Drugs Offenders In Thailand... Be Aware...

oz457

I was driving down from Kalasin to Bangkok last Week-End with my wife. Got pulled over on one of the numerous police check points somewhere between Khorat and Saraburi. They couldn't make me give any fine for driving fast or driving on the right lane, because I know the checkpoints well, but me and my wife were surprised we got kindly asked to go for a leak in a plastic cup for Amphetamine testing.

My wife was shocked; because she never heard that they are going that far in their war against drugs.

Took a leak in the plastic cup, had to give it to the police man. He took a amphetamine testing strip, opened it, took a sample of my pea water, and they you go... amphetamine test.

The test can trace any amphetamines up to 7 days in the past. Fortunately, I'm not a drugs user, so I was all clear. I was talking with the police man and he told me that in case I would have been positive, I would have been in very big trouble. For the memory, I took a picture together with the police man. Have a look at the picture for your convenience.

They will then check your passport and if they find out that the past 7 days you have only been in Thailand...you can make up the continuation of this story.

So one advise to all drugs users in Thailand. It is not that you can get a hand on drugs in a secret way and use it well hidden from the authorities... you can get caught by the police up to 7 days after usage during a standard road control....

post-971-1266201200_thumb.jpg

I noticed that at the toll booths over the weekend the traffic police were having long looks into every car. Not sure what they were looking for or if it was a funding exercise, but haven't noticed them en masse at tolls booths like this before.

The urine test can give false positives for the following:

Ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, propylephedrine, phenylephrine, or desoxyephedrine.

(Nyquil, Contact, Sudafed, Allerest, Tavist-D, Dimetapp, etc)

Phenegan-D, Robitussin Cold and Flu, Vicks Nyquil

Over-the-counter diet aids with phenylpropanolamine (Dexatrim, Accutrim)

Over-the-counter nasal sprays (Vicks inhaler, Afrin)

Asthma medications (Marax, Bronkaid tablets, Primatine Tablets)

Prescription medications (Amfepramone, Cathne, Etafediabe, Morazone,

...phendimetrazine, phenmetrazine, benzphetamine, fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine,

...dexdenfluramine,Redux, mephentermine, Mesocarb, methoxyphenamine, phentermine,

... amineptine, Pholedrine, hydroymethamphetamine, Dexedrine, amifepramone, clobenzorex,

...fenproyorex, mefenorex, fenelylline, Didrex, dextroamphetamine, methphenidate, Ritalin,

...pemoline, Cylert, selegiline, Deprenyl, Eldepryl, Famprofazone)

Kidney infection, kidney disease

Liver disease, diabetes

A follow-up test by gas chromatograph should be able to weed out the false positives.

At least they don't do a hair follicle test in which case they can detect 60-90 days prior use :)

I noticed that at the toll booths over the weekend the traffic police were having long looks into every car. Not sure what they were looking for or if it was a funding exercise, but haven't noticed them en masse at tolls booths like this before.

The annual shuffle of police has just occured. Today the 15th Feb is acutally the day the new "Phu Kumkups", which means the top police from Amphur level up to regional heads, will be moved to new locations. Friday was the day they would be sending off the old guys, Monday, today welcoming the new guys.

Figure it out! About 25% of police chiefs will move. So all junior rank police are out looking for funds to cover gifts for the new guy in town.

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Is it sensitive enough to give a false positive from cold tablets ? Aren't they what dealers buy thousands of to refine into the end product ?

they are after the psuedo ephedrine, used in the manufacture of crystal methamphetamine..... known as "ice" use Red Phospherous (safety match stick heads) and iodine to reduce the ethedrine... and there you go.....ice... almost as easy as freezing water....

That kinda sucks...I dont use drugs at all, but I would probally have some problems providing a urine on the spot, shybladder :) Did they give you some privacy?

Well, just the toilet behind the police booth.

Regarding the cup I had to leak in... it was a standard plastic drinking cup from the shop behind the corner.

I guess this few hundred baht notes won't suffice to get around in case I was positive. There were a dozens of police men looking at the result.

I got pulled over at the same check point a few times.... maybe they were trying another approach to get make me a few bahts lighter, but it didn't work out. Eventually they'll have to give up with me and find another victim. I speak fluent Thai, so maybe they find it amusing too. Don't know...

...phendimetrazine, phenmetrazine, benzphetamine, fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine,

...dexdenfluramine,Redux, mephentermine, Mesocarb, methoxyphenamine, phentermine,

... amineptine, Pholedrine, hydroymethamphetamine, Dexedrine, amifepramone, clobenzorex,

...fenproyorex, mefenorex, fenelylline, Didrex, dextroamphetamine, methphenidate, Ritalin,

Liver disease, diabetes

A follow-up test by gas chromatograph should be able to weed out the false positives.

At least they don't do a hair follicle test in which case they can detect 60-90 days prior use :)

That's a little worrying.

You think the local BiB have gas chromatograph testing kit at the station?

I rather doubt it.

Which then begs the question, what happens if you test positive as a result of taking some cold remedy or prescription drug?

Banged up in the local chokey until they send your sample to Bangkok for further testing?

And wait for the results?

You could find yourself getting very familiar with the inside of a prison cell for quite a while.

For no good reason.

Liver disease, diabetes

That's a little worrying.

You think the local BiB have gas chromatograph testing kit at the station?

I rather doubt it.

Which then begs the question, what happens if you test positive as a result of taking some cold remedy or prescription drug?

Banged up in the local chokey until they send your sample to Bangkok for further testing?

And wait for the results?

You could find yourself getting very familiar with the inside of a prison cell for quite a while.

For no good reason.

Surely it's just used for screening, prior to full blood tests. It's probably ELISA test kits, Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay. Prone to false positives.

