Difference Retirement And "o"

Belgian, 63 y, 800 K in the bank, visa category "O", good for multiple journeys, issued by Royal Thai Consulate Antwerp 080409, last entry at 14 dec 2009.

My immigration office is Arunyaprathet.

With this visa I have to leave the country every three months. I have made a visa run to Cambodia.

My question

A friend of mine, with same age and money in the bank has a retirement visa. He does not have to leave the country.

Actually I thought I had a retirement visa.

What are the differences, advantages between the two systems. Since my office is Arunyaprathet, going to Cambodia for 10 minutes is not a problem. Is that the only difference? I go back to Belgium at least twice a year.

Thanks a lot.

Neither you, or your friend has a "Retirement Visa", the closest to a retirement visa is an "O-A" issued in your own country. Your friend most likely has, or had and "O" Visa, and has applied for an "Extension of Stay" based on retirement. That's why he doesn't have to exit the country every 90 days, but does address reports. If he does exit Thailand, he would need a re-entry permit to keep his extension valid.

I think the biggest advantage with the "Extension of Stay" is you don't have to exit the country every 90 days. For some, the advantage of the Multi-entry, is they can obtain in some locations, without having to show 800,000 Baht in the bank, or proof of income 65,000 Baht per month.

Edited by beechguy

For you the multi entry is probably the best as you have easy access to border and you make several exits each year (which would cost 1,000 each for re-entry permit with extension of stay). At any time, during last 30 days of an entry and having 800k in bank previous two months you can extend for one year if you want.

I agree the OP is doing well doing what he is doing for now. However, it is always possible that the Antwerp consulate will decide to stop granting him one year O visas and tell him, hey you are living in Thailand and over 50, its time for you to apply for a retirement O-A visa or if they know better (they often don't) start getting annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand.

There is a catch though. Someday Thai immigration will no doubt decide to RAISE the financial requirements to obtain extensions based on retirement. It could be tomorrow, it could be 10 years from now. In any case, those ALREADY in the retirement system here will likely be grandfathered in at the CURRENT financial requirement levels. For the OP to continue as he is doing, he risks someday being required to qualify at potentially higher levels.

I agree the OP is doing well doing what he is doing for now. However, it is always possible that the Antwerp consulate will decide to stop granting him one year O visas and tell him, hey you are living in Thailand and over 50, its time for you to apply for a retirement O-A visa or if they know better (they often don't) start getting annual extensions based on retirement in Thailand.

There is a catch though. Someday Thai immigration will no doubt decide to RAISE the financial requirements to obtain extensions based on retirement. It could be tomorrow, it could be 10 years from now. In any case, those ALREADY in the retirement system here will likely be grandfathered in at the CURRENT financial requirement levels. For the OP to continue as he is doing, he risks someday being required to qualify at potentially higher levels.

Actually, the Royal Thai consulate has already raised the amount to 850.000 THB at my last application (08 apr 2009)

Actually, the Royal Thai consulate has already raised the amount to 850.000 THB at my last application (08 apr 2009)

Your info indicates you have don't have an O-A visa, rather a multi-entry O. The requirement for retirement extensions in Thailand is 800K baht at present. You talk about a money requirement that is not related to either an O-A or retirement extension in Thailand so it really isn't relevant. Also, I question whether your consulate issues O-A visas. Usually they are done at embassies.

Edited by Jingthing