Americans With Us Visa Knowledge

MagnumForce

Asked this in the appropriate forum but no answer so I thought I'd seek local knowledge, if that's ok with the powers that be.

The local noodle lady asked me if I knew what kind of questions her grandaughter would be asked at the interview stage of her visa application. I'm not a US citizen so I've no idea or experience of this. Can somebody help please? Also, are the questions asked in English or Thai.

Background (from what I can gather)

The girl is 15. Her mother lives in the US with her American husband and they want her to come and live with them in the US. I'm not sure what kind of visa she has applied for but I assume it's some sort of permanent visa to be reunited with her mother.

Thanks for your help.

MF

PS. Don't know why her stepfather hasn't given her this info already. Just trying to help if possible.

tough one as she's just a kid. I only had the experience of my thai husband and so obviously the questions would be different, but generally just to establish the relationship, I would think.

Thanks so far. I imagined that the questions would be relatively straightforward given that she's a young girl and the purpose of her going to the US is to be reunited with her mother. Any info or links on what these questions may consist of an any ideas of roughly how many questions she would be asked? Lastly, do you happen to know if the questions are asked in English or Thai?

Thanks again.

MF

I am not a US citizen but my Thai wife and I own property there, we both have 10 year multi entry visa's. It was not easy to get her visa, the questions were initially asked in English but when requested the guy spoke Thai (All Embassy staff MUST speak the language of the country they are stationed in).

The main concern was to ensure they we were going to return to Thailand, she had to prove her business interests and family ties.

In the case of the 'noodle' ladies grandchild it would be far easier if the application was made on her behalf in the US? In fact it really is the only way forward as she will be asked for proof of relationship a lot will depend on her mothers circumstances.

If for example her mother is there and has citizenship because of her marriage to a US citizen, then it will be relatively straight forward. If her mother is there and has not obtained citizenship then it will be a non starter.

If she applies from Thailand because of her age she will have to show that someone is sponsoring her and provide a verifiable address in the US.

They may even ask who is providing funds for the ticket and may initially insist on a return ticket being produced pending an application to extend the visa once in the US.

Not as easy as it appears!

Hope this helps.