Finally Back After 10 Years. Confused By Ferry.

So after 10 years away from the island and 5 years away from Bangkok I'm coming back next week. I have tickets to arrive at Surat Thani on Feb 10th at 15:35.

Assuming all goes well and I arrive on time, what would be my best choice for ferry at that time? I can't even remember sweating any of this on my last trip. I think we just showed up and went with the flow. Can I do that again or is this something that requires preplanning now?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

Tony

Wlsome back! Seatran ferry runs between Donzac and Nathon. Ferries start at 5 AM and ends at 7 PM. If one foot, just turn up and buy a ticket!

Thanks that's what I did last time. Just wasn't sure about these new ferries. I'll relax and go with the flow. All the best plans in Thailand never work out anyway.

Wlsome back! Seatran ferry runs between Donzac and Nathon. Ferries start at 5 AM and ends at 7 PM. If one foot, just turn up and buy a ticket!

Thanks that's what I did last time. Just wasn't sure about these new ferries. I'll relax and go with the flow. All the best plans in Thailand never work out anyway.

That's for sure! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your help with this. We made it to the island and are enjoying our second day. I got sun burned already.

Had a really nice dinner on the beach at Choeng Mon tonight.

That bus ride to Donsac is a killer. It was so <deleted>' hot on the bus you could hardly breath.

Do any of the other options shorten the bus ride?

Really enjoying the scenery and my stay so far. Only bad part is I brought my Isaan mother-in-law with me. Every time I buy food or spend money she says ... Peng Peng Peng. She'd have me living on 30 baht sausage and sticky rice if it were up to her. I wanted to treat her to a nice vacation but she doesn't seem to know how to vacation. hahahaha.

Well it beats 3 weeks in Mukdahan eh?

Tony

Only bad part is I brought my Isaan mother-in-law with me. Every time I buy food or spend money she says ... Peng Peng Peng. She'd have me living on 30 baht sausage and sticky rice if it were up to her. I wanted to treat her to a nice vacation but she doesn't seem to know how to vacation. hahahaha.

I'd take that over in-laws trying to figure out ways to get me to spend more of my money any day.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Thanks for your help with this. We made it to the island and are enjoying our second day. I got sun burned already.

Had a really nice dinner on the beach at Choeng Mon tonight.

That bus ride to Donsac is a killer. It was so <deleted>' hot on the bus you could hardly breath.

Do any of the other options shorten the bus ride?

Really enjoying the scenery and my stay so far. Only bad part is I brought my Isaan mother-in-law with me. Every time I buy food or spend money she says ... Peng Peng Peng. She'd have me living on 30 baht sausage and sticky rice if it were up to her. I wanted to treat her to a nice vacation but she doesn't seem to know how to vacation. hahahaha.

Well it beats 3 weeks in Mukdahan eh?

Tony

try BKK airways early and late flight cheaper, check airlines out of surat, or try 2nd class sleeper train much better than the bus, but slower but at least you get a good kip

Edited by NALAK

ferrys leave every hr to samui from Donsak. u should not have a problem if u r not kid napped by hat slow 3 hr boat where the tout hang round the station and through u on a bus take u for 1 .30 hrs to a slow boat then 3 hrs.

u need to sneak off find a taxi. get them to take u to the seatran office. in surat. u buy your ticket which inclueds the bus then off to donsak 1.30 minutes straight on the next ferry 1.30 hrs then arrive Natong. get a song tail to where ever u r going. though ripp off taxi prices plus the ferry ticket train ticket. sometimes it is worth biting the bullet and flying straight to samui on the promotion flight. not that much more expensive and u cut out all the b'''' s''t