Low Risk/start-up Cost Businesses In Isaan

Svenn

Are there any conventional, steady small businesses that can be started from a home in an urban part of Isaan (Ubon)? We're both young and I'll be stuck working in the U.S. for the foreseeable future, and my gf can get steady support from me of about 20k baht a month. She doesn't want to passively sit around and is currently actively looking for jobs, but we both agree that 4,000B a month restaurant/menial labor jobs, which she's used to and is all she can find in Ubon, are not really worth her time. If she can reliably get 10k or 20k a month, then we believe it's worth it to start working. We have a new house on a busy street in central Ubon city.

So, are there any conventional choices for small businesses for persons in her situation in Thailand? It seems like there's millions of little convenience stores and food stalls around, so that's a no-go. A full-blown 7-11 requires too much start-up investment (500k I believe?). We don't want anything risky. I'm open to trying something novel or different, but the farang's usual idea of a burrito stand is a bit much :D We have lots of pets and she's sold some of their offspring, I'm wondering if she should just dive into that (though a mini-chatuchack in our backyard is a dubious prospect :)

I'm starting to think, if all else fails, it might be easier just to start a mutual fund for her.

When you say central Ubon, where exactly (well not to exact) do you mean?

Do you get much foot traffic (ie next to a school etc)

What are the immediate business close to you? Banks and govt offices or food places and bike repair shops?

Edited by MeMock

I live in Ubon for the past 2 years (just retired, with wife/children) and have always been thinking about a 'SB' small business venture.

as you have stated, the wages are not too high (4K-5K) monthly and probably a waste of energy. You just need the special niche

and attraction for a steady good business, but what?

do you market for farangs (foreigners)?, do you market for locals?

- working out of home office is probably unlikely here as the concept is not fully developed or you have already established something. a home business such as the commenter below (coin operated Laundry) or a retail store of some type may be

an option.

* does your wife have a translation/interpretation skill? you may start a translation, office supply type business from home.

Its hard to make money here but I actually think the fist suggestion you got is a good one. Might be worth getting your lady to do a bit of market research in the local Hotels/small resorts dotted around most large towns. You only need one good contract to start you off, after all.

That also depends on transportation, can your lady drive??

:)

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Thanks for the posts so far, I'll look into the laundry idea.

When you say central Ubon, where exactly (well not to exact) do you mean?

Do you get much foot traffic (ie next to a school etc)

What are the immediate business close to you? Banks and govt offices or food places and bike repair shops?

Yes, we are in fact almost right outside the front door of a public primary school. Problem is those kids don't have much money. I guess a computer/gaming shop might get a lot of them, but the school might get angry if kids start sneaking away from class. We're close to Mun river... but not in the multi-storied downtown so it's more residential and doesn't have gov't offices/ bike repair shop type places.

As a friend of mine said "Why do anything" ?

Unless you have a reason/calling/ambition to provide a specific service or have a specific business in mind - then why bother.

I doubt you will find something to generate 10k/20k p.m./ without a large capital outlay.

I have just spent 700k setting up a business and I doubt it will do better than break-even.

This also raises relationship questions - you are giving your wife 20k p.m. for NOTHING. Why would she want to work for next-to-nothing.

I have been giving my wife 2k p.w. and this now comes out of the business. She will soon realise that she is 'working' up to 12 hours a day for the same money - if a profit is not generated. She will not relate to the capital value that has been created - only to the weekly income.

As a friend of mine said "Why do anything" ?

Unless you have a reason/calling/ambition to provide a specific service or have a specific business in mind - then why bother.

I doubt you will find something to generate 10k/20k p.m./ without a large capital outlay.

I have just spent 700k setting up a business and I doubt it will do better than break-even.

This also raises relationship questions - you are giving your wife 20k p.m. for NOTHING. Why would she want to work for next-to-nothing.

I have been giving my wife 2k p.w. and this now comes out of the business. She will soon realise that she is 'working' up to 12 hours a day for the same money - if a profit is not generated. She will not relate to the capital value that has been created - only to the weekly income.

Wise words Ray.

I believe many over here do not understand the concept of Profit or Income&Expenditure. They just get some cash and spend it.

Dave

Outside a school? Great location! You will be surprised at the money that these kids do actually have.

Set up a small stall that has the usual rubbish for them to snack on but then of course you need to offer something different. Toasted sandwiches/waffles/mini cheese burgers etc. Something that is no more then 20 - 35 baht.

Outside a school? Great location! You will be surprised at the money that these kids do actually have.

Set up a small stall that has the usual rubbish for them to snack on but then of course you need to offer something different. Toasted sandwiches/waffles/mini cheese burgers etc. Something that is no more then 20 - 35 baht.

