Comprehensive List Of Scams In Phuket/thailand.

NamKangMan

Well, after having spent 18 years in Thailand, and having employed hundreds of Thai people in the course of the years, I really do not have the impression Thai people are less honest than westerners.

Well I've been here 10 years and have also employed hundreds of Thais and I think you have GOT to be joking. Whilst there are miscreants in every country here in Thailand it is endemic - maybe they teach how to cheat, lie & scam at school?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai people would make fantastic sales people in the world

No they wouldn't. Take a Thai out of the bubble of Lalaland and the only thing that would shine would be a supernova of galactic ignorance. Low-life Somchai's/Lekchai's scamming the tourists/incumbent inmates, does not automatically mean that Thais would make good salespersons in the real world.

Let's face it, with an education system whereby it is impossible for the teacher to fail a student and where cheating is not punished (thereby silently endorsing it), people actually admire cheats that get away with it.

When a cheat actually gets caught, the fault is getting caught, not the cheating per se.

Thai people would make fantastic sales people in the world

Are we living in the same country?

I considere them the worst.

Go to a store, where you bought something before, ask the girl behind the counter where it is, she says "mai me" until you go look for and find it yourself after some searching. Go back and say: "mai me, huh?" and she just shrugs her shoulders (while looking in her mirror)

Granted, i like that they care how they look as they do look good, but as salespeople? The worst i've seen.

Give them a commission instead of a salary so that they care a little about the sale.

They could be good, they've got the smile, looks, and plenty of product that requires us to come back for more, so sales could be brisk.

But instead, i find myself doing more shopping on ebay and having it sent here rather than going looking for it.

A week ago, i went to Home pro for a latch. I counted 17 sales people in one isle who were doing nothing. No one waited on me and when i asked, they all said mai me! Found it myself. THAT WAS ONLY IN ONE AISLE!

Ok, it's not a scam but the opposite: they have what you want, but are too lazy to help you find it.

Rant over. but "best sales people in the world" Surely you joke.

Edited by fiddlehead
  • Like 1

Well, after having spent 18 years in Thailand, and having employed hundreds of Thai people in the course of the years, I really do not have the impression Thai people are less honest than westerners.

Well I've been here 10 years and have also employed hundreds of Thais and I think you have GOT to be joking. Whilst there are miscreants in every country here in Thailand it is endemic - maybe they teach how to cheat, lie & scam at school?

Interesting reply, what type of business are you in, cant be the building business they mainly employ Myanmar there, Maybe you own a chain of hotels.

The people i know who employ Thai people( not hundreds) and pay them a decent wage and treat there employees well have very loyal, trustworthy

employees, of course you get the odd one out but that happens all over the world.

again please, if a guy wakes up with a young lady after having agreed a price that a sale not a scam, can i ask what do you think happens in the world every second of every day, "nothing happens until a sales takes place" that in the whole world,

Unless i read it wrong, the guys are a willing customer, a girls are a willing client and they've negotiated a price, ca ching!!!! , who's getting scammed then, in the rest of the world call girls would be on fortunes if they looked like thai girls, so arn't the Thai girl getting scammed off farang

passive intelligent

I am in no way talking about P4P (its not an allowed topic anyway)..

I am talking about bill stuffing for drinks that were never ordered, the touts with drinks at 10x the normal rates, scams like that.

I agree.

It appears to me that there are many expats in Phuket, who have posted on this topic, who are under the belief that, if you know it's a scam, and you are scammed by it, then that's your fault, or it's not a scam at all. Thus, transfering the responsibilty to the consumer.

A common example is the one just mentioned, a "Lady Drink." You know there will be no alcohol in the drink, but, you are being charged for alcohol in the drink. I'll buy the Lady Drink anyway, alcohol or not, but why lie and try to deceive me that it does have alcohol in it, when it doesn't. Why not have "non-alcoholic lady drinks" for the same commission. I wouldn't have a problem with it, just be honest and don't lie to me. It is this "honesty" and "transparency" in business that is sadly lacking across many industries in Phuket.

