Big Rear Hard Top Carrier For Sports Bike

Cobrabiker

Hi Cobra. Dr-bike has the best selection of top boxes. They can provide the Givi mounts to suit the bike (very expensive) or they will make a rack mount (specify that you want very strong, A friend did have a problem. but i think dr bike learned from that).

BUT are you sure you want to put a top box on a pure sports bike like the 929.

I would have thought a tankbag and throw over panniers would be better.

See mocyc.com for lots of luggage

I will buy an ER6N very soon and have been looking at hard top and side bags. In this country, these clowns want 70,000 baht (about $2,121US) for very plain Givi bags and mounts! <deleted>??? I can buy them on the Internet, with a very wide (unlimited) choice of models and mounts and have them shipped to a friend in the US for about $850 (28,050 THB), complete. That leaves about $1,271US to cover shipping and duty!! I will have them shipped by the Post Office because I have never even been charged duty for anything that came by post, and I have received a lot. I expect shipping will cost $200-250US (6,600-8,250THB), so I'll save about 33,700 THB! Somebody here is cutting a fat one. While I am about it, I am bringing over a ton of other accessories as well as I either cannot find it here, or they want 120-150% MORE than I have to pay in the US.

I will buy an ER6N very soon and have been looking at hard top and side bags. In this country, these clowns want 70,000 baht (about $2,121US) for very plain Givi bags and mounts! <deleted>??? I can buy them on the Internet, with a very wide (unlimited) choice of models and mounts and have them shipped to a friend in the US for about $850 (28,050 THB), complete. That leaves about $1,271US to cover shipping and duty!! I will have them shipped by the Post Office because I have never even been charged duty for anything that came by post, and I have received a lot. I expect shipping will cost $200-250US (6,600-8,250THB), so I'll save about 33,700 THB! Somebody here is cutting a fat one. While I am about it, I am bringing over a ton of other accessories as well as I either cannot find it here, or they want 120-150% MORE than I have to pay in the US.

tongue taid.............. you have been looking in the wrong places then!

Agreed.

The complete Givi V35 set-up for the ER6 can be had for about $1200 USD if sourced in Thailand. In the USA, the set up is about $800.

I'll have them on for the TV Charity Ride if you want to check em out.

Hi thaicbr, where is Dr-bike? Have they ever done it on a sports bike? I want a hassle free solid installation. I like a hard solid box and not bags, and it will be very convenient to travel around long distance without worrying about the rain. Has any body seen one on a sports bike? Weird? Convenient? hmmm would like to see one before I install.

Well, I haven't got a sports bike yet, but will be very soon.

Hi Tongue, you said that you have never paid any duty for goods arrive by post, I have ordered usb adapter cost about US$60 and the post office require me to pay 300 baht. Why?

Hi thaicbr, where is Dr-bike? Have they ever done it on a sports bike? I want a hassle free solid installation. I like a hard solid box and not bags, and it will be very convenient to travel around long distance without worrying about the rain. Has any body seen one on a sports bike? Weird? Convenient? hmmm would like to see one before I install.

Hi Tongue, you said that you have never paid any duty for goods arrive by post, I have ordered usb adapter cost about US$60 and the post office require me to pay 300 baht. Why?

Dr Bike is on Chok Chai 4. Here's a map:

DrBikeBKK.jpg

I got this top box and a custom built rack for about 7 or 8 thousand Baht, all in, but the rack was poorly designed and broke nearly causing a wreck... Put it way back there to accommodate the missus, but if riding solo I'd recommend a rack that places the box over the pillion seat instead of hanging it way off the back like this:

020609ER6n4.jpg

020509GiviInstall3Sm.jpg

To their credit DR Bike made me a new rack that seems a lot more solid, but after that experience I've been in no hurry to use a top box again. 15 liter dive bag strapped securely to the pillion is all I need.

Here's how I completed SSR1 after the rack bit the dust:

0309ER6Sm.jpg

Also, at higher speeds the top box tends to unsettle the bike.

Here's how I completed SSR1 after the rack bit the dust:

0309ER6Sm.jpg

Also, at higher speeds the top box tends to unsettle the bike.

I have had a lot of stuff sent from the US via United States Post Office to Thai Post and have NEVER had a box opened nor have I had duty assessed. I always have my friend use a used box and have him throw in a paperback book and a used T-Shirt. He labels the contents "Used books, clothing, gifts and donations." Value about $100. Maybe I have just been lucky so far.

