Tuk-tuk Stand Off In Karon

markg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the tuk tuks want call themselves taxis they should have meters in them, when we were in Bangkok recently we used metered taxis every day and they were a lot cheaper than the tuk tuks here.

Very true Peter. If Tuk Tuk prices were more realistic for the tourists (compared with Bangkok meter taxis) then more people (including locals) would use the taxis more often. But Bangkok is not immune to scams. Last month we were in Bangkok and wanted a taxi back to the airport (Don Muang). Asked a few meter taxis parked near the hotel to take us to airport on meter. oh no, all wanted 500 baht plus a good tip was expected !! I eventually flagged down a cab passing by, and the meter charge was 145 baht to Don Muang, plus the toll charge of 85 baht. Gave the driver 300 baht and he was delighted with the 70 baht tip.

Hi

Yes,,, in about 4 weeks time, PG dont have any "new" news

PG story Here

Hi

Yes they have now,,, still days after all others, why?? can’t understand they mostly have old news i know it’s off topic but it’s still news what’s going on about the tuk tuk war, like any other news you can read it a few days before PG on another web site about news in Phuket

I stayed in Phuket for the first and last time last December at the Centara Karon Resort. Usually when staying on an island, I like to hop on the bus or songthaew and check out the adjacent beaches. The only way to do this was to get a bus into town and then back out. To travel directly to the next beach you had to use a tuk tuk and they all wanted 400 baht. The hotal ran a van to the next beach which was considerably cheaper (can't remember exact price), but you had to come back by tuk tuk (even though their van is making the return trip). The receptionist warned me that this could cost up to 500 baht. She said they had tried running a van service themselves, but the van was stoppped, the driver dragged out and severely beaten and the police would do nothing.

I stayed in Phuket for the first and last time last December at the Centara Karon Resort. Usually when staying on an island, I like to hop on the bus or songthaew and check out the adjacent beaches. The only way to do this was to get a bus into town and then back out. To travel directly to the next beach you had to use a tuk tuk and they all wanted 400 baht. The hotal ran a van to the next beach which was considerably cheaper (can't remember exact price), but you had to come back by tuk tuk (even though their van is making the return trip). The receptionist warned me that this could cost up to 500 baht. She said they had tried running a van service themselves, but the van was stoppped, the driver dragged out and severely beaten and the police would do nothing.

In the example outlined above, specifically, a hotel running its guests to the beach, you can kinda see that the tuk-tuk drivers have a point. Kinda.

There is a hotel in Cape Panwa which has no beach access, so provides a van service to guests to get to the beach. This i think is fine. But if the Centara in Karon is actualy running guests around the place when there is a perfectly good beach within walking distance then that is taking the pee a little. The tuk tuk drivers may have a point on this.

Still, no excuse for assaulting the driver of the bus - a fellow Thai national to boot. That's disgraceful.

In the example outlined above, specifically, a hotel running its guests to the beach, you can kinda see that the tuk-tuk drivers have a point. Kinda.

There is a hotel in Cape Panwa which has no beach access, so provides a van service to guests to get to the beach. This i think is fine. But if the Centara in Karon is actualy running guests around the place when there is a perfectly good beach within walking distance then that is taking the pee a little. The tuk tuk drivers may have a point on this.

Still, no excuse for assaulting the driver of the bus - a fellow Thai national to boot. That's disgraceful.

How can you see they have a point.. They only have a point if you think they have some god given right to the transportation business.

In a free market competition drives service, take away the competition and you end up with 500 baht costs to go a few kms in a open air noddy van.

Are you joking??? Tuk Tuk have a point??? So, if tuk tuk mafia start to run a restaurant...the tourist must go to the tuk tuk restaurant????? Or pay a fee to the tuk tuk mafia restaurant if they (tourist) want to go in another restaurant??

Please, take another beer....

I travel abroad regularly and I always get hotel transport to and from the airport. There are three reasons for this, one I don't have to wait in a taxi queue following long flights, The service is cheap if not free and very reliable. The last and most important is the safety factor. There has never been any problems with the local taxis in all cases.

The Tuk tuk;s drive like maniacs and can be aggressive they should not be patronised. I have mentioned before that when ever I go to Phuket I hire a car at around 900 Baht a day it's a steal.

Cheers, Rick

I travel abroad regularly and I always get hotel transport to and from the airport. There are three reasons for this, one I don't have to wait in a taxi queue following long flights, The service is cheap if not free and very reliable. The last and most important is the safety factor. There has never been any problems with the local taxis in all cases.

The Tuk tuk;s drive like maniacs and can be aggressive they should not be patronised. I have mentioned before that when ever I go to Phuket I hire a car at around 900 Baht a day it's a steal.