The other example mentioned recently is the bill padding. Many expats believe that if you run a bill, and then find the bill has been padded when comes time to pay, then, this is your fault. It may be, because you didn't pay as you go, but, what about the dishonest and criminal scam being run out of that bar? Why is it the victim's fault? They were always going to pay for what they have consumed.

Just because you know you are going to be scammed, and therefore allow for it, or accept it, doesn't make it right. Most expats accept scams happen, everywhere here, and we do our best to avoid them, but, if we are the victim of one, why do many view it as the victim's fault?

Most expats would be happy with the current knowledge they have on the existing scams going around these days, thus, they can avoid them or minimise their impact, but, once again, the purpose of this post was to make everyone aware of the new scams popping up, because they do evolve.

Edited by NamKangMan

I see a pattern emerging here.

There are posters who have been here a while that know the scams and the "way of the Somchai"...and I have to agree with most of what they have said. They have learnt well.

On the other hand, there are a few posters that have signed up recently, which I assume means they have been in Phuket a short time and are still "learning" the "ways of the Somchai".

Consider Phuket an education. You Freshman arrive full of hope, positive energy and enthusiasm. Many of you will fail. Many of you will learn from your mistakes. A few of you will be rehashing the very lessons that are being given to you in this thread in 2 or 3 years...if you make it.

Edited by cdnvic
Removed comment deemed overly derrogatory towards Thais. While there are many scammers and con artists in Phuket, they come from all over the world, not just Thailand.

I edited out part of one post which I believed to be overly derogatory towards Thais, and deleted one post that was simply arguing with the removed section of the previous post. Please be careful to avoid stereotyping a any race or nationality of people. It isn't conducive to a sensible discussion of the subject.

Thanks

Careful DLock. You are defaming all Thais by suggesting that none is trustworthy. I believe that is against Forum rules.

Besides, it is patently false. Probably, you spend most of your time in the ex-pat bar zones and have never lived in a mainstream Thai community or had normal (i.e., unbought) relationships with Thais.

There are good and bad among the Thais, but most are honest and respectful toward foreigners.

My opinion is based on 30 years of living in this country, having visited every province and lived in provinical towns as well as Bangkok. And speaking the language well.

You might wish to share with the Forum what your negative experiences have been that have so jaded your opinion of your hosts (if you still live here).

And, while you're at it, explain why you would live in a country in which you don't trust the locals?

It seems that only a fool or a criminal would do so.

I expected such a response by some Thailand know-it-all "veteran".

Firstly, how do I defame all Thais by saying I don't trust them? i don't. I don't trust you either. In fact, having lived in Thailand 12 years, I don't trust anyone. It has saved me countless problems.

Secondly, if you actually read my post, you will note I said PHUKET. If you trust Thais in Phuket and think they are honest and respectful of foreigners, then clearly you have been here far too long and gone feral.

Thirdly, I live way up in the mountains in Chiang Mai - your assumption that I "spend most of my time in the ex-pat bar zones and have never lived in a mainstream Thai community or had normal (i.e., unbought) relationships with Thais" says a lot more about you than it does about me. I don't go to bars and I'm happily married and speak better Thai that you, but nice attempt to discredit me. Fail.

Your assertion that I am a fool or criminal because I live in a country where I don't trust the locals? That logic makes perfect sense.

Edited by LivinginKata
Flame removed

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine recently visited me in Phuket. He has been here before, several times, and is experienced in the whole Thai scene. He flew in for a 10 day holiday. He flies with a budget airline out of, and back into, Australia. His luggage is always spot on 15kgs.

When he checked his baggage in Australia - 15kgs - welcome aboard.

When he checked his baggage in to leave Phuket - 16kgs -"You have to pay a fee because you are 1 kg over."

