Has The Baht Bus Fares Gone Up?

craigrs

what is the rightful fare from

1, Second police station in Jomtien, to village market, Mikes ect..

2, Past the lines of baht busses at school to second police station on beach road jomtien

10 baht

1. Wrong: 15 baht. See Posts above with the official baht bus price list issued in January 2009.

2. Wrong: 15 baht. (Unless you use designated baht buses that queue and do the trip for 10 baht)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all made my point. As there exists no general agreement or understanding about the fares, this is a grey area. I agree from the Pattaya Tai queue to inner Jomtien, we can definitely say the correct fare is 10 baht. It may also be 10 baht to Chayaphreuk but many drivers see it differently. This isn't always a country of absolutes. You have to feel things out. This is of course why tourists are such easy marks.

Pattaya Baht buses. Always a good one.

I want to know what happened to the 30 Baht air conditioned bus,

which was running a few years ago.

The red bus stops are still there.

I heard that the driver received a visit from the Baht bus mafia

and decided to quit his job.

After all Bangkok has a mix of public transport of all sorts without a problem.

Let us hope that one day Pattaya has the same.

There is plenty of work far all.

Always paid 10bht either way to Jomtien. Don't think its changed - just caught a greedy driver. :) (hand the 10bht - walk away)

Another point of agreement, but some of them are really mad, and do things like hold onto your arm while they drive off, so be careful out there.

Never had a problem - act confident and sure of yourself - the drivers do not mess with you. I only witnessed issues with patrons who stick around and decide to argue with them.

I am quite confident and have had my arm held onto two times. I never talk to the drivers and rarely even look into their face. Really, some are very mad indeed. You never know who it will be.

The fare for all rich farangs should be set at Bt 500 which would make all the very poor bus drivers soooo happy and give the sort of personal and welcoming service that all of the obviously hoi poloi Pattaya fs indidgs would expect.

and that would have the advantage of getting rid of those nasty nasty Ke-Noks....

Thai airways fares are also far Toooooo Cheap. :)

I still see the red "Beach Buses" now and again. Saw one a few days ago on Thappraya Road. But, I so rarely see them, I don't even consider waiting curbside for one to show up.

I still see the red "Beach Buses" now and again. Saw one a few days ago on Thappraya Road. But, I so rarely see them, I don't even consider waiting curbside for one to show up.

There are about five a day, but nobody bothers with them unless they join the bus at the terminus. Who would wait for one when baht bus go past every few minutes?

Re the pathetic Bus "Service" - am I right in thinking the Baht Bus Mafia owns them as well as the "metered" taxis, or does the City Hall mafia (who owe allegiance to the Baht Bus Mafia) own the buses?

The red buses are not owned by the baht bus collective. Just the baht buses and the fake taxi meters.

There are about five a day, but nobody bothers with them unless they join the bus at the terminus. Who would wait for one when baht bus go past every few minutes?

Where is the terminus?

For that matter, what is the route? Is there a map someplace? Or, a schedule even, for the 5x daily runs?

sorry a bit OT

but i have a BURNING question

that will change my life

as i now know it

could someone please answer:

where do MOST baht buses going north on Soi Buckhaw USUALLY end up?

-do most go north on second road?

to nakula?

-turn left on pat klang and then left down beach road?

-turn right on pat klang and head to suk? (had that happen once)

have i been wasting my time walking to 2nd rd to go north to dolphin?

can i hop on at buckaw (boi caow) and end up at dolphin?

thanks for changing my life :)

Edited by deejah

Yep, it's 10 Baht unless you go far as Central on 2nd. There really should be clear signs

on these buses saying exactly that.

One thing I still sometimes see is when I give 20 Baht they wait to see if I want

change - and when I don't move they give it. Darn, he's not another dumb tourist!

It's interesting to note that on select streets in Bangkok they have these baht buses too and

the fare is 5 baht for short destinations. So in my view, 10 Baht is more than fair.

sorry a bit OT

but i have a BURNING question

that will change my life

as i now know it

could someone please answer:

where do MOST baht buses going north on Soi Buckhaw USUALLY end up?

-do most go north on second road?

to nakula?

-turn left on pat klang and then left down beach road?

-turn right on pat klang and head to suk? (had that happen once)

have i been wasting my time walking to 2nd rd to go north to dolphin?

can i hop on at buckaw (boi caow) and end up at dolphin?

thanks for changing my life :)

The vast majority go to Second Road and Big C, then upto Dolphin.

Some might go straight across to Beach Road if the baht bus is empty or you are the only passenger.

Less than 5% turn right and go to Carrefour and Sukhumvit.

Do what I do. If I want to go north to Big C, Dolphin. Stop a FULL baht bus on Soi Buckhaw and ask 'Big C'?? Then you will be O.K. if that is where you want to go.

foreigners who refuse to pay a 20 Baht fare for any distance in Pattaya should in my [not so] humble view be declared personae non grata and expelled from Thailand. reading all these unproductive arguments from (literally translated) "birdshit farangs" such as "should be 8 Baht, should be 10 Baht, should be not more than..." makes me feel ashamed :)

foreigners who refuse to pay a 20 Baht fare for any distance in Pattaya should in my [not so] humble view be declared personae non grata and expelled from Thailand. reading all these unproductive arguments from (literally translated) "birdshit farangs" such as "should be 8 Baht, should be 10 Baht, should be not more than..." makes me feel ashamed :)

Your post is a flame. We are trying to pay the correct fare in a fluid vague system (deliberately so) run by a mafia. At 7-11, the beer says 50 baht, we pay 50 baht. If it is 200 baht in a bar, we pay 200 baht. The baht bus fares are gray areas and it is downright stupid to pay more than is required for any service or product. If you want to TIP, that is your bizness. I don't know about you, but I was raised not to be a patsy and a sucker.

Edited by Jingthing

Your post is a flame. We are trying to pay the correct fare in a fluid vague system (deliberately so) run by a mafia. At 7-11, the beer says 50 baht, we pay 50 baht. If it is 200 baht in a bar, we pay 200 baht. The baht bus fares are gray areas and it is downright stupid to pay more than is required for any service or product. If you want to TIP, that is your bizness. I don't know about you, but I was raised not to be a patsy and a sucker.

Just turned out that way?

Wrong forum.

I was referring to this definition of the word sucker:

One who is easily deceived; a dupe

Edited by Jingthing

Wrong forum.

I was referring to this definition of the word sucker:

One who is easily deceived; a dupe

Yeah, we know. It was on the tip of your tongue

• 2 weeks later...
Grab my arm and they might be seeing the other one. :)

I am sure you talk a good macho game but when they hit the gas, you are lucky to remove your arm before they break your arm, dear.

A Martial Art Technique for you.

When they grab your arm like this. Remember Out Through The Gate. The Gate is the perps thumb. If necessary rotate your arm so that your are apposing his thumb, not all his fingers. You will find no problem in escaping if he drives away.

it's not a flame but my personal view which i air and repeat whenever i please (unless i violate forum rules and moderators stop me from doing so). "trying to pay the correct fare in a fluid vague system"... my àss! some ignorants who bitch about the "mafia" seem to forget that fuel was 7.50 Baht a liter TWENTY years ago (how much is fuel now for the mafioso's car or a bowl of rice now for the mafioso's children?) whereas the asked and "fluid" fares have hardly changed.

people like you do not only make me feel ashamed in front of the citizens in the country in which i am a guest. people like you and their arguments give me a sick feeling! :D