Cheers, Rick

Yes, 900 baht per day, you should be forced to pay Yuk-Yuk mafia 350 baht because you rent a car.

How can you see they have a point.. They only have a point if you think they have some god given right to the transportation business.

In a free market competition drives service, take away the competition and you end up with 500 baht costs to go a few kms in a open air noddy van.

I did say i 'kinda' see their point. A hotel providing a shuttle service for guests from say the airport to the hotel and back is one thing, but providing an actual 'taxi' service, whether free or not, to other beaches is quite another thing. Is the hotel's mini-bus licensed as a taxi for example? They would certainly appear to be operating as a taxi. So, yeah, if i was a taxi driver who had paid cash-money for a taxi licence, cash-money to sit on a taxi rank and all the other associated costs of a correctly licensed taxi, then yeah, i would see my arse if a hotel began ferrying its customers around Phuket.

The original thread was about companies like Siam Safari who do tours. This is not the same as ferrying customers around to different sites the customer wants to visit. I think the tuk tuk mafia have no right becoming involved in that.

I also think they have no right to become involved in violence against a legitimate bus service.

But i stand by my comments made earlier that they kinda have a genuine grievance when a hotel mini-bus is acting like a privately hired taxi cab.

That said, i still believe there are too many tuk-tuks. The numbers could be easily halved. They are a menace on the road, both when they have passengers, and when they are acting as rolling road blocks when touting for passengers. They are dangerous, have no seat belts and offer little comfort or protection for passengers.

I'd be happy if an Army tank rolled over the majority of them.

I did say i 'kinda' see their point. A hotel providing a shuttle service for guests from say the airport to the hotel and back is one thing, but providing an actual 'taxi' service, whether free or not, to other beaches is quite another thing. Is the hotel's mini-bus licensed as a taxi for example? They would certainly appear to be operating as a taxi. So, yeah, if i was a taxi driver who had paid cash-money for a taxi licence, cash-money to sit on a taxi rank and all the other associated costs of a correctly licensed taxi, then yeah, i would see my arse if a hotel began ferrying its customers around Phuket.

The original thread was about companies like Siam Safari who do tours. This is not the same as ferrying customers around to different sites the customer wants to visit. I think the tuk tuk mafia have no right becoming involved in that.

I also think they have no right to become involved in violence against a legitimate bus service.

But i stand by my comments made earlier that they kinda have a genuine grievance when a hotel mini-bus is acting like a privately hired taxi cab.

That said, i still believe there are too many tuk-tuks. The numbers could be easily halved. They are a menace on the road, both when they have passengers, and when they are acting as rolling road blocks when touting for passengers. They are dangerous, have no seat belts and offer little comfort or protection for passengers.

I'd be happy if an Army tank rolled over the majority of them.

But the hotels are not operating a taxi service. If they were they would be picking up random strangers and charging them to go hither and thither. They are offering a complementary shuttle service as part of the package they offer guests for a pleasurable stay. They probably rightly figure theyll get more repeat business if their guests arent forced to use an overpriced, unsafe tuk tuk driven by an aggressive drunk.

But the hotels are not operating a taxi service. If they were they would be picking up random strangers and charging them to go hither and thither. They are offering a complementary shuttle service as part of the package they offer guests for a pleasurable stay. They probably rightly figure theyll get more repeat business if their guests arent forced to use an overpriced, unsafe tuk tuk driven by an aggressive drunk.

It's a fine line. Very fine line. If they are offering guests a shuttle service to the airport - fair enough. If they are offering guests a service which means the guests can hire the vehicle, request to be taken anywhere on the island - for a fee, then that is pretty much what we call in the UK a 'private hire taxi'. It takes private customers hither and thither for a fee and by prior arrangment i.e booking. They dont pick up strangers off the street.

I don't know that this is the case..........someone posted that the hotel do offer this service. If that is true then i feel it's a taxi service they are offering.

But my comment would be 'so what' ?? Its a free market..

If the tuk tuks were not such an over priced and unpleasant service.. If it operated at say bangkok levels of cost, if it was priced fairly and transparently.. No one would need to find alternatives and other solutions.

The problem is the cartel has allowed them to price to such crazy levels that the job is appealing to too many people, and in turn the viscous cycle of overcharging and over population exists.

But my comment would be 'so what' ?? Its a free market..

If the tuk tuks were not such an over priced and unpleasant service.. If it operated at say bangkok levels of cost, if it was priced fairly and transparently.. No one would need to find alternatives and other solutions.

The problem is the cartel has allowed them to price to such crazy levels that the job is appealing to too many people, and in turn the viscous cycle of overcharging and over population exists.

