Barry Kenyon To Retire From British Embassy

Rimmer

The British honorary consul in Pattaya has announced that he will stand down in June 2010 when his current contract expires. The British embassy in Bangkok is expected to advertise the vacancy via its website and in local media over the next few weeks.

Barry Kenyon, who is 68, has been attached to the British embassy since 1997, and became the resort’s first honorary consul on a five year fixed term contract in June 2005. In 2006 he was awarded an MBE for services to the British foreign and commonwealth office.

Honorary consuls are local agents who typically deal with problems such as the arrest of British nationals, deaths, serious hospitalizations and various other categories of distress. Additionally, a consulate was opened in Jomtien in December 2008 to provide a wide variety of notarial services for British nationals in the Pattaya area.

Barry said, “I have certainly had my ups and downs over the years, but it has been a fascinating journey and a great privilege to witness the development of a consular hot spot such as Pattaya. But, after thirteen years, I’m ready to call it a day.” He is the longest serving British officer attached to the consular section of the embassy in Thailand.

As a young man, Barry had a varied career as a journalist and an income tax officer before settling to a career in further education both in Britain and overseas. He graduated with first class honours from Liverpool university in 1964 and taught sociology at two police colleges and at the Open University.

He moved to Thailand in 1993 where he taught English to foreigners before starting up Pattaya bridge club and, later, becoming deputy editor of the fortnightly newspaper Pattaya Today (2003-2008). He has been a regular question setter for the Pattaya trivial pursuits leagues, served as secretary to the fund raising charity Pattaya Gay Festival and is the sole member in Thailand of the Titanic Historical Society.

Barry said that he would spend his retirement travelling more, writing a sensible book about Pattaya and continuing with some community work. He is a familiar figure at the Jomtien immigration police bureau and is expected to continue to assist at the information desk during busy periods.

www.pattayaone.net

post-22250-1267170071_thumb.jpg

post-22250-1267170090_thumb.jpg

Adding to all the other sentiments, I to have nether met him but going on all that I have read about him over the years the MBE seems rather trivial and hope he gets good recognition for his unpaid services.

May be he will become "Sir Barry" in the near future :)

Adding to all the other sentiments, I to have nether met him but going on all that I have read about him over the years the MBE seems rather trivial and hope he gets good recognition for his unpaid services.

May be he will become "Sir Barry" in the near future :)

He is already ("Sir" Barry I mean). Just doesn't use it much.

Yeah, agreed. Great bloke, and extremely witty too.

Got to agree with you and i'm not even british, i'm irish(republic) and i have had a few problems in the past and seeing that my government don't have an embassy in thailand ok we have a consulate in bkk better off if they stayed at home for all the good they are everytime i tried to get in contact with them in the past its impossible, but i have only good words to say about barry as anytime i went to talk to him he is always very helpfull and will be missed by many