When Bangkok Sinks Into The Sea, Where Shall The New Thai Capital Be?

Jingthing

When Bangkok sinks into the sea, where shall the new Thai capital be?  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are a couple of blueprints somewhere that could be dusted off. I can't remember now if it was Chavalit who was moving everything to Chachoengsao, and someone else heading to Nakhon Pathom.

I think since I arrived here in the 80s, Bangkok has always been 20 years from being under water.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple of blueprints somewhere that could be dusted off. I can't remember now if it was Chavalit who was moving everything to Chachoengsao, and someone else heading to Nakhon Pathom.

I think since I arrived here in the 80s, Bangkok has always been 20 years from being under water.

That doesn't prove it won't happen. Anyway, realistically Bangkok wasn't all that great a location to begin with. If Thailand changes their capital location, it won't be the first time for Siam/Thailand, and it isn't all that unusual in the world. Moving because of going underwater, that may be the trendy thing though.

Edited by Jingthing

in 50 billion years the planet wont exist where will you want the capital to be then?

thought it was 2 years from now? :)

Seriously, like other posters mentioned, there'd be massive protection plans before any moving was to be considered, but a new pre-planned administrative city as Malaysia have done could certainly be built in the environs of Ayuttaya...

It may well be a good idea to build a new capital from scratch, complete with pavements, cycle paths, wide roads and a good train system.

But it won't be on account of a rise in sea level. That is just something we are told about to scare us into paying more tax.

Yeah, everything's a conspiracy! Al Gore did it!

The climategate scandal exposed how the very top IPCC scientists are indeed conspiring to fudge data, stamp out any dissenting voices and make a mockery of the peer review system.

The group of scientists who drive the IPCC climate science agenda is very small, a few dozen, not thousands as we are constantly being told.

in 50 billion years the planet wont exist where will you want the capital to be then?

thought it was 2 years from now? :)

Seriously, like other posters mentioned, there'd be massive protection plans before any moving was to be considered, but a new pre-planned administrative city as Malaysia have done could certainly be built in the environs of Ayuttaya...

Methinks you grossly overestimate the foresight and planning of ANY Thai government! Its all about today.

Why does it have to move? It will be the true Venus of the East.
:)

Did you mean Venice of the East???????

Actually Bangkok is like Venice, only most of the klongs (canals) have had roads built over them.

'bdenner'

It'll never happen cause some highly educated, smart arsed Thai Engineer said so here! Why the pole?

I had an article transposed to TV from MSNBC that truthfully repudiated this smart mans claims by another kind member as I was unable to do it myself , no respondents , ah well , never mind eh .

'bdenner'

It'll never happen cause some highly educated, smart arsed Thai Engineer said so here! Why the pole?

I had an article transposed to TV from MSNBC that truthfully repudiated this smart mans claims by another kind member as I was unable to do it myself , no respondents , ah well , never mind eh .

Current speculative ocean rise is 1.8mm per year, (.07 inch/yr) 10 years would be 0.7 inches, 20 years 1.4 inches. Somehow 2.5 meters (98.4 inches) seems a bit much, unless BKK is sinking around 4.85 inches / yr. In which case GW doesn't really factor much into the sinking equation.

And since Arctic ice is floating on the sea, it won't cause the oceans to rise if and when it melts. Besides, we appear to be entering a pretty decent cooling period at the moment.

Now if BKK is sinking that fast, get out your fins, snorkels and scuba gear. Would take care of some of the traffic problems though. :)

If I had to guess it will be just a little bit inland with new building codes as the city slowly rebuilds naturally. Thai building codes aren't for the longterm anyway. The city can just move gradually inland and onto elevated building sites. There will probably always be development closer to the gulf but it will be more expensive to engineer. The Japanese, UAE, and SGN etc are reclaiming land from the sea and growing. There will likely be sections of current greater BKK abandoned to levee's or just not cost effective to protect. If used wisely more water features incorporated into greater BKk could make it look better and feel less congested, polluted and chaotic.

There is a fairly large inherent assumption that the capital will even need be as centralized as it is now. If 30% for example of the existing population relocated to 30 different Thailand locations gradually over 20 years then BKK would still be the capital but just not as dense and centralized. There has been a great decentralization and efficient distribution of mfg, services etc and mgt and research physical loction requirements in the developed world with the advent of improved communications technology, transportation and better logistics. Surely this same trend will make sense in Thailand as it transitions to the modern world.

I voted for other because greater BKK was not a choice.

It may well be a good idea to build a new capital from scratch, complete with pavements, cycle paths, wide roads and a good train system.

But it won't be on account of a rise in sea level. That is just something we are told about to scare us into paying more tax.

Yeah, everything's a conspiracy! Al Gore did it!

I see you didnt read any of the artilces last time you posted something similar about sea levels rising then. IE TUVALU OR MALDIVES "alledgedly going under"

And your point is?

ITS IRRELEVANT the same as your postings about the sea level, you choose only the information you want to believe and ignore any other.

Well if this is a 20 year time line, surely we will know more in a very few years! Stay tuned.

Cooling period? Last decade was the warmest in recorded history.

Would that be the recorded history of the last 4.5 billion years or another time period?

That is a very silly thing to ask when we are talking about an underwater projection in TWENTY years.

You are quite correct it is a silly thing to ask..................to rely on a "projection" but no sillier than planning 50billion years ahead :)

ITS IRRELEVANT the same as your postings about the sea level, you choose only the information you want to believe and ignore any other.

Yeah, you know what they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them THINK.

Id rather not rely on computer projections.

Once again try reading it and checkout the person doing the research mentioned in the article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columni...-ever-told.html

Good luck with your horse

Edited by yabaaaa

Well if this is a 20 year time line, surely we will know more in a very few years! Stay tuned.

If you don't giggle the numbers, 1934 was the hottest in recorded history. The earth has been cooling since 2000. "Hide the decline!"

Besides, 60,000 Brits (who may die of the cold) may not think this year is so hot. :)

Sure seems to me that the logical choice is Nakhon Ratchasima. Plenty of elevation, relatively centrally located, and lots of room for development. Alternatively agencies could be decentralized as was done in the UK. Who would expect the Royal Navy to be so big in Bath? Of course to get anyone to move out of Bangkok for the hinterlands may be asking too much. Remember a few years ago when the Provincial Electric Authority built its new HQ in greater Bangkok rather than truly moving out to the provinces?

The 2000's were originally declared the warmest, then someone pointed out some 'mistakes', the numbers were re-crunched and the 1930's came out as the hottest. Of course, since then the numbers have been cherry picked and the 2000's is once again the hottest but then along came climategate and the IPCC lost whatever little creditability it had.

The Earth has been cooling for 2-3 years now and looks set to continue cooling in the near future coinciding with the Sun's decreasing activity. Yes, that huge ball of nuclear fusion in the sky, the thing that the Earth would fit into a million times drives our climate.

Edited by teatree

Ayutthaya has to be the logical choice, plenty of good foundation building stone around once they knock down those old ruins. Good river access, too.

But Bangkok has countless trillions of dollars of real-estate and infrastructure development, which nobody is going to abandon, especially now that only a small band of humans still believe in catastrophic man-made global warming.

As for Climategate, the e-mails stand as the internal memos from the East Anglia branch of the Nigerian National Bank, which can save us from the horrors of global warming after payment of a small up-front fee -- and then another, and another....