I usde to carry a dry bag like in the picture above, over my hard and locked side cases. The bag was bungeed on. I was quite happy with that setup until one day in broad daylight in Alberta, Canada, I left the bike unattended for about 5 minutes. When I came back, the bungees were hanging there, bag gone and nobody in sight. I lost over $1,000US worth of riding apparel -- including my rain gear (it started raining hard and cold immediately). I went to all hard bags after that.

Your experience on the rear top carrier scares me, what if it is mounted on a cbr 929 going at 220km/hr? Can't find the box when you have stop for a break?

LOL, seriously though, all of the Givi boxes come with max speed warning labels, which, if you follow them, will make your 929 a pretty boring ride...

Your experience on the rear top carrier scares me, what if it is mounted on a cbr 929 going at 220km/hr? Can't find the box when you have stop for a break?

LOL, seriously though, all of the Givi boxes come with max speed warning labels, which, if you follow them, will make your 929 a pretty boring ride...

I had a Givi copy box on my yammy nuovo. labeled with 100kmh speedlimit and 5 kg load. the box was empty and cracked at 30 kmh. bottom left on bike, the rest on the road , in 3 pieces. never bothered to get a new one :)

if i ride ninja solo i use a softbag strapped to seat or a squared 199 baht bigc box strapped to the seat for laptop or shopping

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, now not a 929, but a FZ1, I have seen a few with top box, but was wondering whether the top box and the rack can withstand vibration and the stress at the speed of 220 to 240km/hr.

Will be collecting my 03 fazer FZ1 tomorrow, called Dr Bike about the rack that was broken on a bike and he told me now they are using stronger iron, well, is it true? What about Givi rack for the FZ1, are they strong enough?

I intend to go for week tour around thailand, and when the road is open, I will blast the fazer, but it will be dangerous for the vehicle behind if the rack break. At the speed of over 200kmh, and the weight in the box,is it too much stress on the rack? Any custom made with reinforcement to handle this kind of stress?

Ok, now not a 929, but a FZ1, I have seen a few with top box, but was wondering whether the top box and the rack can withstand vibration and the stress at the speed of 220 to 240km/hr.

Will be collecting my 03 fazer FZ1 tomorrow, called Dr Bike about the rack that was broken on a bike and he told me now they are using stronger iron, well, is it true? What about Givi rack for the FZ1, are they strong enough?

I intend to go for week tour around thailand, and when the road is open, I will blast the fazer, but it will be dangerous for the vehicle behind if the rack break. At the speed of over 200kmh, and the weight in the box,is it too much stress on the rack? Any custom made with reinforcement to handle this kind of stress?

What's this obsession about hauling ass with a big old top box on your bike? If using a top box just don't go so dam_n fast. Or do so at your own peril. Better to get to your destination, drop the box at your hotel, and THEN blast it. Good luck!

If some boxes crack at 30kmh I sure wouldnt pass 120 with any of them. Strapped softbag works just fine. Rack is no problem to make strong enough, my Nuovo even has a trailer hitch on the rack, pulling 70-100 kg of trailer.

Hi Allan, thanks for introducing me to the thai website, there are lots of big bikes in there, and mine was bought from that site, with green book. I know it sounds stupid to go fast on givi box, but I just love the convenience of a givi box too much, I am also considering saddle bags, will it fly away going over 200 kmh?

Hi Allan, thanks for introducing me to the thai website, there are lots of big bikes in there, and mine was bought from that site, with green book. I know it sounds stupid to go fast on givi box, but I just love the convenience of a givi box too much, I am also considering saddle bags, will it fly away going over 200 kmh?

Cobra,

I had a small Givi c/w clip on base on a custom rack fitted to a NSR 150RR in Indonesia. I routinely rode at 140 and sometimes 150+ absolutely rock solid and enough space for a weekends worth of clothing. It worked OK and Indo roads are much rougher than Thai. Overflow stuff can always be put in a tank bag.

OK it fell off once but it was a very large speed bump I didn't see. Dropped the bike twice, box stayed on.

Bonus it stuck out far enough to save the exhaust from being scratched.

You just need to spend some time looking. Mr. T Bike? Riders Club? Dirt Shop? Givi manufactures in Malaysia maybe a call would get a Thai distributor.

Any custom rack needs to be made out of strip steel not tubing. Tubing maybe light but it is not strong enough and will break eventually usually at the welds. Don't forget the rack stays even when the bag is at home so the bike looks odd naked.

