Thailand Donates $20000 To Haiti

Slaps

just read the article in the Post Thai Gov preparting to send aid in 2 warships or fly it in That might be the better option than relying on the 20000$ getting there in one piece Well done Thailand

Great idea. Sending doctors would be good. The trouble is this aid thing will all dry up if the aid workers are under threat of serious violence, and I think that is probably going to happen there very soon. It sounds imperialistic, but I don't care, I think America should send in US troops immediately after getting permission from the PM of Haiti, which I bet you he would give. I don't think they should bother shooting looters, its more about making it safe enough for aid workers to operate. The way its going now more people could die from the aftermath of the quake than the quake itself.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its not a misprint,it really is pitiful,after all the help thailand received after the tsunami.that amount of money amounts to 1 weeks tea money from district 8 precinct in bangkok.

I wonder if Haiti gave Thailand money after the tsunami.

I'm surprised they gave anything - no Thais know where Haiti is, actually neither do I :) - where is it?

I don't see Haiti in the list of tsunami donors in the Wikipedia link. The list also covers total donations to every country affected, only a portion of it went to Thailand. I also wonder how much would have been donated if it weren't for the number of tourists killed that day?

Last time I checked, Haiti was the poorest country on earth (or at least in the bottom ten). That was before the quake. There is no comparison between the wealth of Thailand and Haiti. Thai nationalists want this country to be taken seriously in the world. That involves engagement with the world.

BTW, there was indeed massive international aid to Indonesia which was hit in non-western-tourist areas, so that theory that Thailand got help because of the dead tourists doesn't cut it.

Edited by Jingthing

The thinking is probably, hey that's a really small island country on the other side of the world.

I think you're giving the average Thai's knowledge of geography a bit too much credit there Jingthing mate. :)

The thinking is probably, hey that's a really small island country on the other side of the world.

I think you're giving the average Thai's knowledge of geography a bit too much credit there Jingthing mate. :)

I don't know who made the decision but likely Abhisit was briefed on it, yes?

Last time I checked, Haiti was the poorest country on earth (or at least in the bottom ten). That was before the quake. There is no comparison between the wealth of Thailand and Haiti. Thai nationalists want this country to be taken seriously in the world. That involves engagement with the world.

BTW, there was indeed massive international aid to Indonesia which was hit in non-western-tourist areas, so that theory that Thailand got help because of the dead tourists doesn't cut it.

But who got the publicity? Everytime I turned on CNN or BBC there was a reporter standing in Phuket or Khao Lak. Anyway, wait til Feb 26th, Thailand will be able to make a much larger donation then.

Why is it that whenever a news item dissing Thaksin is posted we get dozens coming on here trying to discredit it, yet whenever anything is posted showing Thailand in a bad light it is taken as gospel, and people are falling over each other trying to add to the speculation? Has this amount been confirmed by a government spokesman?

But who got the publicity? Everytime I turned on CNN or BBC there was a reporter standing in Phuket or Khao Lak. Anyway, wait til Feb 26th, Thailand will be able to make a much larger donation then.

Why is it that whenever a news item dissing Thaksin is posted we get dozens coming on here trying to discredit it, yet whenever anything is posted showing Thailand in a bad light it is taken as gospel, and people are falling over each other trying to add to the speculation? Has this amount been confirmed by a government spokesman?

thats the point,its come from an article in a pattaya newspaper,totally untrustworthy news print,have to wait and see.I dont believe the amount would be correct,even if no one in the thai govt. has n't a clue where haiti is.

"This will play right into Obama's hands -- humanitarian, compassionate," Limbaugh said. "They'll use this to burnish their, shall we say, credibility with the black community, in both the light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country. It's made to order for him."

Sounds like the almighty god of talk radio Rush limpwah is in need of oxycontins in great quantities again. I sure hope the $25,000 helps . They need it. I wonder how much Rush donated?LOL

Edited by Beardog

Hey, the Thais and Haitians may have more in common than they think --

The Haitians are a wonderful, warm people, but they cannot put together a political system that lasts
Robert B. Killebrew, a senior fellow at the Center for New American security and a retired Army colonel who helped organize the Clinton-era intervention Edited by Jingthing

I wonder how much did they donate to Chinese Earthquake victims? I'm temped to say something ignorant but I'll leave it alone. 20K ? I mean..... wow, when the world helped them when they were in need. Guess they never heard of passing a good dead around.

I wonder how much did they donate to Chinese Earthquake victims? I'm temped to say something ignorant but I'll leave it alone. 20K ? I mean..... wow, when the world helped them when they were in need. Guess they never heard of passing a good dead around.

China has had much worse earthquakes based on the fatalities. But China is a huge country with a very organized government. The Haiti situation is unusual in that whatever social structure they did have was hit directly and wiped out. They really are helpless and basically begging for help.

just read the article in the Post Thai Gov preparting to send aid in 2 warships or fly it in That might be the better option than relying on the 20000$ getting there in one piece Well done Thailand

Great idea. Sending doctors would be good. The trouble is this aid thing will all dry up if the aid workers are under threat of serious violence, and I think that is probably going to happen there very soon. It sounds imperialistic, but I don't care, I think America should send in US troops immediately after getting permission from the PM of Haiti, which I bet you he would give. I don't think they should bother shooting looters, its more about making it safe enough for aid workers to operate. The way its going now more people could die from the aftermath of the quake than the quake itself.

