Comprehensive List Of Scams In Phuket/thailand.

NamKangMan

Thailand is no different to any other country anywhere, a money collector will have a ID card relating to there organisation, No ID card, no money for them, now i agree they can be fake ID cards, thats different, thats a scam, when was the last time you paid a utility bill to the place that didn't represent that company, same theory!!!

Who make a car or bike payment to joe bloggs on a street corner, if they do and get ripped off, it's stupid bugger not you've been scammed

You think a Thai will be demanding a ID card and proofs out of a monk dressed in their robes ?? If you do you dont know how Thais are ingrained.

And the charity scammers all carry ID, how hard is it to knock that up, they have papers, ID, the works.. As I said it was almost one a week up in the villas. Half the time they even just looked shifty.

The non monks would get sent away, even by the missus.. But false monks presented a special problem.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You think a Thai will be demanding a ID card and proofs out of a monk dressed in their robes ?? If you do you dont know how Thais are ingrained.

And the charity scammers all carry ID, how hard is it to knock that up, they have papers, ID, the works.. As I said it was almost one a week up in the villas. Half the time they even just looked shifty.

The non monks would get sent away, even by the missus.. But false monks presented a special problem.

Sorry again it must be my blondness, but what your point, when have you bought or dealt with some one you don't trust, your telling me you know 100% there frauds, ring the police, don't tell me the police are dressed as monks and in on the caper, do yous all leave common sense in the old country, people think smart not hard, it's better for you in the end

with only one a week, i would presume they are all real.

with only one a week, i would presume they are all real.

Exactly, one a week i don't know how he copes, the poor man

Sorry again it must be my blondness, but what your point, when have you bought or dealt with some one you don't trust, your telling me you know 100% there frauds, ring the police, don't tell me the police are dressed as monks and in on the caper, do yous all leave common sense in the old country, people think smart not hard, it's better for you in the end

Ring the police.. Comedy gold..

You really know how to crack those jokes !!

again you are being very impolite, it's amazing think positive and positive things happen, start thinking positive, i've glanced at your threads and replies, i can see how you attract a negative position, cognative thoughts translate into your opinions, try rethinking your opinion and this will change your thought process. i here you ask whats that got to do with scams, maybe you'll rethink that smoking gun theory

again you are being very impolite, it's amazing think positive and positive things happen, start thinking positive, i've glanced at your threads and replies, i can see how you attract a negative position, cognative thoughts translate into your opinions, try rethinking your opinion and this will change your thought process. i here you ask whats that got to do with scams, maybe you'll rethink that smoking gun theory

I don't think you should criticize others for being impolite. A great many of your posts are nasty and inflammatory. As for advice on how to think, that truly is comedy gold coming from someone who is unable to form a coherent sentence.

Its a thread on scams, so if you dont like reading about scams, then you dont need to read it..

As for a positive mental attitude with Patongs thin brown line.. well had enough experiences getting peoples problems with them solved, including how they tried to cover up the killing of a 15 year farang girl to have my own opinion on who they are.. I know how to use them to an advantage should I need to, and I know to avoid them if I dont, they are essentially a system of purchasing the ability to break the law, and thats about all they are (when someone who had committed murder was caught, I got a phone call by a 3rd party to make it clear 1 mil the murder goes, 100k its manslaughter).. Thai police the finest money can buy.

I also know if you phoned the police to phone in things like this it would be a waste of time.. Why bother anyway.. Just send them on their way.

Its a thread on scams, so if you dont like reading about scams, then you dont need to read it..

As for a positive mental attitude with Patongs thin brown line.. well had enough experiences getting peoples problems with them solved, including how they tried to cover up the killing of a 15 year farang girl to have my own opinion on who they are.. I know how to use them to an advantage should I need to, and I know to avoid them if I dont, they are essentially a system of purchasing the ability to break the law, and thats about all they are (when someone who had committed murder was caught, I got a phone call by a 3rd party to make it clear 1 mil the murder goes, 100k its manslaughter).. Thai police the finest money can buy.

I also know if you phoned the police to phone in things like this it would be a waste of time.. Why bother anyway.. Just send them on their way.

again, whats your point, if i had so much miss trust and was so negative to a cultured, i's be off, can i ask you relating to scams what are the positive things in your life in Thailand, meaning what are the no scams that you contribute to, financial or personnel will do

I am not a winger about people who are genuinely collecting money for a genuine charity and give a genuine receipt .