Yes that is very true LivinLos and i completely agree, i'm just saying that a guy who bought a tuk tuk, paid his 'registration' fee, pays for his licence, pays for his space on a taxi rank, pays any other 'tea money' sundry costs etc may have a genuine greivance if another service comes along and uses the loophole of being a 'hotel shuttle vehicle' to offer what is essentially a taxi service.

We've gone off on a tangent here. I brought this up as another poster had said that the hotels were offering a 'taxi service'. The original thread is about the disgraceful behaviour of the tuk tuk drivers towards Centara, Siam Safari and Tourismo Asia.

Other news sources have reported that there is still no resolution to the original problem by the way.

Not argueing.. I think we are all for once on the same page here..

But what you mention they have to pay in kickbacks, their tuktuk rental (most rent / lease I am lead to believe.. With yellow ones being self owned ?? anyone else heard it that way), their registration fees, their licenses, etc.. I dont deny these are all costs, but dont you think that its those very costs, that then enabled them to threaten and bully with impunity, cos the kickbacks all go upstream to the same people in the police that are the guiding hand of policy decisions.

So yes they have costs, but those costs are in fact all part of the problem, part of the corruption, and part of what allows them to be above the law.

I personally witnessed when someone on beach rd had painted in white lines indicating bike parking, down past immigration.. There was a tuk tuk driver, with a pot of black paint, literally painting over the white lines, while a cop stood 20 or 30 meters away. Or the case of the farang who parked his bike at jungceylon in what was the tuktuk claimed area, who then got a lump of wood around the back of the head (ever the brave, from behind) splitting him open and blood etc, the police then arrested the farang !! This is what they pay their fees for, ultimately its all part of the corruption where money buys impunity for actions, those fees are as much part of the problem as they purchase protection from the ultimate 'mafia' those in the tight brown uniforms.

Not argueing.. I think we are all for once on the same page here..

But what you mention they have to pay in kickbacks, their tuktuk rental (most rent / lease I am lead to believe.. With yellow ones being self owned ?? anyone else heard it that way), their registration fees, their licenses, etc.. I dont deny these are all costs, but dont you think that its those very costs, that then enabled them to threaten and bully with impunity, cos the kickbacks all go upstream to the same people in the police that are the guiding hand of policy decisions.

So yes they have costs, but those costs are in fact all part of the problem, part of the corruption, and part of what allows them to be above the law.

I personally witnessed when someone on beach rd had painted in white lines indicating bike parking, down past immigration.. There was a tuk tuk driver, with a pot of black paint, literally painting over the white lines, while a cop stood 20 or 30 meters away. Or the case of the farang who parked his bike at jungceylon in what was the tuktuk claimed area, who then got a lump of wood around the back of the head (ever the brave, from behind) splitting him open and blood etc, the police then arrested the farang !! This is what they pay their fees for, ultimately its all part of the corruption where money buys impunity for actions, those fees are as much part of the problem as they purchase protection from the ultimate 'mafia' those in the tight brown uniforms.

70-90% of all Phuket tuktuks are owned by a few hotshots and rented very expensive(20-30k a month for a 200k cost new vehicle) to operators. The rest are owned by indivduals. New tuktuk lisences are not being issued, thats why they are never replaced, just getting older. Some of the privately owned tuktuks are being upgraded with new (often yellow) paint, mags, new upholsetry etc

6 months ago I parked legally my 2008 Honda Accord in Rat u tit 200 phi road. A tuktuk driver claimed it was his spot, and asked me to move, which I didnt. The tuk tuk driver scratched my cars right side with a stone while I and a policeoffiser was watching. The police offiser recommended me to not press charges and move my car.

Speaking of tuk tuk parking, it really gets me that they park in non designated tuk tuk zones taking away the few spots from the general public, while there are plenty of open "tuk tuk spots". Maybe they're from a different zone, but they should head back to wherever they are supposed to be with their whiskey waiting for them.

HI

Nobody can win over a tuk tuk, i found out tthe hard way,,, and for somebody to say they understand the tuk tuk people,,, give me a break never heard anything like it, i choose who i want to drive with, and its not a tuk tuk for sure.

Speaking of tuk tuk parking, it really gets me that they park in non designated tuk tuk zones taking away the few spots from the general public, while there are plenty of open "tuk tuk spots". Maybe they're from a different zone, but they should head back to wherever they are supposed to be with their whiskey waiting for them.

