Location In Pattaya

zingano

Hello,

Just got back from our first trip to Pattaya and was looking in to possibly buying a condo to spend 3 to 6 months out of the year there.

My question is; what are each area of town like to live in?

I'd be staying there with my fiance and son.

Thank you

Your first trip to Pattaya and thinking of buying a place!!! Unless you've got money to burn, Dont go down that road. Rent. As you'll be staying long term. You can get good deal's. It'll give you lot's more time to see if you like Pattaya. There's good thing's, but I cant for the life of me think what. and bad. Get to know it first. It's not a good thing to do right now, buy that is. As the tax is going up in a few week's, there'll be even better deal's later. Not that there isn't now, tip as they cant sell condo's at the moment. No matter what your told, "fact" I have a friend who's an estate agent he's rented quite a few, but not sold one in the last 6 month's. If you do decide to buy, barter hard........ you will more than likely get reply's for other people on TV telling you I dont know what Im talking about. But there likely be people who want to sell, or estate agent's.

You didn't mention about your budget. Especially since you're coming with your fiance and son to stay in the condo, I would recommend Jomtien. It is slower paced, so good for families. Also, quick easy 10B baht bus access to Pattaya's sleeziness for you go slip out for some fun.

Edited by bangkapiboy

Wait and see ??? i'm not sure it's the best to do actually. Pattaya is in a huge mutation and will be soon the biggest and the most attractive place where to live near the Ocean in Asia. Twenty years ago, only three five stars hotel, Royal Cliff, Amari an Dusit where there. Today is the rush and all the biggest names want to be on or near the Pattaya beach.

The different locations to stay in Pattaya are :

1. Wongamat beach, Naklua

2. Pratumnak

3. Pattaya Beach between Beach Road and just behind 2nd road

4. Dongtan Beach Jomtien

5. Jomtien Beach Road

6. East Pattaya, over Sukkhumvit

... but the prices can now reach 200'000,-- :) bahts a sq meter (sic) on the Nr 1 and can be 20'000,-- :D on the Nr 6...

I think you should rent first and see if you like the location. Much easier to move on when renting. I noticed when going to Jomtien on an evening ride that some condo's are almost empty, I wouldn't like to live in one of those, feeling like you live in a ghost building maybe the only person around in one floor brr. :)

>>maybe the only person around in one floor brr. <<

Thats great ,no noise then except for renovations .( and the work has to keep within certain hours ) .

OP ,you might like Park Lane Condominium on Soi Wat Boon Jomtien .Nearing completion ,with 3 buildings sold out but some left on building 4 .Huge Lagoon pool of 1,800 sq meters .Each Condo is small at 36 sq m but has a separate bedroom .Prices around 1.5 M .The condos have all furniture and fittings supplied .Its 800 meters from the beach .Free shuttle .

Wait and see ??? i'm not sure it's the best to do actually. Pattaya is in a huge mutation and will be soon the biggest and the most attractive place where to live near the Ocean in Asia. Twenty years ago, only three five stars hotel, Royal Cliff, Amari an Dusit where there. Today is the rush and all the biggest names want to be on or near the Pattaya beach.

2. Pratumnak

4. Dongtan Beach Jomtien

5. Jomtien Beach Road

... but the prices can now reach 200'000,-- :) bahts a sq meter (sic) on the Nr 1 and can be 20'000,-- :D on the Nr 6...

Pattaya will soon be the best place to live in asia. Come on it's the pit's. Has been getting worse by the year. The drain's stink. The 6 feet beach is filthy. The traffic is only bettered by BKK. And speaking on a personal front it's the only place in Thailand that I get diarrhoea.

Whatever you do, dont be drawn into the "buy a condo in your own name &lt;deleted&gt;", you will regret it, simple and totally legal methods will allow you comfortable living in a house. Very easy, dont listen to the condo sellers!!!

Whatever you do, dont be drawn into the "buy a condo in your own name &lt;deleted&gt;", you will regret it, simple and totally legal methods will allow you comfortable living in a house. Very easy, dont listen to the condo sellers!!!

Too true. Things change all the time here and you may well regret your purchase a few years down the line. Then you may be lumbered with a property you can't sell for years unless you are prepared to sell it at a bargain basement price. Some condo renters will arrange to look after your belongings till you come back on your next holiday.

Don't take too much notice of the Pattaya haters, however I would visit a few more times and get to know the diffrent area's before buying, 'fredbo43' seems to spend all his posts saying how rubbish it is. I don't understand why ppl just post to say purely negative things. Maybe they are so bored in a small village in Essan and nothing better to do all day.

