Red-Shirt Movement 'At War With Military'

webfact

We are at war with military: Khattiya

Suspended Army officer Maj Gen Khattiya Sawasdipol announced Saturday that he is a leader of the red-shirt movement and is training the movement's fighters for fighting against the military.

He called a radio programme to say that he had not escaped into Malaysia but he went to Hat Yai on Thursday to train the red-shirt people there.

"We are now at war with the military and I appointed myself a leader of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship to fight for democracy and the red-shirt people accepted this," Khattiya said.

He said he will return to Bangkok Saturday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-23

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appointed myself a leader

Says quite a bit about his world view...

So what redshirt will say no to someone this over the edge?

Besides, he now becomes the blunt leading edge and target,

allowing others to fly under the radar a bit more.

I bet Thaksin's little pats on the head n photo-ops helped with this mindset.

This guy wants to win the war, which he has unilaterally declared,

and take Anupongs job as supreme Military honcho.

Always thought he was a loose cannon, and a few rounds short of a full clip.

Now he confirms it. Interestingly he goes to Hat Yai and not Issan looking for backup.

Edited by animatic

"We are now at war with the military and I appointed myself a leader of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship to fight for democracy and the red-shirt people accepted this," Khattiya said.

...so easy to become a leader, just appoint yourself...

Actually the overthrow of the violent and corrupt dictator Thaksin was welcomed, judging by the immediate reaction of the population.

There is no treason in a non-violent coup which overthrows a corrupt dictatorship, unless of course the corrupt dictator wins.

Many would dispute your claim the coup was welcomed by most Thais, but in any case it's completely irrelevant whether it was welcomed or not.

Your second assertion is even more absurd.Again whether the coup was violent or not is irrelevant (although the threat of violence is always implicit).The question is whether the government overthrown by the junta was constitutionally legitimate or not, not whether it was led by a "corrupt dictator" in your usage or the nation's saviour as many others would have it.As a matter of fact in an assessment of Thaksin, I lean more towards your description but again that's completely irrelevant.

The fact that these criminals in a panicky and cowardly way procured post facto pardons for themselves demonstrates that they at least knew very clearly they had committed treason.

I understand this guy is a bit of a psycho, but really can't see him faring too well with this approach.

Might be over sooner than we expected.

If he is from army he should know you never tell enemy what your strategies are, he is a joke and no place to go now. He need to Join Mr. T in Cambodia now

...so easy to become a leader, just appoint yourself...

Yes, that's what they call democracy, didn't you know that?  :):D

This is like being back in Manila, a few years ago. About once a month some military officer would stage a revolt against the government. I used to take pictures from my condo windows of the helicopter gunships circling overhead.

This is a Nation article so take it with some salt. The Nation is famous for setting up the elite against the people. Just to keep out of the arms of the NCC the directors and owners have chosen to sell their sole and independence to the yellow shirts. That is why you do not find any critical note towards courts who apply double standards and no critical note towards people like Prem, Surayud or others.

I suppose that all people who have a democratic mind and who love freedom of speech are at war with the military. Not necessarily a war in which people get killed but at least a intellectual war. It is unforgiving and unacceptable that an institution that should work for the people grabbed power more than the military in any given African banana republic did. Worse it is always to un-seed the people elected by the poor and it seems always to benefit the rich and especially the Chinese Thai minority.

Is there any kind of response from this man on his website regarding these claims? Has he denied The Nations claims? I can't read Thai so all I can do is look at the photos of him looking menacing, along with his 'gun club' looking pals...

Treason.

Firing squad.

End of.

If the firing squad was the response in Thailand for treason then the coup leaders of 2006 would have been executed long ago, along with....oh well better not go there.

But it's not the Thai way.

Quite... however... it is inciting and, in my opinion, counter productive and will not gain much support and will lessen any quality arguements calling for the current set-up to be questioned - Thai people do not want war they want a peaceful existance with a fair and equal election process.