My mate and I got into a chest bumping match with a tuk tuk driver on the beach road in front of MacDonalds once. It was New Years and we were all a bit intoxicated, tuk tuk driver appeared even more so. He seemed to take incredible offense at us lighting firecrackers along the sidewalk, not close to anyone or anything. He kept getting right up in our faces saying we can't to that, that the police are coming etc. Really crazy like. My mate is like 6'4 and 250, and just pushed the guy away, then proceeded to antagonize him with some more firecrackers. :) Other Thai's started to move in so we decided it was time to leave.

A major problem with the Tuk Tuk s... is that they are so volatile and aggressive. Last Xmas we took a ride from Kata back to Patong. I explained I was not exactly sure where our hotel was but knew it was close to beach road. I assumed he had agreed to take us to the hotel for the 'normal/standard' fare which I had read was B500.

However as soon as we came round the corner and literally hit beach road in Patong he stopped. I gestured that the hotel was further along and he stated he wanted more money. So much for customer service and welcome to my country and trying to make a good impression.

We got out and had a bit of a stand off and the tuk tuk driver put his hand inside his driver side insinuating he had some some sort of weapon. Obviously it was not worth taking it any further and in the end my brother just threw the fare in the back of his vehicle and we walked off.

I will only take a tuk tuk down there if it is is the last resort which i am sure is the same for many people. I hope someone sees sense and enforces a local bus service between the beaches at a reasonable cost. Apart from the bad attitude of the drivers the cost is the biggest gripe when I can get anywhere in BKK in a proper taxi for a fraction of the cost!

Recently in BKK I asked a taxi driver for a fixed price to take me to the airport rather than waiting & trying to find a taxi willing to turn on the meter or use the hotel limo at Baht 2,000. The agreed price was 450 which we were both happy with for the ride from Sukhumbit Soi 19. When I compare sitting in an air conditioned taxi at this price for a fairly long haul to paying 500 in a noisy open air tuk tuk from Kata to Patong there is no comparison. As long as those up the line continue to receive their "commissions" nothing will change.

When I compare sitting in an air conditioned taxi at this price for a fairly long haul to paying 500 in a noisy open air tuk tuk from Kata to Patong there is no comparison. As long as those up the line continue to receive their "commissions" nothing will change.

I think it's an important point Valentine.

Tuk Tuks are not as safe or comfortable as a car - and should be priced accordingly. In Chiang Mai for example, when i was last there, tuk tuks were cheap and you saw loads of Thai people running about in them going about their lives.

In Phuket, tuk tuks are ONLY for tourists, you rarely see Thai people in them. Tourists like them because they are quirky and different. In CM, Thais like them because they are cheap.

What i draw from your comments are that tuk tuks have to be cheaper so that more people use them and make them a viable means of everyday transport.

Hands up how many people on here drive home when they've had one drink too many SOLELY because the price of getting a tuk tuk home, and then back again tomorrow to pick up your vehicle, is too high. Loads of us i m sure. As a viable means of everyday transport they are just too expensive.

Hands up how many people on here drive home when they've had one drink too many SOLELY because the price of getting a tuk tuk home, and then back again tomorrow to pick up your vehicle, is too high. Loads of us i m sure. As a viable means of everyday transport they are just too expensive.

:) <--- Closest thing I could find to a "hands-up" emoticon I could find. That's a good point. In 2001 when I first came here you could negotiate a ride from Kata to Patong for 150 baht for 3 people! We used them a lot back then. Not anymore for 300-400 baht for one person! If they were still reasonably priced I would probably use them a lot instead of having to watch my alcohol intake and driving home a little tipsy.

In 2001 when I first came here you could negotiate a ride from Kata to Patong for 150 baht for 3 people! We used them a lot back then.

Are you sure about that price ? I've been here since 1996 and I'd never heard of 150 baht taxi from Kata to Patong. Cheapest I remember was 300 baht.

:) <--- Closest thing I could find to a "hands-up" emoticon I could find. That's a good point. In 2001 when I first came here you could negotiate a ride from Kata to Patong for 150 baht for 3 people! We used them a lot back then. Not anymore for 300-400 baht for one person! If they were still reasonably priced I would probably use them a lot instead of having to watch my alcohol intake and driving home a little tipsy.

I feel safer drunk riding my Ninja, than in any tuktuk. :D:D

In 2001 when I first came here you could negotiate a ride from Kata to Patong for 150 baht for 3 people! We used them a lot back then.

Are you sure about that price ? I've been here since 1996 and I'd never heard of 150 baht taxi from Kata to Patong. Cheapest I remember was 300 baht.

I'll check with my friends and see if they rememeber better than I, but at least 200 for sure.

I'll check with my friends and see if they rememeber better than I, but at least 200 for sure.

Kata to Patong in 2001; 400 baht, perhaps your driver was the last of the dying breed of benevolent Tuk-Tuk drivers !!