For some people from a small town maybe it is too busy, but am from in South London and feel Pattaya is much more relaxed and safe. I have been in Issan and other smaller places and for me even though I like it for a week I would rather live in a more busy place like BKK or Pattaya. I know some islands the beaches are better but Pattaya is more pratical and also it is easy and close to have a short break in Koh Samit that has very nice beaches. Also just 10 mins by Motosi from Jomtien there are some really nice quiet beaches, totally diffrent vibe from South Pattaya beach. Cosy beach is nice as well, but sometimes can be crowded.

That said I think it would be better to visit a few more times before buying.

If you are worried about the changing exchange rate, you could get a Thai Baht account and leave the money in Baht until you decide to buy. As long and you mark the money transfier to that account as 'for condo purchase' it does not matter if you don't buy until later. HSBC is a good option for this from the UK. Also don't worry about the prices going up in the near future, the condo market is faily flat for now whatever the agents say.

Not sure about the totally legal ways to own houses and land in your own name that have been mentioned, maybe the posters can explain? (for me I am not intrested in a 30 year lease as I am less than 40 but for older guys who won't be around in 30 years it maybe OK).

It took me a few visits to Pattaya, staying in diffrent places as well as many other places in Thailand I decided to buy a condo in Park Lane Jomtien, as the price is good value for me, I like the seperate bedroom, and is 10 mins one way to the busy nightlife and 10 mins the other way to really quiet beaches.

Good luck with your plans

2. Pratumnak

4. Dongtan Beach Jomtien

5. Jomtien Beach Road

Pattaya will soon be the best place to live in asia. Come on it's the pit's. Has been getting worse by the year. The drain's stink. The 6 feet beach is filthy. The traffic is only bettered by BKK. And speaking on a personal front it's the only place in Thailand that I get diarrhoea.

Agreed.........really gone downhill over the past ten years........and real estate prices have gone up at the same time.

Rent and decide for yourself if you want to stay.

2. Pratumnak

4. Dongtan Beach Jomtien

5. Jomtien Beach Road

Dude, save your own ass... and stay away from Pattaya!

Not sure about the totally legal ways to own houses and land in your own name that have been mentioned, maybe the posters can explain? (for me I am not intrested in a 30 year lease as I am less than 40 but for older guys who won't be around in 30 years it maybe OK).

Usufruct can be for lifetime.

Whats that ?,and i bet that it has some disadvantages .I do agree though that for 2 people + child like the OP a house is much better .For a single person or even a couple a Condo has a lot going for it .eg ,closer to the beach ,use of swimming pool plus fitness area ,greater security etc .

Whats that ?,and i bet that it has some disadvantages .I do agree though that for 2 people + child like the OP a house is much better .For a single person or even a couple a Condo has a lot going for it .eg ,closer to the beach ,use of swimming pool plus fitness area ,greater security etc .

See attached.

Usufruct.pdf

See attached.

Usufruct.pdf

Usufruct... fascinating. Thanks a lot; very interesting new information.

Issues seem to get confused and mixed frequently on this forum. The issue is not do you love or hate Pattaya. The issue is should a foreigner buy a house/land or a condo in Pattaya or Thailand more generally. Whether you believe Pattaya is a tropical paradise or a cesspool (in the latter case you wouldn't want to anyway), buying property in Pattaya is a very unwise (aka "foolish") thing to do. Beside the legal issues (with land ownership) and what are generally viewed as excessively high prices, a house/condo is almost impossible to sell here. This is not a good situation to put yourself in even if you plan to live here for a long time. Condos provide perhaps a better option, but also come with risks and problems. Condos can be used as rental property more easy than houses when the sales market turns down, which may explain why so many condo are sitting vacant but prices don't seem to come down. A long term lease is easy and relatively inexpensive, and allows you to move (or stay) when the lease term expires -- much more flexibility and less risk and your capital is protected. Money can be made in buying a condo, but it takes time and effort to research the options carefully and fully. My bet is that if you polled the present home (house and condo) owners in Pattaya, 75% or more would say that they regret their decision to buy and wish they had rented, even if they are very happy living in Pattaya. The risk of losing your home is, I think, far over stated and there are ways to make your claims on the property legally very strong (usufruct is one, but not the only one and not a good one for many people). But one of the benefits of ownership is the right to sell it at a price near what you paid (some might even hope for a profit), and that part is missing in Pattaya. So, at least rent until you find a place that you are sure that you will want to keep and live in for a very long time.

