Anyone Had A Baby In Thailand

tigerfish

anyone had a baby in thailandmy wife gave birth to a baby girl recently!

what i want to know is where you allowed to be present at the birth.

i wasnt! she gave birth to a healthy baby girl(thank god) in bangkok, but i wasnt allowed to stay with my wife during labour.(she is my first child) i am aware of the options concerning paying extra for v.i.p.treatment, that allows the mother to have a private room and also allows the father to be present at birth. but why should you pay to be able to see your own baby being born?

what if something had gone wrong! i had to wait until the next morning to find out if both mother and baby where o.k. i know thailand has its own culture and way of doing things, but please its not the 18 hundreds we are living in the 21st century.

even when i went to see my daughter on the very first day, i was only allowed to see her through a plain glass window, for a minute maximun. also no photos, or mobiles that enable you to take pictures were permitted.

yours, a very p_issed off farang.

Edited by tigerfish

each hospital has a different policy on fathers present at birth, some not allow at all.

if your wife is giving birth in the governmental hospital, than if she want's a private room and your presense, you arrange it beforehand, to be sure there is a room available and you pay extra for the service.

for whatever reason, maybe misscommunication or some problems you were not informed at home, but you can wait in the hospital and enquiry from time to time of the developments or phone hospital yourself.

I would think, that probably your wife had their will

each hospital has a different policy on fathers present at birth, some not allow at all.

if your wife is giving birth in the governmental hospital, than if she want's a private room and your presense, you arrange it beforehand, to be sure there is a room available and you pay extra for the service.

for whatever reason, maybe misscommunication or some problems you were not informed at home, but you can wait in the hospital and enquiry from time to time of the developments or phone hospital yourself.

I would think, that probably your wife had their will

My Thai Wife had a healthy Boy Born at Surriraj Hospital in September 2006

I was not allowed at the Birth but they gave mePhoe umber to rig to get updates... When he was born they told me i could come and see him, Which took me a hour to get back there and they brag my boy out for me to nurse him, So i was glad with that, Also my wife stayed in public ward but there was no problem for me to take some pics of bubs, He was present in the room quite a bit just had the Jaudice so he had to go to special room where they treat it, So i have to say Surriraj Hospital is one great Hospital, Both for Falang and Thais,... I recomend this Hospital over private anyday.. Hope you have a great time watching your bub grow as they grow very quickly......Cheerrs

what if something had gone wrong!

Do you know more about problems in childbirth than a doctor?

My first was born in an expensive(rip-off) hospital called Bamrungrad and I was present. The second was born in a govt. one and I wasn't and I didn't want to be anyway.

After a few years, you'll have no interest anyway about the 500 photos you took that first day or the silly footfrint.

When my wife had a baby, I was told I was not allowed in the room where she was waiting for target dilation.

I waited by the door looking in, eventually the staff said I could come in and be with her, finally when the time came to deliver, I waited outside the delivery room.

Again the staff came out and invited me in, I took a fanastic picture of the doctor holding up my child immediately after delivery.

I photographed all staff and gave them all pictures, I was very happy.

I suspect the doctor had never had a photo taken during the delivery, she seemed very happy too.

Nothing was prearranged and it was against the hospital policy, yet it happened.

You should be out buying the gold, to present her with, for giving you a beautiful child.........

Good god man have you learnt nothing about Thai culture........

This is a serious post by the way.......

Also, if she had wanted you at the birth she would have made sure you were there!!!!

My child was born in Pattaya International Hospital and was in the end, an elective caesarian and the baby was overdue. I had intended to be present all along and the gynaecologist who had been dealing with us for months was aware of this and yet, after preparing her for theatre, they made no attempt to even have me on the right floor of the building, leaving me downstairs as they too her up to the delivery room.

I was present throughout. They did ask me whether I thought I would be OK with the blood and the procedure (which they do not explain in any detail) but only after I made my own way upstairs (luckily I knew the layout of the hospital having used it for other visits over the years). I was quickly given a gown, shoes and hat and scrubbed up but I have no doubt that despite them knowing for months that I intended to be there and my partner wanting and needing me there, they wanted to get on with the procedure quickly and deliberately left me downstairs, hoping that they could get it all over and done with before having to deal with me.

That was underhand and someone not so willing to come forward would have been informed of their child's delivery when they were still sitting in reception, waiting for the signal to go to the delivery room.

My wife had cesarian so i wasn't allowed in the room. To be honest though i was perfectly happy not to be there. What was annoying is that they left me with no news for hours and it wasn't till i enquired that i told my son had been born 2 hours ago and would i like to see him. We went private and appart from this were very happy with the room attention and other service pre and post birth. Will be going back to same place for birth of the next one end of Feb. Suwandok hospital chiang mai, btw

I was at a government hospital and invited in to see the birth,Aranyaprahtet it was and i was very impressed with the caring service they provided to the mother and my newborn.

