Passport Confiscated At American Embassy

ccarbaugh

Edited because I misread the OP's support explanation.

If you still have 2 teenagers to support, you are in no position to retire. Frankly, retiring while still having those obligations was a rather bizarre move, that should be explained further, if you hope to garner any support beyond the sexpat brigade. Go home, get another job and support your kids fully until they reach their majority. I am not making any further assumptions about your situation, because being presented with only one side of the story does not lend itself to making any conclusions.

Edited by LawnGnome

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lied, I am going to comment further. Why would anyone "retire" when they have a court ordered child support payment to meet? Frankly, it looks like you were never in any position to retire. If you think that paying $450 (half of your pension) is enough to support 2 teenagers, then you're mental. A man who bears children has the responsibility to raise and support them fully until their majority. Anyone who would "retire" on a $900 pension obviously doesn't much care about his childrens welfare, and and you are not going to get an ounce of sympathy from me.

Don't you get it? It doesn't matter if your wife is Lucifer herself. You have a court ordered obligation, and you have a far larger moral obligation to your children. Retiring, moving to Thailand and only sending $450 for your 2 teenage children is reprehensible.

Edited by LawnGnome

Many of us know for certain the the US court system is biased towards the woman. When my ex wife and I were divorced, she got nearly everything. I did get the hand tools that I had collected over many years. The tools were in a locked workshop on HER property. When I went to pick them up, the lock was broken and there were no tools there. Her useless thieving father had taken them all. The law would do nothing and the sheriff walked away after asking my wife if this was a domestic problem.

At the time of the divorce hearing she was awarded child support and temporary alimony for a six month period. I didn't have enough to live on without moving back in with my parents. She had a boyfriend but waited for the alimony to run out before they got married.

She then moved my kids out of the state without my permission which is against the law. I quit paying child support and the sheriff came knocking at my door and told me I had to pay regardless of what she had done. The law did nothing and I had to keep paying.

No one ever said the law was fair but you CANNOT run away from child support. The only satisfaction I got was to tell my lawyer that he wasn't going to get paid for at least six months. He waited.

I got the investment income from one of your older posts ...... I agree - My pension, (beginning next year,) will be approx 24K - the rest of my income is investment- based, so will be variable. 400K deposit isn't a problem but (hopefully) it can be in CD's or an interest-bearing account - ? Seems like a lot of "hoops" but, as always, we all pay the price for the minority ....... According to this you have "variable investment based income ....... Thats a copy and paste of your own post.

Several years ago, while conducting business at the US embassy, I stood next to a guy who had his passport confiscated. When he complained that he couldn't return to the US, the embassy official asked, "Why would we want you back in the US?" He threatened the life of an elected US official, certainly more important than not paying child support. Working in movies and commercials, I meet all kinds, including retarded - excuse me "retired" - men from the US. In two cases guys refused to pay child support, and had their social security benefits garnished. They though they were going to live on a king's ransom. After garnishment, they were living on a Burger King's ransom.

It's disappointing to read how many TVers believe that it's OK to abandon their responsibilities - including support for their estranged families. The OP's story is a cautionary tale for many guys. Heretofore, farangs asked if the US would have them extradited for violating a court order. Without any consideration, TVers would post, "Heck, no, you can do anything back home, and the US government won't do anything to hinder your lifestyle in Thailand." Now, you know better.

I would also point out that the 24K you say will be your pension shows that your not being honest ..... since you said 400k would be no problem, you obviously have money saved, you also say 24k in same sentence so we can correctly assume it's in bht and represents the 900 dollars. If in fact you had any intention of paying child support you would have said your income\pension was more like 12k or 450 dollars. You also were looking for a 15,000 bht place to live which makes no sense if you really only have 450 to spend. Your whole story if full of nonsense and half truths. According to your own old and new posts it's clear to me you intended to do as you say, which is retire in Thailand on 24k per month and your vairable investment income and not pay your child support which is why your passport was taken. The other poster has a very valid point ..... why would a 55 year old blow off the kids to retire in Thailand ? Do you really think any sensible person thinks a sexpat like you (according to your own posts) who asks about the nightlife and talks about soi cowboy ect, is only living on 450 per month ? How stupid are we supposed to be ?