Delicious Pastries In Chiangmai

Oneman

Here in Chiangmai many shops offer cakes and pastries.

They often appear delicious, but, at first bite, you realize that, yet again, the Thai cooks didn't get it quite right.

The frosting tastes like Crisco (vegetable oil shortening).

They scrimped on the sugar.

And texture is too dry.

Or they didn't bake long enough, so the pastries come out under done, as is usual at Kasem Stores.

Overall, tempting appearance, but taste and texture leave a lot to be desired.

So, it was with much pleasure that I have tested -- and tested again -- pastries from DeNaga restaurant, in front of the DeNaga hotel on Moonmeuang Road.

The banana tart is made with perfectly fresh bananas: not too green, not too ripe, but just right.

Topping is honest whipped cream, not some "Cool Whip" concoction out of a can.

The crust is crumbled Oreo chocolate cookies.

The lemon meringue tart is both sweet and very tart.

The meringue on top is light and fluffy and just-right sweet.

The lemon pudding doesn't have the chemical taste of a package mix, but I'd have to say it is a package mix, albeit very good quality.

Not everything is remarkable, but nothing I've tasted so far is bad.

The brownie is adequate, but that's all I can say.

The cream cheese tarts are good, just nothing special.

I'm quite sure both the cream cheese filling and the toppings are out of cans.

But the ultimate treasure is the chocolate cake, there labeled "tuxedo cake".

I'm sure it's from a prepared mix, but, again, a good quality mix.

The texture is very moist and just slightly sweet.

The frosting is a mild, dark chocolate glaze, over a thin layer of white cream frosting.

This is as good a chocolate cake as my mum used to make.

And, as with mum's cake, I keep going back for more.

Now, at the DeNaga restaurant, I am recommending only the pastries.

I've eaten at the restaurant only once.

While the meal was pleasant, is was not memorable -- nothing worth posting about.

Location of DeNaga restaurant:

On Moonmeuang Road, just South of Top North hotel.

183 meters South of ThaPhae gate, inside the moat.

Soi Ratchamanka #2.

That soi goes off at an angle from Moonmeaung Road, behind "John's Place" bar.

Head for the DeNaga hotel, the restaurant is right in front.

If you get there to find the chocolate cake all gone, well, sorry, but I got there early.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Better than at Love at First Bite?

Ah, that's a very good question.

And a difficult question to answer.

Needs further research, extensive further research.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Ah, that's a very good question.

And a difficult question to answer.

Needs further research, extensive further research.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Love your answer, sounds like something I would write! I love my sweets and have to say that, in general, most Thai bakers do not get it right. They bake it too long, thinking, I guess, that it needs to be able to come out of the pan cleanly. They use that awful best foods margarine made from palm oil and skimp on the good stuff.

To brag abit, the best chocolate cake I have ever had has been my own, made from scratch with real butter icing. But, sorry oneman, you will have to come to Koh Phangan for it :)

I agree about the mostly high quality pastries at the Da Naga cafe (in front), although they are not cheap. For a while, they were selling one small croissant for 80 baht when you can get a similar one - and almost just as good - at JJ's for 15 baht, but they finally dropped the price to about 30.

They do have the best lemon tarts that I have ever had up North and they have always been a favorite.

The restaurant (in back) is a different story, in my opinion, pretentious and overpriced. They are trying too hard to be trendy by combining cuisines and favors that just don't work in what is supposed to be fusion.

I did not like anything that I tried (last year, when they had not been open long) and really considered it a waste of money.

Maybe they have improved since then, but I was so put off by what they were serving last year, that I don't have a lot of interest in going back.

Edited by Ulysses G.

hmmmmmm this sound yummy!

Ive often experienced that anticipation of biting into a really delicious looking cake only to find it takes like unflavored rubber :D

Gonna half to check Da Naga and Love At First Bite out :) .

Despite visiting Love at First Bite for the first time many years ago I make a point of going back every time I visit CM and the quality just seems to get better - I recently found their web site which is worth a read, a Thai couple who lived in the US for over 25 years, I reckon the place is difficult to beat anywhere in Thailand to be honest, especially at the prices at charged.

For me there is only one answer to this question...if there is a question in the original post. Bake & Bite!

There are presently 3 locations:

Nimmanhaemin, Soi 6, Muang, Chiang Mai

☎ +66 (0)53-400577

183/8-9 Chang Klan Rd., Muang, Chiang Mai

☎ +66 (0)53-820761

and their new location at:

End of Soi 3/2 off of Kaew-Nawarat. Soi 3 off of Kaew-Nawarat is immediately opposite the Prince Royal College. Sorry, but I don't have the phone number for this new location, they are open now for about a month.

I say "presently" above because they may be closing one of their locations, but there appears to be some uncertainty associated with this.

In any case, the owner Khun Gai is an outstanding Pastry Chef and an outstanding chef in general. Her pies are excellent and the Cinnamon Rolls are to die for. I could go on but in general everything that I have had at her shops has been amazingly good by any standard. I've been sending people to Bake & Bite for about 3 years now and the result is nearly always the same...WOW!

Try it, I don't think you will be disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just been down to check the place out. We had the tuxedo cake and the carrot cake. Pretty good but far from amazing imo. Very similar to Love at First Bite, though less pretentious.

I still rate the bakery in Pai as the best I've had in Thailand so far. Though, that might just be because their stuff is more of a British style.

Almost forgot the mention that DeNaga discount on their cakes 30% after 8pm, including takeaway!

Oneman: I have found my soulmate. The deNaga! My favourite place in the whole of Chiang Mai/Thailand/SEAsia/Asia/The World etc.

I have fallen in love with their banana cake and love to go there for a nibble every week after cycling up Doi Suthep ... just to put the weight back on, you understand!

I had an overpriced underflavored lunch at DeNaga a few months ago but friends who stayed there raved about their breakfast.

I tried the breakfast this morning. It was better quality than most in Thailand with good quality bacon, excellent baked goods, good coffee and home made jams, but a little pricy as portions were small. I paid 180 for a tasty American breakfast with no potatoes of any kind, but I actually considered buying a second one as I was not very satisfied.

Edited by Ulysses G.