Recommended :)

torrenova.....congratulations on the birth of your baby daughter :D if i was you, i would try not to dwell on the unprofessionalism of the hospital involved and enjoy your happy times ahead!

The memory of the birth will fade,count your blessings she is healthy this is all that matters in the end.

You should be out buying the gold, to present her with, for giving you a beautiful child.........

Also, if she had wanted you at the birth she would have made sure you were there!!!!

Geo sure is a Thai expert. :)

My child was born in Pattaya International Hospital and was in the end, an elective caesarian and the baby was overdue. I had intended to be present all along and the gynaecologist who had been dealing with us for months was aware of this and yet, after preparing her for theatre, they made no attempt to even have me on the right floor of the building, leaving me downstairs as they too her up to the delivery room.

I was present throughout. They did ask me whether I thought I would be OK with the blood and the procedure (which they do not explain in any detail) but only after I made my own way upstairs (luckily I knew the layout of the hospital having used it for other visits over the years). I was quickly given a gown, shoes and hat and scrubbed up but I have no doubt that despite them knowing for months that I intended to be there and my partner wanting and needing me there, they wanted to get on with the procedure quickly and deliberately left me downstairs, hoping that they could get it all over and done with before having to deal with me.

That was underhand and someone not so willing to come forward would have been informed of their child's delivery when they were still sitting in reception, waiting for the signal to go to the delivery room.

Perhaps.......maybe........you were not the centre of attention......just maybe..... delivering a healthy baby, and, making sure your wife was comfortable and all went well.......was just a little higher on the priority list than making sure the spectators were at the game.. :) .

Edited by 473geo

Geo sure is a Thai expert. :)

:D:cheesy::clap2: ........yep you should not question, contradict, or rubbish anything I write........got it!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

my good friend's wife recently had a CS at the local govt hospital. he was not permitted in during the OP, but the wee nipper was brought out 15 minutes after being born. Proud dad and daughter went up to their private room and mum joined them an hour later. All very chilled and everyone happy - room cost about 400B a night. It was 'suggested' to my friend that he 'tip' the OB doctor who did the operation 3k Baht... TiT.

My first child is due in April and we are going to be using a very good private hospital near my home in Bangkok. We've already organised with the hospital that we will be taking the exclusive package that will allow me to be in the room throughout the delivery. I'm so excited. I know on the regular packages the father cannot be present. Definitely worth the extra money I think.

My Mrs. had our two girls at BNH. I was present at both births. I'm 6'3" and the little sheet they had across her so that I couldn't see what was happening was quite small. Needless to say that I shrunk down in my seat after glancing across the divide and seen what was going on! Seem to remember the faint smell of burning flesh at some point of the proceedings

My Daughter was born in BKK Pattaya 12 years ago. I told them I wanted to be present but My wife began losing blood and they were afraid that the cord was causing problems so we agreed to an immediate caesarean. A nurse took me to scrub up and put on a gown. Bloody hel_l were they fast, I was just rinsing my hands when my daughter was wheeled past me towards an incubator. I didnt realise they did speed caesarean's here!!.

The medical doctors and staff at the hospitals are meant to be well educated and trained in obstetrics, yet from many of the posts on this subject, it is obvious many of them are 50 years behind the times. :)

Most women want their partner present during the birth for support and to see a friendly face at this difficult time.

ANY doctor or midwife in Thailand who doesn't understand that, needs to get a job in 7/11 cause they are surely not cut out for the medical profession.

Jesus H this is 2010 <deleted>.

Or maybe they do not want any farang father to see just how incompetent they are.

As for paying for a "special package" in order to be allowed to watch the birth of your own child, just another rip off. It costs NOTHING for a husband to stand and watch, but Thais have managed to put a price on what should be a special moment. :D

Edited by khundon

the questions asked were, anyone had a baby in thailand? and were you allowed to be present at birth? neither of which you cared to answer. instead you decided to imply that i dont know anything about thai culture and that i must be an uncaring husband because i hadnt bothered to write about buying gold to present to my wife for giving birth to a beautiful baby girl.

for your imfomatiom mr. know it all! when both mother, father and baby were united for the very first time i gave my wife a 5gram in (weight) gold necklace, with the promise that once we returned home, i would take her to choose a budda(nang-pia) amulet to put on the chain. then as a whole family we went to our local wat to have the monks bless both my daughter and wife, aswell as the thai budda amulet.my daughter also has two gold bands with ringing balls attatched, that i bought for her. they are worn around each of the babies ankles, and when she moves you can hear the balls ring. this is very traditional thing to do within thai culture and still practiced by alot of thais to this prsent day.

as for the quote about, if my wife had wanted me at the birth she would have made sure i was there. do you not think the question was not asked, by both my wife and i.

