Police And Cameras

OZEMADE

Last month I purchased a Go Pro Hero Camera and attached it either to my Car or Bike when travelling around the country.

I have been pulled over in the last month on 5 seperate occasions by the Police on 1 trip to Ko Chang, 3 trips to Bangkok and 1 trips to Ayuttaha. On each occasion I was asked what the thing in the car mounted on the dash was, or what was the thing mounted on the front of the bike was.

After they were told that it was a camera and that it recorded what had happened and that it recorded sound, on all occasions I was told to move on. I asked why I had been pulled over and was given no answer except that it was OK to go.

What a great little invention that helps stop the Police corruption. :) Get one, they hate it.

If you have that much hostility towards the Thai police to prompt you to do something this silly, maybe you should go back to your western country. I've never been stopped by the Thai police for anything I did not do, and I find them much better than the petty jerks in America. As for "corruption" what happens here with on-the-spot fines is much better than the petty citation, trip to court, points on your driving record and increased insurance rates that happen at home. Some day you'll piss off the wrong cop with that thing enough, they can ruin your day much more than you can ruin theirs.

Edited by Bobr

As for "corruption" what happens here with on-the-spot fines is much better than the petty citation, trip to court, points on your driving record and increased insurance rates that happen at home. Some day you'll piss off the wrong cop with that thing enough, they can ruin your day much more than you can ruin theirs.

Do you not think that what you are so happy with is part of the recipe for the appalling road accident figures?

Perhaps if some drunk crashes into you just after he had sweetened a cop with 200 baht you might think differently.

I bet the camera dont do <deleted> all when you have been pinged on the Motorway by the police camera/radar...... yes they will send you the piccie, along with the fine, what the car mounted camera will do though is them telling you to move on, rather than sorting the ensuing fine on the spot (at a cheaper rate)..... sounds like a fantastic idea...............NOT.

Edited by Spoonman

I've never been stopped for anything other than bribe money, and this has happened many, many times.

Excellent idea, I will be getting one.

Guy in Western Australia & others have done similar in NSW & Victoria , amazing the fines that were disallowed in Court & charges that have been dropped. Same in california & Texas I remember.

Never been stopped in Patts , BUT, I do carry a Video capable phone with me at all times after what I have seen over the last few years there. Not just Traffic !!

Well done

:)

The road from Ko Chang from Pataya is the main smuggling rout from Cambodia you will probably run into controls in the Pattaya direction.

I have been stopped several times on this rout but also never had to pay, just be polite and you will be on your way.

I've never been stopped for anything other than bribe money, and this has happened many, many times.

What did they do, just stop you and say give me money. !!!!!

come on, tell us a bit more!!!!!!! :)

Some Falangs do brake the road traffic laws. i have and paid the fine.

i dont care if the money goes in the guys pocket, i did wrong. just take it on the chin.

Never been stopped and fined for anything (on the road) i have not done in Thailand in ten years.

From no seat belt to doing 180km on my way to Bangkok. my fault i did it.

Are we all that perfect on the road , dont think so ,

i got a friend and his a crap driver,. (from USA)

speeding in town, running red lights, never stops for people to cross the road, the list goes on and on.

You know what, he thinks its normal and ok to be like this.

just because the Thais do it. it makes it all ok in his mind.

Edited by Firestarter

If you have that much hostility towards the Thai police to prompt you to do something this silly, maybe you should go back to your western country. I've never been stopped by the Thai police for anything I did not do, and I find them much better than the petty jerks in America. As for "corruption" what happens here with on-the-spot fines is much better than the petty citation, trip to court, points on your driving record and increased insurance rates that happen at home. Some day you'll piss off the wrong cop with that thing enough, they can ruin your day much more than you can ruin theirs.

Wow you must not drive much in Thailand or just stay in the city. I travel between Bangkok and my factory in Surin several times a month. I get stopped at least one time each trip. Sometimes they do the same, just checking move on, other times they make things up and want some cash. I actually was happy the one day were the cop just outright said he needs coffee money (i like he said coffee and not tea)

You are right the amount they want is nothing. Im surprised you have problems with the cops in the USA, I never had a problem with them.

What did they do, just stop you and say give me money. !!!!!

come on, tell us a bit more!!!!!!! :)

Some Falangs do brake the road traffic laws. i have and paid the fine.

i dont care if the money goes in the guys pocket, i did wrong. just take it on the chin.

Never been stopped and fined for anything (on the road) i have not done in Thailand in ten years.

From no seat belt to doing 180km on my way to Bangkok. my fault i did it.

Are we all that perfect on the road , dont think so ,

i got a friend and his a crap driver,. (from USA)

speeding in town, running red lights, never stops for people to cross the road, the list goes on and on.

You know what, he thinks its normal and ok to be like this.

just because the Thais do it. it makes it all ok in his mind.

You must be lucky too, or maybe I just get the bad cops. I had one cop tell me that im not allowed to have anything in the back of a pickup but people. I had about 10 bags of product I was taking from our factory to the shipping company. I was nice and just paid the 200 baht. I do go through allot of check points and most of the time just get waved on, but once in awhile I get a cop like this and makes something up, speeding whatever.

