Everton Thread

sharecropper

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would appear to be that then.....

Whelan confirmed Everton have made an approach to speak to Martinez, he said: "Yep, Bill Kenwright rang me on Friday and asked to speak to Roberto.

"I gave Bill permission to speak to Roberto whether he chose to leave or not, I would never stop a football club speaking to a manager of mine."

Whelan added: "One thing Everton have got is Bill Kenwright, who is one honest guy. I would trust him implicitly and if I was Roberto, I would listen very carefully to what they have to say."

4 me Martinez is a given and a Good move for Everton, slight risk, but given a decent budget, enuf to cover a reasonable squad as opposed to a first team!!!!!, he'll do a decent job. TBH, i know it was effective, but i was never a fan of moyes chosen styles so may well take a while for Martinez to get things changed but i'm sure it will.

4 me Martinez is a given and a Good move for Everton, slight risk, but given a decent budget, enuf to cover a reasonable squad as opposed to a first team!!!!!,

I concur. Personally I thought Wigan played some really good football this season and in a lot of matches were unlucky. We only narrowly beat them at home in the league (forget about the FA Cup). I think with a tadmore quality at his disposal he'll do a good job.

4 me Martinez is a given and a Good move for Everton, slight risk, but given a decent budget, enuf to cover a reasonable squad as opposed to a first team!!!!!,

I concur. Personally I thought Wigan played some really good football this season and in a lot of matches were unlucky. We only narrowly beat them at home in the league (forget about the FA Cup). I think with a tadmore quality at his disposal he'll do a good job.

yeah b4 xmas the beat us at the lane , and in defense they looked a really really well drilled unit,but later losing figuero and ramis, in defense they never quite look the same, and ultimately, we saw piss poor defending cost them. wouldn't be surprised if he took figuero 2 everton with him, good lhs defender and can play central and l/b think he'll be on freeby?could well be a good buy?. As you say quality in depth will be the key 4 him and if its available, as relatively, it will be at everton, i'm sure he will do a good job. Edited by rijit

I think people are too taken in by the man himself being by all accounts a good bloke and interviews well. Yes he won the cup this year and it was a great performance. Aside of that, he was doing nothing other than fighting relegation every year and his organization of the Wigan defense was mostly woeful.

Better choices of managers out there imho

I think people are too taken in by the man himself being by all accounts a good bloke and interviews well. Yes he won the cup this year and it was a great performance. Aside of that, he was doing nothing other than fighting relegation every year and his organization of the Wigan defense was mostly woeful.

Maybe Carms but in his defence, he can only work with what tools he has been given.

For clarity I wasn't calling his players tools, I was eluding to the funds he has been given tongue.png

Maybe Carms but in his defence, he can only work with what tools he has been given.

For clarity I wasn't calling his players tools, I was eluding to the funds he has been given tongue.png

No and i'd never call someone a tool either.ermm.gif

One of the aspects of Martinez that concerns me is how disorganized his defense was. He's only dealing with the players he's got true enough but theres no excuse for them not being organised and for the most part last season they were not.

Hodgeson is an example of a manager that will never set the world on fire but his teams were generally well organised and i doubt his would have gone down with him at the helm. I just wouldn't want to have had to watch them

Edited by carmine

Martinez not nailed on. Anyone who backed Lennon, don't throw away your betting slip!

On the face of things he would look a good bet , I've listened 2 him and Tbh I dont think lennons particularly 'bright', but there you go, its all about opinions.

No and i'd never call someone a tool either.ermm.gif

One of the aspects of Martinez that concerns me is how disorganized his defense was. He's only dealing with the players he's got true enough but theres no excuse for them not being organised and for the most part last season they were not.

Hodgeson is an example of a manager that will never set the world on fire but his teams were generally well organised and i doubt his would have gone down with him at the helm. I just wouldn't want to have had to watch them

Carmine when i watched wigan towards the end of the season and the defense kept on cocking up, from what i saw it wasn't the organisation that was at fault, it was generally down to individual errors and players making poor decisions, something any manager will struggle with.

The rumour is that twelve hours ago Martinez went to hand his resignation in personally, and the response from Whelan was "Did I ever tell you about the time I broke my leg.........................................................".

So give it another twelve hours or so.

Next season's going to be great:

1. How will Moyes do at Man U

2. How will Mourinho do at Chelsea

3. How will City do with their new manager (presumably Pellegrini)

4. How will Martinez do at Everton?

5. How will Liverpool fare without their goal machine...

Always comes over as an extremely decent human being. I wish him well.

He does seem like a nice fellow. Hard to see though how he'll be able to do any better than Moyes, but then again, maybe expectations aren't that high that he will.

He does seem like a nice fellow. Hard to see though how he'll be able to do any better than Moyes, but then again, maybe expectations aren't that high that he will.

He's probably going to lose Baines and Fellaini for starters. It's difficult to see where the replacements will come from unless he fancies a couple of your guys. biggrin.png

Re: point 5: Our win ratio is higher without him, and we still would have finished 7th this season without his goals. Surprising but true.

I think we need fresh ideas and a new style of play to improve on what Moysey did with the squad. That's what I think he will bring. So long as he doesn't take us into relegation-scrapping, I'll be happy to give him a few seasons.

Re: point 5: Our win ratio is higher without him, and we still would have finished 7th this season without his goals. Surprising but true.

That's surprising. And the 40 million you'll trouser won't harm you either. But you'll need a novelty act for next season, so I hope you buy that bug-eyed Greek knobhead with some of the money...