Tile Cutting Problem

Tigs

I have an area of floor that I want laying with a 60 cm white tile and then have a 10cm Black tile put in at the meeting of 4 white tiles, I guess you understand. The problem is that the way the thai tradesman lay the tiles is to put all the white down first and then cut the square out once everything is set in the cement then place in the smaller Black one. I am concerned that whilst cutting out the squares using an angle grinder etc, that there will be 'overun' with the blade, leaving cut marks beyond the edge of the square.

My question is therefore, is there a smaller cutting tool on the market used for precision shapes that I can buy? Or should I forget the Black squares? Can I 'etch' a square in the tile with acid? (I am just brain storming here guys, sorry if they are stupid ideas), then lay a thin 'veneer' of black tile in the square hole?

Any ideas? I am out of my depth :) and don't want to see a really nice floor ruined with a poor finish.

Seems to be the standard way of doing it in Thailand, you just need to keep your fingers crossed that the tiler has good control of the angle grinder.

An alternate way of doing it is to cut-off the corners of each tile prior to laying it and lay the small square later.

Artisl

Thanks. As for the alternative way of doing it, that is exactly how I thought it would be done :) I guess though to the Tilers credit, it would have made things more difficult as he did go to some effort to change and move tiles to try and get a perfectly flat join. He has done a great job, and the floor is wonderful. I am worried my desire to make it look epic might ruin the whole thing. If there was a small diamond tipped cutter on the market I would buy one for the job just to get it right.

There are proper "Tile Cutting" manual devices available in Thailand that do a cleaner cut than an electric angle grinder. They look sort of like a paper cutter. Ask at a good tile shop or good building materials shop. They are not expensive for Farang, but a typical Thai "tradesman" would not spend his own money on such a work tool.

Kamalabob

Thanks. I think my Chang has one I think. But if it is what I am thinking of (looks like the slider guillotine for paper) is it for cutting the tiles before they are laid? I have seen some smaller discs for the angle grinder, but can't work out if they are for ceramics.

Tigs,

the tool is used as you describe, for instance to size the final run of tile against the wall. If the guy runs the grinder down his line, and chips out the excess from below the "round" in the cut where needed, it sounds like an elegant solution to the problem. It would seem harder to get everything straight if you cut the tiles first, then lay.