How Do You Get To Stardome Golf Course And Driving Range?

DavidAttenborough

Trying to find Stardome today, on google maps it looks like you have to leave the moat at Suthep Road and then turn left at Sirorot Road and you'll end up right in the middle of the course, but I tried this and ended up at several dead ends with no sign of a golf course anywhere. I also kept my eye out for signs but didn't see any. Can someone tell me how to get there?

Also does anyone know if you can rent clubs there just for use in the driving range? Or failing that where could I buy a cheap (<3000baht) set of clubs?

Thanks in advance

If you are coming from the airport towards Suandok gate, you take a left down a small soi (near the corner of the moat).

you can rent clubs there - about 300 Baht for a whole set, or 70 Baht for a driver (I think). there are two prices for renting the balls, cheaper for the older balls.

Heading towards the moat from Airport Plaza on Mahidol Road you turn left just before the road joins the moat circular road. There is an orange sign over the turning and it is just after the AIA insurance offices. Not sure if they rent clubs for the driving range.

Cheaper second hand clubs are sold at the golf shop on Mahidol Road. As you cross the river heading towards Airport Plaza there is a left turn to the river, pass this then take the next left turning and there is a golf shop on the left.

Iain

That's a good one. To quote Wikipedia ..

'It is often suggested that David Attenborough's 50-year career at the BBC making natural history documentaries and travelling extensively throughout the world has probably made him the most travelled person on Earth.'

But he can't find a golf course in the middle of chiang Mai!! :)

Not easy to find the first time but a very nice course. Surprising how many people in Chiang Mai for years do not know it is there!

Played there yesterday, somewhat of a disaster as for the third time in as many months the "starter" made an awful cock up. Three of us started on the 1st tee at 6.30am to avoid hold ups. :)

As we got to the turn to come to number 2 we saw 6 golf carts at the first tee, commented to each other that it was a good job that we got out first!

Well- as we came to the third tee for some inexplicable reason the starter had allowed the six to start at that hole and they were still only just at the green.

There is more but it is much of the same, a round of golf at a nice course spoiled by an incompetent starter, but as I said not the first time. It took so long that my guests, who were from overseas, had to pack up 4 holes short of completing the course as they had a meeting and were of course not impressed- nor was I.

The starter basically ignored my protestations although I did leave a complaint with the office which I expect will fall on deaf ears- another whinging farang. :D

If you are not a golfer you may not understand but simply there is nothing worse than very slow play ahead of you.

Rant over. Thank you for your patience. :D

Heading towards the moat from Airport Plaza on Mahidol Road you turn left just before the road joins the moat circular road. There is an orange sign over the turning and it is just after the AIA insurance offices. Not sure if they rent clubs for the driving range.

Cheaper second hand clubs are sold at the golf shop on Mahidol Road. As you cross the river heading towards Airport Plaza there is a left turn to the river, pass this then take the next left turning and there is a golf shop on the left.

Iain

looked today, should be the second turning on the left. yellow shop.

Iain

Played there yesterday, somewhat of a disaster as for the third time in as many months the "starter" made an awful cock up. Three of us started on the 1st tee at 6.30am to avoid hold ups. :)

As we got to the turn to come to number 2 we saw 6 golf carts at the first tee, commented to each other that it was a good job that we got out first!

Well- as we came to the third tee for some inexplicable reason the starter had allowed the six to start at that hole and they were still only just at the green.

There is more but it is much of the same, a round of golf at a nice course spoiled by an incompetent starter, but as I said not the first time. It took so long that my guests, who were from overseas, had to pack up 4 holes short of completing the course as they had a meeting and were of course not impressed- nor was I.

The starter basically ignored my protestations although I did leave a complaint with the office which I expect will fall on deaf ears- another whinging farang. :D

If you are not a golfer you may not understand but simply there is nothing worse than very slow play ahead of you.

Common problem here as you know already! You could have cut back round and started at the 1st again to give you some distance between you and the 6 ball.

Have to agree though, starters here are a joke. The worst courses in my experience are Highlands and Royal. At Highlands if you're farang then you'll have the lowest priority and the course management there is another joke, they will not help and couldn't care less. We won't being going back there.

In my experience the the courses where you have the least problems with starters etc are Mae Jo and Lanna.

Common problem here as you know already! You could have cut back round and started at the 1st again to give you some distance between you and the 6 ball.

Have to agree though, starters here are a joke. The worst courses in my experience are Highlands and Royal. At Highlands if you're farang then you'll have the lowest priority and the course management there is another joke, they will not help and couldn't care less. We won't being going back there.

In my experience the the courses where you have the least problems with starters etc are Mae Jo and Lanna.

No could not have done that as the starter had already started a four:P And yes, thre does not seem to be an efficiently run course anywhere in Chiang Mai- the "starters" are a name only and seem to have little idea of the potential problems facing golfers by their incompetent actions.

Cheap though. :D

Late reply as I have just come back from China where along with eating and shopping I played the Olazabal course at Mission Hills- awesome- and of course the ultimate in management and efficiency.