I've seen those mini-cheeseburger stands do well in the South.

How much do little food stalls like that profit?

I know a couple with a drink stand (chaa yen, juices, etc) in business area of Sathon make about 20 or 25k a month... and they seem to only work for half the day (close after the lunch hour). If a small food stall could make half that in Ubon, that would be good.

I'm also thinking about getting a few computers, maybe only 4 or 5 at the start, and see how often the kids would come in... if it's packed and kids are waiting, I guess I'd know to get more... and if no one comes, I could just sell the computers at a slight loss.

I'd like her to try all of these ideas, diversification, then just stick with whichever one is successful.

Edited by Svenn

Hi Svenn

I know its down to location, but I have my doubts about the profitability of Internet Cafe's. Around this area (Surin) I have seen many close down (including that of a good (Thai/Chinese) friend.

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Well, been reading this now from the start and i can say that with out invest one will not get profit.

I have been running business in Ubon and with out hard work there is change that one get profit right away, even then it will take yrs to brake it even

We are (Wife) running Full licenced Pharmacy and Whole sell Pharmacy and that need guite large invest+6yrs of Study(for wife)

I'm doing book keeping and managed bill's and payments and in our field(Pharmaceutical) it's really tough and 12hrs days are minimum and really early wake ups are mandatory, but i have noticed, it's all payed off and from my side have noticed that it's keep me busy as well and give me and my wife something to do every day, even we are closed one day of th week, but that day is dedicated for shopping.

Business life here it's not easy, what ever one is doing, but time flyes and in the side we have fun

this is just what i have been experiencig

20000 baht a month to his gf in issan. i have got 3 ( not including and ) words to say about that..... Hook Line and Sinker !

Why are you sending 20000 a month to a girl in issan. It is like sending about $ 8000 dollors to someone in the USA each month. That is comparing average salerys.

This girl is the ' cash cow ' of her family. ( i dont mean cow in a bad way its just a money making term ).

I can tell you this my friend she will not be worring about any job or business when you are sending her that much, becuase she can afford to keep her self and her family doing very well.

When you say you and her have a new home, did you mean you brought her a house in her name to ? Her future is sorted no more worries , she will not want a business . when you are there yes shes looking for a job but when you are not there there is no chance she is looking for anything. No one would want to work if someone is sending them 5 X times the average salery ! My friend you are her job and business in one.

No worries

• Like 1

I’ve watched 2 successful low overhead businesses with interest (and envy) for the past 5 years. Both started with minimal investment, quickly built up a regular customer base and are thriving.

One started in a prime main street location and had to move after the rent was increased 5 fold. They moved around the corner to an out of the way location at the end of a little soi. Their customers followed. There are long queues lining up in the afternoons.

Another started with a small cart parked on a footpath. They’ve since progressed to a new pickup with purpose built kitchen complete with retractable shades.

All this from selling flavoured drinks made from powdered flavouring, beans, milk and ice.

20000 baht a month to his gf in issan. i have got 3 ( not including and ) words to say about that..... Hook Line and Sinker !
'chopperbopper' gets my vote for the best reply to date. 20,000 Baht a month is way too much. Why give her any ? Is she disabled ?

Deary deary me. You don't know who I am, or, what I do, yet you think you do.

Firstly, I live in Phuket which is a bit more expensive than Isaan.

Secondly, you expect a woman to stay with you for love alone?

Love don't pay the bills. In Thailand it's a bit more traditional; the man is expected to be the breadwinner.

I'm quite confident that if tomorrow I lost it all, she would stand by me and spend her money supporting me.

Can you say the same? Think you've watched too many Hollywood movies and think that real life should be like that.

You don't live with a woman for twelve years and not know whether it's true love, or, not.

If you think 40,000 Bt is a lot of money, maybe you should get a better job?

I know I will get ripped into pieces for this but not all women are gold diggers. Some really do want to help. Despite being given housekeeping money, which is more than enough to pay bills and have some spending money, many women are not satisfied with that and want to help bring in funds to the family through work or their own small business. There is also the issue of feeling useful and doing something worthwhile.

Obviously there are others who will take your money and as soon as you are away turn to a Thai boyfriend or falang one for that matter. However, I doubt that you know the OP or his missus so it is a tad unfair to pass judgement. Perhaps, your comments are based on personal experience. I really don't know.

My brother in law has an internet cafe in Ubol. He does not seem to be making much money from it and wishes he never got into the game. Over the past two weeks he has kept having to close at odd hours to avoid the BSA software piracy raids. I have told him time and time again to get legal, but even with the lower prices of genuine software says he can't afford to.

