Retirement Visa Proof Of Income - Us Consulate Notarising Procedure

An elderly American friend is on the way to stay in Thailand but not greatly IT literate. He intends to apply for a Retirement Visa. The US consulate in Chiang Mai have confirmed that he will only need to give a sworn affidavit with regard to his monthly income. Will Thai Immigration still require bank statements even though he has a sworn affidavit?

I have had a retirement visa for the last 7 years. Have never been asked for any documentation except for the income verification letter from the US Embassy. The US Embassy does not require any proof of income, the statement that you sign stating your income has the standard statement that all information you give on the income verification is correct and accurate.

Edited by bkkharry

How is he entering Thailand? Is he arriving on a Tourist or Non-Immigrant O visa, or is he arriving on a 30-day visa-exempt stamp?

I thought I read where Chiang Mai is one place that will not "convert" a 30-day visa-exempt entry to a Non-Immigrant O for the purpose of granting a one-year extension for retirement, so hope he already will have a visa.

Thanks for the replies.

He's arriving on a tourist visa, but has the intention to change to a Non Imm 'O'. It is possible that he has to return to the States for a short while. He just wants to find out the details so that he can prepare.

With regard to changing from Tourist Visa to Retirement, I'm aware of the situation as I had to change from Tourist to Married Visa late last year. We are in the Chiang Mai catchment zone and had to apply personally to Bangkok Immigration to transfer, got 3 months and in that time had to apply for the marriage visa in Chiang Mai. So, thanks for the heads up but he should be alright on that score if he makes the decision to stay.

Having thought some more about this, people have told me that each immigration office may ask for different things. Which immigration office do you use - if by some slim chance it's Chiang Mai, I would appreciate your views or experiences about the process. I will submit another post on the site aimed specifically at US citizens who use Chiang Mai.

I wasn't asked for more than the notarized letter from the US Consulate; they don't require backup documentation there, as of course it's a sworn statement. I did have my bankbook at immigration handy just in case. I was on a non-Immigrant "O" multi-entry acquired in States, so no experience with converting a Tourist visa. Both the Consulate and Immigration were most helpful and courteous.

All he needs is a single entry non immigrant O visa to extend for retirement but the US has not been a good place to obtain as they pushed the OA retirement long stay visa on everyone. But Honorary Consulates can no longer issue these so I would ask one of them. If not in US most Thai Consulates elsewhere will issue for someone over age 50.

I am GREATLY puzzled by all this. I am here in Chiang Mai, using a double-entry tourist visa, 60 days x 2, plus just now the 30 day extension. Prior to my leaving the U.S., I confirmed with the Royal Chicago office that a significant number of things needed doing before I could get a retirement visa.

I can on-line demonstrate (not notarized, of course, as required in Chicago) live that my monthly income satisfies the requirements for living here - various retirement benefits fixed and secure.

Are we saying that by making a sworn statement at the U.S. consulate in CM (satisfying their concerns) that I then can apply for a (Very First) Non-O Retirement (annual, multi-entry) Visa?

Please understand that the complexities of marriage are in no way involved; I'd like limit information here to my case.

There are two different things - the long stay (retirement) OA visa issued in home country and the one year extension of stay for retirement issued in Thailand. Age over 50.

For the OA money can be in home country/police report/medical report - valid for one year stay. Normally after that you change to extensions of stay as below.

Extension of stay for retirement from Immigration. Non immigrant visa entry, money proof in Thailand of 800k in bank account 2 months (three in succeeding years) or 65k per month income (embassy letter) or a combination to meet 800k per year. If paperwork available but not the visa entry conversion can be made in Bangkok and a few other places for 2,000 baht if 21 days or more reamin on current permitted to stay. If not would require a trip to a Consulate to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa and using that for entry.

I am GREATLY puzzled by all this. I am here in Chiang Mai, using a double-entry tourist visa, 60 days x 2, plus just now the 30 day extension. Prior to my leaving the U.S., I confirmed with the Royal Chicago office that a significant number of things needed doing before I could get a retirement visa.

