Koh Tao Motorbike Issue

I'm an American vacationing on Koh Tao, and I made the mistake of giving my passport as collateral on a motorbike for a one-week rental. (I was told later that a deposit of 5000 baht was sufficient, at least with some shops.) In any case, I tipped the bike climbing a hill, resulting in minor scratches on the left-side fairing (the bike is a new Click.) I took the bike to another shop other than the one I rented to and asked for an estimate - 2500 baht, though the proprietor of the second shop told me it was likely I would be charged double.

I returned the bike with 5000 baht at the ready - and was handed a bill for 11,600 baht - more or less enough for a brand-new bike. I balked and offered 5000 baht and they laughed. I laughed back and left the shop.

Local police refuse to help. Tourist police on Koh Samui so far not answering their telephone. US Embassy wants a local police report in order to grant a new passport - local police told me it would "create trouble" to make one for me and that I should file a report in Bangkok. I have since some to hear that this sort of thing is standard practice on Koh Tao, but of course, I have no way of knowing if that's the case.

My question is: other than going to BKK and applying for a new passport, do I have any recourse? Stories about this sort of thing abound on Koh Tao - is this the same case on the other islands as well? I have had no previous trouble renting motorbike anywhere else in Thailand. Again, the scratches were quite minor.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new bike is not 11,600 baht. not even remotely close.

Negotiate, they will most likely come down if you approach this in a civil manner without losing your temper. If you have already lost your temper and shouted obscenities at them, then negotiation will be that much more difficult.

First thing to do is ask for an itemized breakdown of the repair costs. Do you have any photos of the damage to the Click? If not, go take some before the hire place dismantles the bike. Then show the local police the photos and the repair estimate. Keep trying to contact the Tourist Police.

If all else fails, I have a mate who lives and drives big bike's on Koh Tao. PM me and I will give you his number. He's lived there for 17 years and knows most of the good guys and bad guys. Good luck

If you knew it was going to cost more at the shop you hired it from. you should have got it repaired before you went back. If you still have the bike that is what you should do. Otherwise just pay the money and chalk it up to experience..

easy solution, as outline already, would have riden the bike to the honda shop and had all the plastic replaced & thrown in a few extra baht for a speedy service, problem solved 3000 baht.

If you've already handed the bike back & exchanged insults, things are going to be that much more difficult to solve....seems you need to take more care about handing ur passport over, thats a big NO NO & making a false report that it was lost or stolen in order to obtain a new passport at your embassy is a quick way to find yourself sitting in a cell. Just running around the place without the passport is enuf to find yourself in some deep doo doo.

Have you thought about holidaying closer to home? :)

It's over, damage done, to property which wasn't yours, hide, run for shelter or pay up and take it like a gentlemen!

or try to negotiate out of it...but this will need many skills.... and some sort of an edge - which you might have lost already!

It is a practice done at some rental places, but not all... of course it's hard to know... being a tourist especially the first time here.

But always, give only a photo copy of your passport in the future.

Try PM' ing the guy who has lived there for a number of years, but as others have said you may be out of luck especially if you insulted them...

I used to work for the TP here in Koh Samui and years ago worked for the US Embassy so maybe I can provide some useful advice, as I have seen similar cases like yours.

1. As someone suggested call the local bike man in KT.

2. Contact Pop at KS Tourist Police 0859134513.

3. This is not your passport, but the property of the US government, and they will demand that the police retrieve it and return it, which they will.

Good-luck to you. I have been stung many times by scams, so don't feel too lonely.

Why are you not insured? Or why did you not check to see the insurance for the bike.

It is crazy to ride a bike or car without proper insurance in any country especially Thailand. What would have happened if you ran over and killed someone. I have no sympathy for you

Why are you not insured? Or why did you not check to see the insurance for the bike.

It is crazy to ride a bike or car without proper insurance in any country especially Thailand. What would have happened if you ran over and killed someone. I have no sympathy for you

keep your horses mate, it's not a question of insurance here, all the vehicules must have an insurance and tax paid and you need to put the sticker where it can be easily seen.

the CTPL will give to the family 100.000 thb if you kill someone.

My advice is know how to ride what your renting before you rent it.And whatever you rent treat it like you bought it.

If your not real experienced maybe at least 10 years or more then you should do taxi, tuk tuk,sangthaw ,etc,But thats just my advice to anyone.

''My question is: other than going to BKK and applying for a new passport, do I have any recourse?''Quote

Yes.Follow Parallaxtech's advise.If still no phone answer :Leave Tao for Samui and meet TPolice here.They will help.(US property}

You say :'' I laughed back and left the shop'' Good. (If true and no more)- So forget also all about the st...ds id..ts telling you: you should have done this or that...Done is done. (assurance on Tao...... Lol !)

In the south Islands best is to Rent bikes and Bungalows from Foreigners (They call us Farangs...)( doesn't mean you'll not be scamed but percentage will be certainly lower. ) After more than ten years here, i now think it's best (for :price, security, clean, service etc...) to use Foreing management , services etc. than Local ones(some don't see you as a human but as a stupid walking wallet). I didn't used to think the same few years ago , but times are changing here.... sometime not for the best.

