Why Is Thailand So Danerous For Farangs

moetownblues

Does life have meaning to Thais

The Likit Cheewan intersection on the Chiang Mai – Phrao Road in San Sai has been the scene of two deadly shootings in the past week. The first was that of German national Thomas Schuller. Pricha Rattanahongthong, 39, was arrested on January 13 and charged with the shooting death of Thomas Josef Schuller, 43. The incident took place at the Likit Cheewan intersection on the Chiang Mai – Phrao Road on January 11 at 7 pm.

According to witnesses at the scene, the German man had been weaving through traffic on his motorcycle which resulted in the suspect honking at the victim and chasing him. Witnesses reported that the German had raised his middle finger to the suspect. When Mr. Schuller stopped for the traffic light, witnesses report that the suspect got out of his car, knocked the German man off his motorcycle and shot him twice in the back. He then got back in his car and drove away. Witnesses took down his license plate number and reported it to the police when they arrived.

Mr. Pricha denied all involvement in the murder when arrested by police but the police state that the case is solid and there are many witnesses to the crime.

Three days later, Asaba Saesao, 37, a hill tribe resident of Chaiprakarn, was shot 5 times by the pillion rider on a motorcycle while stopped at the very same intersection on January 14. According to his girlfriend, Kanchana Saechu, 26, they were returning to Chiang Mai city from Mae Jo in his pickup truck when they stopped at the red light at the intersection. Two men, one wearing a green shirt and one wearing a black jacket pulled alongside the truck. The pillion rider pulled out a gun and shot Mr. Asaba in the chest 5 times, killing him instantly. Police are searching for the suspects but so far have not apprehended them. Police will investigate the deceased’s background as there is a suspicion from the style of the murder that could indicate an involvement in drugs

Thanks for the reminder that I've not kept so much in the forefront of my mind this trip.

The little Honda I'm riding this time takes all my attention just hanging onto her and keeping both tyres somewhere in the vicinity of the road, but it's a good thing to remember that probably half those that we share the roads with here have a gun in their glovebox before acting out our road-rageous antics.

There are not always going to be witnesses around either, not that it matters all that much if yer already shot dead.

first case - stupidity of the cyclist, the car driver could just ride him down, rather than shoot. It would be just fatal traffic accident, with minimal penalties.

the second case is not exactly about farangs (hill tribe member is rather thai), there is a big probablility it was about drugs.