Ubc Waste Of Money?

whistleblower

it represents excellent value for money for the football alone.

:) Wait for their coverage of the World Cup - remember 2006?

Can you elaborate please? I was in the UK for 2006 World Cup, and I'm planning on buying a large LCD tv for next years competition. Perhaps I'd be better off buying an air ticket!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you elaborate please? I was in the UK for 2006 World Cup, and I'm planning on buying a large LCD tv for next years competition. Perhaps I'd be better off buying an air ticket!

If I remember rightly I don't think UBC/True visions showed the last world cup in 2006 and think it will be the same next year, I heared somewhere that the Thai terrestrial channels will be showing next years world cup obviously with Thai commentary. Luckily I have access to the south African sports channels super sport which show all the games with English commentary, I don't think this is available nationwide though.

If I remember rightly I don't think UBC/True visions showed the last world cup in 2006 and think it will be the same next year, I heared somewhere that the Thai terrestrial channels will be showing next years world cup obviously with Thai commentary. Luckily I have access to the south African sports channels super sport which show all the games with English commentary, I don't think this is available nationwide though.

UBC did broadcast the 2006 world cup only on Thai channels because the government mandated to UBC and Super Sports is available nation wide and will be showing the next world cup in English.

I've had UBC/True for the last 9 or so years. I have the platinum package and to me it represents excellent value for money for the football alone.

Yes, about 500 baht per game is certainly good value IMO, especially when you talk to friends in the UK who couldn't see the game :)

Ubc's contract with the premier league finishes at the end of the current season, i wonder what plans they have for the next season :D

If I remember rightly the last World Cup was on Thai TV and not Truevisions (hence the Thai language commentary). I think Truevisions have spent enough money buying the Premier League and FA Cup, so it's rather unreasonable to expect them to shell out for the World Cup too.

I have True Platinum and while there are some annoyances (censorship, losing BBC Entertainment) I am happy with with I get - especially EPL, NFL, History/Nat. Geographic/Discovery, Star World (Seinfeld, Letterman, Simpsons, Friends), CNN/BBC, movies.

Some people just like to moan. True is fine.

If I remember rightly the last World Cup was on Thai TV and not Truevisions (hence the Thai language commentary). I think Truevisions have spent enough money buying the Premier League and FA Cup, so it's rather unreasonable to expect them to shell out for the World Cup too.

You do remember correctly, the last World Cup was only on Thai TV, but i don't think the reason for that or the reason why the next World Cup will only be on Thai TV is not because of money but because the biggest sporting event in the world should be available for all to see, not just the privileged few with satellite. That's why i have no problem with it, although i do wish that the Thai TV stations would broadcast with two audios, one for Thai commentary, one for English. It's not looking good though, when you consider the Champions League which has recently switched from True Visions to Thai TV has no English commentary.

You do remember correctly, the last World Cup was only on Thai TV, but i don't think the reason for that or the reason why the next World Cup will only be on Thai TV is not because of money but because the biggest sporting event in the world should be available for all to see, not just the privileged few with satellite. That's why i have no problem with it, although i do wish that the Thai TV stations would broadcast with two audios, one for Thai commentary, one for English. It's not looking good though, when you consider the Champions League which has recently switched from True Visions to Thai TV has no English commentary.

I agreethat the World Cup should be all viewers and therefore Thai TV is the best place for it, but like you, I wish they could provide an English language audio/commentary. Some of the bars will take their feed from South African cable which will make shared viewing more fun. At least Thai Tv have agreed not to break away for adverts mid-play and hopefully they'll abandon the split screen advertising during play as well.

Can't believe that some are criticising True for not showing F1?? Not only is F1 available (Star Sports) but so is baseball, NBA, NFL and College Football, ice hockey, as much golf and tennis as you could possibly want, rugby (well, 6 Nations & world cup) plus plenty of more obscure sports. Not much cricket though :)

Pointless buying it as Thailand won't be broadcasting in High Definition.

Good for Blu-ray, XBox360, PS3 or h.264 though. :)

In 2006 the coverage was pathetic, it was on terrestrial TV so no alternative English commentary unless you paid hundreds of thousands of Baht for the privilege (a complete rip-off considering all the international football feeds broadcast in Thailand have English commentary tracks by default) and they promised to screen every minute of football live (they were trumpeting this at ever opportunity), a promise they broke on a number of occasions, most memorably during an England game when every terrestrial channel switched to an honorary boat parade on the Chao Phraya.

Don't expect it to be better this year, their last attempt severely impaired my ability to enjoy the event.