Maybe a tail bag as has been suggested and keep everything in plastic bags!! I sometimes had an umm. passenger, so the box was more convenient.

Edited by VocalNeal

Thanks vocalneal, went to Dr. Bike yesterday and they told me that this can be done, with extra bars fitted to reinforce it, it may look ugly but strong, very nice guy and friendly. I will fit a givi E450s on it, but the bike gotta leave at the shop for 1 full day, I will go back later to get it fixed.

0309ER6Sm.jpg

Tony,

Bike looks good and I'm a fan of strapped bags or comfort style backpacks.

Cheers

Garry

Cheers Garry,

That was my "improvised" touring luggage after the rack holding my Givi top box snapped... :)

That was the first, and most likely the last time I'll be using a top box.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hi Tony, how fast were you travelling and was it heavy in your box when you broke the rack?

Fortunately I was only going about ~80km/hr and it broke while I was on a straight or I'd have been in the ditch or worse as the box got wedged under the tail section and locked up the rear tire - :D

Box was lightly loaded- I'd guesstimate about 10-15Kg. (Another thing I notice is that those boxes are to some bikers what purses are to women- the bigger they are the more useless crap you tend to carry around). :)

Tank Bag is a much better option IMO. On a faired bike you hardly notice they’re there and they're protected from the wind, at high speeds you tend to lean on them further decreasing the chances they will detach. They’re right in front of you so you can keep a bottle of water/phone/map etc in them for easy access. They don’t ruin the look of the bike and you can take them off when you’re on short trips. They’re also cheaper, and mine doubles up as a rucksack when you get to wherever you’re going (no need to unload stuff when you get to the hotel, just pick up the bag and go). Easily swappable between bikes as well.

On a step through boxes might be OK, but on a bike with a tank I don't see the point. The thought of the rack failing while riding is pretty scary as well, not to mention all that weight high up over the back wheel :)

I was looking at the full Givi set today for the ER-6n, 66,000 baht. That includes top and sides, and racks. The sides were 40k, the top 26, 18 of that just for the box. The funny thing was, next to the very large Givi top box, they had a half size one for a mere BHT 2,500. Price difference because the smaller one was made in Malaysia, the others in Italy.

For the perceived quality, I have to say the Malaysian one looked about right - not cheap, mind you. The Italian models, grossly overpriced. If I pay 26,000 baht for a top box, I expect the locking mechanism to be rock solid, and the box to stay open when I open it. Great design on the outside, cheap stuff on the inside. Kinda like a FIAT :)

Good point about high speed problems with the top box, hadn't thought about it.

Tank Bag is a much better option IMO. On a faired bike you hardly notice they're there and they're protected from the wind, at high speeds you tend to lean on them further decreasing the chances they will detach. They're right in front of you so you can keep a bottle of water/phone/map etc in them for easy access. They don't ruin the look of the bike and you can take them off when you're on short trips. They're also cheaper, and mine doubles up as a rucksack when you get to wherever you're going (no need to unload stuff when you get to the hotel, just pick up the bag and go). Easily swappable between bikes as well.

On a step through boxes might be OK, but on a bike with a tank I don't see the point. The thought of the rack failing while riding is pretty scary as well, not to mention all that weight high up over the back wheel :)

I would like a tank bag for my CBR150. Any idea where I could get one in Ubon?

Thanks,

Tim

I have a honda phantom 200cc back home fitted with solid rack and top box, usually carry about 5 to 15kg, have it for 4 years and never break or crack, rock solid even travelling at 120km.

Hi Tony, your experience of the broken rack really scares me, it will be disastrous for the motorists behind me if the rack broke and fell off, traveling at 200km/hr and what about insurance, does it cover for accident like this.

Well Jonny, I bought a tank bag and don't quite like it as it prevents me from ducking when going at high speed, will try out strapped bag like tony's kawi.

Hi Tony, your experience of the broken rack really scares me, it will be disastrous for the motorists behind me if the rack broke and fell off, traveling at 200km/hr and what about insurance, does it cover for accident like this.

If that's all you're worried about, just don't stop :)

If that's all you're worried about, just don't stop :)

I used Gearsack racks and bags for years in Australia and at testing speeds in triple figures without so much as a problem. Mind you they sit snug and are behind the rider away from most of the slipstream. The best part was that the bag could be turned 180 degrees onto the seat and still be held in place by its one (1) yes one, strong clip and strap. :D

69928kf_19.jpeg

Edited by Garry