The annual shuffle of police has just occured. Today the 15th Feb is acutally the day the new "Phu Kumkups", which means the top police from Amphur level up to regional heads, will be moved to new locations. Friday was the day they would be sending off the old guys, Monday, today welcoming the new guys.

Figure it out! About 25% of police chiefs will move. So all junior rank police are out looking for funds to cover gifts for the new guy in town.

interesting

I ask myself, if controls like this are lawfull.

Did they show the "customers" any kind of police order? ... maybe a new scam?

@connel707: they are after the psuedo ephedrine.

Medicine like this you can buy freely and legaly, nearly everywhere, over the counter (Sulidine, ....). I think it must be legal to take them too!? :)

Edited by Somrak

Many countries set up roadblocks and conduct random breath tests on all drivers stopped. I wonder which would impair your driving skills the most, alcohol or amphetamines? If they include truck drivers in their tests then it would be no bad thing, but I suspect they'd be covered by the same payments made to turn a blind eye to overloading.

This is just over-the-top harrassment, unless there was a gebuine suspicion, for example if they were expecting a farang supplier to drive past, but then they would have tossed your car asw ell.

I would probably refuse this test at the roadside, or at least have every step of it (and them) videotaped with my camera. Maybe that might have serious consequences, but this is literally taking the piss.

This is just over-the-top harrassment, unless there was a gebuine suspicion, for example if they were expecting a farang supplier to drive past, but then they would have tossed your car asw ell.

I would probably refuse this test at the roadside, or at least have every step of it (and them) videotaped with my camera. Maybe that might have serious consequences, but this is literally taking the piss.

With the exception of driving to the local town (Roi-Et) once in a blue moon now, I take VIP buses and public transport everywhere else. Last time I drove to Patters with sister we got pulled 5 times. She's moaning like hel_l that I only drive at 80 kph too. Guess it was the red plates on a new Honda City that attracted them plus the obvious . . . (her car by the way).

^ On that happy note, a little joke:

One day, a fellow complained to his friend.

"My elbow really hurts. I guess I should see a doctor."

His friend offered, "Don't do that! There's a computer at the drug store that can diagnose anything, quicker and cheaper than a doctor. Simply put in a sample of your urine and the computer will diagnose your problem and tell you what you can do about it. It only costs $10. He figured he had nothing to lose, so he filled a jar with a urine sample and went to the drug store. Finding the computer, he poured in the sample and deposited the $10. The computer

started making some noises and various lights started flashing. After a brief pause, out popped a small slip of paper on which was printed: "You have tennis elbow. Soak your arm in warm water. Avoid heavy labour." It will be better in two weeks. Late that evening while thinking how amazing this new technology was and how it would change medical science forever, he began to wonder if this machine could be fooled. He decided to give it a try. He mixed together some tap water, a stool sample from his dog, and urine samples from his wife and daughter. To top it off, he masturbated into the concoction. He went back to the drug store, located the machine, poured in the sample and deposited the $10. The machine again made the usual noise and printed out the following analysis: "Your tap water is too hard. Get a water softener. Your dog has worms. Give him vitamins. Your daughter's using cocaine. Put her in a rehabilitation clinic. Your wife's pregnant - twin girls. They aren't yours. Get a lawyer. And, if you don't stop jerking off, your tennis elbow will never get better.

^ On that happy note, a little joke:

One day, a fellow complained to his friend.

"My elbow really hurts. I guess I should see a doctor."

His friend offered, "Don't do that! There's a computer at the drug store that can diagnose anything, quicker and cheaper than a doctor. Simply put in a sample of your urine and the computer will diagnose your problem and tell you what you can do about it. It only costs $10. He figured he had nothing to lose, so he filled a jar with a urine sample and went to the drug store. Finding the computer, he poured in the sample and deposited the $10. The computer

started making some noises and various lights started flashing. After a brief pause, out popped a small slip of paper on which was printed: "You have tennis elbow. Soak your arm in warm water. Avoid heavy labour." It will be better in two weeks. Late that evening while thinking how amazing this new technology was and how it would change medical science forever, he began to wonder if this machine could be fooled. He decided to give it a try. He mixed together some tap water, a stool sample from his dog, and urine samples from his wife and daughter. To top it off, he masturbated into the concoction. He went back to the drug store, located the machine, poured in the sample and deposited the $10. The machine again made the usual noise and printed out the following analysis: "Your tap water is too hard. Get a water softener. Your dog has worms. Give him vitamins. Your daughter's using cocaine. Put her in a rehabilitation clinic. Your wife's pregnant - twin girls. They aren't yours. Get a lawyer. And, if you don't stop jerking off, your tennis elbow will never get better.

hahaha, Thanks for sharing this one. REally rocks!

I find it interesting that they mentioned checking your passport to see if you have been in Thailand for the last 7 days.

There was a recent discussion on this forum regarding drug usage outside of Thailand followed by a possible drug test in a Bangkok nightclub. Lots of people drew the conclusion that a positive test is a crime regardless of whether the drug was taken inside the Kingdom or not. Your experiences seem to suggest otherwise, also they only appear to be testing for a certain class of drugs.

Edited by ukrules

you can- and I have refused a piss test

it is a myth that they can force you to take one

I insisted they either charge me and that they call my lawyer-which they did, seconds later, I was back on my way

if they find nothing- sue them! get their names, ask someone to film the whole incident.

Thats speaks volumes about this illegal, stupid, human rights violation bullying tactic.They only do this to earn extra cash.

There are lots of other little "tricks" that one can do which can prevent this- but I do not want to risk upsetting anyone by disclosing this ( google it-its all there)

just believe me- all those tests can be rendered useless