Don't take too much notice of the Pattaya haters, however I would visit a few more times and get to know the diffrent area's before buying, 'fredbo43' seems to spend all his posts saying how rubbish it is. I don't understand why ppl just post to say purely negative things. Maybe they are so bored in a small village in Essan and nothing better to do all day.

For some people from a small town maybe it is too busy, but am from in South London and feel Pattaya is much more relaxed and safe. I have been in Issan and other smaller places and for me even though I like it for a week I would rather live in a more busy place like BKK or Pattaya. I know some islands the beaches are better but Pattaya is more pratical and also it is easy and close to have a short break in Koh Samit that has very nice beaches. Also just 10 mins by Motosi from Jomtien there are some really nice quiet beaches, totally diffrent vibe from South Pattaya beach. Cosy beach is nice as well, but sometimes can be crowded.

That said I think it would be better to visit a few more times before buying.

If you are worried about the changing exchange rate, you could get a Thai Baht account and leave the money in Baht until you decide to buy. As long and you mark the money transfier to that account as 'for condo purchase' it does not matter if you don't buy until later. HSBC is a good option for this from the UK. Also don't worry about the prices going up in the near future, the condo market is faily flat for now whatever the agents say.

It took me a few visits to Pattaya, staying in diffrent places as well as many other places in Thailand I decided to buy a condo in Park Lane Jomtien, as the price is good value for me, I like the seperate bedroom, and is 10 mins one way to the busy nightlife and 10 mins the other way to really quiet beaches.

Good luck with your plans

Sensible advice

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Yes, we were planning on visiting again and looking around a bit.

Pattaya is a lot like Brazil (where I'm from) with out the extreme crime and super high prices.

Mainly we are looking for a place to stay 4 to 6 months out of the year.

I'm just trying to get a feel for areas to look for or avoid to save some time.

We want o be near the center of things but far enough away to have some peace when we just want to chill and enjoy life.

I know there is good and bad everywhere and no such thing as a perfect place, I just really feel at home there and my fiance loved it as as well, so it is something we'd like to explore further.

Thanks again for taking the time guys:)

Well all the usual negative dont buy in Pattaya or you will be doomed forever mob on this thread as usual. However there are always two sides to every coin and I have to say I have bought a very nice condo in Pattaya and I am very happy with my purchase. I use it when I am in Thailand and rent it out through the building management when I am not. The place more than pays for itself and I have a very nice retirement bolt hole to come back to in a few years.

Opinions of Pattaya are many and varied but it has pretty much everything that I require in the way of infrastructure, entertainment options, restaurants, golf courses and some nice islands for a getaway a short distance down the coast. So whilst owning a condo might not be the best option for some it certainly is for others !!

And by the way my place in on Pratumnak Hill and I think it is a pretty perfect location being between Pattaya and Jomptien.

Trotski - a Happy Pattaya property owner

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Yes, we were planning on visiting again and looking around a bit.

Pattaya is a lot like Brazil (where I'm from) with out the extreme crime and super high prices.

Mainly we are looking for a place to stay 4 to 6 months out of the year.

I'm just trying to get a feel for areas to look for or avoid to save some time.

We want o be near the center of things but far enough away to have some peace when we just want to chill and enjoy life.

I know there is good and bad everywhere and no such thing as a perfect place, I just really feel at home there and my fiance loved it as as well, so it is something we'd like to explore further.

Thanks again for taking the time guys:)

Then you want to be at Pratumnak Hill.

Dot NOT listen to this poster below, please!!!

Buy a Condo in your own name and don't think about buying a house as the pitfalls are huge and even more difficult to sell.

Foreigners cannot own land and all schemes to get around that are either illegal, costly or at the very least untested for more than first 30 years lease and don't allow you to keep ownership - guaranteed- for more than 30 years or bequeath to another foreigner on death, so it must go to a Thai, to Thailand or to any child with Thai nationality you have - ONLY!!

Only a &lt;deleted&gt; would make the biggest purchase of his life into a house he cannot own and transact in a satisfactory manner and must hope that schemes to circumvent the law will remain solid or that leasing will work out well in the future etc etc. There are also future pitfalls that are unknown now just like it was once perceived that the Company Scheme was great until a better way had to be found when a scare went around. Government always have phases of making problems, enforcing existing laws or new ones etc, as the recent scare 2 years ago about looking into where funds originated from in a company scheme used solely to buy - if funds from foreigner and company set up to buy and not trading in a business having used Thai nominees who resigned, then illegal.