I object to people who claim to be working for a genuine charity and are putting the money in there own pocket..

You need to get you facts straight and put your mind in gear before you open your mouth.

Thailand is no different to any other country anywhere, a money collector will have a ID card relating to there organisation, No ID card, no money for them, now i agree they can be fake ID cards, thats different, thats a scam, when was the last time you paid a utility bill to the place that didn't represent that company, same theory!!!

Who make a car or bike payment to joe bloggs on a street corner, if they do and get ripped off, it's stupid bugger not you've been scammed

I have never paid a utility bill to anyone claiming to represent a company in Thailand i pay at the 7/11 and get a receipt for it and i pay my bills before they are due.

And i have not done it in any other country.

I do not make statements on this forum and then claim i am a pore defenseless woman/man and expect people to support me.

From your original post on this forum you claimed to be new to Phuket / Asia i suggest you read your own posts you contradict yourself.

People who know me know me know ii am not interested in telling other people what my lifestyle is, my lifestyle is what and i can pay for, anything what i want i can have.

I have no interest in impressing people with (B/S) like you and other people on this forum do , if you tell the truth you allways remember, if you (B/S) you do not..

I never claim to be poor/ well-of or rich like other people who have earned there money the hard way i really do not care what other people think

I have never paid a utility bill to anyone claiming to represent a company in Thailand i pay at the 7/11 and get a receipt for it and i pay my bills before they are due.

And i have not done it in any other country.

I do not make statements on this forum and then claim i am a pore defenseless woman/man and expect people to support me.

From your original post on this forum you claimed to be new to Phuket / Asia i suggest you read your own posts you contradict yourself.

People who know me know me know ii am not interested in telling other people what my lifestyle is, my lifestyle is what and i can pay for, anything what i want i can have.

I have no interest in impressing people with (B/S) like you and other people on this forum do , if you tell the truth you allways remember, if you (B/S) you do not..

I never claim to be poor/ well-of or rich like other people who have earned there money the hard way i really do not care what other people think

again exactly, your answering your own reply, you get a receipt, you trust the person you pay, i, please i sent the moderator a curtasy email explaining my personal background, i am nether poor or defenceless, but clearly in your opinion that would make me a lessor person.

confidence is not B/S, goals and aspirations a dirty word to you then, money doesn't make you happy, happy makes you happy, borrow and buy some happiness

QUOTE (Ping @ 2010-02-03 09:32:13) Re the lady drink business - I have no problem with them taking no alcohol in their drinks - a lot of them are non-drinkers (and I'm sure that most of them started out that way). They have to drink alcohol to get their cut (usually anything from 30 to 70 baht per drink, depending on the bar policy). If I wander in to a bar and buy one of the staff a lady drink, I make it clear that I will pay the lady drink price even if they only want pineapple juice without the Malibu. Quite often they gratefully accept the offer. I don't see anything good in forcing the girls to drink alcohol (in order for them to get some money together to send home) when they don't really want to. I have no problem paying the lady drink price, and those who really know and understand how and why things work the way they do would agree with me. Of course, your typical ten day tourist or deep-pocketed short-armed expat (aka kee niaow) would never understand...

would you give them 2000 baht but not take them home with you?

afterall I dont see anything good in forcing the girls to do the hanky panky in order for them to get some money together to send home! :)

afterall I dont see anything good in forcing the girls to do the hanky panky in order for them to get some money together to send home! :)

555....I can't think of many here that would need forcing to go with you for 2000 baht! Especially now in Low Season.

I can take you to many wine bars in the UK and a night out with the girls, what makes the Thai girls look tame.

Yes, of course you could. :)

Why are you pretending to be a woman and overdoing the poor written English routine? You do sound very similar to a chap that used to post on this board who used the same patois...:D

Yeah nights out in UK 'wine bars' end up in semi public orgies all the time :D

Just the same back home..

Case in point.. My mother came here to try to live.. Your typical older lady, very trusting, sees good in everyone etc..

It was a disaster, she was constantly ripped off, given insane prices for things, knocked off a bike and blamed for it, heavily threatened by aggressive sellers once, etc etc. She got so freaked out by everything it was borderline nervous breakdown, scared to go out, scared to talk to people etc. Sadly many people sense fear and nervousness and take advantage, 200 baht slices of watermelon spring to mind etc.

