Law And Rules For Police

nowork114

Although I have been in Thailand for some time and had no problems with police (have never been stopped on checkpoint or asked for "tea money") I would like to know the laws regarding police stopping motorists, motorcycles and trucks on the streets. Can they retain your driver license and if you get fine do you have to pay at the issuing police station? I know how it works from our company messengers and pickup drivers, but I would like to know the "law" side ... any expat lawyer who has insight in this?

Cant help you with the law, but I read many negative posts regarding police and Tea money.

I have been stopped many times in and around Udon / Nong Khai for spot checks licence checks etc, and can say that on every occasion without exception, the police have been polite and courteous, checked my documents or breath whatever the case and sent me on my way without asking for nor extracting a single Baht from me.

I am always polite to them, I wear a helmet, dont drink and drive and have a current Thai licence, maybe it helps I dont know.

Yes, if you chose not to pay the "tea money" or if none is asked for (which happens more than you might think), they police will retain your license and you will have to report to the local police office to pay your fine and return your license. They also "staple" the license which puts some nice holes in it. Not sure if that is their way of assessing demerit points or what.

Another note. You do not have to pick up the license in person. My wife went down, paid the fine and got it back for me once, and on another occasion (the only other occasion) my sister in law did it.