correct but in my view, this was no ordinary bubble and the bottom is IMO artificially delayed. There are no sales happening in the the west that feed the real estate market here. Nobody is borrowing and nobody is loaning in the numbers that could again support such an unusual bubble. I would be shocked if we do not see another big drop in home prices in the coming year. I am looking for an agent who sees this and is prepared for the events that follow. There is no advantage to trying to buy a house using an agent who is overly optimistic about the market in general.

Then Benchmark is obviously not your man. I have somehow been blocked from answering his posts, but he still will not tell us who nominated him and his company for an award at the Thailand Property Awards. Then he says he answered my question, but he did not. Like most of his fraternity, he bends the truth, is mega optimistic with other people's money.

One thing for sure, I used to live in a nice area of Pattaya. There were 2 estate agents in the same street. ALL of us were renting and they had varioous reasons like "not the right time", "still looking", etc. At a prty, one of their gfs then let it slip that her man had said he would never buy property in Thailand. When I quizzed him, he went into a right huff and went home

Then Benchmark is obviously not your man. I have somehow been blocked from answering his posts, but he still will not tell us who nominated him and his company for an award at the Thailand Property Awards. Then he says he answered my question, but he did not. Like most of his fraternity, he bends the truth, is mega optimistic with other people's money.

One thing for sure, I used to live in a nice area of Pattaya. There were 2 estate agents in the same street. ALL of us were renting and they had varioous reasons like "not the right time", "still looking", etc. At a prty, one of their gfs then let it slip that her man had said he would never buy property in Thailand. When I quizzed him, he went into a right huff and went home

For no particular reason, I too am curious about his not answering a seemingly simple question,

All of you are iidiots................

You are a super idiot.........

Or may be all you guys are superheros and all we brokers are just ignorant and stupid idiots