Thai Police Still Extorting Tourists

Serpico

What a story, unbelivable Thailand, Land of Smile :) seems the guys in brown get more and more innovative year after year.

thanks for the link, great pics here too.

No need to thank him - he has made this obsession his life's work :D

Even to the extent of being previously banned on Thai Visa whilst posting under the moniker of PadThaiGuy.

If you don't believe me, have a look here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...sult_type=posts

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guess every line is wasted bkkdangerous, guys like Sanook2me are the better Farangs and blind Thailovers, they always say IF YOU DONT LIKE IT GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY...but stick their heads in the sand like these big birds....UNTIL....yeah, until THEY have a problem of any kind, then they are mostly the loudest people of all.

I never know that Londons Streets are so dirty like that one on the pic of Sukhumvit and I honestly dont belive it. But if so, for sure there is no police charging you money for throwing a cigarette :)

Have i been fined? Yes, for dropping a cigarette..have i done it again....no... lesson learnt not forgotten...

Was i scammed..No because i was guilty! simple...

Have you been fined or is your experience only from hearsay on the internet?

OK Jack, I belive you but honestly I am thankful to everybody which is not only happy about Thailand and sticking his head in the sand.

There are a lot of scams going on here and mostly nobody write about it in the internet.

I just saw an accident again today opposite our restaurant in Phuket Nai Harn. There are a minimum of 2 accidents every single day there but no one is obviously in duty here. There is another corner with a minimum of 2-3 accidents every day, just 400m away, where the Sayuan Road met another road to Kata+Karon

Two years ago there was a STOP sign hit in an accident and since never renewed. I guess they like accidents, so everybody make money, the garages which repair the cars, the ambulances and finally the doctors and the police :):D :D

I wonder if they put a new STOP sign over there if the first people die there......or the son of one bighead orbortor or pujai ban have an accident here

all in all its unbelivable how ignorant these so called government people (work) are

STOP%2004.JPG_thumb.jpg

2 years ago the STOP sign on bottom left

If you've got your camera with video capability handy and this happens to you, I would immediately aim it at the "cop's" face and politely begin "interrogating" him by questioning just whose cigarette butt it is, and so forth, so as to not only document the incident but also turn the tables a little on him by intimidating him.

Having him on camera while making his false accusations might trigger an immediate loss of face because he may suddenly realize that it will likely end up on the internet, with a potential audience in the tens of thousands, and with a good number quite possibly fellow Thais, some of whom may know him and ID him.

Get them to squirm and hesitate in front of a lens. Then stall, Stall, STALL. It just might work.

I know this is what I would do if they ever tried to pull this stunt on me...

Best advice yet.

Pull out your phone and put it on video mode, then say the following,

kor tort mai dai yin, put eek tee see na khrap, farang mai kao jai ruang nee.

I know the area well where the OP said this occured and there is a group of 6 Thai guys working that area, one in uniform. I have seen them many times, usually hassling farrangs to take Tuk Tuks, ect. Once I saw the uniformed guy make a tourist empty out his backpack. Ironically its next to the sign warning tourist to be aware of scams, lol'

Yep, an old story resuscitated. I live near MBK and go there on average once a week, and have never been accosted in that vicinity by police or by fake police, nor do I know anyone who has.

I thought it was the same old angry litterer story. But then I came upon their fishing expedition.

These clowns are camped below the SIAM BTS. They even have a little table set up, with posters about littering. Kind of an "informational picket", so to speak.

Wander around the Siam Square side of the BTS, at the bottom of the stairs. You'll see them. They act like the typical traffic trap, except these guys go after pedestrians.

Actually that table with those guy's is there for many years already,even long time before the bts was build.I really wonder why certain people who go to mbk every day have never noticed it.

I know because I was caught at the same place many years ago for dropping a cigarette but into the hole of the drainage lid.Certainly I was an offender but what should I have done with my burning cigarette but as trash bins are nowhere.

In many country's there is a law against littering but at least they provide trash bins all over the place.In thailand they just remove them.

