Abhisit Sets Human Rights Record Poorer

webfact

Abhisit sets human rights record poorer

By The Nation

Thailand's human rights situation under Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was getting worse over the past year, New York-based Human Watch said in its annual report Thursday.

"While Prime Minister Abhisit sometimes said the right things about human rights in 2009, his actions didn't match his words," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch. "The government continually undermined respect for human rights and due process of law in Thailand."

The 612 page World Report 2010, the organization annual review of human right practice around the world, said there were growing crackdown on protesters and other critics, including intensive surveillance of the internet, a failure to curb abuses by security force in Thailand.

There were also serious breaches of the country's obligations to protect refugees and asylum seekers, it said.

Mounting challenges from the red-shirted group has made Prime Minister Abhisit increasingly dependents on support from the military for his political survival, the report said.

The government's double standards in law enforcement worsened political tensions and deepened polarization. Leaders and members of the red-shirted group were arrested, detained, and criminally charged after the dispersal of their protests.

But the government has ignored public demands for an impartial investigation into politically motivated violence and human rights abuses committed by the yellow-shirted People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) during its protests and occupation of the Government House and Suvarnabhumi airport in 2008, which created conditions that enabled Abhisit to come to power.

Long delays in prosecuting PAD leaders are fuelling a growing public perception that they are immune to legal accountability, it said.

In deep south, where a separatist insurgency began in 2004, Abhisit's administration has allowed the military to continue to operate with impunity.

No member of the security forces has been criminally prosecuted for human rights abuses in the provinces of Pattani, Narathiwat, and Yala, even in high profile cases such as the Krue Se mosque killings, the Tak Bai crackdown, the torture and killing of Imam Yapa Kaseng, and the Al-Farquan mosque massacre.

The failure to act against official abuses extended to the police. Despite the government's strong opposition to the violent approach to drug suppression by the exiled former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, it remained unwilling to bring to justice officials allegedly responsible for more than 2,500 unresolved extrajudicial killings and serious abuses committed during Thaksin's 2003 "war on drugs" and ongoing drug suppression operations by the police.

"Democracy in Thailand suffers badly from draconian laws on lese majeste and cyber crimes," said Adams. "A climate of fear looms over civil discourse and in cyberspace as a result of increasing restrictions on freedom of expression under the Abhisit government."

The government also has used both the lese majeste statute in the Criminal Code and the new Computer Crimes Act to suppress critics of the monarchy and persecute perceived government enemies.

Human Right Watch cited cases of Suwicha Thakor and Daranee Charnchoengsilpakul who were sentenced 10 years and 18 years in prisons for example.

Abhisit's government blatantly breached Thailand's obligations under international law to protect refugees and asylum seekers for its forced repatriation of more than 4,600 Hmong to Laos and bad treatment of Rohingya boat people, Human Rights Watch said.

"Prime Minister Abhisit did not honor his pledge to uphold human rights principles and international law in 2009," Adams said. "Getting Thailand back on track as a rights-respecting nation in 2010 is crucial both for the country and the region."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-21

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's out topic of HM -but I mention it here because it's relevant when we are speaking about violence- but we have to remember the Abi and Kasit's obsession to provoke Cambodia in the goal to create the conditions of a war. As, all of us know, they begun their aggressive strategy even before to be in charge.

These guys are dangerous for peace and democracy.

I await the arrival of the current government's apologists and anticipate that we will be treated to such excuses as;

But it was worse under Thaksin. He killed thousands. The artistically gifted will add in that Mr. Thaksin did an Idi Amin dance right before he devoured their vital organs in a futile attempt to distract attention.

To these apologists, I wish to remind them that one of the arguments given for toppling Mr. Thaksin and subverting the electoral process at the time was to allow for better government. PAD undertook its activities that facilitated the ascension of PM Abhisit on the premise of a more humane, honest and better government. It isn't any better is it? Oh well, I'm sure they will find a way to blame Mr. Thaksin for this and no doubt it will make for entertaining reading.

I await there arrival as well.