So called simple and totally legal methods are awkward costly get arounds and/or leases that have not been used long enough to test and don't allow for normal ownership rights to bequeath in a will to whoever you want etc etc.

If put in a thai name, it's falling into a government inspired scam. It entices thai's to rip you off by placing such wealth at their disposal as land owner. Sometimes the temptation is too much or relationship breaks down. All other methods of tenure are a poor second to owning outright.......... It could be done better. When a company is formed to own, then the authorities can look at where the funds come from originally. If from foreigner then technically it is illegal and can be siezed. However, when Thai land owner (if in Thai name) kicks out the foreigner or makes problems, why don't the authorities again look at where the funds originated from and tell the Thai land owner that they cannot benefit as clearly it was bought by the foreigner with the foreigner's money?? Much fairer and an equal application of the same ruling, but of course the Thai who puts nothing into the purchase will walk away with 50% to 100% no matter the length of time together or that they have contributed zero financially, as the Thai owns the land.

There's just a simple common sense rule. If you buy something that is not yours to own, then forget it. Would you buy in your own country with these constraints and spend thousands/millions? No way!!!!

It's good for Thailand and Thais, but not best for foreigners unless you can afford to write it off in a worst case scenario in a country that does have a habit of corruption and introducing new ways to penalise foreigners and keep them in check. I think the Thais have it right, they are looking after number one and in their own country. The issue is foreigners fall into priority number 2, so be aware and remain cautious if thinking to make what is usually the biggest purchase of your life, bringing in your foreign currency (as you MUST do) to make a property purchase.

Rule No.2: Generate income and foreign currency.

Edited by twix38

That Usufruct document, if you read it carefully, would seem to contradict a lot of what you have written there twix38.

One poster on the Real Estate forum paid 75 baht to register his usufruct using a standard form at the land office, not costly and not complicated.

Whilst it might not suitable for every application, then living in a condo is not suitable for all either.

Looks like you are still using the old "Pattaya Bar Stool Guide to Property Purchasing and Rumour Mongering" handbook! :)

Well, I've heard what is recommended currently and what a maze that is compared to just owning what you pay for.

Costs are in the thousands of Baht to secure all that is felt necessary and get it right first time. It's a minimum of doing the following with a few pitfalls for the unwary and those trying it on the cheap.

purchase and sale agreement with everything written down

Get and record a mortgage at Land office and on title deed

Need a Lease agreement

Promisory note

POA to sell house

Lease conditions to allow complete control (great care must be taken here).

Part of the reason it IS more costly when done properly is it is soooo easy to fall foul of not having done something correctly or at all, when it finally comes down to using what you have put in place to rely on and it's found not sufficient or comprehensive enough, especially in times of clamp downs/enforcing the spirit of existing laws. Anybody who thinks it's straight forward and cheap, simply doesn't know enough to remove real doubts on security of ownership, Thai revisions/changes of the future and the untested areas.

Come on, I come from the standpoint that if I pay money I want to own it, as is normal and right. The paperwork and schemes and costs are a real pain all together and are untested for over 30 years lease and unable to will it to anyone who is not Thai etc etc is something nobody would accept anywhere else.

Do you have any comments about the temptation I mentioned, that is placed in front of poor thai's to profit from a foreigner's house purchase. At the least this law should also be applied in reverse not only to identify foreigner's using company scheme solely for property purchase, based on where funds originate from but also the same checks where a Thai is to benefit without having paid a thing and possibly not having been with the foreigner for much longer than it took to get the house purchase completed, just because the foreigner felt persuaded by the law that he needed to trust them because he cannot own the land. Let's have a law applied fairly to both parties when there is scope it can be abused by either.

That Usufruct document, if you read it carefully, would seem to contradict a lot of what you have written there twix38.

One poster on the Real Estate forum paid 75 baht to register his usufruct using a standard form at the land office, not costly and not complicated.

Whilst it might not suitable for every application, then living in a condo is not suitable for all either.

Looks like you are still using the old "Pattaya Bar Stool Guide to Property Purchasing and Rumour Mongering" handbook! :)

Edited by twix38

do not !! buy in pattaya untill you have spent a lot of time there, also do some serious checking around, dont go through agents because they,ll skim you for commission, go direct to condo owners and barter with them. fair properties in jomtien have loads of listings google up thier website . honestly when you stay in pattaya for good few mths your ideas about if you want to live there or not will change believe me !!