Ten Year Old Won't Stand Up

bungalowbill

• 3 weeks later...

It is an interesting clip.

Having worked in schools my whole life, I do admire his courage, but I fear for him. He is very likely to be labeled as gay from this point forward...and apparently he already has heard such comments, based on what he said in the interview...and he is awfully prissy acting (not a criticism, just an observation) for a 10 year old. He said he has known many gay people his whole life. That's rather unique...wonder how that happened? That will open another whole series of questions locally.

He does not have a legal obligation to say or even stand for the pledge. In our school system, based on tons of opinions from lawyers, every student could choose to do so, or not, the only requirement being that if you do not wish to participate you cannot disrupt others who do.

Phetaroi, although it is unusual for a child to come out and say these things publicly on TV- *technically* it is not unique for him to have actually known gay people all his life- even if they weren't openly gay (which is becoming more and more common, even in domestic living arrangements), statistically he could be sure that what he was saying was the truth. It's pretty hard to avoid that invisible 10+/-2%.

And from his strong idealistic standpoint, I think part of the point is that he doesn't care if people label him as gay or not. Either way, good for him!

I did the same thing as a kid in response to the Vietnam war along with some friends, but it wasn't nearly as brave as even though we were a minority, it wasn't an original individual action. This boy is amazing. If you have ever been to small town Arkansas, you would realize how amazing and brave.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

Great story. He is right. Good for him.

I was brought up largely free of direct religious influence. I still remember when I was 8 or 9 and realized that there were adults that actually took this "God" thing seriously. To me He was the same as Santa and the Easter bunny, imaginary. I would always skip the "under God" bit when I said the pledge, that is when I didn't turn the pledge into a prayer that for the cute read head sitting next to me, Mary was her name, to love me. :)

I hope more take his example and stand (or remain seated) for Liberty and Justice for all.

I wish him the best.

I guess I look at the principle a little differently.

When I read the part about, "and to the Republic for which it stands," I see the promise of the nation. Just like America (or any other country), I personally have not risen to my "promise". I see it as going back to Kennedy's "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country," speech. Protesting against something is fine, but in itself if doesn't build a better America.

It's pretty hard to avoid that invisible 10+/-2%.

I've never believed that figure. The last US census put it below 2%, add the people that are not out of the closet and I reckon it maybe 4% tops.

It may not be 10% completely gay/lesbian. But after you've spent 1,600 years putting a false fear of God in them to repress their natures, it'll take several generations to find themselves. Give them a chance.