50cc Scooters, And Shipping With In Thailand

coolxten

Hi,

I'm looking to get a reliable used 50cc scooter that I'll be using for 2 months. Does anyone know if it's difficult to buy bikes as low as 50cc? What's a reasonable price to pay? Also, will I need to get it registered, what's the process? What's the risk level of getting a non-registered bike? Can foreigners even buy bikes?

I'm also thinking of giving it away to my family in Khon Kaen. Is there a practical way of shippping it to them?

Thanks,

Will

Are you refering to the automatic honda Dio? 6-8,000 Baht should be good. They should have a plate.

If you are fereing to the Honda Chaly (Cf50 or Cf70) or Honda Dax you will be paying 4-8k depening on it's condition. Only the 70CC version of the Chaly were registered in Thailand, to my knowledge.

Yes you can own a bike as a foregner.

On a side note, if you are looking to ride one of these things and not modify them first (HUGE following with the Chaly and Dax, I dropped 30k into my own) you will not top out 40kph.

Get yourself an older honda Dream 100cc for 8-15k. They are bullet proof and cheap to run and maintain. Plus they will handle your frame easier than a 50cc will.

I have seen bikes strapped to pick ups. The family might be willing to pick it up themselves if it's a decent enough bike.

On a side note I have never had problems with the police despite having no plate, no book, and a highly modified bike. And yes I have been stopped, they simple admired my bike and I went on my way. (Sobriety check).

Thaitot is exactly correct. You will be a hazard, you will excelerate painfully slow and won't be able to get off the line quick enough. I believe a bike would be faster. A 50cc will not get you up doi suthep, a 100cc will.

As for Honda chaly's, they are 20-30 years old. You won't find one new. The closest thing you will find is the monkey. The monkey, to my knowledge, was once produced by Honda and they let it go by the wayside and a chinese company picked up production. Expect to pay 35-50k for one new, but they will be 100% legal.

I swapped out the 50cc engine on my chal for a dream 100cc and put in a piston from a cheer. I could hit 70-80km w/ my wife and do wheelies. Great little bike. For a preswapped chaly you can get one for as little as 3K, but they are very popular amoungst the Saap / Dek waan crowd so in Chiang Mai they run a bit more. A swapped chaly will run about 12K+ And then whatever else. As I said I dropped 30K into mine between the engine mods the new wheels, experimenting with different forks and multiple paint jobs.

Another choice is the Yamaha Chappy and Chippy which are basically the Chaly and Dax counter parts. The Honda Dax will run a bit more $ due to rarity.

I would also like to state that though I never had any trouble in CM w/ a totally illegal bike, I left for the US a year ago. Furthermore I always knew that if something happened (like my bike being seized) I have enough friends in places I didn't have to worry. I do not know what the current climate is right now for these bikes. To my knowledge the cops always cared about the newer bikes without plates, not some 25 year old scooter.

Ok maybe I'll opt for a 100cc. When i used to live in China I had a 50cc (and 100cc) and was ok doing 40kph, but I've never been to Chiang mai, so thanks for the advice.

If I get something 30 years old or an ugly bike, I might just ditch it at the end of my stay. Is it possible to get a 70-100cc bike for around 3-4k easily? Where's the best place to look? I just need it to be reiable and runs with out a huge cloud of smoke, oh, and the brakes need to be fully functioning.....

Ok maybe I'll opt for a 100cc. When i used to live in China I had a 50cc (and 100cc) and was ok doing 40kph, but I've never been to Chiang mai, so thanks for the advice.

If I get something 30 years old or an ugly bike, I might just ditch it at the end of my stay. Is it possible to get a 70-100cc bike for around 3-4k easily? Where's the best place to look? I just need it to be reiable and runs with out a huge cloud of smoke, oh, and the brakes need to be fully functioning.....

No, no, no. It doesn't work that way in Thailand. Once more: MAINTENANCE is cheap and that factor makes all the difference; it means that you NEVER have something that's such a piece of shit that it's only worth 3-4K, because for another 3-4K you can have mechanic work on it for two weeks straight and have it be in as mint a condition as anything.

What you CAN do is buy a bike in reasonable condition and then sell it again for 3-4K less than what you paid fot it. (Or the same as what you paid for it if you have the patience, but if not then it's an easy sell for 3-4K less.) Plus you'll have less headaches with a bike in reasonable condition. Also no need to transfer ownership, you just make sure you get all the papers and signed ownership transfer documents along with a signed ID card copy of the 'owner', then with that you can easily sell it again.

Exactly right Winnie.

Expect to pay a minimum of 8k and expect to get something that is NOT a Honda, Ie a suzuki. At least 12k for a 10 year old honda dream (it will run for another 20).

If you know Thais who can help you, you may be able to buy a dream for 8K or less and then sell it for that or more. Sometimes there are Farang selling bikes at the Thai price in classifieds, most however know that they can get a higher price selling it to other Farang.

Look, you can rent a newer bike for 4k a month. But if it gets stolen (some places set up theft scams, Ie their employees steal them) you sign a contract to pay like 50k baht. Sometimes this is 3x the real cost of the bike. Or you can just come here expecting to drop $400-500 USD on a bike and be able to recoup about 300-400 when you leave.

I would be willing to help you, but I now live in the US. Good luck, don't sweat it, it's easier once you get there.