Multi-room Audio Wireless

sillyfools

I currently have music / audiobooks on my server (will move it to a NAS soon probably).

I would want to play different music in different rooms and be able to control it (volume, source, playlist) (preferably through my iphone).

Since I live in a condo, I'd rather not have to put wires in.

What is the cheapest solution (can use second hand material). No small pc that has to be running per room. I'd like to save on power and heat-generation.

I was thinking of some kind of wireless audio receiver/streamer or something. Preferably I'd like to just mount two speakers in the ceiling and put the device behind it.

Anyone has any experience with this?

• 1 month later...

I think the cheapest way to do it would be with some sort of iTunes setup over apple wifi equipment with a few cheap amps.

The best way to do it would be with a Sonos system there is even a native iphone app that controls all of the individual zones exactly as their own hand held controller.

When I was in Taiwan some years ago I bought a small FM radio modulator, it runs from 2x AA batteries and when fed with an audio source (MP3 player or PC) it broadcasts a low power radio signal enough to cover the house and gardens. Tune in normal FM radios to the frequency (tunable on the device) where you want to hear it.

Probably illegal in Thailand as is in many countries, but unless you are causing a problem it is very unlikely that you will be found out etc. Apply common sense.

Getting involved in more high tech solutions normally results in running in wires and speakers being cheaper and better quality.

There are re-distribution systems that use a modulated signal between a base station and satellite speakers using the house's domestic mains wiring to establish contact - but IMHO they are expensive for the sound quality offered.

HTH