What Will Irish Pubs Do Without Any Guinness?

Changian

Within the next month or so bars / pubs that sell Guinness will be told by the Thai distributor that no more will be imported from Malaysia once current stocks run out. Reason being the price has been kept artificially low and is are set to increase a lot. ( It could be imported from Australia but the costs associated with this are also very high.)

So unless Diageo decides to distribute the stuff themselves or another large distributor takes things over Guinness could become scarce in Thailand in the very near future.

Enjoy it while you can.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't ever remember ordering guinness in any of the irish bars in bangors...so for me..zero effect...

As a lifelong beer drinker guinness has never seduced me its a marmite beer... love it or hate it....

Its very filling and makes ya pooh black and solid! actually that would be okay to have a solid stool from time to time :)

How can anyone drink Guiness in a hot climate like Thailand? :) .

Easy. Grasp glass with hand. Lift glass. Pour in mouth.

Next ...

Thanks for the warning. I was planning on going out for a Guinness today. Now its more urgent.

Edited by Jingthing

After the new import duties and excise tax ceiling raising expect this foreign beer to be the first of many. Complete monopolization of the beer market is the endgame goal for Thaibev and Boonrawd, and they won't stop until the only available beer in Thailand is the mouthwash tasting garbage they sell. Still though, this is extremely profitable for them. The pubs will now most likely be selling a lot more heiniken and singha.

After the new import duties and excise tax ceiling raising expect this foreign beer to be the first of many. Complete monopolization of the beer market is the endgame goal for Thaibev and Boonrawd, and they won't stop until the only available beer in Thailand is the mouthwash tasting garbage they sell. Still though, this is extremely profitable for them. The pubs will now most likely be selling a lot more heiniken and singha.

I thought the import duties had been dropped from ASEAN countries, hence the small excise duty increase to make up for this loss of revenue. Previous threads were all saying how happy people were at the prospect of cheaper foreign beer.

Maybe the Malaysian brewery had been selling at an artificially low price. Duty in Malaysia is such that draught Guinness has been cheaper in Thailand than the country in which it is brewed.

Sad, but it's quite rare that I have a Guinness in Thailand. It is much better in Ireland and England.

I recall reading that all guiness is no longer made under licence in other countries but is made in Ireland only and exported.

Brigante7.

Guinness is brewed in Malaysia under licence but the Kilkenny sold in Thailand is imported from Ireland

I thought the import duties had been dropped from ASEAN countries, hence the small excise duty increase to make up for this loss of revenue. Previous threads were all saying how happy people were at the prospect of cheaper foreign beer.

Maybe the Malaysian brewery had been selling at an artificially low price. Duty in Malaysia is such that draught Guinness has been cheaper in Thailand than the country in which it is brewed.

Sad, but it's quite rare that I have a Guinness in Thailand. It is much better in Ireland and England.

I agree. If it's brewed in Malaysia it should be covered by the new tariff reduction, not removed from the market. What kind of shenanigans are they playing in the back rooms? Is Malasia stopping production? Anyone on here living in Malaysia? I'm curious to see if this is just Thaibev and Boonrawd screwing things up in Thailand.

I will miss Guinness if it becomes scarce, but I've noticed that my Mekhong is becoming more difficult to find, and that worries me! :D:)