I hope the member who threw a barb at me about the coruption of Cambodian police reads this thread when I state that Kymer police DO NOT harras tourists or expats , in fact they give a nod of the head , a smile or enter into small talk with us . They are in fact the opposite of many BiB I encounted during my 7 years in Thailand , I can also pass the same remark about the local populace , they enjoy having us here .

The guys in the uniforms are usually not Police or Tourist Police. They are Thesakij, or Bangkok's own Municipal Officers. They have an emblem on the shoulders of their uniforms which I believe was copied from a tin of Heinz soup. These are the guys who are responsible for keeping the sidewalks clear of vendors. They are, of course, scrupulously honest and diligent in their work. They have very few powers, but recently I saw a news item saying they would soon be upgraded into full Policemen, meaning they will then have a nice shiny gun to wave about, as well as their current and very impressive radios with lots of buttons and rubber antennas. They will then be better able to keep the sidewalks clear for us to drive our motorcycles on.

Fortunately for all of us, they have been protecting our streets from litter like this for many years. Currently they are protecting the sidewalk outside MBK, in front of Benjasiri Park and up to Soi 22, Ouside the Emporium, on the bridge outside Central World Plaza, in front of the National Stadium, at Chatuchak, and in dozens of other important places visited by Tourists. Most of the litter offenders are determined foreign criminals who seem bent on destroying the sparkling cleanliness of Bangkok's streets. Luckily, they are usually so frightened by the Thesakij's wireless, that they pay up without question, accepting the fact that they may have inadvertently been eating a takeaway pack of Som Tam which they accidentally must have dropped on the sidewalk. As you will all know, Thais never throw litter on the ground, so it is imperative that the Thesakij be expanded and given guns, so as to protect all of us from the filth discarded by foreign tourists.

The small huts where they sit to count their takings, usually littered with cigarette butts, almost certainly thrown there by nervous foreigners smoking while waiting to pay their fines.

Edited by stolidfeline

The guys in the uniforms are usually not Police or Tourist Police. They are Thesakij, or Bangkok's own Municipal Officers...The small huts where they sit to count their takings, usually littered with cigarette butts, almost certainly thrown there by nervous foreigners smoking while waiting to pay their fines.

Ah, I walked past the one at Benjasiri Park yesterday and wondered what it was. Thanks for the enlightenment!

What a story, unbelivable Thailand, Land of Smile :) seems the guys in brown get more and more innovative year after year.

Even to the extent of being previously banned on Thai Visa whilst posting under the moniker of PadThaiGuy.

If you don't believe me, have a look here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...sult_type=posts

Thanks for the link, lot of interesting posts, quite often you will find the best stuff from posters who have been banned, after all it's not difficult on TV is it

my god why are scared by these scum, like other thai scamming scum I tell them what to do when they try to cheat me . CALL THEIR BLUFF. "Ok lets go down the police station" But you decide what police station, all this <deleted> of signing a piece of paper and paying 2000 bht , going to ATMs, Get with it man!!!!!!!!!!

The best answer so far. The OP needs to grow some balls.

Calling the guy's bluff would probably have been more than enough here - asking him to write out a ticket and saying that you'll pay it at the cop station as all tickets should be paid. Showing the scumbags that you've got some balls and didn't come down in the last rain shower always helps in these situations.

What a story, unbelivable Thailand, Land of Smile :D seems the guys in brown get more and more innovative year after year.

Thanks for the link, lot of interesting posts, quite often you will find the best stuff from posters who have been banned, after all it's not difficult on TV is it

If you identify with PTG's posts, and find them to be "the best stuff", you have my sympathy :)

And I am sure you would really get off on reading Emperor_Tud, a true (and also banned) legend on TV :D

What a story, unbelivable Thailand, Land of Smile :D seems the guys in brown get more and more innovative year after year.

Can't get much past you can they jack? Have you taken the promotion to the rank of Detective Inspector yet?

Inspector Jack Spratt, the last of the super slooths :)

If you've got your camera with video capability handy and this happens to you, I would immediately aim it at the "cop's" face and politely begin "interrogating" him by questioning just whose cigarette butt it is, and so forth, so as to not only document the incident but also turn the tables a little on him by intimidating him.

