Thai Army Ready To Send Troops To Guard Abhisit: Anupong

webfact

Anupong says Army ready to send troops to guard PM

BANGKOK -- Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda said Monday that the Army is ready to provide bodyguards for Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva when requested.

The Army chief was commenting on two attempts to interrupt the motorcade of the prime minister.

Anupong returned from an official visit to the United States Sunday night.

He said he had not received reports about the two latest bomb incidents yet.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-15

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Now I wonder if the US army chief of staff General Casey had a word with the Thai army general. What do you suppose General Casey said to General Anupong? :D

So how are things going in Taiwan ? :)

:D :D

Yes....same same but different......

I know I am in the minority, but I truly think there will be no more coups in Thailand. I think the Army was so unprepared for the immediate global scrutiny (courtesy of 24 hour news, internet, etc), in 2006, that wasn't possible, event in 1991 (the last coup?) that they are not prepared for that kind of intense focus again, and that is will assure that is doesn't happen. Far better to stay quiet, assure the current government of your support, and reap the rewards when budget allocation time rolls around. Not a large step forward, but a step nonetheless.

I know I am in the minority, but I truly think there will be no more coups in Thailand. I think the Army was so unprepared for the immediate global scrutiny (courtesy of 24 hour news, internet, etc), in 2006, that wasn't possible, event in 1991 (the last coup?) that they are not prepared for that kind of intense focus again, and that is will assure that is doesn't happen. Far better to stay quiet, assure the current government of your support, and reap the rewards when budget allocation time rolls around. Not a large step forward, but a step nonetheless.

I'll also bet a week's beer money on that one. No coup in the next 12 months owing to the fallout of Thaksin's assets court case at least.

Depending on how psychotic the reds get there may be some sort of marshal law enforced however.

Now I wonder if the US army chief of staff General Casey had a word with the Thai army general. What do you suppose General Casey said to General Anupong? :)

As the chief in staff of an army that has stage managed more coups than most, albeit outside their own country, and including at least one in Thailand, he probably gave some advice on how to go about the next one, and how to keep an unfriendly civilian population under control ala his job in Iraq.

However, even if he did decide to go the high and mighty route, I'd imagine it went something like this:

Casey - "We are concerned by these coup rumours, and violence in Thailand. They'd better stop, or we may be forced by the bleeding hearts in congress to stop supporting you".

Anupong - "I'm sorry to hear that. We value our ties to your army, after all, you're the reason why we're in the position we're in today. I have to say though, that the Chinese are extremely keen to work with us, should you pull out".

Casey - "Go ahead and do what you feel is right. We're 100% behind you all the way".

As the chief in staff of an army that has stage managed more coups than most, albeit outside their own country, and including at least one in Thailand, he probably gave some advice on how to go about the next one, and how to keep an unfriendly civilian population under control ala his job in Iraq.

However, even if he did decide to go the high and mighty route, I'd imagine it went something like this:

Casey - "We are concerned by these coup rumours, and violence in Thailand. They'd better stop, or we may be forced by the bleeding hearts in congress to stop supporting you".

Anupong - "I'm sorry to hear that. We value our ties to your army, after all, you're the reason why we're in the position we're in today. I have to say though, that the Chinese are extremely keen to work with us, should you pull out".

Casey - "Go ahead and do what you feel is right. We're 100% behind you all the way".

That sounds about right. lol

Now I wonder if the US army chief of staff General Casey had a word with the Thai army general. What do you suppose General Casey said to General Anupong? :)

Classic. There have been some real quality posts on TV today

Frankly ridiculous news! The Army should do so with any PM and any party, so this really is not news.

Surely the Army's role is to defend Thailand from any foreign aggressor. Protection for all individuals in Thailand should be in the remit of the Royal Thai Police.

One constant amusement for me is the partiality for motorcades by the Thai high and mighty as a sop to their vanity whereas members of the British Royal family usually drive themselves around town. I understand that Betty Windsor no longer does so since she is no longer up to it and Phil the Greek shouldn't be allowed to as skippering a frigate gave him problems. :)

Frankly ridiculous news! The Army should do so with any PM and any party, so this really is not news.

Surely the Army's role is to defend Thailand from any foreign aggressor. Protection for all individuals in Thailand should be in the remit of the Royal Thai Police.

One constant amusement for me is the partiality for motorcades by the Thai high and mighty as a sop to their vanity whereas members of the British Royal family usually drive themselves around town. I understand that Betty Windsor no longer does so since she is no longer up to it and Phil the Greek shouldn't be allowed to as skippering a frigate gave him problems. :)

The British Royals even get the odd speeding ticket. Nothing quite like a good motorcade though.

Lived in Harare a few years ago. Big Bad Bob would go out around town, with 2 other motorcades for diversions. All the roads would halt as all 3 motorcades careered around town and god forbid you didn't get out of their way. 10 outriders, armoured personel carriers and the biggest bulletproof Merc money could buy.

Much as there was a story about someone challenging Abhisit's motorcade the other day, I do wonder however, what training the people in these motorcades in Thailand have actually had. I don't think that they are really that safe simply because the people controlling them wouldn't know how to react if someone actually did want to bring some harm to the VIP in the motorcade.

Let's hope they are not using the GT200 to look for explosives

LOL...they tested it out today or yesterday i heard it only detected 6 out of 20 of the objects they used in the experiments, such sh**ty equipment shows corruption and naivety of the Thai government/army.

Let's hope they are not using the GT200 to look for explosives

LOL...they tested it out today or yesterday i heard it only detected 6 out of 20 of the objects they used in the experiments, such sh**ty equipment shows corruption and naivety of the Thai government/army.

Up country there are lots of trees. Grab a "Y" shaped branch, remove leaves, snap off any excess foliage, then package for sale to Thai Army. Preferred recommended retail in the upper 10 million category. The more the better. But do not forget, 40% kickback goes to Generals, 20% to Major Generals, 10% to Purchasing Officier. Still not bad for Somchai farmer in RoiEt - 3million baht for something birds where sh*ting on a week ago.

Now I wonder if the US army chief of staff General Casey had a word with the Thai army general. What do you suppose General Casey said to General Anupong? :D

:D

I've had that un from my old man of all people. :D

:D :D

Yes....same same but different......

Yes, I like going to Taiwan because I really love Thai food.

Ummmmm what do YOU think that Casey would say to the top military officer of a foreign nation that the US is friendly with?