Favorite Thai Dishes

sbk

Gaeng Plah kuah (salted fish curry--Southern specialty)

Ho Mok (steamed fish curry)

fried curry pork

pat krapow

garlic and pepper pork ribs

What are your top 5?

**after note: just noticed that four out my five are spicy dishes. Like I always tell Thai people, "if its not spicy, its not delicious!" :)

I saw one of these 'What's Your Favorite Thai Food' threads on the Lonely Planet Thailand forum, and the overwhelming favorite Thai food?...... (drum roll: ba-da-bing!).....

Banana Pancakes on Koh Samui!

I got kind of a chuckle out of that!

My Favorite Thai Foods.

1) The Fried Sea Bass w/ Fish Sauce at Mum Aroy in Si Ratcha (MAN - is that stuff GOOD!!!)

2) Crab Curry (with those little soft shell crabs in a real spicy red curry sauce - we had them at an open air restaurant down on the waterfront in Pattaya - I don't know - there's just something about curry and crab that go together and take each other to a whole new level - kinda' like Peanut Butter and Jelly - only a WHOLE lot better!)

3) Kung Kra Tiem - garlic fried shrimp - they chop up the garlic and let it dry in the sun for half a day, then roll the shrimp in spices and the dried garliic and fry it up - I'm sure it's what the angels eat in heaven)

4) Thai Fried Chicken from a little restaurant on the Nong Mon bypass in Bang Saen. Get that with one of their iced-coffee-smoothie-things and, well, life is pretty grand for a while...... and then you run out.

5) Banana Pancakes on Koh Samui - I know.... I know..... but they ARE really good! :)

-whatever

-Lou

Waaaaaaay too many for just 5, but if I have to ....

- yam mamuang (mango salad)

- pad grapow (basil stir fry)

- lin moo (marinated pig tongue)

- gaeng pa (jungle curry)

- pad pak boong (stir fried morning glory)

I saw one of these 'What's Your Favorite Thai Food' threads on the Lonely Planet Thailand forum, and the overwhelming favorite Thai food?...... (drum roll: ba-da-bing!).....

Banana Pancakes on Koh Samui!

I got kind of a chuckle out of that!

That Lousy Planner forum are mostly members of backpackers and people in the trade, so Banana Pancakes is not a surprise.

My top 5:

Basil leaves fry chicken

Tom Yam Soup(clear type, can some describe in Thai ? I always have problem when ordering it)

Basil leaves fry shrimps

Seabass steam fish in clear sour soup(w lime, lemongrass I believe - how to order in Thai ?)

Mango Salad

Som Tam (papaya salad very spicy)

Pad Krapow Neua Kai Dow (minced beef herbs and spices with a fried egg)

Tom Yam Gai (clear soup with vegetables, spices and chicken)

something g/f's BiL made with cabbage (I think) onion, garlic and fish (phet phet aroi mak!)

steamed fish fresh from the river (i asked what it was called and was told 'pla' so...fish! lol) home cooked with a very dark super phet phet sauce to dip it in

and all of the above seasoned with smiles and sanuk sanuk people :)

As someone posted earlier, mai phet mai arroi :D

Edited by bifftastic

Gaeng massaman gai - Muslim style chicken curry

Gai pad med ma-maung - stir fried chicken, peppers, cashew nuts

Grilled Isaan sausages, chilli, cucumber, ginger.

Panang gai - sweet red curry with chicken

Khao pad gai, kai dow - stir fried chicken with a fried egg on top

Edit:

Just saw bifftastic's post - must add:

Pad krapow neua, kai gow - spicy beef with a fried egg on top

Edited by JetsetBkk

This is a very useful thread to know about Thai food. Posters can you please describe in English instead of only using Thai names ?

You would be wanting a copy of "Thai Hawker Food" then .....

http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?products_id=233

It has pictorial, English/Thai names, and English descriptions of most common Thai street foods including soups, salads, noodles, fried, grilled, drinks, etc., as well as common cooking utensils and nice maps of the main food markets in the Bkk area. To me, it's a must have for any big time "Thai foodie."

This is a very useful thread to know about Thai food. Posters can you please describe in English instead of only using Thai names ?

It has pictorial, English/Thai names, and English descriptions of most common Thai street foods including soups, salads, noodles, fried, grilled, drinks, etc., as well as common cooking utensils and nice maps of the main food markets in the Bkk area. To me, it's a must have for any big time "Thai foodie."

Ah...thank you.

it's hard to pick just 5. In no particular order...

1) Pla Krapong Nung Manow (Steamed bass in garlic/lemon/lemongrass broth)

2) Kung pat Sa-tor (Stir fried shrimp with stink bean, chili, and black pepper)

3) Pad Krapow

4) southern style Gaeng Som (difficult to find outside of southern thailand)

5) Laap pla-duk (minced catfish salad, some vendors will put in sour mango which is great!)

2. Sa-tor??? Are you crazy???

:)

Can't stand the stuff.

But I do love sprouts.

Is this book available in bookshops ?

Maybe its not real thai - and I do love many of the other dishes quoted on this thread - but I am quite partial to a good crispy fried catfish salad. Larp Ped (sorry = Lao-style duck salad) also yummy. Used to love Larp plaa until it gave me parasites - the cooked version is nowhere near as delicious as the raw fish versions

I'll have a go just writing the first 5 of my favourites as they come to mind. Ask me again in 10 minutes and my answer will be different.

1. Larb Pla Duk (or Ped)

2. Num Tok Mu

3. Kheng Phet Ped Yang

4. Mu Ping (decent Nam Jim is a must + khao niaw)

5. Pad Grapow Mu

• 5 weeks later...

1)Khao Neo, SomTum, Kai Yang(Sticky rice, papaya salad,BBQ chicken)

2)Khao Phat, Phat Krapow, Tom Yum(Fried rice, stir fry of holy basil and anything, hot nad sour thai soup)

3)Green Curry served with eggplants and baby corn tempura

4)Panaeng served on steaming hot jasmine rice

5) mee kathi

Desserts

1)Pakim Kai Tao

2)Khanom krok/khanom thuai

3)Khanom Chan (Talad Or Kor Tor)

4)Khao neo mamuang(from Pa jua Opposite Hilton in Hua Hin)

5)Roti Sai Mai (from Ayutthaya)