Of course, she should have asked for every price first, she should have been guarded and careful, she should know to watch every petrol pump, but she didnt and to suggest its like that everywhere simply isnt true. She wasnt used to it, and it was too much for her. 9 months later she left soured by the whole thing.

Sorry to hear about this LivingLOS. It is exactly what I was talking about, in a previous post.

Rather than treating customers well, they go for the short term rip-off/scam and leave the customer dissatisfied, dejected, and sometimes, angry. How many people will your mother tell of her negative experience? She would still be living here, contributing to the local economy, and to the Thai economy, had she not been taken advantage of. Instead, she may never return.

Tourist are only a short term financial gain. Have expats frequent your business and you make money from them, year after year after year and expats tell other expats of good quality, or service, at particular businesses. It's very short sight by the scammers who are hurting the Phuket economy through the bad publicity that their actions generate.

Of course, in order to protect herself, your mother could have been more vigilant, but, does this make for a relaxing time in your retirement and twilight years, not really. You have to be always conscious of where the next scam is going to come from here. For most expats, it's second nature to us now, and that's why I think many on this forum would say they do not get scammed, because they have now put in place practices to avoid the scam.

Once again, as the OP, the purpose of this thread was to learn about the new scams so not to be caught by them.

Of course, in order to protect herself, your mother could have been more vigilant, but, does this make for a relaxing time in your retirement and twilight years, not really. You have to be always conscious of where the next scam is going to come from here. For most expats, it's second nature to us now, and that's why I think many on this forum would say they do not get scammed, because they have now put in place practices to avoid the scam.

For me thats a far greater loss than any monetary loss.. The way you have to maintain a certain level of initial distrust.

In my first few years here I went out of my way to befriend Thais, thinking to integrate and become accepted. Of course there were small loans, various requests, lessons learnt. Over time you end up feeling like theres an us and them wedge, that I wish didnt exist, but seems to. I only have to let my guard down a little to be reminded of it.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about this LivingLOS. It is exactly what I was talking about, in a previous post.

Rather than treating customers well, they go for the short term rip-off/scam and leave the customer dissatisfied, dejected, and sometimes, angry. How many people will your mother tell of her negative experience? She would still be living here, contributing to the local economy, and to the Thai economy, had she not been taken advantage of. Instead, she may never return.

Tourist are only a short term financial gain. Have expats frequent your business and you make money from them, year after year after year and expats tell other expats of good quality, or service, at particular businesses. It's very short sight by the scammers who are hurting the Phuket economy through the bad publicity that their actions generate.

Once again, as the OP, the purpose of this thread was to learn about the new scams so not to be caught by them.

Can i ask, and i really shouldn't, why oh why are you allowing your dear old mother on a bike, i think the term "prevention is better then cure" fits well, my god statistically there are more deaths via crashes in Thailand then other countries put together.

strange behaviour for sure!!!

Can i ask, and i really shouldn't, why oh why are you allowing your dear old mother on a bike, i think the term "prevention is better then cure" fits well, my god statistically there are more deaths via crashes in Thailand then other countries put together.

strange behaviour for sure!!!

It was was the mother of LivinLOS, not my mother. You have quoted the wrong person.

In any case, I think it's comendable that a person of more years is adventurous enough to get on a motor scooter in a foreign country. It's a shame she most likely got ripped off/scammed when hiring the bike, and when she took it back, probably got the old "you scratch bike - have to pay 2000 baht" routine.

Again i agree, i couldn't see my mother on a kids scooter never mind a 125cc, please i'm being devils advocate, but is that the same as "i think it's commendable that a child plays with matched or knifes", i know ones a adult and one a child, but surely a care of duty must apply.

Fact is I wanted her to live down on the south, where it feels safer and less confrontational.. And a car is much easier.. But she insisted on living close to where I lived, at the time Patong, Got her a beautiful house above blue point, out of town a tiny bit, superb sea views and safe and quiet.

But in Patong, every square inch is claimed by someone, you pretty much cant use a car for day to day use around town, as people come out shouting at you almost everywhere you park, its all someones turf. So unless the car journey is jungceylon car park to your driveway, a bike becomes the only way to get about town.

