Cool Mountain Walks Around Chiang Mai

zaq1

I wonder if some of you residing in the area can tell me of some cool temperature walking areas around Chiang Mai - besides Doi Suthep and Doi Internon?

Or maybe places above/beyond the Palace on Doi Suthep?

I'm looking at anything between 10-15k walks, preferably partly in forest/shady areas.

Thanks a lot!

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Zak1,

Here on TV CM forum, Khun Ian Forbes, a real "outdoorsman," and excellent photographer, has posted many comments (and pictures) from his nature hikes and explorations on Doi Suthep, and many other places around northern Thailand.

You might do a look-see through his past messages here.

best, ~o:37;

Buak Had Park in the southwest corner of the moat

Buak%20Had%20Park%20Chiang%20mai.jpg

Horizon Village, few kms before Doi Saket (up the Chiang Rai road) east of town.

918329658_6f4d94bd4a.jpg

Wat Umong, off Suthep road, due west.

3.1246589869.wat-chang-man-oldest-in-chiang-mai.jpg

Chiang Mai Floral (Canal Road), southwest.

p290179-Chiang_Mai-Royal_Pavilion.jpg

I am dreaming of a relatively smooth footpath as I got one poor leg with defunct nerves. I am longing to walk not to hike. The streets of CM are a nightmare for handicapped.

The grounds of The University are free to explore and once you get away from the roads it is pleasantly peaceful. The Ang-Kaew Resevoir would be a good place to start. That's the Huay Kaew Entrance, keeping right. Its very pleasant walking with good views of the mountains. Unfortunately there's no path completely encircling it. Then just keep exploring the outer reaches of the grounds.

The grounds of The University are free to explore and once you get away from the roads it is pleasantly peaceful. The Ang-Kaew Resevoir would be a good place to start. That's the Huay Kaew Entrance, keeping right. Its very pleasant walking with good views of the mountains. Unfortunately there's no path completely encircling it. Then just keep exploring the outer reaches of the grounds.

Forgot the map :

http://www.cmu.ac.th/map_eng.php

If you go out to the Mae Krueng (sp) Dam in Doi Saket there is a road that goes around the reservoir. It's not a mountain walk but it is nice and you are basically walking on a street along the lake. There are locked gates because the road is washed out in 1or 2 spots but you can just jump over them, the wash outs and the locked gates. If you want you can also climb to the top of the hill to get some really beautiful views of the Chiang Mai Valley or the pollution. There is also a nice pavilion in the center of the dam that you can walk out to.