Now, this guy assures me he didn't do any shopping and there was nothing extra in his suitcase. In fact, as we discussed over the phone, if anything, he should be a few grams under as he used shampoo, aftershave, toothpaste and dare I say, condoms. All of which I know do not weigh much, but, technically, there sould have been less weight in his suitcase.

He is not Cheap Charlie and didn't make a big deal out of it and paid the small extra baggage fee (he doesn't travel with a carry-on) but, he did say his suitcase is definately 15kgs, not 16kgs. He then went on to tell me that the young Thai girl behind the check-in counter told him that the budget airline didn't "run" the scales, some sort of Thai Airport Company did. I forget their name.

Is it possible that every tourist, and now I am thinking first time tourist who shop a lot, are getting ripped off an extra kilo, not by an airline, who they may grumble about, but by a Thai Company?

For one person, a couple of hudred baht is nothing, and raises no complaint, but, multiply that by hundreds of thousands of passengers and that's a big earner. Once again, if my friend is to be believed, and there is no reason why he shouldn't be, it would appear a systematic form of rip off, at the highest level, is operating out of Phuket Airport.

I told him next time he comes over to try to pack 14kgs and not 15kgs and see what happens.

Anyone else had a similar experience at Phuket Airport?

Edited by NamKangMan

it would appear a systematic form of rip off, at the highest level, is operating out of Phuket Airport.

one, possible, experience of this, so there is a systematic rip off?

A friend of mine recently visited me in Phuket. He has been here before, several times, and is experienced in the whole Thai scene. He flew in for a 10 day holiday. He flies with a budget airline out of, and back into, Australia. His luggage is always spot on 15kgs.

When he checked his baggage in Australia - 15kgs - welcome aboard.

When he checked his baggage in to leave Phuket - 16kgs -"You have to pay a fee because you are 1 kg over."

Now, this guy assures me he didn't do any shopping and there was nothing extra in his suitcase. In fact, as we discussed over the phone, if anything, he should be a few grams under as he used shampoo, aftershave, toothpaste and dare I say, condoms. All of which I know do not weigh much, but, technically, there sould have been less weight in his suitcase.

He is not Cheap Charlie and didn't make a big deal out of it and paid the small extra baggage fee (he doesn't travel with a carry-on) but, he did say his suitcase is definately 15kgs, not 16kgs. He then went on to tell me that the young Thai girl behind the check-in counter told him that the budget airline didn't "run" the scales, some sort of Thai Airport Company did. I forget their name.

Is it possible that every tourist, and now I am thinking first time tourist who shop a lot, are getting ripped off an extra kilo, not by an airline, who they may grumble about, but by a Thai Company?

For one person, a couple of hudred baht is nothing, and raises no complaint, but, multiply that by hundreds of thousands of passengers and that's a big earner. Once again, if my friend is to be believed, and there is no reason why he shouldn't be, it would appear a systematic form of rip off, at the highest level, is operating out of Phuket Airport.

I told him next time he comes over to try to pack 14kgs and not 15kgs and see what happens.

Anyone else had a similar experience at Phuket Airport?

I have had a similar experience at Perth airport, i phoned Thai airways about excess luggage and was told it cost $2.30 aud a kilo.

I was 9kg over my allowance and had to pay at the Quantas counter who charged me$23.00 aud a kilo.

Teling them what Thai airways quoted be made no difference

So what i thought would cost me 559 baht ended up costing 5589 baht.

It can happen anywhere and i wish i had been only 1kg over.

Beginning to really dislike Tesco's!

Following on from my last post complaining about how they charged 125 baht for chicken breasts when the market charged 90 baht (nearly 40% more!), I came down with a tummy 'bug' the other day that boiled down to being in a lot of stomach pain.

As I had to go to Tesco's (Chalong) anyway, I went to the pharmacist there to ask for pain killers that were easy on the stomach. Of the 2 women behind the counter, one completely ignored me whilst the other looked uninterested - but wandered off and came back with a pink liquid. I read the label which said it was an antacid, so I told her I didn't have stomach acid, I was in pain and needed a pain killer. So she wandered off again and came back with tablets. Unfortunately the label and leaflet were only in Thai so I asked her "painkiller?" and she told me "yes".