BTW shes only late 50's.. Not some 80 year old..

Edited by LivinLOS

Fact is I wanted her to live down on the south, where it feels safer and less confrontational.. And a car is much easier.. But she insisted on living close to where I lived, at the time Patong, Got her a beautiful house above blue point, out of town a tiny bit, superb sea views and safe and quiet.

But in Patong, every square inch is claimed by someone, you pretty much cant use a car for day to day use around town, as people come out shouting at you almost everywhere you park, its all someones turf. So unless the car journey is jungceylon car park to your driveway, a bike becomes the only way to get about town.

BTW shes only late 50's.. Not some 80 year old..

I simple have to disagree, the only trouble driving in patong is the road systems, when it rains, the drainage and that crazy wrong way one way system, but i've never been shouted out, my car is a very nice classic, i know not to drive via the pot holed roads, avoid that back road , i've found a smile and a thank you works wonders.

I use a little honda click as well, i call it the name of my ex, so i make it work hard, LOL

QUOTE (Ping @ 2010-02-03 09:32:13) Re the lady drink business - I have no problem with them taking no alcohol in their drinks - a lot of them are non-drinkers (and I'm sure that most of them started out that way). They have to drink alcohol to get their cut (usually anything from 30 to 70 baht per drink, depending on the bar policy). If I wander in to a bar and buy one of the staff a lady drink, I make it clear that I will pay the lady drink price even if they only want pineapple juice without the Malibu. Quite often they gratefully accept the offer. I don't see anything good in forcing the girls to drink alcohol (in order for them to get some money together to send home) when they don't really want to. I have no problem paying the lady drink price, and those who really know and understand how and why things work the way they do would agree with me. Of course, your typical ten day tourist or deep-pocketed short-armed expat (aka kee niaow) would never understand...

No to me you sound like someone who comes to Thailand for cheap booze and sex which you could not afford in your home country

and save up all year to do it, and then spend all your time in Bangla Road then tell people you are an expert on Thailand, you pay for

what you get and you could not afford to do it in your home country so it is not a scam.

No to me you sound like someone who comes to Thailand for cheap booze and sex which you could not afford in your home country

and save up all year to do it, and then spend all your time in Bangla Road then tell people you are an expert on Thailand, you pay for

what you get and you could not afford to do it in your home country so it is not a scam.

well said, exactly my point of view, the girls have something the guys want,the same guys they really don't need it, so there being sold to on emotion not logic and they fall for it. when the boys hand there hard earned cash over, they negotiated a deal and until they sober up think it's value for money. basic principles of sales, Thai people would make fantastic sales people in the world, they never know when to stop asking, faranfgare conditioned from childhood to except no"mum can i have a icecream "no", can i have sweets "no" etc

so 100% agree, no scam!!!!!

You seem to have trouble understanding the difference between a commercial transaction, with which both sides are in agreement with, and a scam where one side is tricked into something they did not agree to and would not willingly do.

Its a simple concept but hey..

You seem to have trouble understanding the difference between a commercial transaction, with which both sides are in agreement with, and a scam where one side is tricked into something they did not agree to and would not willingly do.

Its a simple concept but hey..

again please, if a guy wakes up with a young lady after having agreed a price that a sale not a scam, can i ask what do you think happens in the world every second of every day, "nothing happens until a sales takes place" that in the whole world,

Unless i read it wrong, the guys are a willing customer, a girls are a willing client and they've negotiated a price, ca ching!!!! , who's getting scammed then, in the rest of the world call girls would be on fortunes if they looked like thai girls, so arn't the Thai girl getting scammed off farang

passive intelligent

again please, if a guy wakes up with a young lady after having agreed a price that a sale not a scam, can i ask what do you think happens in the world every second of every day, "nothing happens until a sales takes place" that in the whole world,

Unless i read it wrong, the guys are a willing customer, a girls are a willing client and they've negotiated a price, ca ching!!!! , who's getting scammed then, in the rest of the world call girls would be on fortunes if they looked like thai girls, so arn't the Thai girl getting scammed off farang

passive intelligent

I am in no way talking about P4P (its not an allowed topic anyway)..

I am talking about bill stuffing for drinks that were never ordered, the touts with drinks at 10x the normal rates, scams like that.