Good luck.( Don't go Phuket !) Burma and Vietnam are nices places also)

Firstly you should'nt have handed over your passport and i don't think it's legal to hold someones passport anyway....not that would be of interest.

In short. they are going to try and take you for as much as they can, it's a national pastime.

A new bike is not 11,600 baht. not even remotely close.

Negotiate, they will most likely come down if you approach this in a civil manner without losing your temper. If you have already lost your temper and shouted obscenities at them, then negotiation will be that much more difficult.

There is no negotiation. They are simply going to rip him off for as much as they can, and will probably get extremely agressive about it :)

Options are simple

1.Tell the US embassey that the local police wont give you a report.Wait for reaction and go from there

2.Go to bangkok and get a new passport.

3.Negotiate the money down calmy pay your money and leave.

11600 bht is no where near the price of a new bike.

Unfourtunatly many tourists leave passport as deposit, they also sign a form showing any existing damage that normally states price for fixing to.

You did also crash the bike.

What would be helpful is if you told us all which bike shop this is ?

Good luck

Please give us a list of all the bike rental companies that insure their bikes for you. Here's a clue....it won't take very long :)

Please give us a list of all the bike rental companies that insure their bikes for you. Here's a clue....it won't take very long :D

So do any of them? :)

I used to work for the TP here in Koh Samui and years ago worked for the US Embassy so maybe I can provide some useful advice, as I have seen similar cases like yours.

1. As someone suggested call the local bike man in KT.

2. Contact Pop at KS Tourist Police 0859134513.

3. This is not your passport, but the property of the US government, and they will demand that the police retrieve it and return it, which they will.

Good-luck to you. I have been stung many times by scams, so don't feel too lonely.

This is good info. But you dont even need to do that much. Forget about going to the local polcie yourself ( most of them are useless and dont like farangs who wont pay them more money.)

This passport is Property of the US Goverment. Just contact them and tell them the truth the man at the moterbike rental shop has stolen your passport. If possible try to get a picture of him and his shop. Take these thing to the US embaasy in BKK. Make sure you see and speak to a American person who works there ( not a thai who works there ). If they who let you see a Amercian dont be put off by them. remember the US embassy in BKK is US land and US law. You have more right to be there than them and demand to thai's who work there to let you speak to a american and have to let you.

As soon as you tell them this man at the moterbike shop has stolen your passport they will sort it all out for you.

How can some people who have posted be telling this guy to go and get a new passport becuase some lazy waste of space koh tao islander has stolen it. The US goverment vs Koh tao !!! haha i wonder who will win this little war. .. Just ask someone born on Koh Tao and point out on a map where the USA is in the worl and you have your asnwer. The world map for the local thai's born on these islands are them tourist maps from the boat company with just the 3 islands on it.

Dont listen to alot of people on here saying ' just pay the money and learn ' or TIT ( this is thailand ) haha people who say make me laugh... That is a term used in war torn parts of africa by people working there.... so to people who say that even make your own little line up about thailand or just stop using that. TIT means <deleted>*k all !! get over it.

How can some people who have posted be telling this guy to go and get a new passport becuase some lazy waste of space koh tao islander has stolen it. The US goverment vs Koh tao !!! haha i wonder who will win this little war. .. Just ask someone born on Koh Tao and point out on a map where the USA is in the worl and you have your asnwer. The world map for the local thai's born on these islands are them tourist maps from the boat company with just the 3 islands on it.

:D:):D

Americans....

This is good info. But you dont even need to do that much. Forget about going to the local polcie yourself ( most of them are useless and dont like farangs who wont pay them more money.)

This passport is Property of the US Goverment. Just contact them and tell them the truth the man at the moterbike rental shop has stolen your passport. If possible try to get a picture of him and his shop. Take these thing to the US embaasy in BKK. Make sure you see and speak to a American person who works there ( not a thai who works there ). If they who let you see a Amercian dont be put off by them. remember the US embassy in BKK is US land and US law. You have more right to be there than them and demand to thai's who work there to let you speak to a american and have to let you.

As soon as you tell them this man at the moterbike shop has stolen your passport they will sort it all out for you.

How can he tell them the truth, that they stole his passport? This is not the truth, he gave them the passport. So why compound the issue with a lie? So all of a sudden this guy that rents & damages a bike is an angel & the guy that rents it out to to him is a passport thief?

Love to see the US navy moored off Koh Tao in the near future perhaps.

A waste of breath, the OP has not been back since his post.Not very interested is he now?

Only 19 hours between his post and yours.. :) in a hurry? :D

I think he is in the midst of some high level diplomatic wrangling.

A waste of breath, the OP has not been back since his post.Not very interested is he now?

Only 19 hours between his post and yours.. :) in a hurry? :D

I think he is in the midst of some high level diplomatic wrangling.

I really love your Humor Mr Rooo ! Sure we can have a good time together if i' m lucky enough too meet you one day! :D :D