New Arrangements For British Passport Services Overseas

There are notices in the consular section and outside the embassy saying you will be able to hand in your application for processing either in Bangkok or send it directly to Hong Kong when the changes come into force.

That's interesting, the Passport Agency have already told me that your cannot send your passport out of your country of residence.

Left hand, right hand springs to mind.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked the lady when I was handing mine in, and she said You can still give the paperwork to the embassy in Bangkok, and they will send it to Hong Kong for you, but YOU have to pay for the courier.

Thanks for the update, no doubt they will bundle all the applications together and split the courier cost between all the applicants - yeh right, and of course you will have to pay for the return delivery.

I for one find it pretty disgusting, but of course there is FA anybody can do about.

By the way "samran" now I am whinging.

haha.

Don't worry, I'm having a similar whinge. The NZ embassy is asking $50 a pop to use the diplomatic pouch for my wifes PP application and my daughters citizenship by descent form. And, before the OZ embassy shifted over to a similar system back in 2003, I got my passport application with about 3 days to spare.

Frankly, none does passports better than Thailand. My Thai PP cost me 1000 baht, took 30 mins to process with only an ID card to show, and is sent to your home 3 days later by courier for 30 baht.

I have just returned from making my sons application for a passport at the embassy, and hopefully can clarify a few things.

1. There are notices in the consular section and outside the embassy saying you will be able to hand in your application for processing either in Bangkok or send it directly to Hong Kong when the changes come into force.

2. I asked the lady when I was handing mine in, and she said You can still give the paperwork to the embassy in Bangkok, and they will send it to Hong Kong for you, but YOU have to pay for the courier.

3. The turn around time remains the same, 10 working days.

So basically no improvement in service, but more cost. That's Gordon Brown's Britain for you. Although hopefully not for many more months.

(thank you stbkk)

Presumably if you give in the paperwork to the British Embassy in BKK they will then issue an official letter to the applicant explaining why he or she is not in possession of a passport.

That would hopefully be sufficient if someone is asked to show their passport to any Thai official etc whilst awaiting the new passport.

Am I correct or not?

Edited by R123

I asked the lady when I was handing mine in, and she said You can still give the paperwork to the embassy in Bangkok, and they will send it to Hong Kong for you, but YOU have to pay for the courier.

Thanks for the update, no doubt they will bundle all the applications together and split the courier cost between all the applicants - yeh right, and of course you will have to pay for the return delivery.

I for one find it pretty disgusting, but of course there is FA anybody can do about.

By the way "samran" now I am whinging.

haha.

Don't worry, I'm having a similar whinge. The NZ embassy is asking $50 a pop to use the diplomatic pouch for my wifes PP application and my daughters citizenship by descent form. And, before the OZ embassy shifted over to a similar system back in 2003, I got my passport application with about 3 days to spare.

Frankly, none does passports better than Thailand. My Thai PP cost me 1000 baht, took 30 mins to process with only an ID card to show, and is sent to your home 3 days later by courier for 30 baht.

Hmm. 3+ years waiting for PR so far. 5+ years waiting before I can even apply for citizenship when (If) I get PR. I'll probably be dead of old age before I have the opportunity to test that one out, Samran!

Thailand - the global model for passport issue ... :)

Now I wait for all the 'hub' jokes, but agree with Samran that Thai passport issue is extremely efficient here and sameday issue is possible.

Hmm. 3+ years waiting for PR so far. 5+ years waiting before I can even apply for citizenship when (If) I get PR. I'll probably be dead of old age before I have the opportunity to test that one out, Samran!

It is an exclusive club mate :)

We take our time in vetting ya. 555555

Seriously, it is a bloody shamozzle. But once you are 'in' its great. Bit like the RSBC!

Anything more than this? What will the price rise to now? How many extra days will it take to process? What additional informatrion will need to be provided (if any)?

Got my Daughters British Passport delivered from Wireless road Bandkok to internal Thailand in 3 days,guess we wont see that speed of service again.