Passport Get Hold By Embassy

Dear member of thaivisa,

I have been reading and follow this board quite a time. I now need some help and some suggestion from you guys.

1. My husband passport had 2 pages left.

2. his visa run was expired on 27Nov. which at the first time we plan to go to Laos for re-entry

on 25Nov he went to U.S. Embassy to add pages. Turn out the embassy said he wouldnt be able to get it done on that day and told my husband to come back for it later. Friday embassy close as last friday of the month. Everyday we called to ask if it "might" be confiscated or whatsoever? but the only answer is

"we dont know yet" or "we cant tell you yet"

I did went through with my husband if he had any situation which might be a problem (as I read the treat in many site of what could be the reason)

we did talk but we are guilty of none

It has been 10 days now since 25Nov. It has been 8 days of overstay now (which I hate to thing about as it cost me everyday lol).

I got a question if it possible:

1. my husband passport is not e-passport. Is it possible the embassy trying to issue e-passport? if so how long would that take?

2. If there was nothing wrong, would it be possible to ask embassy to issue any kind of paper saying about overstay?

That much I need to know and thank you for all the answer and suggestion from everyone.

in case if it is the problem.. I guess I have to wait for them to tell us what is the problem then I can go on to next step :) but so far I dont recall anything.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've added pages to our passports a number of times at the US Embassy in Bangkok and it has always been completed on the same day (with appointment - in about 1 hr). We believe the US Embassy do check on their database using your Passport number, Social Security, or Full Name for anyone whose been put on a the list (for suspicious activities) by dept. of Homeland Security. This has created a lot of headaces for those indivuals whose name was put on the list by mistake or just there because someone else has the same First and Last Name as your husband's. So don't worry too much they're probably doing a little bit more background investigation to make sure your husband is not the person they're looking for.

Same thing happened to me but in the Los Angeles Federal Building on Wilshire blvd. I was told my passport would be ready in 4 days, but after two week I had to go down there. At first they asked to talk to a Homeland Security supervisor, then they said it's not necessary. After a few more days they gave me a new passport.

About E-passport: I'm not sure what you mean when you said that your husband's passport is not an E-Passport? What does an E-Passport look like? When you want to add pages - they Embassy will only add new pages to your old passport - unless you request for a new passport. Then it will take about 2 weeks - as (I believe) all US passports are issued in the States.

My partner and I applied for a new passport early this year from the US Embassy in Bangkok. We made appointment online and submitted our applications along with 2 photos and $75.00 fee (?) for each passport. 2 weeks later they e-mailed us to pick up the new passports.

One common problem in such instances is unpaid child support.

If your husband was previously married, and owed child support that wasn't paid, the Embassy is required by U.S. law to confiscate the passport.

If that is not the case here, guess I really don't know what it might be.

However, since he is in overstay now, did you clearly explain this to the people at the American Services Section interview window? If they keep replying "I don't know what has happened to the passport," you should further ask them how they are going to assist with Thai Immigration about the overstay.

Mac

This is what I would do if I were your husband:

1. Immediately go to the local police station and report the passport lost. Lost how? Gave it to the US consulate to have pages added and on the telephone they said they don’t have it any more.

2. Send a registered letter to the consul to ask him why the passport is not being returned. The passport is far to important a document to deal with its unexplained disappearance only verbally. Anything they say on the telephone they can later deny.

--

Maestro

An E Passsport has a computer chip embedded in the rear cover with bio data. It is what the computer chip symbol below United States of American indicates. All issued by the US for last several years have this chip. Not having a chip is not a reason to not add pages or hold passport.

thank you very much for all the answer :) I'll let him read all yours suggestion.

we did told the American Services Section interview window that our visa is expired. She said the same thing that

"she have no idea"

The problem I am not sure yet if it comes I'll just have to figure it out or fix it.

The problem I am worried right now is he doesnt have a passport and If anything happens..get caught by police or anything bla bla... then it could be a mess

I would appreaciate embassy if they at least tell me how long would it be holding for investigate or whatsoever..then at least I know I am looking for the day.

An E Passsport has a computer chip embedded in the rear cover with bio data. It is what the computer chip symbol below United States of American indicates. All issued by the US for last several years have this chip. Not having a chip is not a reason to not add pages or hold passport.

Yes - I just checked my new passport it says something about it being an e-passport - so it must have the computer chip somewhere :-). But again if you want to add new pages, regardless you have an e-passport or not - the process should only take 1 hour and it's free of charge.

...The problem I am worried right now is he doesnt have a passport and If anything happens..get caught by police or anything bla bla... then it could be a mess...

This is the reason why your husband should report the passport as lost to the police. He will get a copy of the police report and with this report he will have no problem if he gets stopped and checked.

