Cambodia's King Pardons Thai Engineer Convicted Of Spying

webfact

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another reminder. Let's use the appropriate decorum and respect in referencing the Cambodian Monarch.

Within limits, it's open season on Hun Sen and Thaksin, however, the Cambodian Monarch was gracious enough to grant this person a pardon and to do it very expeditiously.

And who do you think made the necessary recommendation to the Cambodian monarch ? All the evidence points to an understanding between Thaksin and Hun Sen, leading to a magnanimous outcome.It's rather puzzling why you have authorised "open season" on Hun Sen and Thaksin.I agree these are not very lovable characters but not sure whether they are any worse than many of the Thai politicians that this country's saddled with.There's a sensible piece over on Bangkok Pundit on all this.

Thanks jayboy, but within the forum rules, posters are free to discuss the Hun Sen-Thaksin connection, including speculation--again, within the rules. I do take offense, and Thai law does cover, remarks against the Monarch of another country. The King of Cambodia has pardoned him. If posters want to make factual posts concerning who and how a pardon is granted in Cambodia they are welcome to do so. Idle speculation about who makes who do what is not warranted.

A number of posters have objected to it and I agree with them.

Within limits, it's open season on Hun Sen and Thaksin,

It's rather puzzling why you have authorised "open season" on Hun Sen and Thaksin.I agree these are not very lovable characters but not sure whether they are any worse than many of the Thai politicians that this country's saddled with.

I think you will find jayboy that just because Thaksin and Hun Sen were named in the "open season" comment, it doesn't follow that the many other Thai politicians to which you refer are somehow off limits. I don't believe they are.

How many other TV members predicted this would be the outcome? Guess it wasn't Mr. T to the rescue like sooooo many predicted. :D

Actually it will - he will be released to a special delegation from Thailand's opposition party. :)

ere we go again...

Cambodia- 1 LOS - Nil....will we have/see a draw? :)

Exactly what they want you to think. Now that this pre-planned farce is over, I wonder how long until Takki asks for similar treatment for his petition? Isn't that what this was all about from the beginning? The benevolent Takki and his TRT cronies will modestly take ownership of this selfless act that they have done in Cambodia, and ask whether it isn't time for Thailand to do the same with Takki's crooked petition.

I think they believe that Thailand will lose face if they don't concede to Takki's demands, but I hope Thailand can see through this. Here comes that push for a pardon and his money returned that we've been hearing about!

you have authorised "open season" on Hun Sen and Thaksin.I agree these are not very lovable characters but not sure whether they are any worse than many of the Thai politicians that this country's saddled with

Wow. A former Khmer Rouge leader who actively participated in the slaughter of those dark times and the man who authorized his own "night of the long knives" under the cover of a "war on drugs"? I agree that there are many shady characters in the current government, but I don't think they hold a candle to these two jokers.

Edited by Meridian007

How many other TV members predicted this would be the outcome? Guess it wasn't Mr. T to the rescue like sooooo many predicted. :)

That doesn't mean that T wasn't: the stragegist, the producer, the director, the stage manager, the script writer, and the financier, etc!

I will give T one thing, he's (at times) a fairly clever strategist, and he may (sic) have decided that he should not be too up front in the pardon phase. He may have realised that if he's right at the front then it would look too obvious

There's also still the possibility that he's getting lots of strategy advise from clever strategy consultants. They do exist, and they can very quickly come up with ideas that 99% of the world wouldn't dream of in 5 lifetimes.

It would be very interesting to see what you don't blame on dear old Takki

Personally, i wouldn't blame him that much : he just hasn't reached enlightenment, like me and so many of us. 'May the one who never sinned throw the first stone'.

It's just over annoying to constantly hear in the media of his slightest moves, especially when this guy who was prime minister of an important country now behaves like a street thug. My punk friends behave with more morality than he does. I've known drug adicts with more insight. And not content with having fallen victim of guileless greed and boundless corruption, causing havoc and great misery to innocent people, Taxin doesn't seem to be willing to look at himself, and improve himself the slightest bit.

So I complain when the media keep focusing on a man who became such an un-deserving character. So much focus just prevents this guy from having time to think properly about what he became. Lets wish that he will be freed from a great burden after his money gets blocked (if it is...).

This case is just hilarious!

It shows the thinking of it's inventor,

cause there is such an incredible sort of "coincidence"

involved that this could not have been just an "honest mistake"

by the Khmer Justice System as well as this incident was staged at

the time his "excellency from Dubai" was on his road trip to Tango with Hun Sen!