I think you forgot one, though. Surely he has used his incredible PR machine to bamboozle the foreign media and the Human Rights people. They're pretty easy to con, since they aren't so bright.

it is clear Thaksin has paid this group to publish propaganda against the current Thai government, we all know the current government came to power as the result of free and fair elections and they are there because that is what the Thai people wanted while exercising their democratic rights, they are in no way controlled by the military and the promotion of kasit to the position of foreign minister was a master-stroke of politics, who better to have in this important position than a man who joined in the airport protests and called the elected head of a neighbouring country a gangster, diplomacy at its best.

the Hmong wanted to go back to laos and the fact they sent the army to repatriate them was a gesture of goodwill on the part of the government to wave them on their way, a military procession so to speak. And the Burmese towed out to sea was a safety measure to prevent them becoming grounded on rock, hurrah for the thai navy with this quick thinking.

now where is that sarcastic smiley? :)

it is clear Thaksin has paid this group to publish propaganda against the current Thai government, we all know the current government came to power as the result of free and fair elections and they are there because that is what the Thai people wanted while exercising their democratic rights, they are in no way controlled by the military and the promotion of kasit to the position of foreign minister was a master-stroke of politics, who better to have in this important position than a man who joined in the airport protests and called the elected head of a neighbouring country a gangster, diplomacy at its best.

the Hmong wanted to go back to laos and the fact they sent the army to repatriate them was a gesture of goodwill on the part of the government to wave them on their way, a military procession so to speak. And the Burmese towed out to sea was a safety measure to prevent them becoming grounded on rock, hurrah for the thai navy with this quick thinking.

now where is that sarcastic smiley? :)

LOL. Funny. Thaksin paid every single media/organization in the world. We all know this he has unlimited amount of money. *sarcasm*

I await the arrival of the current government's apologists and anticipate that we will be treated to such excuses as;

But it was worse under Thaksin. He killed thousands.

That's true, Thaksin was responsible for the deaths of thousands, but it has nothing to do with mistakes/crimes commited by the current government. Each government must stand accountable for its actions - that includes this one, and all the ones that came before it.

Your wait continues...

P.S. Don't hold your breath

But it was worse under Thaksin. He killed thousands.

That's true, Thaksin was responsible for the deaths of thousands, but it has nothing to do with mistakes/crimes commited by the current government. Each government must stand accountable for its actions - that includes this one, and all the ones that came before it.

Your wait continues...

P.S. Don't hold your breath

Yet more proof that Thailand is not a democracy but a military dictatorship.

"The failure to act against official abuses extended to the police. Despite the government's strong opposition to the violent approach to drug suppression by the exiled former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, it remained unwilling to bring to justice officials allegedly responsible for more than 2,500 unresolved extrajudicial killings and serious abuses committed during Thaksin's 2003 "war on drugs" and ongoing drug suppression operations by the police.

"Democracy in Thailand suffers badly from draconian laws on lese majeste and cyber crimes," said Adams. "A climate of fear looms over civil discourse and in cyberspace as a result of increasing restrictions on freedom of expression under the Abhisit government."

The government also has used both the lese majeste statute in the Criminal Code and the new Computer Crimes Act to suppress critics of the monarchy and persecute perceived government enemies.

Human Right Watch cited cases of Suwicha Thakor and Daranee Charnchoengsilpakul who were sentenced 10 years and 18 years in prisons for example.

Abhisit's government blatantly breached Thailand's obligations under international law to protect refugees and asylum seekers for its forced repatriation of more than 4,600 Hmong to Laos and bad treatment of Rohingya boat people, Human Rights Watch said.

"Prime Minister Abhisit did not honor his pledge to uphold human rights principles and international law in 2009," Adams said. "Getting Thailand back on track as a rights-respecting nation in 2010 is crucial both for the country and the region."

I have to be honest and applaud Administration for publishing this article which is not easy to swallow for the present government, and others.

What worries me, is the almost deafening silence by other members (more than 28 hours after posting this article) and I think that most, reading this, understand what I mean.

LaoPo

"The failure to act against official abuses extended to the police. Despite the government's strong opposition to the violent approach to drug suppression by the exiled former prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, it remained unwilling to bring to justice officials allegedly responsible for more than 2,500 unresolved extrajudicial killings and serious abuses committed during Thaksin's 2003 "war on drugs" and ongoing drug suppression operations by the police.

I have to be honest and applaud Administration for publishing this article which is not easy to swallow for the present government, and others.

What worries me, is the almost deafening silence by other members (more than 28 hours after posting this article) and I think that most, reading this, understand what I mean.

LaoPo

They must be right when they say They say quote "a climate of fear looms over civil discourse and in cyberspace as a result in increasing restrictions on freedom of expression under the Abhisit Government" I just didn't think that would also include posters on Thai Visa.

Not to mention that this Adams has an Agenda too, if he doesn't blow the whistle and keeps blowing it as strong as possible, people might question his qualifications for the Job - remember: "it's ALL about money" or is this Adams a volunteer....it's his Job!

