Gymkhana Club Massage.

DavidOxon

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

I and I once were told the Gymkhana Club had a libraray, and we went there thinking we might have the good fortune to come across a complete set of Siam Society publications, or some other treasure. But no one there the day we went there could even tell us if they had a library or where it was.

ioho 50k baht per year and 7200 baht in yearly fees is very expensive.

best, ~o:37;

I and I once were told the Gymkhana Club had a libraray, and we went there thinking we might have the good fortune to come across a complete set of Siam Society publications, or some other treasure. But no one there the day we went there could even tell us if they had a library or where it was.

It's 50,000 baht for a lifetime, transferrable (ie saleable) membership, not 50,000 per year!! 30,000 baht for a lifetime, non-transferrable membership - cheap as chips!! Of course, it would depend on what 'life time' means. To some of the older folk here, that might not be such a good deal.   :)

Edited by KevinHunt

It's 50,000 baht for a lifetime, transferrable (ie saleable) membership, not 50,000 per year!! 30,000 baht for a lifetime, non-transferrable membership - cheap as chips!! Of course, it would depend on what 'life time' means. To some of the older folk here, that might not be such a good deal.   :)

It also gives membership for your wife and 2 children up to the age of 21.

Iain

If anyone does know about it, their general perception is that it is a stuffy old colonial expats hang-out

Welcome back again Kevin :)

I went there hoping for it to be a stuffy old colonial expat hang out, with Punkawallahs and the like and was very dissapointed :D

but jesting apart I'd recommend a visit to anyone who hasn't visited before.

Holy jumping macaroons, this is a social establishment for the idle rich.

And I wonder if Kevin Hunt as he calls himself at present, is going to donate something to the poor fund having saved a lot of money promoting his businesses on the Thaivisa forums for free?

And I wonder if Kevin Hunt as he calls himself at present, is going to donate something to the poor fund having saved a lot of money promoting his businesses on the Thaivisa forums for free?

I think he has always been called Kevin Hunt and as far as I know he only has the one business The Red Lion which is now a sponsor on TV.

I think he has always been called Kevin Hunt and as far as I know he only has the one business The Red Lion which is now a sponsor on TV.

No . he has used others. The one before this one for example ( cant recall the name at the minute) but he was found out with his writing style and then the genearl slow move towards business promotion.

Edited by caf

Whilst golf may be a bit expensive (as it is everywhere) and is arguably a pastime for the idle rich, poor old me is a hard-working tennis player.  The 'subliminal' advertising didn't generate a great amount of extra business (even the Free Water post) - a few curious souls looking for a John Cleese lookalike maybe. So, unless TV members and visitors pile down to the pub in their hordes, my funding of the poor will have to remain at current levels.

Just to correct Anonymouse, I did indeed have other log-ins during my days of banishment (Chiangmai Oldhand and Muggins) which of course led to extended bans, once I was 'found out' (a warning to those thinking of repeating the errors of my ways) but those days are behind me now. 

'Holy Jumping Macaroons'? Was/is Sassienie really a Batman fan? I suppose he was young once, and may still be by the sound of it, when the mood strikes him. Did he fancy himself as Batman, or Robin, I wonder?  

His Avatar used to be a cloaked mysterious Jack-the-ripper type and now he's a sweet Merry Christmas tree (a bit early, maybe). That's quite a transformation!! Maybe it's from eating all those Fish n Chips at Cheerful Charlies - they've made him cheerful!! 

Did I tell you we sell German sausages? The long thick ones.  :)

Edited by KevinHunt

Whilst golf may be a bit expensive (as it is everywhere) and is arguably a pastime for the idle rich, poor old me is a hard-working tennis player. The 'subliminal' advertising didn't generate a great amount of extra business (even the Free Water post) - a few curious souls looking for a John Cleese lookalike maybe. So, unless TV members and visitors pile down to the pub in their hordes, my funding of the poor will have to remain at current levels.

Just to correct Anonymouse, I did indeed have other log-ins during my days of banishment (Chiangmai Oldhand and Muggins) which of course led to extended bans, once I was 'found out' (a warning to those thinking of repeating the errors of my ways) but those days are behind me now.

'Holy Jumping Macaroons'? Was/is Sassienie really a Batman fan? I suppose he was young once, and may still be by the sound of it, when the mood strikes him. Did he fancy himself as Batman, or Robin, I wonder?

His Avatar used to be a cloaked mysterious Jack-the-ripper type and now he's a sweet Merry Christmas tree (a bit early, maybe). That's quite a transformation!! Maybe it's from eating all those Fish n Chips at Cheerful Charlies - they've made him cheerful!!

Did I tell you we sell German sausages? The long thick ones. :D

No you didnt tell us about selling German sausages, but you have obviously got many such advertising treats in store for us.

Glad you have changed your mind and now admit it was all subliminal advertising all along.

"The 'subliminal' advertising didn't generate a great amount of extra business"

Perhaps as you now realise that it is not productive you can spare us the agony of having to endure it. :)

Just concentrate on funny posts. You're good at that.

No you didnt tell us about selling German sausages, but you have obviously got many such advertising treats in store for us.

Glad you have changed your mind and now admit it was all subliminal advertising all along.