At this point the other girl behind the counter became vaguely animated to look up the price, but still didn't deign to look at me.

Got back home and looked it up on the internet only to find it was an antacid in tablet form.......

Not a scam as such, but find a good pharmacist (I normally use a good pharmacist in Rawai, but was in pain and trying to cut my trip short - bad mistake) and don't expect the same competence (or care) from the pharmacist at Chalong Tesco pharmacy!

You pay more for your chicken at Tescos because they take the trouble to refridgerate it and that costs money. It would appear you prefer your chicken from an unknown source which probably got contaminated with salmonella because of no refridgeration hence the stomock bug. Try putting two and two together.

blue book for car/green book for bike. its the title. if you dont have it in your name, its not your vehicle. even if you have reciept you have payed it in full

As you can see from KB's comment the blue book is extremely important. If you have a car on finance the finance company will hold the blue book until such time as you clear the finance. I think the procedure is if you buy a 2nd hand car you get the owner to sign a form transferring ownership & you should have that plus the blue book to take to the vehicle registration department where they will then enter your name as the owner. Do not let them say they will take care of it.

It appears like the blue/green book is the equivilent to vehicle registration papers in Australian and other countries. Probably a stupid question, but, can the OP with this problem say the book was lost/stolen/damaged and have them print up a new one for him? Also, what is the purpose of a Thai salesman handing over the car, but not the blue book. What is the scam? Does he then go to police and say the car was stolen, or is it a stolen car that has been "rebirthed" that he is selling?

I agree, Do not let them say they will take care of it. Do not let the 2nd hand car salespeople say that they will take care to transfer the registration / blue book into your name!

It happened to me, paid for the car, got the invoice, gave them all my documents to put the blue book into my name (signed passport, immigration address paper) but I did not get the blue book from them until several years, several lawyers and lots of other inofficial pressure later.

So what's the scam, what's the story? They had borrowed money from the bank on the car and the blue book was held by the bank, they took my money, gave me the car, but they did not use my money to clear the finance with the bank, so they could not give me the blue book or put it into my name ...

Their excuses were various lies to buy time, such as the previous owner is overseas and can't sign the transfer papers until he gets back, I told them fine we'll get a lawyer and the owner signs a POA, couriers it back to the the lawyer to do the transfer for him, next lie was that the ID card of the previous owner expired and he can't renew it from overseas and can't transfer the car without the valid ID, over the years and months they came up with all kinds of lies, or just promised that it would be done on X date, to buy time.

The annual registration was due and they renewed it for me for free two times so that I could continue using the car, seems they could do that and they also paid the 3rd party insurance on it.

My problem was I could not sell the car, I could not have driven it overseas, and I didn't feel it was mine and so I didn't feel like making improvements, doing expensive maintenance, adding stuff, which is a shame.

So, have the blue book physically in your hands when you pay and don't give it back.

Edited by g00dgirl

Peter, you're talking about the prices for excess luggage, Namkengman is talking about the scales not being correct. Completey different situation.

Depends on whose scales are accurate yours or the airports.

I know for a fact at Perth airport i have been over on my checked luggage but i had no hand luggage so i was not charged excess luggage.

it would appear a systematic form of rip off, at the highest level, is operating out of Phuket Airport.

one, possible, experience of this, so there is a systematic rip off?

If the company who is in control of freight and baggage at Phuket Airport have calibrated their scales to read 1 kg more than the actual weight, is that not "a system" in place to deceive and obtain more money from passenger, thus, "systematic?"

Again, the facts are, my mate check-in 15 kgs on the scales in Australia. He came to Phuket and assures me he did not buy any clothes, souvenirs etc etc. I asked several time - "You must have bought something?" He insisted he did not.

Now, the scales may just be in need of a calibration, but still, to be 1 kg out, is a lot.