So any way F it really if Thailand wants to be ignorantly Keeneeow in the wake of being natural disaster victims themselves, so be it At least Haiti has America, despite being tied up in wars and a F'ed up Economy we help, heavily, as always, as a powerful nation in good conscience should. $20,000 is like I mean really The people that ordered that chump change donation probably have watches that cost more than that. hel_l I spent more than that on my honeymoon...damm that's ignorant. better to not give anything at all, barely buy a decent generator with that.

China has had much worse earthquakes based on the fatalities. But China is a huge country with a very organized government. The Haiti situation is unusual in that whatever social structure they did have was hit directly and wiped out. They really are helpless and basically begging for help.

Agreed, so much for a lil Nam Jai compassion... I just have no words, other than F&^# Abhisit if he was briefed on this and allowed it to go through without thinking to either just not donate at all or bump it up to a million, I mean whats $1 Million really? But no $20,000 like.. that really is like someone on the block down the street from yours has their house burnt down. A couple years ago yours burnt down too and many of your neighbors helped. So you see this guy totally screwed there with nothing and you hand him $1 and say "Here ya go don't spend it all in one place!"

I am going to say this just because I feel it needs to be said and I bet some people are thinking it. Do you think the race of the Haitian people has anything to do with the paltry response?

Ask a 100 Thais where Haiti is.

Yabaaa, Ask 100 Thais where Bangladesh is.... Everyone knows their geography education sucks. But 100 Thais didn't decide to donate the govt's money 1 or 2 did who know damm well were it is.

Jing, Yes I think it did.

I know of individuals and company's in Thailand who have collectively contributed more than $20K. This paltry donation from the Government will be so watered down by the time it gets to Haitai that it will giver very little or no benefit to anyone. :)

I see the mighty Messiah Obama has agreed to donate 100 million to Haiti. Not bad till you consider he has agreed to donate 18 BILLION to Israel in aid and gave wall st bankers 3 TRILLION ? :D You go figure. Thailand has done something at least. just how many people slagging off Thailands donation have actually put their hand in their pocket and sent money ? :)

I think it's also important to see the amount Thailand has donated in the past to other countries.....

$50000 USD to Vietnamese typhoon victims

$100,000 FOR TYPHOON FRANK VICTIMS (Philippines)

100,000 US dollars and rice for people affected by earthquakes in Indonesia

US $25,000 for Hurricane Dean Reconstruction (Jamaica)

$20,000 to Haiti seems in-line with Thailands "usual" donation amounts. It's a pitty that Thailand is more of a taker than a giver considering how much Thailand depends on the internationl community.....

If its not a misprint,it really is pitiful,after all the help thailand received after the tsunami.that amount of money amounts to 1 weeks tea money from district 8 precinct in bangkok.

I'm surprised they gave anything - no Thais know where Haiti is, actually neither do I :) - where is it?

So mate but that's a very poor arguement when Haiti i believe is one of the three poorest countries in the world with one in four of it's children suffering from malnutrition. You'll have to do whole lot better than that.

BTW, it's next to the Dominican Republic :D

I don't see Haiti in the list of tsunami donors in the Wikipedia link. The list also covers total donations to every country affected, only a portion of it went to Thailand. I also wonder how much would have been donated if it weren't for the number of tourists killed that day?

I distinctly remember Thaksin saying thanks but no thanks to a lot of aid that was offered. Don't you?

I see the mighty Messiah Obama has agreed to donate 100 million to Haiti. Not bad till you consider he has agreed to donate 18 BILLION to Israel in aid and gave wall st bankers 3 TRILLION ? :D You go figure. Thailand has done something at least. just how many people slagging off Thailands donation have actually put their hand in their pocket and sent money ? :)

My old man made a healthy donation to Thailand tsunami disaster fund Dunc's and to this day has yet to hear anything.

As far as Thailand doing something....sometimes it would have been better to do nothing and let the civilised world get on with this terrible tragedy :D

Edited by carmine

I distinctly remember Thaksin saying thanks but no thanks to a lot of aid that was offered. Don't you?

Yeap. Remember that too, the government didn't want aid. Private groups took it of course though, who knows how much it disappeared. And there were backpackers volunteering, which was profitable for some people as they got free labour instead of having to pay poor Burmese people to work.

I think it's also important to see the amount Thailand has donated in the past to other countries.....

$50000 USD to Vietnamese typhoon victims

$100,000 FOR TYPHOON FRANK VICTIMS (Philippines)

100,000 US dollars and rice for people affected by earthquakes in Indonesia

US $25,000 for Hurricane Dean Reconstruction (Jamaica)

$20,000 to Haiti seems in-line with Thailands "usual" donation amounts. It's a pitty that Thailand is more of a taker than a giver considering how much Thailand depends on the internationl community.....

so 20,000 dollars to haiti is par for the course.........cheap charlie's really

So mate but that's a very poor arguement when Haiti i believe is one of the three poorest countries in the world with one in four of it's children suffering from malnutrition. You'll have to do whole lot better than that.

BTW, it's next to the Dominican Republic :)

Yeah, they're all very poor there. Did you see the pictures of the presential palace? It's just another corrupt tin pot little country where the rich and powerful have bled the average people dry, and expect a handout when something happens. It would be interesting to see just how much the rich Haitians give to their poor countrymen compared to how much foreign aid they skim off. Not unlike Thailand in that respect. Foreign aid - poor people in rich countries giving money to rich people in poor ones.

Maybe they could sell their voodoo secrets in Thailand to the highest bidder. Both shirt colours would love to get their hands on them.