Thailand Donates $20000 To Haiti

Slaps

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much has everyone here given thus far?
I have given 50 euro's . Which the government will double , they double every amount

any of their citizen is willing to give , The Netherlands that is .

Wonder how much it will cost the Thai government if they do the same ......

One cup of rice from every Thai citizen is 65 million cups , which uhmm the government doubles will be really good aid .

Sorry but can't help myself to pitty this ridiculous 20k aid this government is willing to give ...

Edited by tijnebijn

The UK has raised 100x the amount Thailand has raised, a clear demonstration that farang are 100x better than Thai people.

That is a sweeping generalisation. It was afterall the governments decision, not one made by the general populace. I just can't help thinking it would have been better to have given nothing. At the end of the day people here have little or no interest in what happens outside their own country. But surely, anyone watching the aweful scenes on television might well be thinking "is that the best we could come up with?"

Is it not an accurate reflection of the contempt that most haves in Thailand feel for the have nots? :)

I don't feel this way.

I feel that many Thai people like any people if they were exposed enough to the press story PICTURES of what happened and you made it easy to give some cash at places on public streets manned by people that they actually trusted wouldn't steal the money would give money. The 20K USD, that was just a government thing with little relation to people on the street.

From the current Thai government point of view. Well, they are not a strong, confident government. They are under intense pressure and threats. If they had donated a huge amount, they could have easily come under internal political criticism, why are you giving to foreigners money that could go to poor Thais?

Edited by Jingthing

$20,000. What's the point of a donation like that?

The Thai naval vessels will not be required. There will be more than enough Canadian and American naval vesssels on scene. I think between the 5,000 Americans and 1,000 Canadian service men and women pegged for Haiti, and the UN peacekeeping contingent already garrisoned ton Haiti, that Thai military assistance won't be needed. The Canadians were already responsible for the UN police training program and have enough of their own civilian police officers that have served in Haiti and that have volunteered to return if required, that additional foreign personnel from Thailand will not be needed. It's just a matter of time to get the aid to the public.

I guess the $20,000 donation can be used to put up a big billboard thanking PM Abhisit and the nation of Thailand for its generous gesture. I am sure the EU nations, Canada and the USA that gave all that money to Thailand following the tsunami will really be impressed by the current government's decision. No doubt it will further their collective "positive" views of his excellency PM Abhisit.

I still think people are making too big a deal about the Thai response. Its embarrassing for them internationally but not much was expected from Thailand in the first place. It was so small it would have been better to not mention it. Money is coming into Haiti from many other countries including a million from Guyana which is really amazing, but the problem right now is the logistics of getting the needs met on the ground. Private people in Thailand can send money to the Thai Red Cross. In the long run Haiti will be rebuilt mostly on the backs of the American taxpayers financed by China (as America doesn't actually have the money), nothing changes ...

Also, another way to donate people can trust (even though GW Bush is involved which is kind of weird) --

http://www.clintonbushhaitifund.org/

Edited by Jingthing

When the shoe was on the other foot, Thailand had no problem accpeting over $60,000,000.00 USD and it was just the Beach that was devestated not the capital.

"Thailand Launches New Tsunami Aid Tracking System Bangkok, 28 October 2005 – A new website to track international assistance to Thailand’s tsunami recovery effort shows that, to date, over 45 international partners have provided US$61 million worth of technical assistance through nearly 200 projects in support of a wide range of government agencies and community organizations to assist people in the tsunami-affected areas of Southern Thailand."

"According to the DAD Thailand website, the United Nations accounts for the largest portion of tsunami recovery related technical assistance managed in Thailand (US$23.4 million). Agencies currently managing the technical assistance include the United Nations Children’s Fund (US$12 million), United Nations Development Programme (US$5.2 million) and the World Health Organization (US$3 million)."

I Sincerely hope that they can loosen their purse strings a little more.

Thailand should be donating RICE, not a laughable $20,000. As the largest rice exporter in the world, they could really help Haiti with food.

Instead, the $20,000 will be used for a billboard in Port-au-Prince that shows Abhisit and says:

"Vote for me, because I'll really need every vote I can get in the next election!"

I see the mighty Messiah Obama has agreed to donate 100 million to Haiti. Not bad till you consider he has agreed to donate 18 BILLION to Israel in aid and gave wall st bankers 3 TRILLION ? :D You go figure. Thailand has done something at least. just how many people slagging off Thailands donation have actually put their hand in their pocket and sent money ? :)

As i am still paying tax in my home country i supported as well and they send little bit more then 0.008 cents of a baht a citizen.

Why exactly is it expected of Thailand to donate more than they have done already?

Haiti is a mess,always has been and always will be.No matter how much money other countries donate, it will never change.

Where are you coming from, Haiti was a mess years ago, did a lot better the last 2 years.

Why donations wouldt change anything?? you dont know what are you talking about, next time give your comments before starting abusing your organs by forcing whiskey into your system.

56 orphans where send to Holland because of money, they get a better live because of money after they lost both there parents in this disaster.

Roger Federer organised a set of tennis last night and raised in the region of 6million baht.

Well done Rog

An individual V's an entire Nation - A farang V's Thai when it comes to money. It is customary for farangs to give money to thais not the otherway around

Edited by moetownblues

Why exactly is it expected of Thailand to donate more than they have done already?

Haiti is a mess,always has been and always will be.No matter how much money other countries donate, it will never change.

Where are you coming from, Haiti was a mess years ago, did a lot better the last 2 years.

Why donations wouldt change anything?? you dont know what are you talking about, next time give your comments before starting abusing your organs by forcing whiskey into your system.

56 orphans where send to Holland because of money, they get a better live because of money after they lost both there parents in this disaster.

I have no idea what your post was meant to mean.I think you were the one on the whisky!

<deleted>!

No the national motto is currently "It's better than Uzbekistan", or so I'm told!

I didn't really expect the Thai government to do anything at all so I don't feel disappointed. I would have liked to see Google and Microsoft and some other transnats do more than they have.

Well, Thai government contribution has been uppped to 30 million baht, 20,000 tonnes or rice and medical teams. Much better.

:)

Sounds much better. The key word -- sounds. It would be interesting to know how much of that is CASH RIGHT NOW which is the major thing being asked for urgently. Also, what portion is in rice and how are they valuing the rice, by wholesale or highly marked up retail value?

Edited by Jingthing