"why The Only Direction For Thailand Is Up"

LaoPo

Why the only direction for Thailand is up

By Simon Black · from: Sovereign Man*

I arrived into Thailand at 3am this morning from Shenzhen, and instantly I felt a bit happier. China is undoubtedly a booming colossus full of opportunity, but culturally it can be a bit grating after a while. After a month on the mainland, I needed a break, and Thailand was the perfect choice.

Aside from being one of my favorite countries in the world, I wanted to spend some time scouting Thai investment opportunities. I think the country is ripe for growth, but there are signs of a short-term correction. I want to be ready when that happens because there will be a lot of buying opportunities.

Additionally, some friends from Europe have met me here, and we’re putting in for visas to Burma. Thailand is the best place to apply for a Burmese visa, and if approved, I will be hopping over there for a few days to get a feel for the place and its opportunities.

Meanwhile, I’m spending the next few days hiding out in Pattaya, a great little Thai beach town that ranks among the cheapest civilized places in the world.

Aside from a few marquee western brands, it’s practically impossible to spend more than $100/night in accommodations here, and everything from drinks to taxi rides to motorcycle rentals is so cheap the prices are almost cute.

There are a lot of westerners here, mostly older men who troll around the city looking to pick up younger Thai women. You see it everywhere– the proverbial ‘age mismatch’ between a pasty white gentleman in his 60s with a beautiful young thing in her 20s. The Thais don’t seem to mind, and neither do their male companions.

As such, the place is fabulous for hedonists and retirees**… you can live on the cheap and have a great deal of fun in Pattaya, regardless of what you are into– outdoor sports, firearms, aquatics, food, nightlife, spa pampering, exotic animals, etc.

I would say that it’s probably the only place in the world where you can get a massage, play with a tiger, shoot an assault rifle, ride an elephant, and bungee jump– all within about 3 hours and $50.

More importantly, though, Thailand is one of the easiest places in the world to relax. The culture of service here is one of the most deferential in the world– Thais will wait on their patrons hand and foot and cater to their every possible whim.

For example, Thai bathroom attendants give backrubs to grown men who are in the middle of using a urinal, and everyone from elevator operators to hotel porters will snap their heels together and render a formal military salute to patrons who pass by.

To say that the Thai people make you feel welcome is a massive understatement… sometimes it can even make you a bit uncomfortable, especially when you consider the price (or lack of) that you are paying.

In the long term, I don’t see any direction for Thailand but up… it’s hard to imagine things becoming much cheaper here, but more importantly, the country controls vast quantities of two resources that will be absolutely critical in the future– productive agricultural land, and fresh water.

Given the extreme pricing imbalance in Thailand as well as the country’s natural resource wealth, I believe there is strong support for long-term investment here, despite any short-term fluctuations that occasionally arise due to geopolitical instability.

I will be discussing this more in future letters, but as I mentioned last week, an easy way to take a position in the country is through its currency, the baht. You can buy baht through an online FOREX platform like GFT Forex (www.gftforex.com) or at major banks.

* http://www.sovereignman.com/expat/why-the-...is-up/#more-935

** " hedonists and retirees* http://www.sovereignman.com/expat/the-7-expat-categories/

LaoPo....I'm getting my coat :)

Finally somebody on this site says something good about Pattaya. Pattaya is awesome, it is so cheap and there is so much fun to be had. I had a 125cc bike and an air con room with cable TV for under 500 bht a day.

:) ..now that's the kind of spenders LOS needs.

LaoPo

Finally somebody on this site says something good about Pattaya. Pattaya is awesome, it is so cheap and there is so much fun to be had. I had a 125cc bike and an air con room with cable TV for under 500 bht a day.

Pattaya is NOT 'awesome' the pacific ocean or Everest might be described thus, the universe certainly is. Pattaya being a tatty open air brothel most certainly is not.

Edited by thai3

To each his or her own.

If Pattaya was so universally horrible, then no one would go there.  But obviously, many people like it.

Personally, it is not my cup of tea, and I go there pretty much exclusively for the annual jetski tourney.  But whatever my personal preference, Pattaya has a draw which attracts tourists, Thais, and expats alike.  And there is nothing wrong with that.