I would appreaciate embassy if they at least tell me how long would it be holding for investigate or whatsoever..then at least I know I am looking for the day...

This is why your husband should write a registered letter to the consul and he should, of course, keep a copy of his letter. Once the consul gets something in writing he will have to answer in writing or suffer the consequences for any dereliction of duty his consulate may be found guilty of at a later stage. Any information he gets verbally, he should immediately confirm to the consulate in writing, for the record.

--

Maestro

The passport is not lost and a police report would be a serious mistake in my opinion (as in a false report). The passport belongs to the US Government and they have every right to hold it. If he has a police problem all he needs to do is inform them it is at the Embassy and the police will contact them.

Please do not report the Passport is lost when it is not - the consequences can be very serious!!

US Passports belong to the US Govt. not the indidual whose name is on that passport - so YES the US GOVT. can take it back and keep it forever if they want to - no explanation is necessary.

The girl at the counter probably told you the truth i.e: she doesn't know - as a different department within the US Embassy is in charge of doing the investigation. Better to call the right person at the Embassy and find out if they can give you some answers.

I was thinking that it might be possible that embassy trying to change my husband passport to e-passport so that might take longer..

If the consulate were refusing to add pages and instead wanted to issue a new passport, surely they would have told this to your husband, or to you if you are handling this on his behalf for whatever reason.

--

Maestro

thanks to everybody and all answer. I was just being worried a lot.

I'll keep updating until he get passport back, all information I could share so that it could be helpful to anybody if ever get into situation like me.

p.s. i'll lock him in the house till we get passport back !! lol :)

I was thinking that it might be possible that embassy trying to change my husband passport to e-passport so that might take longer ...

The standard procedure in such case is that the consulate lets you keep your old passport in your possession until the new passport is picked up, at which time the old passport is annulled and the new passport handed over, together with the old, cancelled passport.

--

Maestro

I was thinking that it might be possible that embassy trying to change my husband passport to e-passport so that might take longer ...

The standard procedure in such case is that the consulate lets you keep your old passport in your possession until the new passport is picked up, at which time the old passport is annulled and the new passport handed over, together with the old, cancelled passport.

--

Maestro

Are they forcing people to change to epassports if you just come in for extra pages on a non-epassport? This would be a hassle due to the need to transfer visas.

Edited by Jingthing

The passport is not lost and a police report would be a serious mistake in my opinion (as in a false report). The passport belongs to the US Government and they have every right to hold it. If he has a police problem all he needs to do is inform them it is at the Embassy and the police will contact them.

I was always under the impression that if a consulate had cause to confiscate a passport it would not leave the citizen stranded in a foreign country without a valid document but at the very least issue him a temporary passport valid for a limited period for one return journey to his country.

A consular official telling a citizen “I don’t know” when asked when he will get his passport back is, to me, equivalent to saying that the passport has been lost. For the citizen, at least, it is exactly the same, the passport is lost to him, it is not in his possession and he has no idea if he will ever regain possession of it.

--

Maestro

Are they forcing people to change to epassports if you just come in for extra pages on a non-epassport? This would be a hassle due to the need to transfer visas.

I don't think so - If you only want extra pages - that's what you're going to get EXTRA PAGES. You will have to request for a new passport to get a new one!!

It is, is all likelihood, being held due to an investigation - when that is complete he will either get his passport with an apology or be informed of legal actions and what is required. He will be provided travel documents to return to the US if there are legal issues he must address.

And in the meantime your husband should feel free to seek refuge at the US consulate, at the US taxpayers’ expense, until either the old passport is given back or a new travel document is issued to him, or as an alternative a written statement from the consulate that his passport is at the US consulate for processing.

--

Maestro

i'll get in and will let all of you know :) hehehehe

but seriously you should ask your husband if he has any outstanding warrant, or defaulted on paying child support, or owes the Govt. back taxes - these are serious charges that he must resolve back in the States. Another posibility is that he gets into the Homeland Security database either by mistake or for real.

thank you I'll ask him about it :)

In the meantime, he should perhaps hold back that police report about lost passport, but I still believe he deserves an answer, in writing, about the delay in getting his passport back and should write that registered letter to the consul. It’s just “not cricket” to hold a man’s passport without giving a reason, and giving it in writing. And remember to confirm to the consulate in writing any information your husband or you are given verbally, even if it is only to confirm an "I don't know" he or you are given on the telephone. Ask for the name of the consular official who speaks to you and mention it in your written confirmation. My experience is not with the US but the Swiss consulate, but regardless of the country it is important to confirm verbal communications in writing when it regards an important matter. For reasons of confidentiality the consulate may not be able to tell you certain details about your husband, for which reason he should talk to consulate and do the written confirmation.

--

Maestro