But it shows the blind desperateness of this man, who dares to move anything,

even get some innocent Engineer arrested,

causing much unnecessary harm and stress to completely uninvolved

people. He looks more and more like a really poor loser!

The big question, after al remains unsolved: was it all set up right from the beginning for some nice bonus?

The paralells to the mans very own pardon is just breathtaking, looks like someone is going to lose his marbles...

getting more desperate, day by day - but then who could ever again trust someone like him?

You abound with so much insider political information and intrique, you should set up your own blog to impart your wisdom to a wider audience.

Taxin doesn't seem to be willing to look at himself, and improve himself the slightest bit.

Bearing in mind that the man's name has been in the papers every day for the last x amount of years, isn't it weird that people still struggle to spell his name correctly?

Please, relax..... and remember : all those people HM ... and Mr T... are Very but VERY but VERY Good People . They made a fantastic job and are still working VERY hard VERY early in the morning to keep us confortable.

We have to be happy of what happen because we live in this so wonderfull part of the world: Land of Smileys. So can you please speak good, eat good and have a good life and also think good. Don't think too much , write GOOD things on anybody , follow the rules... Don't give Mods too much work , they have lot already. I want you happy happy . If you're happy happy then we're happy happy. Be SPECTATOR of the show, enjoy, take somme distance with it.... make what we call an Helicopter view ( Think you're in a copter and look at the problem downstairs and now take off....slowly....up to 1000 feets .... look at the problem NOW !..... Very small isn'it ?...... Show must go on, no?

Best Regards :D :D :D :D : :):D : :D :D

A post has been removed for quoting and modifying a news article. A reminder of this forum rule:

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Wow. A former Khmer Rouge leader who actively participated in the slaughter of those dark times and the man who authorized his own "night of the long knives" under the cover of a "war on drugs"? I agree that there are many shady characters in the current government, but I don't think they hold a candle to these two jokers.

A lot of Cambodians ended up in the Khmer Rouge simply to stay alive, much as the present Pope was an unwilling member of the Hitler Youth.If you have any evidence that Hun Sen "actively participated in slaughter" in that period can you supply the proof? Otherwise your accusation is baseless.

The drugs war is different and has been much debated.What's clear is that it had massive support including some very prominent elite Thais.It was I agree deplorable but if you have Thaksin in your sights be careful who else you are taking potshots at.

Please, relax..... and remember : all those people HM ... and Mr T... are Very but VERY but VERY Good People . They made a fantastic job and are still working VERY hard VERY early in the morning to keep us confortable.

We have to be happy of what happen because we live in this so wonderfull part of the world: Land of Smileys. So can you please speak good, eat good and have a good life and also think good. Don't think too much , write GOOD things on anybody , follow the rules... Don't give Mods too much work , they have lot already. I want you happy happy . If you're happy happy then we're happy happy. Be SPECTATOR of the show, enjoy, take somme distance with it.... make what we call an Helicopter view ( Think you're in a copter and look at the problem downstairs and now take off....slowly....up to 1000 feets .... look at the problem NOW !..... Very small isn'it ?...... Show must go on, no?

Best Regards :D:D:D:D : :):D : :D:D

Too many full moon parties?

Some TV members could be impolite with the Cambodian monarch (LawnGnome is not so kind) and if you accept such insulting remarks against Cambodian monarch it would be outrageous.

It would also be illegal. Lese Majeste extends to all Monarchs.

Criminal Code section 133

Whoever, defaming, insulting or threatening the Sovereign, Queen, Consort, Heir-apparent

or Head of Foreign State, shall be imprisoned as from one year to seven years or fined as

from two thousand to fourteen thousand Baht, or both

So do I understand this correctly: If an American citizen sits in a Starbucks in Bangkok and insults Barak Obama, that American could be imprisoned up to fourteen years in the Bangkok Hilton? Who writes these laws?!!

The actors in this stage play have flubbed their lines for Act III, Scene 2

They've jumped ahead and are reading the lines from Act IV, Scene 1

The pardon has been granted before it was even requested.

Duh, thats because its Cambodia, not Thailand. They practice smarter politics, at least by this example.

Oh..... oh am I wrong and youre an expert on Cambodian politics tooooooo??

In theory, yes, you could get into trouble. In practice, I doubt that it would happen.

I don't know what the prevailing attitude is towards politicians, but it would seem to be very lenient. I think the danger in crossing the line comes a little closer when referring to the Monarch of another country. It's best to steer clear of it, IMO.