I can on-line demonstrate (not notarized, of course, as required in Chicago) live that my monthly income satisfies the requirements for living here - various retirement benefits fixed and secure.

Are we saying that by making a sworn statement at the U.S. consulate in CM (satisfying their concerns) that I then can apply for a (Very First) Non-O Retirement (annual, multi-entry) Visa?

Please understand that the complexities of marriage are in no way involved; I'd like limit information here to my case.

In short, YES. Immigration can, but seldom ask for verification in Chiang Mai if you have a certified letter from the US Consulate

Sorry, but the last two posts to this retired reader seem somewhat at odds.

1. A retired citizen of the U.S. - as best we know - can go to the U.S. consulate here in Chiang Mai (appointment, passport) and swear an affidavit, take it (along with passport) to the Immigration office here in Chiang Mai, and secure a (first time) one year multi-entry visa for Thailand?

2. Or must take the affidavit to a Thai Embassy or Royal Consulate in another Asian country?

3. Or take it to Bangkok?

Sorry to be so dense, but between the clicking of the clock on my present visa, tomorrow's worries, and my airline just having sent a change of schedule, I am not at whatever passes for my best mind.

1. A retired citizen of the U.S. - as best we know - can go to the U.S. consulate here in Chiang Mai (appointment, passport) and swear an affidavit, take it (along with passport) to the Immigration office here in Chiang Mai, and secure a (first time) one year multi-entry visa for Thailand?

Nearly correct. If his income is 65,000 Baht a month.

It is a 12 month extension of stay , not a visa. 1,900 Baht fee.

If he intends on making a few trips out of Thailand he needs to apply for a Multi Entry Re Entry Permit 3,800 Baht.

Immigration might want to see proof of income as they know that the US Consulate do not ask for proof. But they rarely do.

You are asking multi questions again and expecting one answer.

1. You are on a tourist visa entry - you can not extend that for retirement. Answer to post 13/1 is no in your case. You must be here on a non immigrant visa entry.

2. You do not normally require such paperwork at a foreign located Consulate - you would go there to obtain a non immigrant single entry O visa if taking that method. This Consulate issued visa is an option in the path to extension of stay.

3. Another option in your case would be a visit to Bangkok to change your tourist visa to non immigrant without exit of Thailand. It is a 2,000 baht step. You must have 21 days or more remaining on your permitted to stay to do this however. I expect you may not have time.

So for you a visit to Vientiane or other Consulate to obtain a non immigrant O visa might be the best path. 60 days after return to extend your stay at Chiang Mai Immigration using the Consulate issued paper of income. There is no other major paperwork involved (Consulate in US provides what is required for an OA visa - not an extension of stay done in Thailand). Cost will be your trip/visa and 1,900 baht for extension of stay using TM.7 forum two month later.

No. At the Chiang Mai immigration office he cannot get “(first time) one year multi-entry visa for Thailand”. With that document he can get a one-year extension of stay.

--

Maestro

Another option in your case would be a visit to Bangkok to change your tourist visa to non immigrant without exit of Thailand. It is a 2,000 baht step. You must have 21 days or more remaining on your permitted to stay to do this however. I expect you may not have time.

Reportedly, CM does NOT convert tourist visas (or visa exempt entries) to Non Imm O visas -- if the underlying purpose is to apply for a one-year extension based on marriage (you would have to go to Bangkok for this). BUT, if the purpose of the conversion is to subsequently apply for a one-year extension based on retirement, this can be done.

Secondly, I don't recall whether or not CM will do both a conversion (of tourist visa/exempt entry to Non Imm O visa) and a one-year retirement extension on the same day. Pattaya and Phuket will -- Bangkok won't (at least historically). In the latter case, two income letters were required -- one for conversion, a subsequent letter for the extension. However, in spite of the inconvenience should CM be like BKK, you would be able to go from tourist visa to one-year extension based on retirement without ever having to leave CM.

CM has also been cited for asking to see a bank book even tho' the extension was totally based on income. No minimum amount mentioned -- just appeared to be a look-see about your banking roots. And no consistency in this request -- probably an officer, not office, peculiarity.