Perhaps as you now realise that it is not productive you can spare us the agony of having to endure it. :)

It wasn't subliminal advertising, I said that with a sense of irony! I don't have any advertising treats in store. Being an advertiser merely allows me to make references to my daily activities, which are usually set in a pub, without me being accused of advertising or being banned for such offences. In my previous post, my mentioning German sausages was only for the purposes of humour*, and wasn't intended as an ad. I can do that now, without fear of reproach. If being an advertiser brings some extra business, that will be a bonus.

The story about my rat-sniffing talents was a true tale, and the reason for me not mentioning 'my place' was obvious, I thought. The fact that my purposely not mentioning 'my place' was seen as 'subliminal advertising' was very funny. 

Just concentrate on your funny posts. You're good at that. :D

* for those of you that missed the point - eating Cheerful Charlie's F&C has made Sassienie cheerful, so maybe if he eats our big thick German sausages ........ ( do I need to spell it out?)

Edited by KevinHunt

It wasn't subliminal advertising, I said that with a sense of irony! I don't have any advertising treats in store. Being an advertiser merely allows me to make references to my daily activities, which are usually set in a pub, without me being accused of advertising or being banned for such offences. In my previous post, my mentioning German sausages was only for the purposes of humour*, and wasn't intended as an ad. I can do that now, without fear of reproach. If being an advertiser brings some extra business, that will be a bonus.

The story about my rat-sniffing talents was a true tale, and the reason for me not mentioning 'my place' was obvious, I thought. The fact that my purposely not mentioning 'my place' was seen as 'subliminal advertising' was very funny. 

* for those of you that missed the point - eating Cheerful Charlie's F&C has made Sassienie cheerful, so maybe if he eats our big thick German sausages ........ ( do I need to spell it out?)

How dare you use the name of our Lord & Saviour, Cheerful Charlie in vain?

Don’t know why you are picking on poor ole Charlie. Maybe you’re jealous because everyone likes him, from the riff raff to the hierarchy upwards.

And yes, everyone is cheerful at Charlie’s. Being cheerful is a good reputation to have, don`t you think? And as for the sausages, please do spell it out, maybe some of us don’t get it.

I think it`s time for another poll. How about, the most loved and the most detested restaurant owners in Chaing Mai. It would be interesting to see where you come in.

Your avatar of Basil Fawlty trying to choke one of his guests is certainly apt.

Edited by sassienie

* for those of you that missed the point - eating Cheerful Charlie's F&C has made Sassienie cheerful, so maybe if he eats our big thick German sausages ........ ( do I need to spell it out?)

Don't know why you are picking on poor ole Charlie. Maybe you're jealous because everyone likes him, from the riff raff to the hierarchy upwards.

And yes, everyone is cheerful at Charlie's. Being cheerful is a good reputation to have, don`t you think? And as for the sausages, please do spell it out, maybe some of us don't get it.

I think it`s time for another poll. How about, the most loved and the most detested restaurant owners in Chaing Mai. It would be interesting to see where you come in.

Lighten up my friend and keep to the thread, i do not even know KH or have never been to his pub.

Before anyone says i must be promoting him.Kh seems to say a lot that is true in the UK we have a saying the truth hurts and i think this saying is apt on here.

* for those of you that missed the point - eating Cheerful Charlie's F&C has made Sassienie cheerful, so maybe if he eats our big thick German sausages ........ ( do I need to spell it out?)

Don't know why you are picking on poor ole Charlie. Maybe you're jealous because everyone likes him, from the riff raff to the hierarchy upwards.

And yes, everyone is cheerful at Charlie's. Being cheerful is a good reputation to have, don`t you think? And as for the sausages, please do spell it out, maybe some of us don't get it.

Lighten up my friend and keep to the thread, i do not even know KH or have never been to his pub.

Before anyone says i must be promoting him.Kh seems to say a lot that is true in the UK we have a saying the truth hurts and i think this saying is apt on here.

Patriciachas, if you read kh posts ( including those now banned) you will find he chooses to bait certain people and can be quite abusive. while his posts can be funny and lighten up a day, his constant attacks on sassienie and others should not elicit your response of " lighten up my friend" Wait till it's your turn - you may have a different view.

I'm sorry, I think you have missed my point. I was merely suggesting that some of Charlie's Cheerfulness may have rubbed off on you, and purely as an attempt at humour. If you read it the wrong way, then I'm sorry but I can assure you that no harm was intended to you or Charlie.

Patriciachas, if you read kh posts ( including those now banned) you will find he chooses to bait certain people and can be quite abusive. while his posts can be funny and lighten up a day, his constant attacks on sassienie and others should not elicit your response of " lighten up my friend" Wait till it's your turn - you may have a different view.

Maybe you'd like to give us an example of my being abusive? I've given you some 'stick' about accusing me of 'subliminal adevertising', which is fair enough I think (you did know it would get me banned). For some reason that you've never explained you have this thing about me advertising. If I was promoting my business (rats in the kitchen?), then what does it have to do with you? If I was advertising it subliminally, how did you know? :)

Back on topic. I've had a request to do a tour of the Gymkhana. Is anybody else interested? One afternoon this week maybe? A quick tour and lunch on the Balcony? Wednesday at noon is the preliminary date. 

Edited by KevinHunt