Marriage Certificate Where Do I Go To Get A Copy

xen

I was married in BKK in November 1986 and am going thru a divorse now but i need a copy of my marriage certificate to do so . I had copies but these have disappeared .

Where in Bangkok would i go to get another copy ? I can't remember where /what office i went to in 1986 so is there a way of getting a copy from a central office where all the records are kept ? Also what is the name of the department that would keep these records ?

Can anybody help?

Thanks

First you will need to obtain a police loss report from any Thai police station. It's a simple procedure that won't take long and possibly cost 20 or 30 Baht.

Next you take the police report along with the date of marriage and any other details you have to the Umphur office (Ket) where you were married. If possible have your old passport number from the time of your marriage and your wife's Thai ID number.

I'd suggest you try Umphur Bang Rak in Bangkok first as this is the most popular Umphur for foreigners getting married. If you weren't married there they may be able to assist in locating your marriage location. In all my dealings with Umphur Bang Rak I've found them to be friendly and helpful.

Once the marriage paperwork is identified they will issue certified photocopies of your original marriage application paperwork. The Umphur will not issue a replacement wedding certificate, only the certified copies of your original marriage application papers. The police loss report is required for them to issue the replacement copies. Again these copies won't cost much and the procedure shouldn't take long.

These certified photocopies are accepted in court or by the Umphur as a substitute marriage certificate when applying for divorce.

Good luck with your divorce.

First you will need to obtain a police loss report from any Thai police station. It's a simple procedure that won't take long and possibly cost 20 or 30 Baht.

Next you take the police report along with the date of marriage and any other details you have to the Umphur office (Ket) where you were married. If possible have your old passport number from the time of your marriage and your wife's Thai ID number.

I'd suggest you try Umphur Bang Rak in Bangkok first as this is the most popular Umphur for foreigners getting married. If you weren't married there they may be able to assist in locating your marriage location. In all my dealings with Umphur Bang Rak I've found them to be friendly and helpful.

Once the marriage paperwork is identified they will issue certified photocopies of your original marriage application paperwork. The Umphur will not issue a replacement wedding certificate, only the certified copies of your original marriage application papers. The police loss report is required for them to issue the replacement copies. Again these copies won't cost much and the procedure shouldn't take long.

These certified photocopies are accepted in court or by the Umphur as a substitute marriage certificate when applying for divorce.

Good luck with your divorce.

This is exactly right, I had to go through the same procedure when I got divorced two or three years ago. As Farma says you can't get an actual replacement certificate, only a copy of the registration page held at the Amphur where you were married. Just remember that to get divorced both you and your wife need either your original certificates (you were issued with two) or a copy of the marriage registration each, so when you get to the correct Amphur get two copies. I think they were only about 20 baht per copy.

Thanks for the info ,Sumrit and Farma ,but this may be be a lot more difficult than i imagined.

I had all my certificates, translations and papers in a folder in my filing cabinet and now they have dissappeared. My wife denies any knowledge of where it is now so i have no records. I don't even know what office we attended as i was quite new to BKK back then and i never had the forsight to ask or record where it was . I suspect my wife does knows where they are but what can i do .

Maybe i have to stay married to her ...............................

And the other thing is as i understand it , we both need to be in Thailand and at the same office both at the same time after i get the copies of the marriage certificates