Apparently the company run all the scales for all the airlines, not, Airasia run their scales, Thai Airways run their scales etc etc.

Anyway, they got a few baht out of him - but, like I said, over hundreds of thousands of passengers, most of which are shopping tourist, that's a big earner, if they are dodgy.

On my next visa run, I will throw my bag on my scales at home before I go to the airport and see for myself, but, I have no reason to doubt my friend.

Peter, you're talking about the prices for excess luggage, Namkengman is talking about the scales not being correct. Completey different situation.

Depends on whose scales are accurate yours or the airports.

I know for a fact at Perth airport i have been over on my checked luggage but i had no hand luggage so i was not charged excess luggage.

This is my point. The scales in Australia read 15 kgs - I doubt any airline scales will ever read under the actual weight or round down, if he started with 16 kgs. In fact, that would be quite dangerous for air safety. So, I'm tending to think the Australian scales are/were acturate.

However, the scales at Phuket Airport read 16 kgs for the exact same contents and my friend had to pay a small fee.

As mentioned before, he is insistant he did not buy and pack anything extra.

This is my point. The scales in Australia read 15 kgs - I doubt any airline scales will ever read under the actual weight or round down, if he started with 16 kgs. In fact, that would be quite dangerous for air safety. So, I'm tending to think the Australian scales are/were acturate.

However, the scales at Phuket Airport read 16 kgs for the exact same contents and my friend had to pay a small fee.

Did he read the scales himself, he is allowed 7kg hand luggage which he did not have.

I have been over weight with my checked luggage twice at Perth airport about3/4kg and

was not charged excess because i had no carry on board luggage, maybe they did the same

think with your friend, in no way would this effect air safety.

They may not make the same allowance at Phuket airport and i doubt the scales are not

accurate that could effect air safety.

Did he read the scales himself, he is allowed 7kg hand luggage which he did not have.

I have been over weight with my checked luggage twice at Perth airport about3/4kg and

was not charged excess because i had no carry on board luggage, maybe they did the same

think with your friend, in no way would this effect air safety.

They may not make the same allowance at Phuket airport and i doubt the scales are not

accurate that could effect air safety.

My mate travels lite. He has no carry-on because he doesn't need it. In Australia, his bag weighed 15 kgs. At Phuket Airport, the same bag and contents weighed 16 kgs.

There is no way the Australian scales would say 15 kgs when his bag weighed 16 kgs - this would be dangerous to air safety.

When the girl told him he was 16 kgs, he looked at the scales and it displayed 16 kgs. He was surprised at this, hence, our telephone conversation about it.

My point is, it has nothing to do with the cost of excess baggage, but as to whether the scales at Phuket Airport are calibrated to read 1 kg more, for everyone, everytime.

My mate travels lite. He has no carry-on because he doesn't need it. In Australia, his bag weighed 15 kgs. At Phuket Airport, the same bag and contents weighed 16 kgs.

There is no way the Australian scales would say 15 kgs when his bag weighed 16 kgs - this would be dangerous to air safety.

When the girl told him he was 16 kgs, he looked at the scales and it displayed 16 kgs. He was surprised at this, hence, our telephone conversation about it.

My point is, it has nothing to do with the cost of excess baggage, but as to whether the scales at Phuket Airport are calibrated to read 1 kg more, for everyone, everytime.

400 passangers in a jumbo, one kg wrong on each passangers baggage, thats 400 kg wrong, dangerous to air safety???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

these scales have a tough job, scaling thousands of time a day. either one could be 7% wrong, or your friends bag could contain a wet towel scaling in Phuket

There are scams in OZ and scams in Phuket, but this one a scam?? :rolleyes:

Iceman:

If you are so intent on proving a scam at Phuket airport, you need not wait until your next visa run.

Just take an item of known weight (e.g., a 10 kg bag of rice) and go to the airport at a time when it is not too busy at the check-in counter.

Place the bag of rice on the scales of different airlines and check the result.

Case closed.