It's really bad here, "cameras, big brother, red tape, Gulags, political prisoners, people disappear on a daily base, everywhere, it's not safe here!"

keep on bathing on your night mares!

Have a nice day with your hero, the 'shrewd and clever' business man, doing all this good to this country!

"human rights watch" is blowing the whistle, but where are they?

Where are they where thay are needed, why are they only being read in the media and by folks who aren't under any thread?

Dafour, PRC, next door, China, Pakistan, Afghanistan....?

Edited by Samuian

Not to mention that this Adams has an Agenda too, if he doesn't blow the whistle and keeps blowing it as strong as possible, people might question his qualifications for the Job - remember: "it's ALL about money" or is this Adams a volunteer....it's his Job!

Here we go - the predictable unsubstantiated and dishonest slur compounded by a personal attack.Shame on you.

Those familiar with HRW will know it has been among the leaders in highlighting Thaksin's abuse of power and human rights abuses.

A damning report indeed, and as the author indicates, its getting worse.

The sad part is that the content is most likely lost on the "oppressors".

Its just how it should be to them.

Fact is , they will be congratulating themselves on a job well done , and looking for further "improvements" next time.

So what has abisit had to say about these Human Rights abuses he is responsible for.

I have not noticed any comment from him or his abusive government.

As a man who enjoyed a privalidged upbringing and spent his informative years in a western democracy, surely he cannot be comfortable with this awful human rights abuse as his legacy, can he?

LaoPo

2 1/2 days now and still very quiet here.... :)

Where are all the Abhisit supporters ?

LaoPo

LaoPo

2 1/2 days now and still very quiet here.... :)

Where are all the Abhisit supporters ?

LaoPo

I think they're in the other thread, bashing the read shirts for their peaceful demonstration. Way too busy to defend their corrupt and human rights abusing PM.

What worries me, is the almost deafening silence by other members (more than 28 hours after posting this article) and I think that most, reading this, understand what I mean. LaoPo
2 1/2 days now and still very quiet here.... :) Where are all the Abhisit supporters ? LaoPo
I think they're in the other thread, bashing the read shirts for their peaceful demonstration. Way too busy to defend their corrupt and human rights abusing PM.

It is rather strange, possibly because even they cannot defend this awfull, disgracefull, corrupt abisit government, in light of this damning, report .

However not suprising because no money in doing so.

I await there arrival as well.

I think you forgot one, though. Surely he has used his incredible PR machine to bamboozle the foreign media and the Human Rights people. They're pretty easy to con, since they aren't so bright.

........goes without saying.

Abihist is ok. Not great, not bad, and does need to work on reigning in the excesses in the military and police. If the chief causes of the countries instability would allow that to happen, but they won't because they want the instability - all the better to get their master's stolen money back.

He's doing an awesome job at ruining the country and it's economy, that's for sure. Thailand already got rid of a lot of the "beach tourists" due to the tsunami (not Abhisit's fault, obviously), but now for example Pattaya's police is cracking down on the bars, effectively driving "sex tourists" to other countries. Abhisit could stop that if he wanted, easily. Whether we like it or not, a big part of Thailand's tourists, if not the majority, are sex tourists. A big percentage of Thailand's money, plus it provides income for huge number of women that would otherwise be unemployed. Anyways, so much for that.

Next, imports. Why such huge taxes on foreign imports? For example, on electric or "green" cars, there's a much higher tax than on regular "polluting cars". Like we need more pollution in Bangkok, right?

Companies like Samsung or Sony (can't remember which, it was in the Bangkok Post a few days ago) are already leaving Thailand for Malaysia, because of the high production costs here, leaving thousands of Thai people unemployed from that company alone.

It's no wonder that a majority of business owners in Bangkok believe the government has failed in its time in office ..and as I read in Bangkok Post today, according to the reputable Dusit Poll, 49% of Thais want a no-confidence motion against the government. That's pretty much half of all Thais.

According to media reports abisit is going to the Human Rights Watch HQ in New York in an effort to explain the lamentable human rights record of him and his corrupt government.

He has already been informed that cakes tins and tea-moneies are not the order of the day there, but knowing abisits grubby politics, old habits die hard.

• 1 month later...

None of the soldiers who committed the atrocities under the Thaksin administration have been brought to justice because they're now responsible for propping up the Abhisit administration.

AFAIK, the Colonel who was behind the body-stacking incident was promoted after the coup and was put in charge of boat-people interception in Rayong... and went on to be the man behind the "boat towing" incident as well.