Edited by Oberkommando

I agree with everyone else, UBC is a complete waste of money - but what's the alternative.

Last night I watched the History channel, how some of the shows; they present, can be dressed-up as relating to history is completely beyond me. Also annoying, i sthe number of advertisements they splice into their programs. It seems they break into progarms every five minutes in order to broadcast as many commercials as possible !!!

Roderick

Pointless buying it as Thailand won't be broadcasting in High Definition.

Good for Blu-ray, XBox360, PS3 or h.264 though. :)

In 2006 the coverage was pathetic, it was on terrestrial TV so no alternative English commentary unless you paid hundreds of thousands of Baht for the privilege (a complete rip-off considering all the international football feeds broadcast in Thailand have English commentary tracks by default) and they promised to screen every minute of football live (they were trumpeting this at ever opportunity), a promise they broke on a number of occasions, most memorably during an England game when every terrestrial channel switched to an honorary boat parade on the Chao Phraya.

Don't expect it to be better this year, their last attempt severely impaired my ability to enjoy the event.

I've had UBC/True for the last 9 or so years. I have the platinum package and to me it represents excellent value for money for the football alone.
Obviously of English or European descent and very easily pleased. There is a wider audience in case you haven't noticed.

Of course there is a wider audience but I wasn't posting on their behalf, I was merely stating my opinion (that's why I said ' to me it represents excellent value for money').

I'd happily pay the price of the platinum package just to be able to get every single premier league game live but there's still plenty of other channels that I enjoy watching too.

If it didn't represent good value for me, I wouldn't keep paying it. Quite simple really.

I agree with everyone else, UBC is a complete waste of money - but what's the alternative.

Last night I watched the History channel, how some of the shows; they present, can be dressed-up as relating to history is completely beyond me. Also annoying, i sthe number of advertisements they splice into their programs. It seems they break into progarms every five minutes in order to broadcast as many commercials as possible !!!

Roderick

Are you reading the posts? A number have posters have said they think Truevisions is worth having, myself included. I think we should be grateful that we have English language TV at all. If you don't like it there are plenty of alternatives available on the internet.

How can you blame True for the History Channel's content?? Interruptions for commercials are annoying the world over (even the BBC's "promotions" annoy me back home) but True's are no worse than anywhere else.

I think some people just like to moan :)

UBC did broadcast the 2006 world cup only on Thai channels because the government mandated to UBC and Super Sports is available nation wide and will be showing the next world cup in English.

Thailand broadcasting rights for 2006 world cup were granted to Dho Spaak and the programming was shown on Thai channels with the usual Thai language commentary (oho ooh, aah, mae, yiam etc). Wonder where Dho Spaak is now? :)

Thailand broadcasting rights for 2006 world cup were granted to Dho Spaak and the programming was shown on Thai channels with the usual Thai language commentary (oho ooh, aah, mae, yiam etc). Wonder where Dho Spaak is now? :)

In Chiang mai the cable company WETV will have the world cup shown with English commentary on the south African super sport channels.

• 2 weeks later...
I have noticed over the last two years a steady trend towards only showing anything new / good as far as movies is concerned only the the plat movie channels.

The Star / HBO channels in the Gold Package are rubbish and I could not tell you the last time I watched a movie on either of these.

Don't worry though, we have American and Asia's Fattest Losers on all day and night for your viewing enjoyment.

THERES a guy in Chiangmai who can install a satellite dish for around 7000 baht and you can get all of HBO many American channels cinemax, mgm and many more to speak of for about 350 baht a month

Get a Sling Box. watch your home sattilite or cable here in Thailand.

Sorry for not knowing, What is a slingbox and is it legal?

Thank you

Cheers :)

Yes its legal, amigo. Its a piece of hardware that would be with your host abroad. You need a person to host you in the US, UK, etc. They hook it up to their cable system and you can record programs on your dedicated DVR (a separate piece of hardware usually rented from the cable company) which is also located with your host person. Then you install the Slingbox software in Thailand and you're good to go, streaming your programs whenever you like, or watch live. It won't work with dialup though!

http://www.slingbox.com/

The higher end Slingboxes also support hooking up a DVD player. With that, you can get a Netflix account and have your host stick in the movie disks, if they are game.

BTW, I am not sure you really need close friend or family to host you in the US. Even a casual friend in the US may be persuaded to host your box if you offer to subsidize or even cover his cable charges. If the deal doesn't work out, the most you can lose is the cost of the slingbox hardware, which isn't all that much. I have read here there are also commercial hosting services.

Edited by Jingthing