Tot Hi-speed Internet

dpb

Is anyone using the TOT Hi-speed internet? How much does it cost, is it a reliable connection, can you get wireless etc?

I currently have True wireless Broadband 3mb (In Bangkok) and it costs just under 1000 baht but im moving house and im being advised to change to TOT so anything that will help me decide which is best is welcome

A little over a year ago I had TOT Goldcyber 2MB...it sucked due to slow international speed/bandwidth and frequent downtime. I cancelled after 6 weeks and switched to JI-NET which has been super reliable with very good international speed/bandwidth, but the max speed of their packages is 2MB and they cost significantly more than equivalent TOT, Ture, Maxnet, etc., packages.

I have 4 MB by TOT for ca. 700 THB / month and it work well but not all the time.

The 4 MB I get via fixnet phone and it is up to you use a modem LAN/WiFi as I do with

a D-Link DSL-G604T so I cover my office desktop Computer with LAN and rest of house

(Laptop and split with neighbour) via WiFi.

Edited by thaibear1

We have the 2MB, gold, TOT Internet. I will NOT use the word 'Hi Speed' at all. We live in Nongbulamphu in Issan. Not much else up here to go with. It can be painfully slow which I've learned to deal with. But, as of late, getting 'time outs' like crazy which is maddening.

Also, on the odd occasion, TOT will just up and cancel our service as they did two days ago. And, yes, we pay on time!

I use TOT 4MB package at B890 per month (which includes free phone calls up to B890). I purchased a separate wireless modem, everything works fairly well.

I expected more from the speed. My GF says her 4MB true internet is better and streaming movies (utube etc) is seamless whereas with TOT there are constant pauses while streaming.

the http://bangkok.speedtest.thaivisa.com/ speed test (from Thai Visa.com) gave me the following results...

It seems slow today...

Download Speed: 564 kbps (70.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 141 kbps (17.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 667 ms

3 January 2010 17:17:52 GMT+07:00

For a 4MB package and being in Bangkok, above speeds are pretty slow and the latency is really bad for a Bangkok to Bangkok speed test. I would be calling TOT to complain....you should be getting a lot better speed than above. But then again, it is TOT.

We have TOT Goldcyber and it really sucks but I have no choice. If you want to surf Thai websites it's generally OK but how many sites are hosted in US or Europe? International bandwidth is very poor and latency is pathetic. So you have to wait patiently for vidoes to download before watching - streaming is out of the question - and you often have to abandon conversations over Skype etc.

Latency today is diabolical: I am getting 5 seconds plus on Speedtest.net :)

Avoid for the sake of your sanity!