Iceman:

If you are so intent on proving a scam at Phuket airport, you need not wait until your next visa run.

Just take an item of known weight (e.g., a 10 kg bag of rice) and go to the airport at a time when it is not too busy at the check-in counter.

Case closed.

good idea, but 10 kg bag of rice can be 11 kg due to humidity, so any other certain weight. The scales are probably most correct in the 15-40 kg range

400 passangers in a jumbo, one kg wrong on each passangers baggage, thats 400 kg wrong, dangerous to air safety???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

these scales have a tough job, scaling thousands of time a day. either one could be 7% wrong, or your friends bag could contain a wet towel scaling in Phuket

Based on your calculations, if an airline is 400 kgs incorrect on there take off weight, and you don't think that is/could be an issue - ok. BUT, I'm sure 400 kgs, that don't really exist, is a good money spinner.

On visa runs, I don't take much at all, so, it's never been an issue for me, but, I will now check it out and let everyone know.

As far as a "wet towel" - his hotel has towels in the room, changed every day, so, definately not a wet towel in his bag.

Iceman:

Case closed.

Read again!!!!

The same Thai Company runs ALL of the scales - not the different airlines.

Anyway, on my next visa run, I will weigh my bag, on my own scales at home (yes - I am a fat bastard and need to keep an eye on my weight) and let everyone know what happened. No need for rice.

Iceman:

Case closed.

Read again!!!!

The same Thai Company runs ALL of the scales - not the different airlines.

Anyway, on my next visa run, I will weigh my bag, on my own scales at home (yes - I am a fat bastard and need to keep an eye on my weight) and let everyone know what happened. No need for rice.

The same company may provide the scales, but when you pay excess, you pay it to the airline.

Based on your calculations, if an airline is 400 kgs incorrect on there take off weight, and you don't think that is/could be an issue - ok. BUT, I'm sure 400 kgs, that don't really exist, is a good money spinner.

On visa runs, I don't take much at all, so, it's never been an issue for me, but, I will now check it out and let everyone know.

As far as a "wet towel" - his hotel has towels in the room, changed every day, so, definately not a wet towel in his bag.

If one kg wrong scale on luggage would be a safety issue, every airline would need to scale their passangers too, before and after having Burger King in airport or drinking one litre of water (yes, thats one kg)

I can understand the thought of scam for an Airline charging for only one kg overweight, personally I would have removed one kg from my checked in luggage. Or just hold the foot under the scale to adjust to 14 kg.

I can not understand a customer not accepting the scale in OZ or in Phuket is 1 kg incorrect, if any of them ever where. We are all happy your personal home scale is more correct.

If exactly the same items where in the suitcase, 7% increase of weight could be due to dirty humid clothes.

You have developed your scam thread to a joke, not containing any scams any more:jap:

Not sure if this can be considered a scam but could certainly have deadly serious consequences. I have often thought about driving on a fairly lonely road at night to be confronted with an accident scene & upon stopping to assist you get rushed by a group who demand your valuables. If you are lucky you drive away intact. Does this happen in Phuket? I am 100% sure it does.

Not sure if this can be considered a scam but could certainly have deadly serious consequences. I have often thought about driving on a fairly lonely road at night to be confronted with an accident scene & upon stopping to assist you get rushed by a group who demand your valuables. If you are lucky you drive away intact. Does this happen in Phuket? I am 100% sure it does.

yes, there have been a few reports on road accidents (light rearending) after midnight followed by robbery, most in the bypass/chao Fa west close to Central area. But this is much more common in the west. Americans introduced auto central locking late 80s due to theft of first car stopping on red lights and robberys

yes, there have been a few reports on road accidents (light rearending) after midnight followed by robbery, most in the bypass/chao Fa west close to Central area. But this is much more common in the west. Americans introduced auto central locking late 80s due to theft of first car stopping on red lights and robberys

This seems more like an opportunist robbery. I was talking about an accident that has been staged purely for serious criminal intent.