My own favorite get-away is to rent a houseboat with friends on the lake in Kachanaburi.  I shudder to think what that would be like if everyone else in the country did that and it turned into a Lake Havasu-type experience, for those who understand that reference.  So for those who like Pattaya, enjoy!

I look forward to reading his update in 12 months. rolleyes.gif

Now, where are my rose tinted specs.......

He is the one wearing the rose tinted spectacles :)

Investment trends for asean countries show thailand in a weak and weakening position. People are not investing here because they are predicting the future. The money is going to other Asean.

Just because asset values are relatively low does not mean they will increase. Zimbabwe is a good parallel

Investment trends for asean countries show thailand in a weak and weakening position. People are not investing here because they are predicting the future. The money is going to other Asean.

Just because asset values are relatively low does not mean they will increase. Zimbabwe is a good parallel

Zimbabwe is a good parallel to the central banks in the west, not the east.

Are you aware of what the Fed has been doing lately ?

Foreign investment levels are low in Thailand and Zimbabwe. Look at a 5 year trend. Nothing to do with western and eastern banks or the fed. No confidence.

As such, the place is fabulous for hedonists and retirees**… you can live on the cheap and have a great deal of fun in Pattaya, regardless of what you are into– ... sports, firearms, aquatics, food, nightlife, spa pampering, exotic animals, etc.

... and all under one roof in the same bar.

----

Not sure I'd like to base my investments in thailand on one guy's impressions of his trip to Pattaya... Never come across the author before but sounds a little tongue in cheek to me :)

Edited by fletchsmile

Pattaya is NOT 'awesome' the pacific ocean or Everest might be described thus, the universe certainly is. Pattaya being a tatty open air brothel most certainly is not.

:)

And if anyone is still unclear on the meaning and uses of the word "awesome", i suggest you send your querries to a certain Mr Rumfoord who is Thaivisa's very own expert on the matter (although i suspect he may be "holidaying" right now). :D

:) ..now that's the kind of spenders LOS needs.

LaoPo

:D:D

I think the OP's description of Pattaya if fair and reasonable, especially so since he is only visiting and doesn't live there. There will of course be those who visited Pattaya once or twice and absolutely hated the place, fair enough, it's not everyone's cup of tea. But there again there are those folk that liked it so much that they moved there to live and the majority who return repeatedly for vacation, sometimes several time a year. But I think the people who view Pattaya most favourably are those who, like the OP, make a point of stopping over following a tough tour in China or similar places, it is a great place to relax and unwind and if you're earning in a foreign country, not even a little bit expensive. The key to maintaining a rosy view of Pattaya seems to be to have spent time somewhere else beforehand that's much worse and not to stay too long otherwise it can get very old.

The key to maintaining a rosy view of Pattaya seems to be to have spent time somewhere else beforehand that's much worse and not to stay too long otherwise it can get very old.

Maybe that's your key.

For those of us who have lived here for YEARS and love living here, well, we have a different key ...

Edited by Jingthing

If Pattaya is sooooo cheap why the fuc_k do i spend soooooo much money ??

Could it be women and beer?

I aint had secks with no women other than my missus for well over 12 months, i dont mind a beer or two, that would not top 500b a day though,money here seems like it is fairy dust, one day im minted and the next im waiting for PayDay.

In the long term, I don’t see any direction for Thailand but up… it’s hard to imagine things becoming much cheaper here, but more importantly, the country controls vast quantities of two resources that will be absolutely critical in the future....

Did anyone else think he was going to say something different than he did at this point?

name='sokal' I look forward to reading his update in 12 months. rolleyes.gif

He's at it again GOD BLESS AMERICAS COTTON SOCKS , he turns most threads into a mockery of his homeland who most likely gave him the means to be where he is today .

Two absolutely critical resources - what might they be? I don't see that water comes FROM Thailand, it does pass thru... without it productive land becomes unproductive.

Real vital resources, that you can trade - do you recall any uranium mines, for example?

Edited by fridgemagnet