Having him on camera while making his false accusations might trigger an immediate loss of face because he may suddenly realize that it will likely end up on the internet, with a potential audience in the tens of thousands, and with a good number quite possibly fellow Thais, some of whom may know him and ID him.

Get them to squirm and hesitate in front of a lens. Then stall, Stall, STALL. It just might work.

I know this is what I would do if they ever tried to pull this stunt on me...

Best advice yet.

Pull out your phone and put it on video mode, then say the following,

kor tort mai dai yin, put eek tee see na khrap, farang mai kao jai ruang nee.

Can you either write in English or in Thai script. Difficult to understand your individual words and the construction is wrong anyway. If you want to show off use the script and don't make grammatical mistakes

If you identify with PTG's posts, and find them to be "the best stuff", you have my sympathy :)

And I am sure you would really get off on reading Emperor_Tud, a true (and also banned) legend on TV :D

I do find these guys post's a refreshing change form the 'Thailand love it or go home' gang. TV is commonly seen as a bunch Thaiophiles who cannot bear any criticism of this corrupt and backward country so it's nice to see some pointing out the negative sides of the place on a forum where some bend over backwards to pretend bad things happen everywhere and that somehow Thailand is no worse than any other tourist destination. An interesting post pointing out corruption with official knowledge, that does not happen everywhere and should be talked about.

Edited by thai3

The photo is of a Thai speaking with a couple farangs, and a Thai tuk tuk driver reading a magazine. Although neither Thai is wearing a uniform, you immediately identify one as a policeman, and he's scamming the tourists. You should seek professional help to alleviate your paranoia.

I can almost read his lips about a 1 hour tour for 10 baht that includes a trip to a lucky temple (where you will be engaged by a smart gentleman that will have a brother in your city that sells diamonds), then on to a couple of overpriced taylors (where the staff will loaf about infront of the door to make it awkward to leave) before a final visit to a gem dealer.

Not only did this happen to me when i visited Thailand for the first time, but to a few people that I know and I hear what they are saying when I pass them on visits to MBK.

Terrible to know that it is all organised with the police.

Yep, an old story resuscitated. I live near MBK and go there on average once a week, and have never been accosted in that vicinity by police or by fake police, nor do I know anyone who has.

I thought it was the same old angry litterer story. But then I came upon their fishing expedition.

These clowns are camped below the SIAM BTS. They even have a little table set up, with posters about littering. Kind of an "informational picket", so to speak.

Wander around the Siam Square side of the BTS, at the bottom of the stairs. You'll see them. They act like the typical traffic trap, except these guys go after pedestrians.

Actually that table with those guy's is there for many years already,even long time before the bts was build.I really wonder why certain people who go to mbk every day have never noticed it.

I know because I was caught at the same place many years ago for dropping a cigarette but into the hole of the drainage lid.Certainly I was an offender but what should I have done with my burning cigarette but as trash bins are nowhere.

In many country's there is a law against littering but at least they provide trash bins all over the place.In thailand they just remove them.

On every occasion that I visit MBK I have several trips outside to have a smoke. I often chat to the Tuk-Tuk drivers about things after they realize I am not a tourist and will not go to a tailor shop or jewelery store with them. I have never seen people in uniform lurking around there except the security guards. Whenever I finish my cigarette I walk back to the entrance and dispose of it in the ashtray provided. Really people open your eyes!!! Scammers can only exist where there are suckers that fall for the scam.

On every occasion that I visit MBK I have several trips outside to have a smoke. I often chat to the Tuk-Tuk drivers about things after they realize I am not a tourist and will not go to a tailor shop or jewelery store with them. I have never seen people in uniform lurking around there except the security guards. Whenever I finish my cigarette I walk back to the entrance and dispose of it in the ashtray provided. Really people open your eyes!!! Scammers can only exist where there are suckers that fall for the scam.

In my case, and a few of the others, these fools were seated next to where the stairs exit from the BTS at Siam, Siam Square side. I have no clue if they ever get anywhere near MBK.