Edited by tigerfish

the questions asked were, anyone had a baby in thailand? and were you allowed to be present at birth? neither of which you cared to answer. instead you decided to imply that i dont know anything about thai culture and that i must be an uncaring husband because i hadnt bothered to write about buying gold to present to my wife for giving birth to a beautiful baby girl.

for your imfomatiom mr. know it all! when both mother, father and baby were united for the very first time i gave my wife a 5gram in (weight) gold necklace, with the promise that once we returned home, i would take her to choose a budda(nang-pia) amulet to put on the chain. then as a whole family we went to our local wat to have the monks bless both my daughter and wife, aswell as the thai budda amulet.my daughter also has two gold bands with ringing balls attatched, that i bought for her. they are worn around each of the babies ankles, and when she moves you can hear the balls ring. this is very traditional thing to do within thai culture and still practiced by alot of thais to this prsent day.

as for the quote about, if my wife had wanted me at the birth she would have made sure i was there. do you not think the question was asked, by both my wife and i.

lol

My first child is due in April and we are going to be using a very good private hospital near my home in Bangkok. We've already organised with the hospital that we will be taking the exclusive package that will allow me to be in the room throughout the delivery. I'm so excited. I know on the regular packages the father cannot be present. Definitely worth the extra money I think.

Quality! :)

My first was born in an expensive(rip-off) hospital called Bamrungrad and I was present. The second was born in a govt. one and I wasn't and I didn't want to be anyway.

After a few years, you'll have no interest anyway about the 500 photos you took that first day or the silly footfrint.

Wow you're a ray of sunshine Neeranam. You're not Victor Meldrew are you?

My daughter was born in Bumrungrad. First class all the way, and I was there, no problem. Expensive? Well, it was 50,000 baht all in, two nights in a private room and all food and of course medical charges. If that is considered expensive, try paying for that same treatment in a US hospital. Think $25,000, at least.

Well it appears the thai medical staff have the birth rites over your unborn. If you want to be there you have to purchase a seat. I don't think I would pay to be abused and beaten by the wife. The old "You did this to me you bastard"

Just kidding don't take me seriously.

Wow you're a ray of sunshine Neeranam. You're not Victor Meldrew are you?

My daughter was born in Bumrungrad. First class all the way, and I was there, no problem. Expensive? Well, it was 50,000 baht all in, two nights in a private room and all food and of course medical charges. If that is considered expensive, try paying for that same treatment in a US hospital. Think $25,000, at least.

:)

I don't want o into the details but I was ripped off - the ICU unit was empty so they decided my daughter should go there even though there was nothing wrong with her. Anyways was 80,000 - you are lucky. Still 300 baht every time she wanted to use the breast pump!

I bet they told your wife she needed a cesarean - those doctors can't cancel a tee-time. AND the bloody doctor got a free weekend in my mother-in-laws beach hotel - but that's another story about the God-like nature of such distinguished medics.

Edited by Neeranam

Caeserian in private hospital in Ubon. My wife had said I would be excluded from the planned natural delivery in the local small town public hospital, so I was not expecting much involvement. In the event the Ubon Rak Hospital nurses called me into the operating theater to watch in all its gory details. The (all-female) team of 10 surgeons and nurses let me wander around the edges taking photos and videos.

Amazingly I did not faint once! Amazing video of Jennifer being pulled out of the womb and held aloft - I was careful to avoid catching the gory stomach edge in my shots!!

I had been happy to go with the Thai culture flow, but now I would advise any falang to take a break from tradition in this one important area and pre-plan attendance with the hospital. Thai village traditions are breaking down anyway but it is up to you to decide whether you want to support modernisation or tradition.

Cost about 50,000 baht by the way, including a slightly longer than normal 4 day stay in single private room (not the most expensive suite but not the cheapest room). They let me and mother-in-law camp out on provided couches and put-you-ups in the room also! Good value.

As debated elsewhere, only downside is you can almost guarantee a caeserian delivery if you go private (although many people go private only when they hear that a caeserian is probably required, as was the case with us).

Edited by SantiSuk

"I bet they told your wife she needed a cesarean - those doctors can't cancel a tee-time. AND the bloody doctor got a free weekend in my mother-in-laws beach hotel - but that's another story about the God-like nature of such distinguished medics."

Not just a Thai thing - I read once that 90% of private hospital births are caeserian and only 20% in public hospitals - a US stat I think

as for the quote about, if my wife had wanted me at the birth she would have made sure i was there. do you not think the question was not asked, by both my wife and i.

I am humbled and shamed by your eloquent response......guilty as charged......

So to answer your question

I have assisted in the births of over 1000 calves and 2000 lambs........birth holds no great secrets for me.....

So I did not wish to be involved..(it was a natural birth only took an hour) ..and was not.... :)

However I did get to hold the baby and my wife...take photos......in the general maternity ward of the govt hospital........along with a few other fathers in the same room.....I also got to sleep on a mat (kindly provided by another visitor) along side the bed to be with my wife and child 24/7 for the first couple of days. This was not planned just happened.

You didn't ask for the cost so I will not digress........

Edited by 473geo