Great News! More Thai Nationalism!

JetsetBkk

Phuketians join for national anthem tonight

PHUKET CITY: Thousands of flag-waving Phuketians will gather at Phromthep Cape this evening to sing the Thai National Anthem together as part of a nationwide national unity campaign.

Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop will lead the ceremony, which will be broadcast live on national television.

A flotilla of yachts will be anchored off the cape and will sound their horns in a unified salute to end the anthem.

Tourists and local expatriate residents are also invited to take part in the event...

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.as...1&display=1

Just what we need. :)

Singing for national unity?

How about 'diplomacy for national unity' or 'education for national unity' or 'anti-corruption for national unity'

I have to be careful what i say here because i guess it's culturally sensitive, but it all seems very Orwellian to me.

Did this idea drift down from North Korea by any chance? Are we next going to see synchronized flag waving by the masses in Sapan Hin to demand peace in the South

That explains the traffic jam at Hayek Chalong last night.

It would be really quite useful if the Gazette published these events before they happened. Sometimes I would like to go and see them - like this one.

But I would estimate that 75% of the stories published of scheduled events that had occurred during the previous week were never mentioned in the Gazette the week before. The Gazette's "Events Calendar" is one of the more useless pages in the paper - Khun Woody's computer club location being the exception.

Still, I did get an email about the event at 4:30 pm yesterday so I suppose I can't complain that I got NO notice. I presume someone stuck their head out of the office window and wondered <deleted> was going on with all the traffic... and hence the email.

Come on Gazette, give us at least 24 hours notice of these events. Pretty please.

How about 'diplomacy for national unity' or 'education for national unity' or 'anti-corruption for national unity'

I have to be careful what i say here because i guess it's culturally sensitive, but it all seems very Orwellian to me.

Did this idea drift down from North Korea by any chance? Are we next going to see synchronized flag waving by the masses in Sapan Hin to demand peace in the South

In N Korea they'd have conscripted in thousands of 'volunteers'. "You will sing and you will enjoy yourself!"

At least the people last night went because they wanted to; harmless enough and I'd suggest those that did make the effort enjoyed themselves. We watched the event on a giant-size tv screen, gf was so inspired she even sung along (no comment, if I'd said 'keep your day job' I'd be dead).

item-1---- on VDO at http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1257

or

Local government and residents of Phuket believe that the national anthem singing at Promthep Cape has boosted tourism for Phuket.

The nationally televised singing of the Thai national anthem at Promethep Cape on October 29th attracted the largest ever participating crowd there who proudly participated in the historic event, singing the national anthem out loud amidst the magnificent sunset. The 10 minute lead-up was shown live by our NBT TV team here and the 6pm singing was relayed on every free-to-air television station through the TV Pool in Thailand. Led by Phuket Governor Wichai Prisa-Ngob, there was not only a big crowd on land, but yachts and Royal Thai Navy vessels also anchored off the cape and showed their participation in the proud moment at the special sun-set at 6 pm at Promethep Cape. While resident expats said they were so proud to be part of the special event, viewers from other provinces appreciated the spectacular scene – of the sun set and the unified crowd of Phuket – around 30,000 of them. In alphabetical order Phuket was the 40th province to take part in the national televised singing of the national anthem led by NBT television. This is run under the government’s program called Thai Samakkee-Thai Khem Khang – Unified Thailand - Strong Thailand, initiated to build national unity. Arun Soros, Mayor of Rawai Municipality, who looks after the area, believes that the event which was nationally televised would boost tourism for the island while residents said they were proud and happy to show off their patriotism and the great view of their home area.

Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm, 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Friday 6 November 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews Send comments to [email protected]

I think it is more likely to have drifted down from the USA...Same thing goes on there everyday.

Syncronised flag waving? at least you don't see one hanging of every house, business, car, spare pole etc...