Meanwhile, back to the topic of the Engineer.

A lot of Cambodians ended up in the Khmer Rouge simply to stay alive, much as the present Pope was an unwilling member of the Hitler Youth.If you have any evidence that Hun Sen "actively participated in slaughter" in that period can you supply the proof? Otherwise your accusation is baseless.

Okay. he has never been convicted, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been a part of some horrifying things, and I don't think we can prove (in either of your cases) a sense of willingness or not. (although Sen's willingness to delay or cancel prosecution of those who were directly involved may give us some indication)

By his own admission he was at least a soldier within the Khmer Rouge, he obviously saw some heavy combat as evidenced by his missing eye. The continuation of the tendencies he learned during combat became public in June of 1987 when Amnesty International spotlighted his torture and mutilation of political prisoners (they tried to stop him again in 1997). He has effectively been in power since 1985, with any who oppose him either fleeing the country or disappearing. I could go on...

But yes, you are right, I have no conviction of his crimes to back up my statements, or photographs of him with severed heads or some such. Therefore, I'm sure that he must be a gentle, loving man who would never hurt a fly.

As to Thaksin, yes, many were involved, but it was a page out of Hun Sen's book where many who opposed Thaksin were suddenly accused of being in the drug trade, with many people being executed without trial or after a pathetic excuse for a trial. He was the head of it, and therefore deserves the focus of the blame for it.

Edited by Meridian007

Update:

Thai engineer pardoned

PHNOM PENH: -- Cambodia's King Norodom Sihamoni has pardoned a Thai man who was convicted earlier this week of spying.

Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith, said Sivarak Chothipong would be released Monday.

Sivarak was arrested in mid-November after the authorities accused him of passing on flight details of Thailand's fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra to a diplomat at the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh.

"This is a humanitarian gesture," Khieu Kanharith told the German Press Agency dpa. "For us this gesture is not to please Thailand, but for humanitarian issues, and we know that the man executed the order (given) by Bangkok."

-- Deutsche Presse-Agentur 2009-12-11

There it is; the way out to save face for the Cambodians. They put responsibility on Bangkok, not the 'spy'. Cut him loose and hold a grudge with Thai govt.Works for all and a man goes home.

Well of course he did. I'm sure it happened as soon as Thaksin's "investment donation check" cleared....

I actually think most Thai people will recognize this for what it is - a farce.

I see this as a good diplomatic move by the Cambodians to cool off the whole situation. It does neither side any good to prolong the incident, whether the truth supported the charges or not. Normalized relations are to the benefit of Thai and Cambodian people alike. The Cambodian PM has had his fun, now talk some sense into him privately and push the former Thai PM out the back door.

~WISteve

This case is just hilarious!

It shows the thinking of it's inventor,

cause there is such an incredible sort of "coincidence"

involved that this could not have been just an "honest mistake"

by the Khmer Justice System as well as this incident was staged at

the time his "excellency from Dubai" was on his road trip to Tango with Hun Sen!

But it shows the blind desperateness of this man, who dares to move anything,

even get some innocent Engineer arrested,

causing much unnecessary harm and stress to completely uninvolved

people. He looks more and more like a really poor loser!

The big question, after al remains unsolved: was it all set up right from the beginning for some nice bonus?

The paralells to the mans very own pardon is just breathtaking, looks like someone is going to lose his marbles...

getting more desperate, day by day - but then who could ever again trust someone like him?

You abound with so much insider political information and intrique, you should set up your own blog to impart your wisdom to a wider audience.

This is a pretty good example of what Thai say; "Don't think too much" It does show an example of what Thai shake their heads at, concerning Farang...a over zealous, high strung imagination running amok between the ears.

'LawnGnome' date='2009-12-11 13:55:19' post='3195969''JFitzgerald' post='3195962' date='2009-12-11 13:52:30']The actors in this stage play have flubbed their lines for Act III, Scene 2

They've jumped ahead and are reading the lines from Act IV, Scene 1

The pardon has been granted before it was even requested.

Of course. The charge, the trial, the verdict, and the pardon were all known in advance. That way, the trial can be used as a tool to educate the public on the wisdom of the Cambodian government's decision....

Money from Takki Shinegra doesn't hurt the cause either.

This is all about money. Nothing else, just money.

Best be on your guard , you may be next in line for passing on secret information to unauthorised personel , you must have quite the influencial person on the 'Inside' to be aware of that tidbit . mmmmmmmmm