Thai Or English Pre School For My 2 Year Old?

richio1

Hi can anyone give me some advice on what Thai and english Pre schools are in and around pattaya, i have looked up ones like regents and find i would not be able to afford there prices. i would like to maybe find and Thai/english pre school as mt son only speaks English at the moment and would like him to learn Thai. or if there was a good Thai pre school in Pattaya area.

Many thanks

Hi can anyone give me some advice on what Thai and english Pre schools are in and around pattaya, i have looked up ones like regents and find i would not be able to afford there prices. i would like to maybe find and Thai/english pre school as mt son only speaks English at the moment and would like him to learn Thai. or if there was a good Thai pre school in Pattaya area.

Many thanks

This is the one I send my little one to

www.phoenixkindergarten.com

Phoenix Wittaya School

151 M.12 Sukhumvit Road,

Nongprue, Banglamung, Pattaya

Chonburi 20260

+66 (38) 232 788

+66 (38) 232 585

E-mail : [email protected]

My daughter (currently 17 and at matayom 5 in college) did her anuban (kindergarten effectively) 1-3, pratom 1-6 and matayom 1-3 levels at TarnTraRak School. On Sukhumwit between Central and North behind the Pattaya Orphanage. I never had any problems with the school or its fees. There are quite a few 50/50's there. Anuban 1 starts at 3 years old.

I recommend 50/50 schools. Beware of the Thai educational system, it is very academic and doesn't quite value talents like problem solving. It is no problem with that, it is just that YOU must compensate for it by being more actively involved in your child’s education and teach that kind of thinking

Also beware of that some Thai schools try to cheat you into having your kid starting 1st grade when they are 5 years old. One sample of a school doing that is Satit Chula, a Thai friend of mine was so happy when he managed to get his child into Satit Chula kindergarten, then the school turned around and refused his 5 year old to go to kindergarten 3 and said Grade one or leave. Any sensible educated westerner would have changed school, my Thai friend had a 5 and a half year old starting grade one instead… Not a good start to be disadvantaged by a full year of development in grade 1, one whole year at that age matters a lot.

There are many schools that allow 6.5 year olds to start grade one, ask before you enrol. Take the full 3 years of kindergarten if you can. Thai children must have so much knowledge when they start grade one, using 3 years makes it possible to prioritise spirit, self-confidence, initiative, creativity, imagination and still teach them what’s expected without forcing it into them

Isn't 5 years old the normal age for Grade 1?

That's the grade 5 year olds in schools in England start at and what the 5 year olds in my child's school here start at.

No, normal age to start grade 1 is (still) 6 years old in Thailand. Most kids start at 6 but there are also many schools that take on kids in grade 1 when they are 5 now a days.

Beware of starting too early. There is a big difference in concentration ability between a 5 and a 6-year old, that's going to benefit learning (and getting into the habit of being one of the better in class). Also, a child that is a year older at that age is clearly bigger, stronger and with the help of one additional year of development, he is also likely to be more of the leader. All this create habits...

The race to school often seem to be driven by the parents themselves and the schools of course want to please the parents. I don't see finishing high school a year earlier in the bottom half of the class as an advantage compared to a year later in the top half though

I would never recommend to start early if it wasn't absolutely necessary

Edited by MikeyIdea

Are you talking Thai schools Mikeyldea or International Schools?

I started Grade 1 in Uk when I was 5 years old and I'm not aware that it's changed in the last 45 years.

The 6 year olds in my kid's class here have been kept back a year by their parents or have been born early in the school year just like anywhere else.

My kid will still be finishing high school at 16 having started at 5, just like I did.

Edited by PattayaParent

PattayaParent

I am talking about Thailand, not the UK (I'm Swedish not British). Normal (standard) age to start grade 1 is (still) 6 years old in Thailand and then I talk about Thai schools of course. I don't know about international schools. Thai schools have their cut-of time 1-Apr, not at year-end.

Britain changing? Not likely, we can still read parts of Magna Carta :)

What is held back?

The perception by parents is "being held back", yes, but what is held back? After finishing high school, we have approx 45 years left of our active working life. That is as old as both you and I are now. That's a long time

Is it correct that being a year older helps a lot with concentration which helps with academic results? Is it likely that a kid that is a year older is going to be one of the bigger ones? Sure it is. Good start in life. Watch any group of younger kids playing and the older ones in the group are generally the leaders. Things like that tend to become habits that stick. It's not brains that makes you successful, ask George Bush :D

Many parents try to get their kids into school early, what's the rush? I recommend to take it easy

Mikey

Edited by MikeyIdea

Mikey, by held back I mean that the 6 year old should be in Grade 2 but the parents want him in Grade 1 for exactly the reasons you said. Better to be the oldest and biggest in the year than the youngest and smallest.

In UK the school year begins in August so you have to be 5 years old before then to start Grade 1 and it seems to be the same with International Schools here too.

Mikey, by held back I mean that the 6 year old should be in Grade 2 but the parents want him in Grade 1 for exactly the reasons you said. Better to be the oldest and biggest in the year than the youngest and smallest.

In UK the school year begins in August so you have to be 5 years old before then to start Grade 1 and it seems to be the same with International Schools here too.

My apologies, I misunderstood

The pride of my life is at the bottom of the page in this post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Show-Asian-B...5&start=175 :)

Michael

Proud father of Idea, the good idea