I have been visiting Thailand for over ten years now and only ever had to pay one fine it was for not wearing a seltbelt when traveling in the front passenger seat of a minibus only 100baht :) I was guilty as charged and had no probelm paying the fine :D I have never been scamed yet and do not understand how tourists can be so f!cking dumb to be caught out by these scams saying that I had been backpacking in India and Afica before I went to Thailand :D

In my case, and a few of the others, these fools were seated next to where the stairs exit from the BTS at Siam, Siam Square side. I have no clue if they ever get anywhere near MBK.

Noted. I guess I have never seen them there either but then I have not been looking for them. The bottom line is if you are going to meekly hand over money to anyone wearing a uniform for something you have not done, then it doesn't matter where in the world you are... you will be a victim. If on the other hand you stand up to these morons and call the tourist police or real police, then your money will likely remain in your pocket. I find that there are plenty of rubbish receptacles provided in Thailand if you bother to look for them, unlike my own country (Australia), where phobia about terrorism has gone overboard and they have removed the rubbish bins from public areas.

Can't get much past you can they jack? Have you taken the promotion to the rank of Detective Inspector yet?

While we are on the subject of obsession, I see yours (with me) hasn't declined. :D

Ohhh Jack, Don't flatter yourself my tall skinny friend. I would consider myself a fan of your work but certainly NOT obsessed.

It would seem though that serpico is in full swing now and I predict that eventually this thread will close only to be reopened under the guise of another thread with an all new serpico in place. Some thing never change :D

While we are on the subject of obsession, I see yours (with me) hasn't declined. :D

Ohhh Jack, Don't flatter yourself my tall skinny friend. I would consider myself a fan of your work but certainly NOT obsessed.

It would seem though that serpico is in full swing now and I predict that eventually this thread will close only to be reopened under the guise of another thread with an all new serpico in place. Some thing never change :D

You're not suggesting that Serpico is a reincarnation of another well known poster who had an obsession for these type of threads are you? :D

Right I'm of for some lunch...Pad Thai I think today. :D

^Holy torledo batman, thats twice in one thread that someone has agreed with Jack.

You see toad, originally it was jack that picked our ole mate pad thai man, woops i mean serpcio and i agreed with him. :)

Anyway Jack, it looks like Mrtoad and I are coming over for a feed, whatscookin? :D

I think these things mostly happen in tourist area's, i live outside of those and so far i have never had to pay the police. I have been on my motorcycle and stopped and waved through.

I have even been in an accident where i was partly in the wrong but the police did not stick it on me and was helpful. After that accident where there were 2 cars a truck and my motorcycle i have changed my view of the police. There are a lot of good ones out there mostly outside of the tourist area's. I agree that there are also bad police officers and that extortion does happen.

Only the weak(mice) can be extorted,they never bother me. :):D:D:D:D

Agree totally alwaysright. No cop has ever tried to scam me in the 9 years I have been here. It might be because I just ignore them totally. On the odd one or two occasions one has tried to talk to me or get my attention, I pretended I couldn't hear them, ignored them completely and kept on walkin'. I have no time for these vermin!!

For those of us living here, and for those who know everything, these Bozos don't present much of a challenge. But, for those who look to TV for advice, these threads help.

Bangkok is full of clowns wearing all sorts of official looking uniforms. To a casual visitor, it often spells "authority". Personally, if the guy isn't wearing a gun, he can be straight with me, or he can kiss my butt!

3509154278_5ce216f19d.jpg

This is the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 11, in the heart of the hotel district.

from http://www.flickr.com/photos/29324583@N05/...57617714418287/

This picture reminds me of some of the beaches in Phuket! Check out Laem Ka beach in Rawai which is frequented by many of the local Thais. It's a pigsty!

Franky, I'd be happy if littering laws were enforced in thailand just as long as they were indiscriminately enforced.

^Holy torledo batman, thats twice in one thread that someone has agreed with Jack.

You see toad, originally it was jack that picked our ole mate pad thai man, woops i mean serpcio and i agreed with him. :)

Anyway Jack, it looks like Mrtoad and I are coming over for a feed, whatscookin? :D

I could do the special menu for you, neverdie.

How about Cold Shoulder, followed by Duck Under the Table :D