No f'ing sh!t!!! Thank you for that! I love riding and driving here. I was under constant stress in the U.S. about tickets, increased insurance, go to jail for more than 20 mph over. And for you idiots that have opinions about that, 120 mph on an empty desert road (but for the radar cop hiding behind a cactus, is not dangerous. If you think it is, you shouldn't do it, but don't preach to me. I've been driving for over 40 years and I drive using my wits, not the rules. As (I think) Winston Churchill said, "Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools." Here, I do not have to sit at a red light in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night purely out of fear of financial ruination. I LOVE riding and driving in this country and take all the negatives that go with it. I am an extremely watchful and careful driver; if I have an accident, it will be unavoidably caused by the other guy, so don't tell me I will kill an innocent person. That's baloney and any skillful and careful driver knows it. And for you naysayers, if I die on my motorcycle at 200 kph, I can only say, "What a way to go!"

Last time I was in the U.S., I got a $120 ticket for pissing in the Nevada desert out in the middle of nowhere. I was standing behind the truck, nothing exposed. The cruising cop, I'm sure, simply noticed how I seemed to be standing there for an extended time contemplating the clouds. Then he skidded in with his siren on (no sh!t!) and confirmed my crime by the unexplainable wet spot on the desert floor. First thing out of his mouth, he screamed loudly in my face, "Why did you piss?" Who needs that fascist bullsh!t?

Last time I was in the U.S., I got a $120 ticket for pissing in the Nevada desert out in the middle of nowhere. I was standing behind the truck, nothing exposed. The cruising cop, I'm sure, simply noticed how I seemed to be standing there for an extended time contemplating the clouds. Then he skidded in with his siren on (no sh!t!) and confirmed my crime by the unexplainable wet spot on the desert floor. First thing out of his mouth, he screamed loudly in my face, "Why did you piss?" Who needs that fascist bullsh!t?

I'm puzzled - where are you supposed to piss in the middle of the desert?

Is there actually a law against pissing?

Back to the camera thing: that's a neat idea!

Second thought: wouldn't a fake one be as effective?

Edited by manarak

I know a truck driver in the UK who was charged with INDECENT EXPOSURE for having a piss behind his truck (no, not in front of a shopping mall either)! I don't know all of the facts but he assured me it was nighttime and nobody was around but the police didn't like his attitude.

Charge was dropped at Magistrate's court as he agreed to be bound over to keep the peace.

Edited by sharecropper

The charge was "Public Urination." He said, "Next time find a public restroom at a rest area or your going to jail." He's got the gun. Typical arrogant U.S. cop exemplified to the max by the Nevada version.

I know a truck driver in the UK who was charged with INDECENT EXPOSURE for having a piss behind his truck (no, not in front of a shopping mall either)! I don't know all of the facts but he assured me it was nighttime and nobody was around but the police didn't like his attitude.

Charge was dropped at Magistrate's court as he agreed to be bound over to keep the peace.

I seem to remember an old British law that was never repealed allowing a wagoner (trucker) to relive himself against the rear wheels of his vehicle.

:D

I seem to remember an old British law that was never repealed allowing a wagoner (trucker) to relive himself against the rear wheels of his vehicle.

Note to self: If in trouble with the law, use Rimmer as my brief, if I'm charged under an obscure 18th century English statute where the penalty is amputation, being pressed to death, hanging, flogging or flinging in stocks" :)

No f'ing sh!t!!! Thank you for that! I love riding and driving here. I was under constant stress in the U.S. about tickets, increased insurance, go to jail for more than 20 mph over. And for you idiots that have opinions about that, 120 mph on an empty desert road (but for the radar cop hiding behind a cactus, is not dangerous. If you think it is, you shouldn't do it, but don't preach to me. I've been driving for over 40 years and I drive using my wits, not the rules. As (I think) Winston Churchill said, "Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools." Here, I do not have to sit at a red light in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night purely out of fear of financial ruination. I LOVE riding and driving in this country and take all the negatives that go with it. I am an extremely watchful and careful driver; if I have an accident, it will be unavoidably caused by the other guy, so don't tell me I will kill an innocent person. That's baloney and any skillful and careful driver knows it. And for you naysayers, if I die on my motorcycle at 200 kph, I can only say, "What a way to go!"

Never heard so much bulls**t in my life. Expert driver, I have heard all this before and they are now 6 feet under. :D:) I like these little fellows they really say all.

[

Let me know when you are out on the road and I will make sure I stay home. You are either a blowhard or a fool, or perhaps both.

I have been using a fake one in the car 3 years now, It,s obvious they dont want their criminal activities being filmed...even the bib at the toll booth backed off when they seen it but there are other methods to scare them off, Just have to use your imagination as maybe 70% of the times your confronted with them they have criminal intent,

I refuse to get involved in the criminal act of handing so called tea money to traffic police here and never will...Paid two tickets in almost four years now.

Have been stopped in Pattaya twice by the BIB. First was going down a one way street going down to Beach Road. Went back to see if there was a sign and there wasn't. Not prepared to cause trouble and paid it at the local police station. 2nd time guilty as hel_l. Had a girl on the back with no helmet. 500 baht into his back pocket and was kind enough to give the TGF on the back a free hat. No complaints. Just be careful to wards the end of the month say 25th onwards as that is when they are on the lookout. If you approach them in a humble attitude it pays dividends. Approach them in any sort of aggressive way you have made a problem for yourself.