Laundry sounds a good idea.

Its hard to make money here but I actually think the fist suggestion you got is a good one. Might be worth getting your lady to do a bit of market research in the local Hotels/small resorts dotted around most large towns. You only need one good contract to start you off, after all.

That also depends on transportation, can your lady drive??

:)

Dave

Yep, understanding your market is key. Certainly in an reasonable urban setting, one can easily develop a business of sorts {service/product}. Consider getting into something that little are doing, find a niche market where such competition is nominal. Be unique and different from the crowd..... :D

I know I will get ripped into pieces for this but not all women are gold diggers. Some really do want to help. Despite being given housekeeping money, which is more than enough to pay bills and have some spending money, many women are not satisfied with that and want to help bring in funds to the family through work or their own small business. There is also the issue of feeling useful and doing something worthwhile.

It's the familial side, as most independently small Thai business ventures tend to be a collective effort. Quite often everyone shares in the revenue.

I bought my wife a washing machine and a good steam Iron.

She was able to earn about 5k Per month Not a lot of money,

We were living in a village location and we did not have a car.

People brought the Laundry to the house and collected it. If your wife has transport she could do better than my wife by collecting.

Having said that I think most hotels Ect will have their own facilities.

it is Important to Buy a large capacity washing machine in order to do large Items. Duvets were a good earner 100 Bhat (last Year) and no Ironing

Peak time for these items just before the cold season.

If it don't work out you still have the machine for your own use so all is not lost Good Luck

I bought my wife a washing machine and a good steam Iron.

She was able to earn about 5k Per month Not a lot of money,

We were living in a village location and we did not have a car.

People brought the Laundry to the house and collected it. If your wife has transport she could do better than my wife by collecting.

Having said that I think most hotels Ect will have their own facilities.

it is Important to Buy a large capacity washing machine in order to do large Items. Duvets were a good earner 100 Bhat (last Year) and no Ironing

Peak time for these items just before the cold season.

If it don't work out you still have the machine for your own use so all is not lost Good Luck

Good to know Kennkate. But I don't understand why the local folk are willing to pay to use the laundry machine? I thought washing your own clothes was a pass-time for thrifty Isaan folk, i.e. I wouldn't think they'd be willing to pay for such a service.

I'll keep those warnings about internet cafes in mind... I too do not understand how those air-conned, luxury-sofa places profit at 10B an hour.

It's all very well guys saying that girls should have a job but do they realise that most Thai jobs are 10-12 hrs a day sometimes 28 days a month.

My real life example

My missus found a lovely job in a beauty shop/salon. Easy work she didn't even cut hair. paid 6500bt per month. (less than a days money for me) and she enjoyed the work.

Problem was I never saw her apart from at work. 8am to 8pm 28 days a month. I ended up seeing more of the BG's in my local than the missus. Not good for a healthy relationship that.

On the business side It'll be hard to make 10000-20000 bt with no outlay. We had a busy shop (usual thai shop selling beer,food, icecream etc) in an estate with no competition. We netted 10000 bt p/m,a bit more when I was there and that was open 6am till 10 pm.

Another poster was right saying it's a family affair and it was. Mama opened , Missus closed even the nipper helped out after school.Ferrang went to the wholesaler with the shopping list.

They were enjoyable times unfortunately Tesco opened 2 miles down the road and competition moved into the estate, a 24 hour shop. Between the two of them they closed us down.

That was a 40,0000 bt set up so it can be done on the cheap.

Sparky

^thanks sparky. Yes, it seems kind of odd to be doing those 12 hour, 6000 baht/month jobs if a lady is already getting support. I'm surprised your busy shop, (sounds more like a small restaurant?) only made 10k some months... I know people steadily getting 20k just doing what Farma described below (though that's in bkk):

Another started with a small cart parked on a footpath. They've since progressed to a new pickup with purpose built kitchen complete with retractable shades.

All this from selling flavoured drinks made from powdered flavouring, beans, milk and ice.

Very similar to Kuhn Farma, in NE Isaan there is a little hole-in-the-wall Thai version of a 7-11 run by a Thai couple... on a small Soi with other similar shops and a genuine 7-11 not too far away... everything delivered by motorcycle side-car except as below. next to a Wat with a lot of young monks. To look at it you would think 'how can they possibly stay in business?'

Every week on Tuesday afternoon a large Coca-Cola truck shows up and COMPLETELY UNLOADS... I would say 350 - 400 customers per 16 hour day --- the store is virtually never void of a customer and at times is crowded ... you do the math.